• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

At Smash's Gate - The Doom Marine/Doomguy/Doom Slayer Thread

GolisoPower

Smash Master

Looks like Eternal has been delayed.

Now comes out March 20, 2020 on everything but Switch with Switch coming latter.
Well, that's a shame. Was looking forward to November. But if it means all this, then that's fine. Besides, didn't they delay Doom 2016 before release?

EDIT: I also really hope that Doom Eternal's Switch release isn't too far off.

Last edited:

TindalosKeeper

Smash Apprentice
So yeah the November release argument is fully dead damn
Not really, it's still the original release date for the game.

Being delayed wouldn't affect its chances, it could even bring more sales when March drops (IF Doom Slayer is still set to appear as fighter in November).

But who knows? I'm just expecting a sleeper pick already over the most wanted/likely.

EDIT: But in my opinion about the delay... Yeah, very disappointed. Like I said, I absolutely despise patterns/coincidences. Gives hope, but at the same time, it could mean nothing.

Last edited:

Smashhacker

Smash Rookie
Wouldn't this technically help Doomguy in Smash as the 5th dlc fighter since he could still be a promotional fighter and release before Doom Eternal comes out?

TindalosKeeper

Smash Apprentice
Wouldn't this technically help Doomguy in Smash as the 5th dlc fighter since he could still be a promotional fighter and release before Doom Eternal comes out?
Basically. As I'm looking around on 4chan, people is indeed picking on Doom Slayer being deconfirmed already and ****ting on the character as a bonus, lmao.
They are already forgetting the many other possibilities why Doom Slayer can get in, but they prefer the ****post.
It's still for fun, though.

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
I was expecting the Switch version to get delayed but every version delay+extra Switch delay+Doom 64 delay? It doesn't affect Doomguy in Smash at all except maybe getting people to question the basis of their speculation.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
It's a shame that Doom Eternal was delayed, but it's better for the game to be delayed than for it to be rushed and buggy.

I was planning to get the Switch version, and I was already expecting a delay for that one - it's the only version that isn't available for pre-order through sites like Best Buy or EB Games. It's a pity that the Switch version isn't launching the same day as the other versions, like what was originally announced, but I suppose it's hard to avoid. (it seems like it would be harder to get it working on the Switch)

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Been taking a bit of hiatus but this news brought me back.
I was expecting the Switch version to get delayed but every version delay+extra Switch delay+Doom 64 delay? It doesn't affect Doomguy in Smash at all except maybe getting people to question the basis of their speculation.
According to their twitter, Doom 64 is releasing on March 22 on Switch like the other platforms. It’s just Eternal getting delayed.

If they decided on Doom Slayer being in the fighter pass, this probably won’t affect anything except maybe if they decided to tie in the reveal with the game’s release.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
The delay isn’t Metroid Prime 4 levels of sad, as it’s only a few months and we at least know when it’s happening, but I had nothing else in November that I was nearly as eager for, so still disappointing to an extent.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I get that enough with the CTR speculation scene (can't wait for that Neon Circus though). Plans can be changed, nothing stays solid forever, things can be moved and released for later, the game dev scene is like the ocean; no one can tame it.

If they decided on Doom Slayer being in the fighter pass, this probably won’t affect anything except maybe if they decided to tie in the reveal with the game’s release.
Yeah, I just hope that people won't suddenly go into a "they delayed the game on purpose to shill Doom Slayer's appearance in Smash after all!" conspiracy. It would simply be a coincidence.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Doom: Eternal gets delayed

My thoughts: Good
I was planning to play the DOOM series for eternal next month, i tend to try and learn about something to know about what will be new for them. but with it being pushed back now, i won't have to stress out about it and i can have time to play other games that are currently on my radar.

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I meant Doom 64 getting delayed from its original November 22 date.
Oh yeah that’s pretty dumb. It would have been better to release it still in November to keep Doom fans satisfied till Eternal came out.

Darkmoone1

Smash Apprentice
What matters isn't the fact that it got delayed, but rather that it was originally planned to release in November in the first place. There is or was a plan in place. Plans change, but we won't know the intentions until the year of Doom truly runs it course.

doomguywhen1993

Smash Apprentice
The delay kinda sucks but hey, as long as the game is great in the end, it's probably for the better even with the Year of Doom thing but marketing is marketing.
Something i noticed in that article about demand/expectation is how it uses that image of Mick Gordon's face photoshopped inside the helmet.
Also, was thinking about Japanese support for Doomguy and i remembered Tango Gameworks, if that interests some people here.
Kinda wish Doom 64 wasn't delayed too, but hey, fans have already made multiple attempts at porting these to pc and most of them worked.
So maybe give EX or Retribution a chance and wait to see if the official ports have something interesting besides just being official and on the go.

Also, i was going to bring up some stuff on how to get into Doom but i shouldn't repeat stuff i already said previous posts ago.
So i mentioned that here https://smashboards.com/threads/at-...om-slayer-thread.446546/page-51#post-23569150

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
100% saw that delay coming, which sucks. But at the end of the day I'd rather have the better product, so it is what it is. :/

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Glad for those who are more convenienced by the delay as far as timing I guess, but definitely would've preferred something new I was that excited for then and there in November, and with how much more other titles are coming next year anyway, let alone in March, oh boy.

And yeah, the delay means nothing far as a potential Doomguy reveal in Smash if he's to be included at some point at all. Nothing new there.

