• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

At Smash's Gate - The Doom Marine/Doomguy/Doom Slayer Thread

doomguywhen1993

Smash Apprentice
Doom 3 had some interesting design ideas but the gameplay for the enemies lacks variety, so some feel like they share the same attacks with some differences and only some others actually act differently.
In 2016 and hopefully in Eternal, most enemies can fill a niche.

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
You know, after playing a bit of Doom 3, I'm thinking about whether the demons exclusive to that game could be in Doom Eternal.

Like, for example, the Vagary. That's a demon that I think has the potential to be a better boss for Doom Eternal than she was in Doom 3. Though I'm not sure what people would think if the Cherubs were added. Also, the Maggot has a design that I think is pretty interesting. I feel like there's so much more to pull from Doom 3 for Doom Eternal than they did for Doom 2016 (Like the Hell Knight design, for example).
Keep in mind that we're also going to be fighting the forces of Heaven, so we may or may not see certain Doom 3 Demons (particularly the Cherubs as you mentioned) recycled into Angels, either fully or under a different name.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
In 2016 and hopefully in Eternal, most enemies can fill a niche.
This is a key point of Doom that doesnt get mentioned a lot. In Doom 2 and 2016, every enemy is recognizable and doesnt overlap with another enemy save for a few variwnt types. Eternal has a LOT of new enemies but I still hope theyre all unique enough to stand out from each other. From what ive seen so far the new enemies are looking good, like the barrier/shield guy and the Doom Hunter, so well see.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
You know, after playing a bit of Doom 3, I'm thinking about whether the demons exclusive to that game could be in Doom Eternal.

Like, for example, the Vagary. That's a demon that I think has the potential to be a better boss for Doom Eternal than she was in Doom 3. Though I'm not sure what people would think if the Cherubs were added. Also, the Maggot has a design that I think is pretty interesting. I feel like there's so much more to pull from Doom 3 for Doom Eternal than they did for Doom 2016 (Like the Hell Knight design, for example).
I wouldn't be opposed to seeing more Doom 3 designs.

With glory kills being a thing though, I really REALLY don't think Cherubs would be a good idea.......

D

Deleted member

It's a shame that Doom Eternal got delayed, but I had a feeling this was coming. We haven't heard of any significant news about the game for a while, so I found the delay to be possible.

Regardless, this shouldn't affect Doom Slayer at all. The Fighters Pass project plan is done and if he was meant to promote Doom Eternal by being announced in November, then it will still happen.
In the meantime, all we can do is hope and wait for Doom Slayer to appear in Ultimate. I've been playing the original Doom and replaying 2016; 2016 still remains one of the most thrilling and exciting games that I ever played. I'm... kinda hyping myself up at the thought of him appearing, but I won't expect him just yet. Part of me thinks there are some pieces on the board that suggests he might be in Smash, but I wouldn't call anything concrete just yet.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So I got the Soul Cube in Doom 3.

...This thing has saved me many times so far and I am thankful for every single time that it saved me. I want it usable in Eternal.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Reminder that it cameo'd in Doom 2016.

SoulCube-Doom2016.jpg

It really was your best friend, especially on Nightmare difficulty. Wouldn't mind being reunited with it.

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
I remember originally dismissing "Nobody told me about id" as a track for Smash due to it's rather slow pace.

Now, I think I've found a version that may have some viability...

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
It's a shame that Doom Eternal got delayed, but I had a feeling this was coming. We haven't heard of any significant news about the game for a while, so I found the delay to be possible.

Regardless, this shouldn't affect Doom Slayer at all. The Fighters Pass project plan is done and if he was meant to promote Doom Eternal by being announced in November, then it will still happen.
Yeah I'm bummed that its delayed but I have faith they're gonna deliver a good game.
And yeah, if Doom Slayer is already planned as DLC, a delay isn't gonna get in the way of that. It might just mess up their planned marketing.

TindalosKeeper

Smash Apprentice
Uh oh...

Seeing whoever was responsible, he has no idea what happened, he just replied to this... (By responsible, I mean the account tagged in Harada's rampage, which is the same DoomSquidKid or something)

So of course it would look like a big spam of characters, and the idiot goes to tag Sakurai and Harada, lmao.

Maybe do NOT use Twitter for your character support?

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Yeah, after how Sora got shut down like that, others kinda figured to backpedal on such twitter movement attempts. For the best really. Sakurai made an english tweet back in like November specifically not too do this too iirc (flooding them with @ mentions for character requests that is).

Good thing the K. Rool and Ridley twitter support accounts had already succeeded in their goal at least.

Last edited:

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
The Endgame meme really isn't connected to the #Sora4Smash hashtag at all. A bunch of Smash campaign accounts were just having fun with a meme and then one guy tagged Harada

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Uh oh...

