• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

At Smash's Gate - The Doom Marine/Doomguy/Doom Slayer Thread

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
Geno feels far to niche to be revealed at something like The Game Awards, he'd fit perfectly into a direct of some kind though. Also these reveal trailers are like 2 minutes a piece, a lot of other companies would be trying to get their games shown off. And with E3, I mean that was Nintendo's thing, they can do whatever they want.
Also Lloyd's a bad choice for a Bamco character, don't @ me.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Not to gatekeep Namco characters but for those of you worried that a Namco rep could take #5, Sakurai said this back during Smash 4 in his interview about Pac-Man

http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/06/26/800/
Interviewer: Between Bandai and Namco, were there any other strong candidates for inclusion as a fighter?

Sakurai: There were none. We basically thought of all the characters at the start of development. We decided on characters we knew we could make. However, there were a few in consideration, such as Heihachi from “Tekken.”

Interviewer: Heihachi!

Sakurai: That’s right. However, implementing Heihachi’s movement in Smash would be difficult…
Sure things could change by then but sometimes the problems can remain the same and we haven't seen any more Namco characters join the game so unless something comes up, I'm not too worried about anyone competing with Doom Guy.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
I’d like to be signed up for the support list if I haven’t already

Also, I’d probably get hate for saying this, but I really hope we get Dovahkin and Vault Boy Mii costumes if Doom Slayer gets in (I’ve always been a fan of both of franchises, even if 76 ruined the latter).

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
I’d like to be signed up for the support list if I haven’t already

Also, I’d probably get hate for saying this, but I really hope we get Dovahkin and Vault Boy Mii costumes if Doom Slayer gets in (I’ve always been a fan of both of franchises, even if 76 ruined the latter).
If we're fantasising then I'd like to see Quake Ranger with his face texture because it would be funny
ranger.png

BJ Blazkowicz and Commander Keen are also natural id choices. For Fallout I think NCR ranger, Enclave and BoS armor would work well as costumes.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Geno feels far to niche to be revealed at something like The Game Awards, he'd fit perfectly into a direct of some kind though. Also these reveal trailers are like 2 minutes a piece, a lot of other companies would be trying to get their games shown off. And with E3, I mean that was Nintendo's thing, they can do whatever they want.
Also Lloyd's a bad choice for a Bamco character, don't @ me.
I could see Doom Slayer being revealed at the VGA and then in January an mini-Smash direct where Geno's revealed.
Not to gatekeep Namco characters but for those of you worried that a Namco rep could take #5, Sakurai said this back during Smash 4 in his interview about Pac-Man

http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/06/26/800/

Sure things could change by then but sometimes the problems can remain the same and we haven't seen any more Namco characters join the game so unless something comes up, I'm not too worried about anyone competing with Doom Guy.
And even then whose to say Doom Slayer can't be post-Pass? We'd be waiting longer sure but he'd still get in so win-win.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
And even then whose to say Doom Slayer can't be post-Pass? We'd be waiting longer sure but he'd still get in so win-win.
That is true and there would be no harm in having him post pass but if the Mii hats are real, it would give us a good indication that Doom Guy and Geno could be next.

CharacterCrisisKing

Smash Apprentice
I know there was already a discussion about this earlier in the thread but people seem to be talking about it again, so I guess I'll ask the question.

How do you guys think Doomguy's trailer should go? Personally, I think it should have something to do with him saving Luigi from Hell or something like that, since he straight-up died in an earlier trailer. Seeing him fight alongside (or against) Samus or Snake would be pretty cool too imo.
Alright, as a Dungeon Master and aspiring writer I'm gonna try to do good with this...

