• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

At Smash's Gate - The Doom Marine/Doomguy/Doom Slayer Thread

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I found this on Know your meme! Kind of looks like that other drawing from a while ago.

cc5.jpg

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Guys, I'm in a bit of a pickle: I really wanna play through Doom '16 again, but at the same time I wanna wait until Doom Eternal's release week to play through it. Do I go for it? Do I wait? I have no idea.

Holphino

Smash Apprentice
Guys, I'm in a bit of a pickle: I really wanna play through Doom '16 again, but at the same time I wanna wait until Doom Eternal's release week to play through it. Do I go for it? Do I wait? I have no idea.
Just wait until Doom Eternal is like a week away from release, then play through 16' again. That way it's COMPLETELY fresh in your mind. That's probably what i'm gonna do.

TindalosKeeper

Smash Apprentice
Now that I remember the Fighter Ballot, I've heard Doom Slayer wasn't included in the most voted...

Could it be that he wasn't popular at the time? Or maybe he was actually excluded from the Ballot for some reason?

It would really hurt his chances, if not, kill them if there's some form of official statement where problematic characters (from violence) are deemed impossible to appear...

Then I remember Joker and I'm curious how he got included, since he didn't appeared in the Ballot... It could have been a shill pick, after all.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Now that I remember the Fighter Ballot, I've heard Doom Slayer wasn't included in the most voted...

Could it be that he wasn't popular at the time? Or maybe he was actually excluded from the Ballot for some reason?
Doomguy's support skyrocketed after the announcement of Doom 2016 being ported to the Switch.

Senator Phillips

Smash Cadet
I'd say a lot of it would be figuring that he was a pipe dream at the moment. With everything that's happened with Ultimate characters now, I'd say there's more of a chance, although I'm still trying to keep my hopes low, lest they be crushed like an Imp on the receiving end of the BFG.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I'm trying not to get too excited, but hoo boy.

The only thing against this is that character backgrounds usually use contrasting variants of colors that are actually on the character (unless they're using classic Doomguy's tanned arms? lol)
What part of Terry is Blue?

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman

It would really hurt his chances, if not, kill them if there's some form of official statement where problematic characters (from violence) are deemed impossible to appear...

Then I remember Joker and I'm curious how he got included, since he didn't appeared in the Ballot... It could have been a shill pick, after all.
> joker is a shill pick
> doomguy can be in bc doom games are on switch

pick one

To be serious though, nobody knows what the ballot results are at all. Anything you see is fanmade polls

TindalosKeeper

Smash Apprentice
Now that I think about it...

What would be "the tell" if Doom Slayer happens to be announced in a Smash trailer?

By "the tell", I mean like the Jigsaw scrolling the screen for Banjo Kazooie.

What sound/action would be recognizable enough to make you think "Holy ****, Doomguy?".

GolisoPower

Smash Master

What would be "the tell" if Doom Slayer happens to be announced in a Smash trailer?

What sound/action would be recognizable enough to make you think "Holy ****, Doomguy?".
I know I’ve had many different interpretations of Doom Slayer’s trailer in my head, but one good tell could be seeing him running towards a raging battle from his first-person view. Smashing barriers apart, climbing up walls, jumping across long gaps with his thruster boots, all of that.

Last edited:

OpticalBlast

Smash Journeyman

YsDisciple

Smash Lord

ahem
clears throat
proceeds to recite the DOOM Dogma (2016)

In regards to the picture that's been shared on this thread of DOOM Eternal being advertised during TGS 2019, I think that's one of the final cues to reassuring that Doom Slayer is coming to Ultimate. I'm going 100% in on believing that Doom Slayer is going to be the 5th DLC fighter. I mean, there's been quite the number of things that can't be brushed off as mere coincidences when grouped together.

