• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

At Smash's Gate - The Doom Marine/Doomguy/Doom Slayer Thread

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
If not main skin, while the green armor Master Chief 2.0 that some see modern Doomslayer as can be the alternate costume.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
If not main skin, while the green armor Master Chief 2.0 that some see modern Doomslayer as can be the alternate costume.
Do people dislike the modern Doomslayer design? I actually really like it. It gives off a different feel than the classic design. Feels like it fits the more brutal character. I like both designs, but I'd assume the modern one would be his default.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Do people dislike the modern Doomslayer design? I actually really like it. It gives off a different feel than the classic design. Feels like it fits the more brutal character. I like both designs, but I'd assume the modern one would be his default.
It's not so much that people dislike the modern design (I like it), but before there was often the argument that between Master Chief and Doomguy being included in Smash, it would have to be either one or the other, because two FPS guys fully decked out in green armor would be too much overlap. The classic Doomguy appearance is more iconic too, let's face it. It'd make more sense to use as the default skin IMO, while the '16 reboot/Eternal Doomslayer would be the alternate skin.

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
So in recent news, classic Doomguy skins are confirmed for Doom Eternal

This probably shows how the classic design for Doomguy in smash could work if the Doom Eternal design and moveset takes priority first.
Here's hoping that they can also reintroduce the 2016 and 64 armours as options for players; the more customization representation, the better!

It's not so much that people dislike the modern design (I like it), but before there was often the argument that between Master Chief and Doomguy being included in Smash, it would have to be either one or the other, because two FPS guys fully decked out in green armor would be too much overlap. The classic Doomguy appearance is more iconic too, let's face it. It'd make more sense to use as the default skin IMO, while the '16 reboot/Eternal Doomslayer would be the alternate skin.
True. However, the designs for other Smash characters are typically chosen to reflect their latest incarnations in most cases. It's the reason why Bayonetta primarily uses her design from 2 over her 1 incarnation, or why Link's primary appearance was changed to match that of BOTW (despite the Hero's garb being arguably more iconic)

Last edited:

TerminatorLOL

Smash Journeyman
The classic Doomguy appearance is more iconic too, let's face it. It'd make more sense to use as the default skin IMO, while the '16 reboot/Eternal Doomslayer would be the alternate skin.
I disagree, It makes more sense to use the Eternal design.

The modern look is more recognizable to a larger amount of people (new and old fans), and it really doesn't make sense to go take to a much older look when the new game is releasing so soon. Also the Eternal look is already a combination of his classic and 2016 designs.

Making the Eternal design his the default also makes more sense if they end up using the new arm blade and shoulder canon for his move set.

doomguywhen1993

Smash Apprentice
Those classic Doom skins in Eternal also resemble the player colors from old Doom multiplayer (Gray which was originally Indigo, Gold and Red) so that's a nice touch.
I know the Eternal design is already a combo of old and new but you could technically go foward with that by painting the helmet gray or exposing the abs for example.
If a lot of people already feel confused by Terry or Banjo, it shouldn't matter that much if Doomguy is based off the original design or even combines different looks.

I still don't feel like recommending the Switch ports when Doom fans were keeping their games alive with many source ports on their own and didn't have the same issues as Bethesda.
Like, really, you have the classic collection on Steam/GOG, stuff like ChocoDoom for vanilla purity, PrBoom plus or Crispy for few additions, GZDoom and related for modding and advenced etc...
I can see the Switch port of 64 being good since it's from the same guy that worked on D64 EX, the best fanport of Doom 64.

Demons in Doom could be like stage hazards being summoned by 2016's Summoners or even the Icon of Sin itself.
They could also work for assist trophies.
I thought the level maps in Doom 1 intermission screens could have worked for a stage while blending with stuff from 2016 like the argent tower or the titan's skull, mixed with a variety of classic Doom textures and a few props from other games.

That weird room in the Mars demo (Replaying to that French stream post) was explained in Quakecon to be similar to rune trials but it requires a key and they're pretty much specific fights that are harder but give some upgrade related rewards.

I've seen someone bring up Quake Champions: Doom Edition, so i'd like to remind that Samsara also exists and while having a smaller roster (And being dead and older, sadly), it does a more interesting job at representing the characters in my opinion.
It's like a difference between Smash and MUGEN.

The idea of 2016/Eternal existing just to increase Doomguy's power level is not that far-fetched but it also offers some new gameplay mechanics and ideas like alt fire mods and platforming, while we got bosses in Doom that have multiple abilities.
The new games sort of focus on the idea that old FPS games were "videogamey" since they share some elements with other genres and are a contrast to modern military/"realistic" FPS's, specially when a game like Rise Of The Triad is probably the most arcade retro FPS.