Dusk darkens to night as a red portal opens, the edges burning and sizzling, eagerly tearing at the air. Electricity crackles along the portal and suddenly, a black box marked Nintendo shoots from it, closing the portal with a snap. The box falls, leaving a contrail, before landing with a thud on red groud. Scarlet sand half-buries it. We pan up from the box to see a futuristic tower, glowing from the heat of a distant battle.
Explosions obscure our battlefield as a grenade's pin is pulled, and the grenade is thrown. We follow it into a destroyed room where fires rage and alarms blare. A computer screen showing the original DOOM crashes to the floor next to the bomb, fizzling and dying. The grenade explodes and the camera shoots out of the room.
A figure in the smoke raises a heavy, pronged weapon as shadowy enemies circle it. A fireball lights the face of an imp before it is thrown at the mysterious figure. The figure dodges to the side and a blast of blue energy cuts through the smoke and sends the imp flying.
Cut to the box. The imp lands next to it, only its hand and arm visible. Boots clunk closer to the fallen demon, then stop. The camera circles slowly around as the figure holsters its Gauss Cannon. A hand reaches for the box, and the light reveals it is wreathed in green armor.
An over-the-shoulder shot of the figure as it raises the box. Locks click apart and with a hiss, the box falls to pieces and an envelope flutters gently toward the ground. It is snatched from the air, and the visor of the Praetor helmet reflects the Smash logo stamped onto the letter. Behind the envelope, reflected pieces of the box roll across the dusty earth and assemble into a small pad. A portal tears itself into being, lighting up a runic symbol above the visor as the envelope is lowered out of sight. We zoom forward into the figure's eyes as he raises a Super Shotgun and steps into the portal.
Battlefield. Mario sends Link into the blast zone with a smash. Scarlet glows behind him and we hear the click of the Super Shotgun. We pan past Mario as he turns. The Doomslayer fires, and the *challenger approaching* card plays:
DOOMSLAYER
Rips and Tears!

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I’m really curious about his Classic Mode run. I think it’s going to be all horde battles with all the “monster” like characters. Each path representing a different demon. Fits the theme of Doom perfectly since it’s one vs a bunch of demons.

Final boss, I’m having trouble deciding who to pick. It’s definitely going to be either Giga Bowser or Ganon. Both look a lot like the Cyberdemon. Definitely see them making you fight Giga Bowser on the omega version of the doom stage or something. Or just reuse the beast Ganon fight since the landscape is pretty hellish. But in the boss fight I bet “Nobody Told Me About Id” will be playing since they have the opportunity to reference the Cyberdemon fight with two different bosses.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Why not just have it be the Cyberdemon? Is a new boss too much to hope for?
Us Banjo & Kazooie fans hoped for a Gruntilda boss fight so I don't expect much hope for a Cyber Demon boss fight either.

Last edited:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Id definitley see fights against :ultbayonetta::ultbowser::ultcharizard::ultganondorf::ultridley::ultdarksamus::ultdarkpit: in his classic run. Idk if theyd pick Giga Bowser or Ganon, but I wouldnt mind one over the other. As for names for his run, they could go with "At Smash's Gate", "Knee Deep In the Brawl", "Ultra Violence", "Nightmare", "Demonic Invasiom Detected", or even "The Slayer Has Entered The Battle"

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Us Banjo & Kazooie fans hoped for a Gruntilda boss fight so I don't expect much hope for a Cyber Demon boss fight either.
You know, I recall someone in the Geno thread bringing up how well the classic Cyber Demon design would work as a Mii outfit for the gunner. What do you guys thing?

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
I, for one, am expecting Doom Slayer to release with the 7.0.0 update, which would add 4 new bosses to the game : CyberDemon and Porky as "dark" bosses, and 2 other bosses as "light" bosses, don't know who they would be tho

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I, for one, am expecting Doom Slayer to release with the 7.0.0 update, which would add 4 new bosses to the game : CyberDemon and Porky as "dark" bosses, and 2 other bosses as "light" bosses, don't know who they would be tho
In b4 "Cyberdemon is too grotesque for Smash".

CharacterCrisisKing

Smash Apprentice
booo.
At least we'll be able to rock out to DOOM by DOOM while we DOOM our opponents via the DOOMguy on the DOOM stage
DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

volbound1700

Smash Master
I don't think we are getting any new content other than Characters, Spirits, Stages, and Mii Costumes.

Stepping out of the Newcomer Speculation thread. Wow is that thread populated by some whiny babies.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Doomguy is the definition of fun once you have an idea on how to play him, so he's good there.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
booo.
At least we'll be able to rock out to DOOM by DOOM while we DOOM our opponents via the DOOMguy on the DOOM stage
DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM
This post gave me GIR flashbacks.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I don't think we are getting any new content other than Characters, Spirits, Stages, and Mii Costumes.

