• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

At Smash's Gate - The Doom Marine/Doomguy/Doom Slayer Thread

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
In all honesty the CERO Z argument really doesn't hold that much water when Smash Ultimate has spirits from Metal Gear Solid 3 and 4, which are labeled CERO 18+ (probably before the CERO rating change?) and Z respectively.
Heck, even the stage is from MGS4!

TindalosKeeper

Smash Apprentice
In all honesty the CERO Z argument really doesn't hold that much water when Smash Ultimate has spirits from Metal Gear Solid 3 and 4, which are labeled CERO 18+ (probably before the CERO rating change?) and Z respectively.
Eh... Not sure, they haven't updated the CERO rating for old games?

But other than that, Metal Gear is not as violent as Doom. Snake is more onto tactical elimination or enemy evasion, while Doom Slayer has to kill everything on sight.

Hoping still for Doom Slayer's inclusion, but again... That Z rating hurts his chances, no matter how wanted it is either in the West or the East. (There's support in China, not sure Japan)

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Eh... Not sure, they haven't updated the CERO rating for old games?

But other than that, Metal Gear is not as violent as Doom. Snake is more onto tactical elimination or enemy evasion, while Doom Slayer has to kill everything on sight.

Hoping still for Doom Slayer's inclusion, but again... That Z rating hurts his chances, no matter how wanted it is either in the West or the East. (There's support in China, not sure Japan)
If the Cero-Z rating really does effect Doom Guy's chances then he would have said in an interview "No! Doom Guy cannot be in Super Smash Bros Ultimate!" and until he does, it's fair game.

TindalosKeeper

Smash Apprentice
If the Cero-Z rating really does effect Doom Guy's chances then he would have said in an interview "No! Doom Guy cannot be in Super Smash Bros Ultimate!" and until he does, it's fair game.
Ahhhh! Interesting topic you stumbled on!

The interviews... Huh... They indeed said that stuff, but... What constitutes a NDA nowadays?

I don't really know if saying you have had talks with a company is a NEAR breach, or eye-brow riser... Maybe Pete Hines got an earful for that...

Maybe that "Oh yeah" was a bit too much? Anyone at Nintendo would have slammed a desk, wanting an explanation...

But it also could mean there were no plans whatsoever with Nintendo or they refused collab...

I wanna keep hopes, but ignoring these important details is lying to myself. Until they are explained, I will feel at rest.

EDIT: https://twitter.com/PushDustIn/status/1171719707453349888?s=20

It seems a "column" with Sakurai has been leaked. (It's like a blog). It may say who are the DLC fighters planned or loosely say what it might say, who knows?. If someone can see further, it's welcomed. Everything should be fully leaked in 12.5 hours, as stated here.

EDIT 2: https://youtu.be/vA7Xyh5YKwA

Apparently, polls were faked. True or nah, I just don't trust leaks, lol. Maybe from actual official sources, sure! (Like SNK leak from Nintendo). So take what I said on my first Edit with skepticism.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Ahhhh! Interesting topic you stumbled on!

The interviews... Huh... They indeed said that stuff, but... What constitutes a NDA nowadays?

I don't really know if saying you have had talks with a company is a NEAR breach, or eye-brow riser... Maybe Pete Hines got an earful for that...

Maybe that "Oh yeah" was a bit too much? Anyone at Nintendo would have slammed a desk, wanting an explanation...

But it also could mean there were no plans whatsoever with Nintendo or they refused collab...

I wanna keep hopes, but ignoring these important details is lying to myself. Until they are explained, I will feel at rest.
Yeah I was discussing this with someone on the Geno thread where they said that they were under NDA a few times and they told me that Pete Hines would have broken the NDA for saying "Oh yeah" since that would hint that maybe a character is coming instead of outright denying the possibility. Doom Guy is most likely not getting in the Fighters Pass, however with more additional DLC being semi-confirmed to be all Third Party, I think Doom Guy has a clean slate now.