Seeing whoever was responsible, he has no idea what happened, he just replied to this... (By responsible, I mean the account tagged in Harada's rampage, which is the same DoomSquidKid or something)

So of course it would look like a big spam of characters, and the idiot goes to tag Sakurai and Harada, lmao.

I wouldn't put too much stock into this. I doubt Sakurai is the vindictive type to intentionally exclude characters due to some spammer on Twitter.
If it were that easy, then trolls would start spamming to intentionally screw over popular characters that they personally dislike.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I mean you can use twitter to rally up support by finding others who also might want said character. Perfectly fine and harmless, but it should be common courtesy to not go tag crazy at developers. This was just a wakeup call or reminder of that.

D

Deleted member

Yeah I'm bummed that its delayed but I have faith they're gonna deliver a good game.
And yeah, if Doom Slayer is already planned as DLC, a delay isn't gonna get in the way of that. It might just mess up their planned marketing.
I am glad that Id is taking their time with Eternal. After Fallout 76, I was extremely worried that Eternal might end up being buggy and rushed. Seeing the delay made me happy in that regard and it made me more excited for the game.

One dream scenario I had was that at the VGA this year, they would show off a new trailer for Eternal and after the logo shows up and the screen fades to black, we seemingly get a bit extra afterwards of what seems to be gameplay. The gameplay would show off a new location of a high tech facility, but then we see Mario's cap on the ground and Samus's destroyed Varia suit... and then we see Doom Slayer go into the next room to shoot at Ridley. Cue the Smash splash screen "Doom Slayer Rips and Tears Through!"

Uh oh...

It's fine to show your support for a character and get the word out there like Sora, but yes. We should never involve the developers in these conversations. I don't blame Harada being frustrated from this... if I were him, I would be too.

Massive respect points to him though.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
I am glad that Id is taking their time with Eternal. After Fallout 76, I was extremely worried that Eternal might end up being buggy and rushed. Seeing the delay made me happy in that regard and it made me more excited for the game.

One dream scenario I had was that at the VGA this year, they would show off a new trailer for Eternal and after the logo shows up and the screen fades to black, we seemingly get a bit extra afterwards of what seems to be gameplay. The gameplay would show off a new location of a high tech facility, but then we see Mario's cap on the ground and Samus's destroyed Varia suit... and then we see Doom Slayer go into the next room to shoot at Ridley. Cue the Smash splash screen "Doom Slayer Rips and Tears Through!"

It's fine to show your support for a character and get the word out there like Sora, but yes. We should never involve the developers in these conversations. I don't blame Harada being frustrated from this... if I were him, I would be too.

Massive respect points to him though.
The weird thing is Harada didn't even mention the guy that tagged him in the first place

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I really hope this Harada thing doesn’t screw us over. That sucks.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Bruh, the DLC's were already decided before this regardless (the post-fighter pass DLC too I imagine). Don't let Harada or Harada stans kill the hype for you.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
I implore you guys to not take Harada so seriously, he likes to troll and this time managed to incite harassment against innocent parties but I guess everyone is just ok with that. He's not actually that petty, and even if he was he has no power over Smash's roster or negotiations.

Last edited:

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
I implore you guys to not take Harada so seriously, he likes to troll and this time managed to incite harassment against innocent parties but I guess everyone is just ok with that. He's not actually that petty, and even if he was he has no power over Smash's roster or negotiations.
Aye, that's the thing; it was one guy who tagged Harada into thread with replies from a moxxa of support accounts, causing the latter to get wrongfully BTFO'd by Harada without him realising the former as being the one responsible, allowing them to get off scott-free.

Even when this guy tried to explain the situation to Harada, he got a a reply from Harada that basically sent him into a depressive spiral (or at least exacerbated an existing spiral): https://twitter.com/CackoDaemon?s=09

And regardless as to whether he's trolling with this statement, people are going to take it seriously for better or for worse (like that one guy in the PapaGenos server who reveled in the possibility that certain characters were to be a expelled from the running, to which I suggested he start enjoying having the newspaper be transposed upside his head).
Seeing Sora4Smash trending on Twitter is pretty huge. Now the Doomguy For Smash Discord server is going to try the same thing on October 20th. Here's a link to the Discord server:
https://discord.gg/MXwEaYZ
Oh HELL NO!

That was the exact thing that Sakurai wished not to occur, since it just invites spamming in general.

Has this latest debacle with Harada convinced them otherwise?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Bruh, the DLC's were already decided before this regardless (the post-fighter pass DLC too I imagine). Don't let Harada or Harada stans kill the hype for you.
Seriously. It's the same line of thinking as people who assume that characters are taken out of Nitro-Fueled just because their names stop showing up in the datamine.

