• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

At Smash's Gate - The Doom Marine/Doomguy/Doom Slayer Thread

Holphino

Smash Apprentice
But the Switch port for Doom 2 was released simultaneously alongside the Xbox and PlayStation ports...
You know what's funny? I totally forgot that they were released on other platforms. Their marketing of the Switch ports actually made me forget about the other versions, wow.

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
Even if Doomguy was revealed to be a pretty terrible fighter, at least we'd have these bangers playing in the background:

cj.

Smash Journeyman
I would love to hear this music on Smash, but I doubt it will happen unless they call it "End Game"

Last edited:

Holphino

Smash Apprentice
Even if Doomguy was revealed to be a pretty terrible fighter, at least we'd have these bangers playing in the background:
Even if he's the worst fighter in the game, i'd probably still main him. I mean, I did main Luigi in Smash 64, and he's garbage in that game.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
DLC characters have usually been above average as far as the metagame compared to a lot of base game characters, so no way do I see Doomguy being that bad if at all.

TindalosKeeper

Smash Apprentice
DLC characters have usually been above average as far as the metagame compared to a lot of base game characters, so no way do I see Doomguy being that bad if at all.
That's correct. I do believe in the Smash team to make the Doom Slayer as memorable as they possibly can.
I wouldn't mind if they go a bit off the source code to appease rating boards. But I do believe 100% the Super Shotgun (Or more accurately, the upgraded Eternal one with Meat Hook) will stay. Maybe with rubber bullets.

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
That's correct. I do believe in the Smash team to make the Doom Slayer as memorable as they possibly can.
I wouldn't mind if they go a bit off the source code to appease rating boards. But I do believe 100% the Super Shotgun (Or more accurately, the upgraded Eternal one with Meat Hook) will stay. Maybe with rubber bullets.
No idea how one would be able to visually convey rubber bullets, but it's not like it would matter overall.

Also, BREAKING NEWS GUYS!!! WE (POTENTIALLY) HAVE THE DATE OF WHEN TERRY GETS SHOWN OFF:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
No idea how one would be able to visually convey rubber bullets, but it's not like it would matter overall.

Also, BREAKING NEWS GUYS!!! WE (POTENTIALLY) HAVE THE DATE OF WHEN TERRY GETS SHOWN OFF:
Could be before or after the amiibo as :ulthero: came after and :ultbanjokazooie: came before.

But this does give an estimate.

GolisoPower

Smash Master

This got me thinking:

The release gap between Piranha Plant and the K. Rool and Ice Climbers amiibo was a 15 day gap. Joker and the Ken and Young Link amiibo was 6 days. Hero and the Pichu and Isabelle amiibo was 4 days. And lastly, Banjo & Kazooie and the Squirtle, Ivysaur and Snake amiibo was 16 days. Crunching the numbers together, release gap is about 10 days average, whether it's before or after amiibo. That means between November 5th, over a good two months after Banjo, and November 25th, just in time for Thanksgiving.

And since we're going by Wednesdays, which DLC characters besides Hero usually release on, that's potentially either 2 days before the release (November 13th) or 5 days afterwards (November 20th) if we're choosing to get as close to the amiibo as possible. But then again, there is Banjo, boasting the largest release-to-amiibo gap, so that's throwing it for a loop. Not to mention, the range I listed earlier factors in every possible Wednesday for November of this year, so while that's still a little difficult to pin down, this amiibo release date announcement does narrow it down.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Awesome yeah I kinda did expect early mid November, I'm honestly stolked for Terry Fatal Fury and King of Fighters looks great and it's awesome too see him in.

But can't wait too see him shown off by one of the best game directors ever Masahiro Sakurai. I know he'll do his representation justice.

Also hey Doom Slayer seems like a cool character and would be a great addition if he's in congrats.

Last edited by a moderator:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Since the period between character release and amiibo release has been up to about two weeks before or after, and since these amiibo release on the 15th, that narrows things down to the release being... sometime in November! :awesome::p

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I don't see how the Amiibo date tells us anything. We already know it's on November but the character DLC and Amiibo release dates differ greatly. For all we know Terry could be releasing either on the 1st half of November or the 2nd half of November

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
Since the period between character release and amiibo release has been up to about two weeks before or after, and since these amiibo release on the 15th, that narrows things down to the release being... sometime in November! :awesome::p
I don't see how the Amiibo date tells us anything. We already know it's on November but the character DLC and Amiibo release dates differ greatly. For all we know Terry could be releasing either on the 1st half of November or the 2nd half of November
Apologies. Guess I shouldn't have posted it then.

Last edited:

TindalosKeeper

Smash Apprentice
Apologies. Guess I shouldn't have posted it then.
Heh, it's alright! It's been slow days these days. Breaks the ice a bit.

We are one month left for the next Direct, possibly. November 1 was the Direct from 2018, so it should be at around that time we are getting it, in accordance to Terry possible release and gameplay.

You know what I believe? This is going to be the events that will unfold:

1- Assuming there's characters in development, they may have at least 2 characters ready that might show up in that Direct.

2- The Direct might start with the final 5th fighter... It could be another Eastern Rep, possibly... So we might end up frustrated and sad...

3-If nothing happens, the Direct would go as usual, until the end, which might be the time of reveal.

4- Terry Gameplay by Sakurai might be shown. At the end of the gameplay, we may hear a Chainsaw revving up... A door opening or an idle demon sound (Like a crackling of bones in Doom 1). This could be the Western rep to make the West happy after an unknown Eastern fighter. Also, the first character of the Fighter Pass 2/Separate DLC character that might be "demons"trated (No pun intended).