Klimax

Smash Ace
Can't wait to play that game and shoot some undead in the head... oh wait, they're actually "mortally challenged", don't say "undead", that could be offensive for that community.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
It probably wont happen, but if the Doom twitter dropped maybe 1 or 2 high quality music tracks from Doom Eternal (maybe the E3 theme without sound effects?) It would make the wait a lot more bearable!

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

This kinda makes it more bearable, knowing some of the devs are better off for the delay. I mean after hearing about the crunching that went on with Mortal Kombat 11's development for its people, wouldn't wish that on anyone.

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace

This kinda makes it more bearable, knowing some of the devs are better off for the delay. I mean after hearing about the crunching that went on with Mortal Kombat 11's development for its people, wouldn't wish that on anyone.
Crunch time is my username, and needs to stop sooner rather than later.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Here’s an interesting find for Doom 2016’s BFG 9000 that could help with playing through the game again that I found:

I’m not sure if you guys know this or not, but the BFG 9000’s damage output is actually based on the frame rate of the game. Using this in tandem with the Weapon Wheel, you can exploit it to kill bosses like the Cyberdemon and the Hell Guards with a single blast of the BFG. With this in mind, imagine if, even by accident, you could quadruple the damage done with the BFG 9000 in Training Mode with speeds set to .25x if Doom Slayer does make it in. Actually, now that I think about it, imagine if that happened while Doom Slayer was under the effects of the Timer item. But then again, projectiles aren’t affected by the Timer, so...

On another note, I just got and started Doom 3.

My first impressions are...”Did iD Software finish playing through Half-Life when making this game?” Because it feels an awful lot like Half-Life. Even the plot lines seem similar.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, between that, controversial employee treatment and the whole Chucklefish debacle, it's been a hard time for US devs, so it's good to see Doom devs being laxer.

Also, I'm kinda glad that November's getting more freed up from big games, seeing as one of the new Kunio games will get out worldwide early next month:
https://gematsu.com/2019/10/stay-cool-kobayashi-san-a-river-city-ransom-story-launches-november-7

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
On another note, I just got and started Doom 3.

My first impressions are...”Did iD Software finish playing through Half-Life when making this game?” Because it feels an awful lot like Half-Life. Even the plot lines seem similar.
If nothing else, I see Doom 3 as Dead Space before there was Dead Space, except being in 1st person instead of 3rd.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I know I shouldn't baselessly speculate, but...
What do we think, guys? IDKFA 2 or a potential Smash remix?
It could also just be for Doom Eternal. He's done work with Id on Quake Champions' soundtrack.

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
It could also just be for Doom Eternal. He's done work with Id on Quake Champions' soundtrack.
Interesting. I wouldn't think it was Doom Eternal since that track Hulshult's showing starkly contrasts with Mick's usual style and Doom 2016 had only one fully remade track (one which cut down drastically the number of verses and the tempo, mind you, so it's not even a 1:1 remake at that)

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Hulshut’s remix if the Tower of Babel theme was really good. I hope if DOOM is in he gets to do a few remixes.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
It's probably not for Smash Bros if he's allowed to upload it.

doomguywhen1993

Smash Apprentice
A Into Sandy's City remix would be cool.
Speaking of Doom 3 and HL, HL in itself has its existence relying on id games for a lot of factors but the funny thing about Doom 3 is Resurrection of Evil having a Gravity Gun copycat weapon.

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
A Into Sandy's City remix would be cool.
Speaking of Doom 3 and HL, HL in itself has its existence relying on id games for a lot of factors but the funny thing about Doom 3 is Resurrection of Evil having a Gravity Gun copycat weapon.
To clarify what was said here:
  • The original Half-Life was made using Valve's GoldSrc engine, which was a proprietary fork of the original Quake engine, id Tech 2.
  • Coming full-circle with the release of Half-Life 2 and its innovative pairing of the Havok physics engine with the Source engine, particularly through the Zero Point Energy Field Manipulator a.k.a Gravity Gun as a puzzle-solving/offensive/defensive tool/weapon, the Doom 3 expansion "Resurrection of Evil" attempted to emulate this aspect in the id Tech 4 Engine via the Ionized Plasma Levitator a.k.a. Grabber.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Ah, so that's where they got the idea for that weapon huh? It was kinda overpowered to a point, but throwing demons' projectiles back at them and stuff was always fun.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
You know, after playing a bit of Doom 3, I'm thinking about whether the demons exclusive to that game could be in Doom Eternal.

Like, for example, the Vagary. That's a demon that I think has the potential to be a better boss for Doom Eternal than she was in Doom 3. Though I'm not sure what people would think if the Cherubs were added. Also, the Maggot has a design that I think is pretty interesting. I feel like there's so much more to pull from Doom 3 for Doom Eternal than they did for Doom 2016 (Like the Hell Knight design, for example).

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
You know, after playing a bit of Doom 3, I'm thinking about whether the demons exclusive to that game could be in Doom Eternal.

Like, for example, the Vagary. That's a demon that I think has the potential to be a better boss for Doom Eternal than she was in Doom 3. Though I'm not sure what people would think if the Cherubs were added. Also, the Maggot has a design that I think is pretty interesting. I feel like there's so much more to pull from Doom 3 for Doom Eternal than they did for Doom 2016 (Like the Hell Knight design, for example).
Don't forget the monsters added in Resurrection of Evil, like the Vulgar, whom were cool in how they were kinda Xenomorph esque, and the Bruiser. An odd design but up there with the Hell Knights and such in terms of intimidation.

Top Bottom