Programmers and higher-ups can do impressive things, but they aren't wizards that change things on a whim. Besides, we don't know what characters they're planning to include, so it's not like anything got leaked. It's no different than when Sak politely asked people to stop posting suggestions on Twitter after the base game's release.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I just wanna know why they @'d Harada to begin with, he literally has nothing to do with Smash.
I can think of two possible reasons:

A) Harada is a higher-up at Namco-Bandai, which is developing (or involved in the development of) Smash

B) People can be idiots

Looma

Smash Journeyman
Aye, that's the thing; it was one guy who tagged Harada into thread with replies from a moxxa of support accounts, causing the latter to get wrongfully BTFO'd by Harada without him realising the former as being the one responsible, allowing them to get off scott-free.

Even when this guy tried to explain the situation to Harada, he got a a reply from Harada that basically sent him into a depressive spiral (or at least exacerbated an existing spiral): https://twitter.com/CackoDaemon?s=09
"harada can't have possibly approached this inconvenience the wrong way because he's the tekken guy and I like tekken"

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
If Doom Slayer was chosen as a DLC character, he isn't going to be scrapped because of Eternal's delay, or because Harada got mad at people on twitter. That would be a massive waste of development time, money, and effort.

Harada just wanted people to shut up (rightfully) and he is trying to scare people into being less annoying.

Like do people ACTUALLY think Sakurai is just gonna go "well, Harada said people were annoying on twitter so..." and then just drag and drop a finished character into the trash? After all the licensing and work that goes into every third party character?

Last edited:

CharacterCrisisKing

Smash Apprentice
HOLY YEAH
JAB: Melee buttons, finish with pistol shot
FSMASH: Chainsaw
USMASH: Plasma rifle, 3 shots
DSMASH: Gauss Cannon downwards causes shockwave
GRAB: Glory Kill
UTHROW: Shotgun blast
DTHROW: Curbstomped
FTHROW: Yeeted, then 3 shots from the Assault Rifle
BTHROW: Pistol-whipped
FTILT: Kick
UTILT: Chainsaw stab
DTILT: Bootjets to either side (like ZSS)
NSPECIAL: Super Shotgun, like Banjo's or Joker's but with killpower
SSPECIAL: Summon Pinky, which charges horizontally.
DSPECIAL: Requires in-depth explanation
USPECIAL: Summons Cacodemon, which holds Doomslayer and rises. Pressing the button again fires a fireball. Can be directionally controlled like K.Rool's or Snake's.
The Down Special is the Rocket Launcher, which Doomslayer wields while kneeling like Snake's Nakita. A reticle appears that you control, pressing again fires the rocket in a straight line. If you lock the reticle to an opponent, it fires three rockets at the same time which home to the opponent.
FINAL SMASH: BFG

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If Doom Slayer was chosen as a DLC character, he isn't going to be scrapped because of Eternal's delay, or because Harada got mad at people on twitter. That would be a massive waste of development time, money, and effort.

Harada just wanted people to shut up (rightfully) and he is trying to scare people into being less annoying.

Like do people ACTUALLY think Sakurai is just gonna go "well, Harada said people were annoying on twitter so..." and then just drag and drop a finished character into the trash? After all the licensing and work that goes into every third party character?
See, I think the issue is that if it were Kamiya instead, people would take it for granted, since Kamiya insults people all the time. Harada is facetious on a less frequent basis.

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
"harada can't have possibly approached this inconvenience the wrong way because he's the tekken guy and I like tekken"
Don't joke, those are the words of a broken man.
HOLY YEAH
JAB: Melee buttons, finish with pistol shot
FSMASH: Chainsaw
USMASH: Plasma rifle, 3 shots
DSMASH: Gauss Cannon downwards causes shockwave
GRAB: Glory Kill
UTHROW: Shotgun blast
DTHROW: Curbstomped
FTHROW: Yeeted, then 3 shots from the Assault Rifle
BTHROW: Pistol-whipped
FTILT: Kick
UTILT: Chainsaw stab
DTILT: Bootjets to either side (like ZSS)
NSPECIAL: Super Shotgun, like Banjo's or Joker's but with killpower
SSPECIAL: Summon Pinky, which charges horizontally.
DSPECIAL: Requires in-depth explanation
USPECIAL: Summons Cacodemon, which holds Doomslayer and rises. Pressing the button again fires a fireball. Can be directionally controlled like K.Rool's or Snake's.
The Down Special is the Rocket Launcher, which Doomslayer wields while kneeling like Snake's Nakita. A reticle appears that you control, pressing again fires the rocket in a straight line. If you lock the reticle to an opponent, it fires three rockets at the same time which home to the opponent.
FINAL SMASH: BFG
Interesting. The Doom Slayer never struck me as a "beastmaster" character (especially when it comes to him cooperating with his sworn enemies) but it's unique nonetheless.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
Don't joke, those are the words of a broken man.
Last time I'll be acknowledging this subject because I just realized that it looks like I'm making fun of the person in the link and I want to make it clear that is not the case. I wanted to rib the ridiculous stans but it looked like I was mocking this person's depressive spiral instead which makes me look awful.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Started my Resurrection of Evil play through.