1. DOOM (2016) ported to the Nintendo Switch (Nov. 10, 2017).
2. DOOM Eternal gameplay reveal, and confirmation on Nintendo Switch release, as well as other platforms (Aug. 10, 2018 - QuakeCon 2018).
3. Metro interview with Pete Hines in which when asked if he had spoken to Nintendo about Smash, he replied "Oh yeah..." (Sep. 13, 2018).
4. DOOM 1, 2, and 3 ported to the Nintendo Switch (eShop; Jul. 26, 2019).
5. During the interview with Marty and Hugo (from id Software) at QuakeCon 2019, when the mention of Smash pops up when asked in what other franchises would they like to see the Doom Slayer featured in (Jul. 29, 2019).
6. DOOM 64 announced for release during the September 4, 2019 Nintendo Direct (with Pete Hines himself doing the announcement).
7. DOOM Eternal, AND DOOM 64 both launch on the Nintendo Switch on November 22, 2019. This date is important because remember that Terry Bogard was announced for a November release, and it is highly likely that DLC Fighter #5 will be revealed after his gameplay presentation. The timing would be perfect to draw in the attention of DOOM/FPS fans who still haven't approached Smash Bros. Ultimate into buying the game and the DLC, while others not too familiar with DOOM might be drawn to give the series a try (buying the games). Win-Win for both Nintendo and Bethesda.
8. The most recent piece now, with DOOM Eternal being advertised in the midst of TGS 2019 (not just with some simple niche announcements, but with a huge ad right next to the TGS 2019 ad).

If things turn out otherwise, I'm willing to take the salt, but for now I'm saying he's in. :shades:

Darkmoone1

Smash Apprentice
I would say that, much like Joker, the trailer would give the impression that it is something Doom 2016/Eternal related (Using the game as a means to tease the announcement). Then have the envelope found the same way you'd find a secret. He picks up the envelope, then turns it to find the smash logo. The Doom 2016 level complete music would play as the camera goes third person and rotates to show the Doom Slayer.

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman

This:

... except it's the DOOM Eternal Super Shotgun's Meathook coming from offscreen. Also, the target would be Ridley and you'd have less blood.

I would imagine it being the ultimate (heh) bait-and-switch in that many would assume it's Scorpion, only for the Doom Slayer to rip and tear their expectations to shreds.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord

I don't think the ballot matters anymore to judge likelihood for the Ultimate DLC. Sakurai called Sans "highly requested" when talking about his mii costume even though Undertale came out after the ballot was over.

TindalosKeeper

Smash Apprentice
Interesting choices! I kind of wanted his Smash trailer to be like the one from Phobos, but with Smash characters, just to show his baddassery, if there's no gameplay yet and he is in in development still.

Last edited:

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
I think his Smash Trailer should be a "sequel" to Ridley's trailer. Just seems like a nice setting for Doom Slayer.
Maybe some demons warp in and help Ridley attack Samus and then Doom Slayer shows up and beats the **** out of Ridley.

Not to mention, Ridley's trailer was definitely the most violent of all of the trailers thus far.

Last edited:

doomguywhen1993

Smash Apprentice
A way they could reveal Doomguy with subtlety is using the liquify effect from the first games.
Or even repeat the intro of 2016 but instead of the mark of the slayer, you get the Smash symbol being formed.
Also, idea for an item: The Blursphere, once you pick it up, you're transparent while opponents start to have "innacurate" attacks for a period of time.

Also, heads up on the recent ports: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgFNAwUjN6U
Doom 2's level order seems to be messed up.

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
Now I've had this insane bit of curiosity knawing away at me; what kind of reception will our good guy, the Doom Slayer, meet on the off-chance he becomes the 5th fighters pass fighter? Specifically, I'm talking about:
  • How will the Smash community react?
  • How will the Doom community react?
  • and how will certain Youtubers react?
That last one is a personal query of mine as, given their prominence within the Smash community, it'd be interesting to see how the likes of Alpharad and Arlo react to it, whether they wholeheartedly support him or bay for the wolves to have him removed.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Now I've had this insane bit of curiosity knawing away at me; what kind of reception will our good guy, the Doom Slayer, meet on the off-chance he becomes the 5th fighters pass fighter? Specifically, I'm talking about:
That last one is a personal query of mine as, given their prominence within the Smash community, it'd be interesting to see how the likes of Alpharad and Arlo react to it, whether they wholeheartedly support him or bay for the wolves to have him removed.
For that first one, I'd say a hint of being absolutely blown away, then coming into bliss at his inclusion.

For that second one, I'm gonna have to split it into two categories: Western and Japanese. The Western Doom community will most likely celebrate like it's 1999. As for the Japanese Doom community, I'll have to check Tatsurd-Cacocaco and Nanka Kurashiki's Twitters (if the former even has a Twitter account), since Tatsurd is one of the main minds behind the Japanese Community Project MegaWAD and Nanka is a very prominent Japanese Doom fan, so she'd most likely be fangirling over his inclusion in Smash.