Stepping out of the Newcomer Speculation thread. Wow is that thread populated by some whiny babies.
What are they complaining about?

D

Deleted member

Today seems to be a major victory for Doomguy. He survived the potential Mii costume apocalypse and the Cacodemon Mii hat was nowhere to be found. Not only that, but the leak got some boost in credibility by the fact that Ken and the Miis weren't changed at all this patch. I say that boosts his chance a bit until we hear anything from other leakers, who I am sure will come out of the woodwork.

Between this among the other signs I've noticed (Sakurai praising John Carmack as the father of FPSs, Bethesda talking to Nintendo about Smash, Nintendo pushing for Doom, the slip up at Quakecon, etc.), I say he's in a good position right now. I don't think he is definitely Fighter #5 yet; I think he has competition from Dragonborn (because Skyrim and Todd loves Skyrim), Heihachi or Lloyd (as their Mii costumes are MIA), and Arle (I've been seeing her name a lot lately).

All we can do is wait.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
What alt colors would he have?
For me, I’d say:

* Doom Eternal Praetor Suit
* Doom Eternal Classic Armor
* White suit with black trims and cyan visor (Hayden or the Night Sentinels)
* Indigo Classic Armor
* Dark red with bright orange visor (Elite Guard)
* Yellow Classic Armor
* Dark green armor with gold trims, glowing red visor and Doom blade made of Argent energy (Marauder)
* Red Classic Armor

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Well, after the presentation, we're still living.

(Terry looks cool, BTW)

NO Mii Costumes in sight. Time to wait for the VGA show, I guess.

:bowser:.

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
Hey, I've been lurking this and other threads for a while now, since Doom Slayer is one of my most wanted characters. I have two questions I want to ask everyone.

1. Regarding Sakurai's "Smash is for good boys and girls" remark, do you think he would not put him in Smash if he thought too much censorship would make him too different from the source material, like with Mai?

2. If he does make it, do you think getting the rights to classic Doom music from Doom I and II would be a real hassle? I'm pretty sure Bobby Prince owns the rights to them and I don't know how stingy or willing he is with his copyright.

tactical_meme

Smash Rookie
Hey, I've been lurking this and other threads for a while now, since Doom Slayer is one of my most wanted characters. I have two questions I want to ask everyone.

1. Regarding Sakurai's "Smash is for good boys and girls" remark, do you think he would not put him in Smash if he thought too much censorship would make him too different from the source material, like with Mai?
I don't think there's too much to change for Doomguy to fit into Smash. Really the only issue I can see is the excessive gore, but that can easily be done away with while still retaining basically every other aspect of the character. I guess there's the guns as well but there are other characters that use guns anyways, and if for some reason it's still an issue, they can just stick to the more sci-fi guns like the plasma rifle and gauss cannon.

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace

2. If he does make it, do you think getting the rights to classic Doom music from Doom I and II would be a real hassle? I'm pretty sure Bobby Prince owns the rights to them and I don't know how stingy or willing he is with his copyright.
1. Doomslayer would only need the gore taken out, and if Snake and Bayo can work without bloodshed, Doomguy should work just fine. Mai wasn't invited cause they'd need to cover the whole tiddy.

2. I mean, the music is in the re-releases they did for the two just as it used to be so, I feel things should go fine. The real issue would be how they're more than a little inspired by real music and that might be the fickle thing.

TerminatorLOL

Smash Journeyman

There nothing to censor. The only concern to be had was if realistic guns were ok, and Joker already proved that they are. Even if they weren't there are plenty of sci-fi weapons to pick from.

Gore is not an issue, because Smash has none, and won't need to add any because there is nothing gory about the character himself (where as Mai's sex appeal is a big part of her design). He punches, kicks, stabs, and shoots, nothing that others before him haven't already done. If Bayo and Joker got in fine without blood so there is no reason that Doom Slayer needs it either.

Last edited:
Top Bottom