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
I don't think what Pete said would be breaking NDA as it was vague enough that it was a non answer.
Also that interview was relatively early (was September 2018), full contracts and stuff may not have been finalized.

(I actually think the only thing hurting doomguy for #5 in the pass is the fact that Eternal is in development right now and would make collaboration with ID for DLC difficult)

Last edited:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
EDIT 2: https://youtu.be/vA7Xyh5YKwA

Apparently, polls were faked. True or nah, I just don't trust leaks, lol. Maybe from actual official sources, sure! (Like SNK leak from Nintendo). So take what I said on my first Edit with skepticism.
Have we really gotten to the point where we cant go 15 minutes without a fake leak so were leaking fake japanese polls?

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I could buy maybe Lloyd Irving being Japan’s top choice from that previous poll I saw (who I’d be down for as a Tales fan), though took with a grain of salt, but that other one with Saber seemed like a bunch of nonsense. Regardless, tired of always seeing people give fellatio to Japan’s “superior taste” when it comes to these polls. Like sorry for enjoying the wrong things. Guessing it’s mostly weebs and such who are kinda insular about Western series, but still.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I could buy maybe Lloyd Irving being Japan’s top choice from that previous poll I saw (who I’d be down for as a Tales fan), though took with a grain of salt, but that other one with Saber seemed like a bunch of nonsense. Regardless, tired of always seeing people give fellatio to Japan’s “superior taste” when it comes to these polls. Like sorry for enjoying the wrong things. Guessing it’s mostly weebs and such who are kinda insular about Western series, but still.
I know the pain, honestly the fanbase has been developing a lot of people hyper passionate about anineesque kind of series since Smash 4. People can like what they want but the elitism needs to stop. Not everyone cares about anime or animeesque games.

Last edited:

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
doomguyridley.jpg

I found this awesome fanart on a discord server and wanted to share it here! I bet this will happen really soon! :D

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Voted, though Dante has more votes, unsurprisingly.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Maybe, but even then, I prefer Resident Evil far as the more mature Capcom choices go. It’s at least earned it compared to DMC getting just one game on the Switch, with RE’s vast history.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Maybe, but even then, I prefer Resident Evil far as the more mature Capcom choices go. It’s at least earned it compared to DMC getting just one game on the Switch, with RE’s vast history.
Agreed. As far as horror games go, Resident Evil is the biggest. Besides, Smash Bros doesn’t have a playable horror game rep yet. Sure, we have Alex Roivas as a Spirit and a Fatal Frame Assist Trophy, but horror is a big game genre not represented in Smash, and it could benefit from having RE in the game.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I figure Dante would allow them to get more creative from a gameplay standpoint. With a Resident Evil character, you've got knives, rocket launchers, grenades, and maybe realistic guns (depends on how balanced they'd be in terms of gameplay), while with Dante, you've got motorcycle-chainsaw hybrids, a set of three-headed nunchucks that uses various elements and doubles as a staff, a hat that shoots money as a projectile, and that's just from a single game.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I figure Dante would allow them to get more creative from a gameplay standpoint. With a Resident Evil character, you've got knives, rocket launchers, grenades, and maybe realistic guns (depends on how balanced they'd be in terms of gameplay), while with Dante, you've got motorcycle-chainsaw hybrids, a set of three-headed nunchucks that uses various elements and doubles as a staff, a hat that shoots money as a projectile, and that's just from a single game.
The limited options between RE conventional weapons is part of why I’d like to see Wesker the most, with the unique kit he has, but I know they’d go with one of the protagonists first over the villain.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Not like any of the aforementioned non-game characters hold a candle to James Bond here anyway because ya know, Goldeneye; the other most influential shooter apart from Doom and Halo, and was the 3rd highest selling game on the 64 behind only Mario Kart and Super Mario, which created its own legacy in the form of Perfect Dark and such, although didn't care as much for PD.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Not saying he's a lock because I'll admit I can be wrong but I'm throwing in the bone to say Doom Slayer is the 5th and final fighter of this Season Pass.