And for the third one, I'm sure Joel will have a reaction on par with that of the Sans Mii Costume reveal, since he's a big fan of Doom. (And I'd definitely look forward to him fighting in a potential Archvile Spirit Battle, considering his hatred for them.)

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Doomguy gets flack now but I think most of the west would give him a warm welcome. Most of Japan wiuld probably not like him, but im sure theyll give him a chance if he gets in. Maybe theyll have some japanese doom fans spam twitter with their own version of hoes mad like english speaking Hero fans did when he got confirmed, lol.

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
Has the japanese fandom EVER been mad at any Smash bros inclusion thus far?
I don't see why they wouldn't like a western newcomer :-/

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I can imagine the Smash community will be like:
"Great now we got call of duty in Smash now. This game is ruined and I hate my life"
"I never saw this coming"
"Sakurai never listens to us/is out of touch with the community. I'm quitting Smash!"
"A shooter character? Besides Mii gunner I don't think we have shooting character before"
"Everyone was calling Doom Guy because of the 4chan leaks"
"HOES MAD HOES MAD" (A lot of this if people still find that dead meme relevant which with the Smash community, probably still is)

Doom Community will be like:
"I wanted Doom Guy in Mortal Kombat 11"
"Great now we don't have reason to ban Doom Smash posts anymore, worst day of my life"
"Hell yeah I can play as Doom Guy in Smash"

And... YouTubers just do youtuber stuff

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Hoes mad was initially a more obscure meme, but became oversaturated and unfunny once the Smash fanbase got a hold of it when Hero came out. Seen images of it with Tracer (when she was rumored/assumed with the Overwatch Switch leak) and other crap too and it's already gotten old, so for Doomguy I don't think it would be in the best of taste, but I'd be too happy that he got confirmed to care as much. lol Apart from that though, already getting Ridley flashbacks as far as how rough it was before, as it is now for Doomguy, and picturing how welcome he would be after said reveal...

You don't normally see them as much and/or aren't as loud, but salty Japanese fans definitely exist too. Putting them all on a pedestal is silly. They're human also.

TindalosKeeper

Smash Apprentice
I can imagine the Smash community will be like:
"Great now we got call of duty in Smash now. This game is ruined and I hate my life"
"I never saw this coming"
"Sakurai never listens to us/is out of touch with the community. I'm quitting Smash!"
"A shooter character? Besides Mii gunner I don't think we have shooting character before"
"Everyone was calling Doom Guy because of the 4chan leaks"
"HOES MAD HOES MAD" (A lot of this if people still find that dead meme relevant which with the Smash community, probably still is)

Doom Community will be like:
"I wanted Doom Guy in Mortal Kombat 11"
"Great now we don't have reason to ban Doom Smash posts anymore, worst day of my life"
"Hell yeah I can play as Doom Guy in Smash"

And... YouTubers just do youtuber stuff
Looking back at some articles in the past, there was this one I found about Little Mac's inclusion and Japan's reaction...

Heh, it might happen to our Hell Walker... Maybe a bit on the "Who?" side... UNLESS he is actually far more known than Mac... I don't know...

https://legendsoflocalization.com/what-does-japan-think-of-little-mac-in-smash-bros/

Holphino

Smash Apprentice
Looking back at some articles in the past, there was this one I found about Little Mac's inclusion and Japan's reaction...

Heh, it might happen to our Hell Walker... Maybe a bit on the "Who?" side... UNLESS he is actually far more known than Mac... I don't know...

https://legendsoflocalization.com/what-does-japan-think-of-little-mac-in-smash-bros/
Jesus, some of them really went in on Little Mac. If Doomguy is in, it'll be interesting to see how Japan reacts.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Jesus, some of them really went in on Little Mac. If Doomguy is in, it'll be interesting to see how Japan reacts.
As I said before, I think we know only two so far from the Japanese Doom community that'll be very happy: Tatsurd-Cacocaco and Nanka Kurashiki.

Which gets me thinking about the former: do you think someone should make a celebratory Doom WAD for if he gets revealed for Smash Bros?