Last edited:

TerminatorLOL

Smash Journeyman
Those classic Doom skins in Eternal also resemble the player colors from old Doom multiplayer (Gray which was originally Indigo, Gold and Red) so that's a nice touch.
I know the Eternal design is already a combo of old and new but you could technically go foward with that by painting the helmet gray or exposing the abs for example.
If a lot of people already feel confused by Terry or Banjo, it shouldn't matter that much if Doomguy is based off the original design or even combines different looks.
What are people feeling confused about with Terry or Banjo?

doomguywhen1993

Smash Apprentice
I meant that they don't know who they are because they're either younger or don't really explore video games as a medium.
With Smash being a video game history series, one could have at least heard of Banjo or SNK characters from somewhere or at least learn about them instead of thinking they're "literally who's".
SNK even did a lot of crossovers.

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
I personally feel Eternal Slayer and saaay, MK V/VI Mjolnir Chief are already pretty distinct, and their move sets would set them apart even further (One potentially has a Chainsaw, Armblade, Super Shotty with grapple, BFG etc. Other would probably have a Needler, Plasma Grenades, Energy Sword, Spartan Laser, etc.)

Not that I think both will get in anytime soon, but Halo and Doom have done plenty to set themselves and their green armored gun using badasses apart, enough so that Smash would have room for both, potentially.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Not that one particularly, no, but nice.

Wasn't expecting my last post to get that much replies, but fair enough. I guess now that I think about it more, seeing the Praetor Suit in different basic colors like red, blue, etc as the main skin would be more interesting than classic Doomguy in that regard, which would just be different color shirts. On that note, would've been nice if you could customize the Praetor Suit in Doom '16 once you unlocked it in the multiplayer (far as colors, etc) like you could with everything else.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I personally feel Eternal Slayer and saaay, MK V/VI Mjolnir Chief are already pretty distinct, and their move sets would set them apart even further (One potentially has a Chainsaw, Armblade, Super Shotty with grapple, BFG etc. Other would probably have a Needler, Plasma Grenades, Energy Sword, Spartan Laser, etc.)

Not that I think both will get in anytime soon, but Halo and Doom have done plenty to set themselves and their green armored gun using badasses apart, enough so that Smash would have room for both, potentially.
Agreed. On top of that, I think they’d both play differently as their games do. Slayer would be a Rushdown character, while Chief would be a zoner.

I’m a Fire Emblem fan, but if we can have several dark-blue haired, sword wielding lords then we can have two green armored, gun wielding space marines.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I think I made a decent Spirit Board for Doom Slayer.
Imp
1569769609714.png

• Novice Support
  • Main Opponent: Orange Ryu x5
  • Stage: Shadow Moses Island
  • Rules:
    • The enemy prefers to use Neutral B (Shakunetsu Hadouken)
    • Defeat all opponents to win.
  • Spirit Effect: Projectile Damage Up

Pinky Demon
1569769653447.png

• Advanced Support
  • Main Opponent: Red Bowser
  • Stage: Frigate Orpheon
  • Rules:
    • The enemy deals damage by running into you.
    • The enemy has super armor.
    • Defeat the main opponent to win.
  • Spirit Effect: Impact Run

Cacodemon
1569769709946.png

• Advanced Support
  • Opponent: Giant Red Kirby
  • Rules:
    • The enemy likes to be airborne
    • The enemy prefers Neutral B
    • Defeat the main fighter to win.
  • Spirit Effect: Aerial Attack Up

Lost Soul
1569769759613.png

• Advanced Attack Primary
  • Opponents: Three Small Gray Kirbies
  • Rules:
    • The enemy likes to be in the air.
    • The enemy prefers dash attack.
    • Defeat all fighters to win.
  • Spirit Effect: Enhanceable at Level 99

Pain Elemental
1569769783487.png

• Ace Attack Primary
  • Spirit Effect: Assist Trophy Equipped (Didn't know which Spirit Effect fits better for Pain Elemental)

Mancubus
1569769836654.png

• Advanced Defense Primary
  • Opponent: Yellow King K. Rool
  • Stage: Castle Siege (Lava)
  • Rules:
    • The enemy prefers Neutral B.
    • The enemy has increased defense.
  • Spirit Effect: Shoot Attack Up