The Grabber is just so cool! Throwing Imp fireballs back at them feels so satisfying, oh my god.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Started my Resurrection of Evil play through.

The Grabber is just so cool! Throwing Imp fireballs back at them feels so satisfying, oh my god.
Imps' fireballs are harder to consistently catch and throw back though due to the timing and trajectory of their projectile. The xenomorph like Vulgar on the other hand, you'll succeed with them pretty much every time. Smaller enemies like Cherubs you can instantly kill with the Grabber too! Background objects like random boxes or tools you can grab and throw at enemies as a quick defense mechanism as well.

Probably the funnest challenge is catching a Revenant's rocket with the Grabber, though more often than not you'll merely deflect it than send it back at them. Throwing Hell Knight's fireballs back at them is probably the most satisfying in the sense of how much ammo it saves you, though it takes a few of their projectiles to put them down, and so can get kinda redundant.

Posting this for posterity I guess since I came across it.

image0.jpg

I know there's actual Japanese Doom fans and such, but seeing it from the normie/casuals' perspective is still funny. "Green Samus" is not at all dissimilar to the nicknames that Western Smash fans come up with for the anime swordsmen and such.

GolisoPower

Smash Master

I know there's actual Japanese Doom fans and such, but seeing it from the normie/casuals' perspective is still funny. "Green Samus" is not at all dissimilar to the nicknames that Western Smash fans come up with for the anime swordsmen and such.
That list of comments sort of reminds me of this list of comments I saw about Little Mac when he got revealed for Smash 4.

Though I will ask, did Japan’s perception of Punch-Out!! get better since Mac’s reveal? Because if Doom Slayer makes it in, hopefully it’ll be a similar case.

Last edited:

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
Imps' fireballs are harder to consistently catch and throw back though due to the timing and trajectory of their projectile. The xenomorph like Vulgar on the other hand, you'll succeed with them pretty much every time. Smaller enemies like Cherubs you can instantly kill with the Grabber too! Background objects like random boxes or tools you can grab and throw at enemies as a quick defense mechanism as well.

Probably the funnest challenge is catching a Revenant's rocket with the Grabber, though more often than not you'll merely deflect it than send it back at them. Throwing Hell Knight's fireballs back at them is probably the most satisfying in the sense of how much ammo it saves you, though it takes a few of their projectiles to put them down, and so can get kinda redundant.

View attachment 242711

I die every time he's compared with Chief or Samus

Oh, those sweet summer children...

TindalosKeeper

Smash Apprentice
I die every time he's compared with Chief or Samus

Oh, those sweet summer children...
With more reason they need an actual history lesson from Sakurai itself.
Maybe when they see what Doom Slayer can do, if he happens to be in Smash (Assuming he'll get an ammo/weapon wheel gimmick), then we'll see if they keep comparing him to Samus or Snake (No idea why Snake, even they are summing them up as in: Samus + Snake = Doom Slayer).

If they also get angry with his inclusion, they shouldn't be when the West ate up 6 (SIX! SEIS!) FE reps (excluding Chrom as an echo). Absolutely no right to be upset at this point when they also have their biggest guy, which is Hero.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
"Checked on wiki, game is violent, don't think it'll make it".

Like the same and more couldn't of been said for Bayonetta before December 2015? Those people are something else. At least there was one good comment out of that translated pile of rubbish though.
"I beat Switch version so personally I like his inclusion. Mii costume is good enough though."

I know it's kinda looked down upon to play bothsideism, but the normie Smash fans' takes from what I see of both the East and West really suck sometimes. That said, the Western gamers who crap on JRPG's and bemoaned like Hero's inclusion should be called out as much as the Japanese fans who ganged up on Little Mac, whom will likely be the same way about Doomguy if he's included just as most of the West was about Hero. Toxicity goes both ways.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm open with just about anyone. Even lame possibilities like Kiddy Kong. So you won't see me dump on anyone, just wonder how legally viable some choices are when some immediately assume they stand a chance.

People just make up excuses for characters that they, themselves don't want, and there's no bigger way to be self-centered that that. It's basically like hating vegetables until you actually try them out for the first time.

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
I know it's kinda looked down upon to play bothsideism, but the normie Smash fans' takes from what I see of both the East and West really suck sometimes. That said, the Western gamers who crap on JRPG's and bemoaned like Hero's inclusion should be called out as much as the Japanese fans who ganged up on Little Mac, whom will likely be the same way about Doomguy if he's included just as most of the West was about Hero. Toxicity goes both ways.
I say let the bad opinions flow. If the west can dunk on Hero then the east can do the same on anyone they deem "bad", tis only fair.

Top Bottom