Last edited:

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
Hoes mad was initially a more obscure meme, but became oversaturated and unfunny once the Smash fanbase got a hold of it when Hero came out. Seen images of it with Tracer (when she was rumored/assumed with the Overwatch Switch leak) and other crap too and it's already gotten old, so for Doomguy I don't think it would be in the best of taste, but I'd be too happy that he got confirmed to care as much. lol Apart from that though, already getting Ridley flashbacks as far as how rough it was before, as it is now for Doomguy, and picturing how welcome he would be after said reveal...

You don't normally see them as much and/or aren't as loud, but salty Japanese fans definitely exist too. Putting them all on a pedestal is silly. They're human also.
In all honesty, I half expect the following to become the new "Hoes Mad" for Doomguy:

As I said before, I think we know only two so far from the Japanese Doom community that'll be very happy: Tatsurd-Cacocaco and Nanka Kurashiki.

Which gets me thinking about the former: do you think someone should make a celebratory Doom WAD for if he gets revealed for Smash Bros?
No doubt about it. I wouldn't be surprised if it were a large-scale modification where you could play as the various characters through any given map WAD, not unlike Quake Champions: Doom Edition.

Last edited:

Holphino

Smash Apprentice

I hope, another Japanese mapping project sounds like a great way to celebrate! It'd be great to see a sequel.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
In addition to some Japanese fans going in on Little Mac there, I remember seeing at least one say that E3 2018 was disappointing in terms of newcomers (Daisy/Ridley) when I was browsing pixiv once, but I was like whatever; they're entitled to their opinion too, but us in the West didn't get Ridley playable by being submissive after being told no, so even if Doomguy's not the 5th fighter pass character (probably isn't), keep voicing for him to the bitter end.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I'm kind of thinking Doom Slayer SHOULD be the first in the second pass. Actually, that's what I WANT to happen. Now, here me out.

I think #5 will be revealed in November around the release of Terry and if that IS the case, I think it'll be Hayabusa and he'll be released in January. NOW this means that #1 of Pass 2 will be shown off at The Game Awards which I think is an EASY place to garner hype for characters. So Doom Slayer at The Game Awards in front of THOUSANDS of people? Sounds like a match made in heaven if you ask me and I think it's definitely going to happen.

Last edited:

TindalosKeeper

Smash Apprentice
I'm kind of thinking Doom Slayer SHOULD be the first in the second pass. Actually, that's what I WANT to happen. Now, here me out.

I think #5 will be revealed in November around the release of Terry and if that IS the case, I think it'll be Hayabusa and he'll be released in January. NOW this means that #1 of Pass 2 will be shown off at The Game Awards which I think is an EASY place to garner hype for characters. So Doom Slayer at The Game Awards in front of THOUSANDS of people? Sounds like a match made in heaven if you ask me and I think it's definitely going to happen.
I'm still curious what makes Ryu Hayabusa a semi-lock at this point.

I would have thought the Doomguy/Ryu Hayabusa leak would make both characters die down a bit in request.

Sure, Koei Tecmo hasn't been represented yet, and it's an Eastern company, but even then, there are other reps out there with the same amount of chances....

I'd give Eastern unrepresented companies a 20% of appearing. While Western ones are lower on the list with 10% (Maybe 15% if Sakurai indeed is going with a Eastern-Western character pattern inclusion)

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace

I know Japan was very positive of Banjo-Kazooie's inclusion.

So really it can go either way. DOOM's been around in Japan since DOOM 64 so with any luck maybe there's more Japanese than we know who like it.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
seems that DOOM is getting a switch kit as well, but will those be enough for the slayer to enter smash?
Not really, no. Characters don't get revealed or released alongside their new games.

I'm still curious what makes Ryu Hayabusa a semi-lock at this point.

I would have thought the Doomguy/Ryu Hayabusa leak would make both characters die down a bit in request.

Sure, Koei Tecmo hasn't been represented yet, and it's an Eastern company, but even then, there are other reps out there with the same amount of chances....

I'd give Eastern unrepresented companies a 20% of appearing. While Western ones are lower on the list with 10% (Maybe 15% if Sakurai indeed is going with a Eastern-Western character pattern inclusion)
Fatmanonice in the Geno thread has admitted that insiders have heard Ryu Hayabusa being thrown about but that could just be related to Orochi Warriors 4 Ultimate.

To me, Doom Guy, Geno and Ryu Hayabusa are the three characters that seem the most likely to be Fighter 5 but then Nintendo could blind sight us again like they did with Terry Bogard.

Top Bottom