If I had to guess when he'll be revealed it'll be with Terry's release in November in response to Doom Eternal and then announced to be released at the VGA surprising everyone with being released so early.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
There was a problem fetching the tweet

What dark coincidental magic is this!?
Hey, that’s pretty cool!

If this means Doom Slayer is in Smash Bros, then good for us. Franchise popular in Japan gets more Western exposure due to Smash (Dragon Quest), then franchise popular in the West gets more Japanese exposure due to Smash (Doom). I’d say that’s a good trade.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Surprised, but interesting. Also advertisements for Elder Scrolls Online's newest expansion, how well has ESO done over there? Looks like Bethesda's going for a big push at TGS.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
There was a problem fetching the tweet

What dark coincidental magic is this!?
So glad to see they’re advertising over there. Doom needs all the exposure it can in Japan.
People give the marketing team behind DQ11 a hard time, but man, I believe they really really tried. Of course Smash was a marketing juggernaut for them in the end. But they still managed to get people excited before Smash.

Hopefully Doom can do better. Would be kind of whack if they hired a little anime studio to create a Doom short to hype people up. (Kind of like how Halo did a DBZ-like parody anime, and I think even got Bird Studio to animate).

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So glad to see they’re advertising over there. Doom needs all the exposure it can in Japan.
People give the marketing team behind DQ11 a hard time, but man, I believe they really really tried. Of course Smash was a marketing juggernaut for them in the end. But they still managed to get people excited before Smash.

Hopefully Doom can do better. Would be kind of whack if they hired a little anime studio to create a Doom short to hype people up. (Kind of like how Halo did a DBZ-like parody anime, and I think even got Bird Studio to animate).
If Doom got an anime short, then White Fox should be the one to do it. I mean, after all, Doom and Goblin Slayer are very similar. Hell, they even casted Doom Slayer’s mo-cap actor, Brad Hawkins, as the titular Goblin Slayer in the dubbed version! Getting White Fox for a Doom anime short would be going full circle!

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
If Doom got an anime short, then White Fox should be the one to do it. I mean, after all, Doom and Goblin Slayer are very similar. Hell, they even casted Doom Slayer’s mo-cap actor, Brad Hawkins, as the titular Goblin Slayer in the dubbed version! Getting White Fox for a Doom anime short would be going full circle!
I had no idea there was a bond between those two things. I might watch the anime because I also heard it was good. Goblin Slayer always gave me Doomguy vibes for some reason, I can’t believe this was why, lol.

Yeah they’d be really cool then. Hopefully they do it. Can’t think of a better way to get into Japan’s pan-... hearts.

He could be a (mostly) silent protagonist who brutes his way out of every situation, maybe cut down a bit on he blood, but not the violence. I dunno, I have concept clips in my head and it works too well. if only I was at my animation heyday..

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If he is in here, I doubt he'd be the next character. Not just because of possible negotiation timing, but the initial 5Chan fake leak for the pass got a few things right, but the rest mostly wrong (Anlucia isn't an alt, Steve's nowhere to be seen, neither is Ryu for that matter).

DQ11 marketing department towards Hero's release schedule be like.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I'm gonna say it. I think color theory is real. Whether it's intentional or coincidence, I don't know.
But Doom Slayer's background could be orange like hellfire.

Darkmoone1

Smash Apprentice
I'm gonna say it. I think color theory is real. Whether it's intentional or coincidence, I don't know.
But Doom Slayer's background could be orange like hellfire.
This is most likely the case. Dooms has always been centered around a red/orange hue. Even in the original logo as well:

1568441554347.png

Last edited:

OpticalBlast

Smash Journeyman
This is most likely the case. Dooms has always been centered around a red/orange hue. Even in the original logo as well:

View attachment 238194
I'm trying not to get too excited, but hoo boy.

The only thing against this is that character backgrounds usually use contrasting variants of colors that are actually on the character (unless they're using classic Doomguy's tanned arms? lol)

Last edited:
Top Bottom