5- Watch out for either Bayonetta, Kirby or Pit/Dark Pit and Palutena, as they are connected to either Demons and Heaven... Also watch out for another one of those timelines (Like Terry's), if it shows a PC... We are on the money, folks!

6- I will literally **** bricks if the entire reveal is made in Anime, if it involves Palutena, since Doom Slayer inspired Goblin Slayer. I would literally never see it coming.

Here you go! Some food for thought! ;)

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

Yeah, hard pass on this one. It made the BFG in the 2005 film look epic by comparison, and all this pretty much had were Imps and zombies, while the 2005 film had Hell Knights and more other demons. Sure, the Hell bits and Betruger were nice (even if he looked nothing like in Doom 3), but it seems there was more parts in the first film to enjoy, star power with Dwayne Johnson and such aside, but even that only gets like a 6/10 from me.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
You were right to post it, it could actually help us narrow down the date. I could see the presentation happening a few days before, like on the 13th. :)
It doesn't really help us narrow it down because Banjo & Kazooie came out 16 days earlier than the September Amiibos and we already know that Terry is coming in November

Holphino

Smash Apprentice
It doesn't really help us narrow it down because Banjo & Kazooie came out 16 days earlier than the September Amiibos and we already know that Terry is coming in November
Sure, I get that, but it COULD help. I'm not necessarily saying that it will definitely help us narrow it down. It's just a fun thought, that maybe they'll release Terry close to the Amiibo that's coming out.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Sure, I get that, but it COULD help. I'm not necessarily saying that it will definitely help us narrow it down. It's just a fun thought, that maybe they'll release Terry close to the Amiibo that's coming out.
We have something much more reliable from Papagenos' latest video.

Evidence to Terry's release date..png

With this we can deduce that Terry may be an early in the month release much like Banjo & Kazooie.

Holphino

Smash Apprentice

View attachment 240758

With this we can deduce that Terry may be an early in the month release much like Banjo & Kazooie.
That definitely is some pretty great info, but I still think knowing the Amiibo release date could potentially be helpful. Well at the very least, this plus the Amiibo info pretty much confirms Terry's not releasing in late November.

GolisoPower

Smash Master

View attachment 240758

Oh yeah, I saw that!

The way Sakurai was talking about Banjo made it sound like they were working ahead of schedule, so I wouldn’t be surprised if he was released either a day after Halloween. Or maybe even a day before.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
That definitely is some pretty great info, but I still think knowing the Amiibo release date could potentially be helpful. Well at the very least, this plus the Amiibo info pretty much confirms Terry's not releasing in late November.
What about Joker and the Young Link, Daisy and Ken amiibos? Joker was released on April 17th compared to the Amiibos release on the 12th. If we only had the Amiibo theory to go by, Terry could still release weeks after the Amiibos release. With Banjo & Kazooie's release on September 4th while the Amiibos released on the 20th, No offence to PublicServant PublicServant for bringing it up but Banjo & Kazooie killed Amiibo theory.

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
What about Joker and the Young Link, Daisy and Ken amiibos? Joker was released on April 17th compared to the Amiibos release on the 12th. If we only had the Amiibo theory to go by, Terry could still release weeks after the Amiibos release. With Banjo & Kazooie's release on September 4th while the Amiibos released on the 20th, No offence to PublicServant PublicServant for bringing it up but Banjo & Kazooie killed Amiibo theory.
I never even knew it was a theory in the first instance...

I always find it interesting how a lot of these online theories (especially Smash theories) hinge on a specific sequence of patterns, events and/or outcomes occurring in an exact fashion, with absolutely no room for leeway or outliers. It more or less invokes a greater chance for such theories to be completely debunked by a single discrepancy.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Why not have different ones depending on your chosen alt.?

Joker already has something similar with regards to the Mementos stage.
That would be a great idea but I think Sakurai would take the 1st one just for nostalgic purposes.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Doubful; Sakurai is quite the generous man when it comes to references and representation.
And I doubt id would have many qualms with giving him as much music as possible.

Ahaha!
https://nintendosoup.com/doom-geno-...-bros-ultimate/amp/?__twitter_impression=true
It's good to see that result (the initial results were slightly flawed because it was a write-in ballot, so to use Doomguy as an example, people voted for him as Doomguy, Doom Slayer, The Doom Slayer, Doom, etc. and each name was counted as its own entry when they were all for the same character), but one thing to remember is that it's a pretty small sample size.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Questionable vetting on the part of nintendosoup considering that list (as they later amend their article to point out) is for expectation, not demand. They even get the most demanded characters wrong in their correction, lol.

Fwiw Doom Slayer is seventh when it came to the popular vote.

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
Questionable vetting on the part of nintendosoup considering that list (as they later amend their article to point out) is for expectation, not demand. They even get the most demanded characters wrong in their correction, lol.

Fwiw Doom Slayer is seventh when it came to the popular vote.
Heathens

Who were the top 3?

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
Well if you thought they were heathens before...

NGL Isaac from TBOI would make for an interesting character.
Also, props to Heavy Weapons Guy for making it as high as he did.

I've said this before and I'll say it again: given how it goes against the fundamental idea of Spirits (allowing otherwise unviable or unrealised characters to become fighters in spirit), I stand against the notion that "Is a Spirit != disqualified from becoming a fighter" unless I am proven otherwise.

Last edited:
Top Bottom