• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

At Smash's Gate - The Doom Marine/Doomguy/Doom Slayer Thread

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Just going to leave this image here to get us in the mood for some DOOMING in SMASH BROS! Hopefully this will be the last time that this image will be a pipe dream! :^)

u2Gw3QBCKQi5z-Nsb06QE5ZrGk2CJtk0I4dGNWsTTaM.jpg

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, I've known about SNK for years even before I started playing Smash (the 64 one, to be exact, circa 1999). Sure, SNK never got to be as known like back in the 90s-early 00s (at least outside of BR communities and some parts of Europe), but aren't entirely absent from game stores.

Fan polls are skewed in this regard as well, since not all of them take SNK characters into account.

Just going to leave this image here to get us in the mood for some DOOMING in SMASH BROS! Hopefully this will be the last time that this image will be a pipe dream! :^)
I always like how Samus is like "wait for me!" in this.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

With everything going on, I thought it was time to spruce up my avatar and signature.

I am also, strongly considering picking up DOOM 2016 when I can.
Doom 2016 remains one of the most thrilling and most satisfying games that I have ever played. I played it again recently and I often had this giant, dumb grin on my face.
Honestly, the game is one of my favorite games this decade. It's absolutely phenomenal.

And don't forget the other non-leak related evidence:
Copied from a DM I sent:

Doom Slayer has had a lot going for him besides the leak.
1. Bethesda has been butt buddies with Nintendo since the Switch launch.
2. Every DOOM game has been ported to Switch.
3. It is publicly known that Bethesda has talked to Nintendo about Smash Bros.
4. Reggie said that Nintendo has never been denied a character for Smash.
5. Doom Slayer is both a modern and legacy character. Though Master Chief is probably the most popular FPS character, Doom Slayer is the one that popularized the genre.
6. During one Sakurai interview, he mentioned game developers born in 1970, and the international one he named dropped was John Carmack, whom he referred to as "the father of FPS's".
7. Doom Slayer has been rumored A LOT, and often, when a rumor persists, there's something to it.
8. The leak.

So though I'm not saying it's guaranteed, I give Doom Slayer the same odds I gave Erdrick back when he was omnipresent in leaks, 90%.
Don't forget that in an interview at a Quakecon, someone from Id said they wanted to have Doom content in more crossovers and someone almost said "Like Sup-."
I don't think he's guaranteed either, but there is a lot going for him right now.

Oh! I love this! Can I have the source!

Looma

Smash Journeyman
I think as far as outside music goes, I think I'd probably go with a new Smash original arrangement of The Ultimate Challenge from Wolfenstein 3D.
it kinda needs it
Music is pretty much the only possible way that Wolfenstein can ever be represented, so I'd take what I can get. It's a nice way to pay respects to Doom's own forefather while also dodging its obviously off-limits content.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
C883810A-4A92-473B-949A-1C40BE446289.png
Welp, its not looking good. I would advise to just assume that the leak is fake now to avoid disappointment.

And just know that even if it is fake, it doesn’t impact our chances at all. He was considered a front runner way before this “leak” occured.

Untouch

Smash Master
The fact that Nintendo never took the video down made be think it was a hoax after a while.
Reading between the lines though, I think only the mii costumes are fake, and the DOOMguy or Geno (or both) are next.

There's 2 sources here.
A - Apparently knows FP5, doesn't know about the costumes. I don't know if this is the source that said Ryu/Crash weren't FP5 but it may be.
B - Apparently knows about what costumes are in.

When asked at first, Sabi said that Source A gave a response that made her think it was real, this was before Source A asked Source B about the costumes.
After they were asked, Source A thought the leak was real.
It makes me think that Source A knows FP5 and thought the leak was real based on the implied characters, but Source B hasn't heard about those costumes, so thinks the leak is fake.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
I didn’t speculate that the leak is fake. I was told that it seems to be fake by the source that knows fighter 5. I am asking for a clarification on if just part of it is or all of it, THAT is what I’m clarifying. If something changes, I’ll clarify myself. Just that it seems to be fake. I don’t know if it just applies to the doom part or what, THAT is what I’m trying to figure out for you guys. I’m not sure what else I can say lol, my sources speak for themselves. If this is some misunderstanding and they tell me they were mixed up on the mii thing, I’ll say it relatively soon, whenever i talk to them again. Im just going on what they last told me. I’ve never lied to you guys.
Here is an update to the whole thing

Not sure what this means for our chances if it is in fact fake

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I love how quick some are to jump on the "Doomguy/Geno is dead" train just because that 'leak' didn't pan out. They're still as possible as they were before even if the Mii stuff is fake, but some really don't want them. lol I've never seen such strong feelings against a character since supporting Ridley.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
It looks like Fighter 5 will be a complete curveball now, based on everything that has panned out.

However, he is still very likely imo in post pass. Bethesda admitting to talking about Smash, plus Sakurais praise for Doom makes me think that SOMETHING must’ve happened.

This actually could be a best possible scenario. A curveball character PLUS Doom Slayer? Yes please.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I'm down for a Namco character as fighter #5 if nothing else, though Heihachi would be the weakest way to end the pass for me personally (Lloyd or someone else please). Doomguy as #5 was always kind of a longshot anyway, regardless.

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
While I'm not inclined to think the leak is real and don't particularly want to give anybody false hope, just because Doomguy isn't the next fighter doesn't make it fake necessarily. We don't know the pipeline for this sort of thing and Mii costumes could be created that aren't planned to be released for a long time. We can reasonably guess that if Doomguy was to be released by say June 2020, then the rights to Doom materials may already be approved.