Revenant
1569769914605.png

• Ace Support
  • Opponent: Dark Samus (Red Visor)
  • Stage: Norfair
  • Rules:
    • The enemy has increased jump height.
    • The enemy prefers Side-B.
  • Spirit Effect: Explosive Attack Up

Archvile
1569769963461.png

• Ace Attack Primary
  • Main Opponent: Yellow Incineroar
  • Minion Opponents: Green Snake (Armed with Ray Gun), Black Snake (Armed with Banana Gun (Closest thing to shotgun), Red Snake (Armed with Super Scope)), all small.
  • Stage: Dracula’s Castle
  • Rules:
    • Enemies revive at random.
    • Enemy’s fire attacks are increased.
    • Defeat main fighter to win.
  • Spirit Effect: Fire Attack Up

Arachnotron
1569770012301.png

• Ace Defense Primary
  • Main Opponents: Metal Ivysaur x2
  • Rules:
    • The enemy is armed with a Super Scope.

Spider Mastermind
1569770093911.png

• Legend Defense Primary
  • Spirit Effect: Super Armor

Cyberdemon:
1569770145035.png

• Legend Attack Primary
  • Main Opponent: Giant Metal Ganondorf
  • Stage: Tower of Babel (If that's the Doom stage)
  • Rules:
    • The enemy is armed with a Steel Diver
  • Spirit Effect: Missile Rain: All shooting items you have equipped have infinite ammo.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Agreed. On top of that, I think they’d both play differently as their games do. Slayer would be a Rushdown character, while Chief would be a zoner.

I’m a Fire Emblem fan, but if we can have several dark-blue haired, sword wielding lords then we can have two green armored, gun wielding space marines.
And both have different personalities, too. Slayer's RIP AND TEAR, while Chief is a bit more laid back and professional.

TindalosKeeper

Smash Apprentice
Imp
View attachment 240030
  • Novice Support
  • Rules:

Pinky Demon
View attachment 240031
  • Advanced Support
  • Rules:

Cacodemon
View attachment 240032
  • Advanced Support
  • Rules:

Lost Soul
View attachment 240033
  • Rules:

Pain Elemental
View attachment 240034
  • Ace Attack Primary
  • Spirit Effect: Assist Trophy Equipped (Didn't know which Spirit Effect fits better for Pain Elemental)

Mancubus
View attachment 240035
  • Rules:

Revenant
View attachment 240036
  • Ace Support
  • Rules:

Archvile
View attachment 240037
  • Ace Attack Primary
  • Minion Opponents: Green Snake (Armed with Ray Gun), Black Snake (Armed with Banana Gun (Closest thing to shotgun), Red Snake (Armed with Super Scope)), all small.
  • Rules:

Arachnotron
View attachment 240038
  • Ace Defense Primary
  • Rules:

Spider Mastermind
View attachment 240039
  • Legend Defense Primary

Cyberdemon:
View attachment 240040
  • Legend Attack Primary
  • Rules:
  • Spirit Effect: Missile Rain: All shooting items you have equipped have infinite ammo.
...And people say Doom has bloodied characters? These ones are pretty tame for the children to look at, lmao.

Good job! I like it, and it really adds up for Doom content for WOL.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Imp
View attachment 240030
  • Novice Support
  • Rules:

Pinky Demon
View attachment 240031
  • Advanced Support
  • Rules:

Cacodemon
View attachment 240032
  • Advanced Support
  • Rules:

Lost Soul
View attachment 240033
  • Rules:

Pain Elemental
View attachment 240034
  • Ace Attack Primary

Mancubus
View attachment 240035
  • Rules:

Revenant
View attachment 240036
  • Ace Support
  • Rules:

Archvile
View attachment 240037
  • Ace Attack Primary
  • Rules:

Arachnotron
View attachment 240038
  • Ace Defense Primary
  • Rules:

Spider Mastermind
View attachment 240039
  • Legend Defense Primary

Cyberdemon:
View attachment 240040
  • Legend Attack Primary
  • Rules:
Olivia Pierce & Dr Hayden from Doom 2016, as well as the Doom 3 Marine could work too. Just to add some non-demons to the Spirit List.

TerminatorLOL

Smash Journeyman
...And people say Doom has bloodied characters? These ones are pretty tame for the children to look at, lmao.

Good job! I like it, and it really adds up for Doom content for WOL.
Well The Revenant is pretty bloody from the lower chest to the pelvis, and you can see its entrails. And the Mancubus has blood pouring out its mouth.

I'm not sure if the Cyberdemon's belly is made of wires or entrails though.

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
For the Cyberdemon, they're wires.
For the others though, the smash team might have to clean up the sprites so there isn't any blood, but they can just edit them...

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Well The Revenant is pretty bloody from the lower chest to the pelvis, and you can see its entrails. And the Mancubus has blood pouring out its mouth.

I'm not sure if the Cyberdemon's belly is made of wires or entrails though.
The Revenant, I can certainly understand. But for me, the blood coming out of the Mancubus’ mouth looks more magenta to me. I dunno why. It just doesn’t look like realistic blood to me.

TerminatorLOL

Smash Journeyman
The Revenant, I can certainly understand. But for me, the blood coming out of the Mancubus’ mouth looks more magenta to me. I dunno why. It just doesn’t look like realistic blood to me.
The lower lip is kinda pink but the blood poring down is dark red

Looma

Smash Journeyman
I'm gonna be real with you guys, I always thought that the Revenant was wearing red pants and I just never questioned it until now.

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
I think they would also use his classic design. BTW I think I might have said something like this before. I don’t remember. But anyway, if they were to remix music from the DOOM series for a DOOM stage for Smash, which songs would you want them to remix? I’d like to hear Smash remixes of At Doom’s Gate, Suspense, Into Sandy’s City, DOOM 64 Theme, and others. They should let Mick Gordon do a DOOM remix for Smash. Also, they should add originals, especially from DOOM (2016).

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I think they would also use his classic design. BTW I think I might have said something like this before. I don’t remember. But anyway, if they were to remix music from the DOOM series for a DOOM stage for Smash, which songs would you want them to remix? I’d like to hear Smash remixes of At Doom’s Gate, Suspense, Into Sandy’s City, DOOM 64 Theme, and others. They should let Mick Gordon do a DOOM remix for Smash. Also, they should add originals, especially from DOOM (2016).
I would imagine that in terms of Doom music, he would have the following:

At Doom's Gate as a new remix by Mick Gordon himself.
A remix of Nobody Told Me About Id
A remix of Intermission from Doom that also serves as a Cloud/Joker-style victory theme
Kitchen Ace (And Taking Names)
Running from Evil
Into Sandy's City
Message for the Archvile
BFG Division (That should go without saying)
Rip & Tear
Welcome To Hell
A remix of Heaven's Wrath (Doom Eternal's music from the E3 trailer)
Another track from Doom Eternal

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Olivia Pierce & Dr Hayden from Doom 2016, as well as the Doom 3 Marine could work too. Just to add some non-demons to the Spirit List.
In that case, Malcolm Betruger (main villain of the Doom 3 series) is a must.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I'm gonna be real with you guys, I always thought that the Revenant was wearing red pants and I just never questioned it until now.
That was what I was thinking when I looked at it. I wonder if they could get away with leaving the sprite uncensored.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
At Doom’s Gate (Doom 1)
Intermission (Doom 1)
I Sawed The Demons (Doom 1)
Donna To The Rescue (Doom 1)
Running From Evil (Doom 2)
Into Sandy’s City (Doom 2)
Bye Bye American Pie (Doom 2)
Rip & Tear (Doom ‘16)
BFG Division (Doom ‘16)
Flesh & Metal (Doom ‘16)
Damnation (Doom ‘16)

I haven’t played Doom 3 or 64 yet, so I’m not as familiar with their soundtracks.

But I have a feeling that Doom’s representation in Smash would rely heavily on the classic & modern games anyway. Maybe a spirit or two like I suggested earlier.

Holphino

Smash Apprentice
At Doom’s Gate (Doom 1)
Intermission (Doom 1)
I Sawed The Demons (Doom 1)
Donna To The Rescue (Doom 1)
Running From Evil (Doom 2)
Into Sandy’s City (Doom 2)
Bye Bye American Pie (Doom 2)
Rip & Tear (Doom ‘16)
BFG Division (Doom ‘16)
Flesh & Metal (Doom ‘16)
Damnation (Doom ‘16)

I haven’t played Doom 3 or 64 yet, so I’m not as familiar with their soundtracks.

But I have a feeling that Doom’s representation in Smash would rely heavily on the classic & modern games anyway. Maybe a spirit or two like I suggested earlier.
Doom 3 and Doom 64 are pretty much in the same boat. When compared to Doom 1 and 2 they really don't have alot of music(When you do hear a song in Doom 64 though, it's usually pretty great). So there's not much to include with those games anyway. I could see them include the main theme of Doom 3 however, considering that's really that game's only good song imo.