Last edited:

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
When people use words like "most likely" and "seem", it makes it look like they're not sure with what they're saying. This tells us all of nothing and should just wait until that 100% confirmation before saying it's dead.
Also I mean, this is just a single person who could also be wrong.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Whether or not the leak is fake, Bethesda and Nintendo are still pretty chummy these days, Doom is the Ur FPS, and Sakurai has said he loves Doom 2016 so the way I see it Doomguy’s got a pretty good shot, no pun intended

chemo

Smash Apprentice
Whether or not the leak is fake, Bethesda and Nintendo are still pretty chummy these days, Doom is the Ur FPS, and Sakurai has said he loves Doom 2016 so the way I see it Doomguy’s got a pretty good shot, no pun intended
Wait, do you have a source on that?

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I wouldn’t doubt it regardless. Sakurai’s gone outside the box to try out other games and things as a developer. I’m sure he’s at least played a bit of Doom ‘16, even if not directed stated in a source.

doomguywhen1993

Smash Apprentice
The Cacodemon hat looked like he had huge lips and he didn't have the tiny hair bits below him, comparing it to the sprites.
So how faithfull it was is why one could see the leak as fake, but then again, id games do a lot of throwback/fanservice stuff and it's not always accurate.
Even Smash makes mistakes with this.

Also, here's someone at id as Terry Bogard https://twitter.com/idSoftware/status/1190353173652873228

Anyway, Doomguy's design could be his Eternal but even a bit closer to his classic look (Helmet painted grey) and maybe include Doom 64's antenna on his helmet.
For music, there's a lot you can do with Doom 1/2/Even TNT and Mick Gordon's work, while great, feels a bit limited and he has variety when you look at other games he made music for.
For stage, if there's a theme of dimension shifting, use it to represent different games:
* Doom 1: Classic Phobos/Knee Deep in The Dead mixed with classic Hell/Inferno, so it's technically Shores of Hell but we could get a variety of textures and maybe even FIREBLU in HD.
* 2: Similar but mostly focused on city/Earth and there may be a reference to Dead Simple, with Mancubi and Arachnotrons.
* Final: TNT and Plutonia combined like jungle textures and boxes with TNT written on it, may or may not include Archviles hiding somewhere.
* 64: The creepy UAC bases combined with the gothic, dark Hell and you can see D64 Cacos.
* 3: Empty looking labs with UAC posters and computers, maybe some corrupted screens where you can see Betruger or even a reference to the RPG games.
* 2016: Hell in 2016 with bits of Mars base/UAC and hints of UAC presence and something to do with Samuel Hayden.
* Eternal: Another Earth bit but different from Doom 2's part and combined with Night Sentinel/Heaven content.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Real or fake, I was just shaking my head at all the previous people who claimed they made the Mii hat without proof to try and quickly debunk it. Anyone can say they’re Picasso, but doesn’t mean they are.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
I wouldn’t doubt it regardless. Sakurai’s gone outside the box to try out other games and things as a developer. I’m sure he’s at least played a bit of Doom ‘16, even if not directed stated in a source.
I appreciate the vote of confidence, because it’s surprisingly difficult to find translations of Sakurai’s Famitsu columns that aren’t about Nintendo games. If he did write one about Doom, its volume is somewhere in the early 500’s, but sorry chemo chemo , beyond that I can’t find a source

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
Once again, describing things in a way that makes it look like they aren't sure. If it isn't a 100% than it leaves room for possibility even as small as it is. Until it's proven fake with complete certainty, don't even bother.

D

Deleted member

Once again, describing things in a way that makes it look like they aren't sure. If it isn't a 100% than it leaves room for possibility even as small as it is. Until it's proven fake with complete certainty, don't even bother.
I feel the same way.
I feel like the case with the leak isn't closed just yet and there is still room to consider with it.

I love how quick some are to jump on the "Doomguy/Geno is dead" train just because that 'leak' didn't pan out. They're still as possible as they were before even if the Mii stuff is fake, but some really don't want them. lol I've never seen such strong feelings against a character since supporting Ridley.
You could say that this could be good for Doomguy actually. People don't want it to be real so their character can get in. People fear this leak because it potentially means who the final character is. When stuff like this happens, people focus their negative energy towards the biggest target it seems.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace

Just so we're clear. It's in the maybe fake territory. Though I'm on Team Fake myself.

Still think Doom Slayer is likely #5. I mean, I think it's him or a Capcom character (RE or DMC) if it's a TGA reveal.

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace

Just so we're clear. It's in the maybe fake territory. Though I'm on Team Fake myself.

Still think Doom Slayer is likely #5. I mean, I think it's him or a Capcom character (RE or DMC) if it's a TGA reveal.
Papa bless, giving it to me straight. Good to know where we are on this. To be fair, it's the same place as we were before but still good to know.

Room100

Smash Apprentice
Keep in mind, if the leak is fake it doesn't mean anything for the Slayer's chances, even as #5. I don't see how the leak being fake would affect his chances as #5 besides maybe now there'd be more evidence for other characters

TheFVguy

Smash Apprentice

Still, think Doom Slayer is likely #5. I mean, I think it's him or a Capcom character (RE or DMC) if it's a TGA reveal.
Yeah, I'm also on Team Fake. As much as I want Doomguy, I'm not trusting possible fake leaks. Ever since the Grinch leak, I refuse to invest myself in any leaks that even have a slight possibility on being fake.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Well I guess this taught the new modding community a thing or two, if nothing else.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Well, the leak seems dead, but I still believe that Doom Slayer is coming. Just too many facts in his favor.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I kinda suspected it was going to be a Smash 4 Rayman situation.

Still, I guess Doomguy’s chances were artificially inflated, but now they’re just back to how they were.

Top Bottom