Last edited:

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
Imp
View attachment 240030
  • Novice Support
  • Rules:

Pinky Demon
View attachment 240031
  • Advanced Support
  • Rules:

Cacodemon
View attachment 240032
  • Advanced Support
  • Rules:

Lost Soul
View attachment 240033
  • Rules:

Pain Elemental
View attachment 240034
  • Ace Attack Primary

Mancubus
View attachment 240035
  • Rules:

Revenant
View attachment 240036
  • Ace Support
  • Rules:

Archvile
View attachment 240037
  • Ace Attack Primary
  • Rules:

Arachnotron
View attachment 240038
  • Ace Defense Primary
  • Rules:

Spider Mastermind
View attachment 240039
  • Legend Defense Primary

Cyberdemon:
View attachment 240040
  • Legend Attack Primary
  • Rules:
Personally, you could probably do with having the Imp spirit battle just be Marios throwing regular fireballs (last I checked, Imp fireballs weren't multi-hit) .

I'll add a few more of my own (plus one redone version of yours):

Pinky Demon
View attachment 240031
  • Advanced Support
  • Main Opponent: Six Pink Warios
  • Rules:
    • Enemies deal damage by running into you.
    • Enemies have super armour.
    • Half of the enemies prefer Neutral-Special.
    • The other half prefer Side-Special.
    • Two of the enemies are invisible.
Hell Knight

• Novice Attack Primary
  • Main Opponents: Giant Luigi 2x
  • Stage: Dracula's Castle
  • Rules:
    • The enemy prefers Side-Special.
Baron of Hell

• Spirit Effect: Increased fire damage.
Maledict
3MHiUJASBjprSe3Q1x8nmeeN5.png

• Legend Attack Primary
  • Main Opponent: Giant Ridley
  • Rules:
    • The enemy prefers Side-Special and Neutral Special.
  • Spirit Effect - The Artifact: Start with Timer. Additional timers will appear for each KO scored.
I would imagine that in terms of Doom music, he would have the following:

At Doom's Gate as a new remix by Mick Gordon himself.
A remix of Nobody Told Me About Id
A remix of Intermission from Doom that also serves as a Cloud/Joker-style victory theme
Kitchen Ace (And Taking Names)
Running from Evil
Into Sandy's City
Message for the Archvile
BFG Division (That should go without saying)
Rip & Tear
Welcome To Hell
A remix of Heaven's Wrath (Doom Eternal's music from the E3 trailer)
Another track from Doom Eternal
In all honesty, Doom has so many awesome tracks that, IMO, it'd be a massive disservice to limit the number to 10 - 12.

I don't even care if the majority of them consist of slightly-edited riffs from popular '90s metal/rock tracks; if Castlevania can garner 30+ tracks, Doom deserves a similar (if not greater) volume of justice with its own Music Library:

TindalosKeeper

Smash Apprentice
Hmmm... Let's suppose, with everything lined up for our Hell Walker (November game release + Terry gameplay release (But first, the 5th character), then Sakurai's John Carmack mention, just like other fighter's anecdotes), he is a legit contender with even greater historical value to back him up (FPS father, or Popularizer, if you wanna be more exact)...

But who else is also likely to take the spot? It must be a character with even heavier weight that our lining up means ******** near this character.

I'm kind of afraid about Sakurai's word on that they (Nintendo and him) already chose the DLC.

Then he says he wants to add even more worlds to the game... It could mean the separate DLC weren't chosen already, or they just kept their word still, so all 11 spots are already taken.

So who might steal Doom Slayer's November/December moment, in your opinion?

This year's November/December are the highest peak of chances for Doom Slayer's inclusion, because of Doom Guy's "specialer" anniversary (25 years, not "regular" anniversaries like 22, 23 or 24... 25!), again, in my opinion...

If Doom Slayer is not included, the chances go back to regular again.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So who might steal Doom Slayer's November/December moment, in your opinion?
-Capcom rep (Amaterasu, Dante, Phoenix Wright, Resident Evil rep)
-Crash Bandicoot
-Dovahkiin
-Namco rep (Agumon, Dark Souls rep, KOS-MOS, Lloyd Irving); Don't see Heihachi at this point in this pass given Terry
-Ryu Hayabusa

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
-Capcom rep (Amaterasu, Dante, Phoenix Wright, Resident Evil rep)
-Crash Bandicoot
-Dovahkiin
-Namco rep (Agumon, Dark Souls rep, KOS-MOS, Lloyd Irving); Don't see Heihachi at this point in this pass given Terry
-Ryu Hayabusa
Really? Dovahkiin? I have ne're seen a pint of compelling evidence for his inclusion beyond a single Switch port.

Last edited:
Top Bottom