• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

At Smash's Gate - The Doom Marine/Doomguy/Doom Slayer Thread

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
And like that we may need to hold our horses a little bit:
https://youtu.be/dJ7ulqjS_Vg?t=476

Go to 7:40

The question was about the Slayer in Mortal Kombat. They brought up Smash bros without being asked. Not a good sign.
I'm not one for reaching but the timing of that dude on the right turning his head as the other mentions Smash had a "we're having a talk later" vibe to it. Uh oh.

Last edited:

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Found an old Japanese commercial for DOOM 64.

I've been wondering why DOOM gets the ok in Japan when MK doesn't but I figure 'cause MK is mostly humans while DOOM is full of monsters.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
4chan leaks come and go, but that interview seems far more pertinent, frankly.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
I don't know what qualifies as an NDA break anymore after Kirkhope's obvious teasing. This doesn't really strike me as too damning.

Smashhacker

Smash Rookie
So according to the Hero presentation video released today, it appears Mii Costume Theory is dead since the new Mii costumes are all Dragon Quest related and none of the Square Enix costumes from Smash 4 have returned. This does give hope for Doomguy in this Fighter Pass as the last two fighters wouldn't be restricted to just a Capcom and Namco rep.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
So uh... did anyone else notice the ESRB rating in the Hero presentation?
IMG_20190730_140354.jpg

That T wasn't there before...

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
View attachment 232983
Well, my question is if this is for something coming up or something that previously got put in. Joker could have boosted the rating a bit, but maybe there are post ratings that are still not T.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Well, my question is if this is for something coming up or something that previously got put in. Joker could have boosted the rating a bit, but maybe there are post ratings that are still not T.
But that's weird, though. I didn't see anything in the Persona content that really screamed "T rating". Maybe it's because of Ann being one of the background characters and being a part of the Phantom Thieves spirit? Her outfit is a bit risque.

Last edited:

KillerCage

Smash Master
View attachment 232983
I just checked the Joker trailer and sure enough, there's no "T" rating for him.
Joker Trailer.JPG

This increase in the ESRB's rating shouldn't be caused by either Hero or Banjo and Kazooie.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
But that's weird, though. I didn't see anything in the Persona content that really screamed "T rating". Maybe it's because of Ann being one of the background characters and being a part of the Phantom Thieves spirit? Her outfit is a bit risque.
Yeah, there was nothing really there besides the gun, but even then it's not a real gun(It's a model gun that functions as a working one in Mementos because of cognition). And while Ann maybe might cause a bump, she was actually given the Snake treatment when it come to her model. If they toned her down, I am sure it was to avoid a higher rating.
I just checked the Joker trailer and sure enough, there's no "T" rating for him.
View attachment 232985
Curiouser and curiouser...

Untouch

Smash Master
DQXI is rated T, that's why.
They showed the logo, so they have to put that on there.
DLC isn't rated by the ESRB.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
The problem with the Age rating is the same thing with the Hero Smash trailer. Microsoft wasn't in the copyright section until after Banjo & Kazooie were revealed so even if Doom Guy affected the age rating, it wouldn't be raised until after he was shown.

coolmancool

Smash Cadet
The tag of the guy is Dr. HyperFake. One of my friend on Discord confirmed it was a parody account. Doomguy is safe ahah

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Took me a minute to realize lol. I thought it was the real dude judging by the picture and name but Im not complaining about being wrong here. Back to the regularly scheduled ripping and tearing

volbound1700

Smash Master
So I got the funnest discussion topic. How would they do a Cyberdemon spirit?

Come on, you know the Cyberdemon would have to make an appearance in some manner. The villain is iconic in the doom series.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So I got the funnest discussion topic. How would they do a Cyberdemon spirit?

Come on, you know the Cyberdemon would have to make an appearance in some manner. The villain is iconic in the doom series.
Giant Dark Samus with super armor and increased projectile damage. The fight would take place in Galleom's Lair (Which would be a first for the series) and it would be a stamina match where you have 100 HP and she has 500. The objective? Oh, that's simple: shoot it until it dies.

volbound1700

Smash Master
A Giant Samus might work. It would have to charge the projectiles. I could also see them putting in characters that are programmed to grab bullet bills and attack you.

Or perhaps... he could be a boss! Wishful thinking.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Cyberdemon would also make a good stage hazard always shooting at you in the background on a stage that constantly shifts from the UAC facility to Hell just like he did in his boss fight in the 2016 DOOM.

Last edited:

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
Cyberdemon would also make a good stage hazard always shooting at you in the background on a stage that constantly shifts from the UAC facility to Hell just like he did in his boss fight in the 2016 DOOM.
Giant Dark Samus with super armor and increased projectile damage. The fight would take place in Galleom's Lair (Which would be a first for the series) and it would be a stamina match where you have 100 HP and she has 500. The objective? Oh, that's simple: shoot it until it dies.
I'd just play it for the music:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I figured the cyber demon would be referenced in Classsic mode via Giga Bowser or Beast Ganon as his boss.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
I figured the cyber demon would be referenced in Classsic mode via Giga Bowser or Beast Ganon as his boss.
Definitely Ganon as he's the only demon in the roster unless we wanna use Bayonetta as reference to Arch-Vile with her demon summoning.

Y'know...for all the cool different choices there will be in terms of blades Doomguy will have in Eternal, it kinda wouldn't feel the same if he goes in Smash without a chainsaw. "But won't that be graphic" someone asks? Was it graphic when Corrin joined the fray with a chainsaw for a sword?

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Now that we have a character with an insta-kill move with Hero's Thwack, I now feel as though Doom Slayer's Glory Kills are a likely mechanic to appear (I'm still operating under the assumption that Google Leak is most likely true).
I've seen many ideas for how this would work, but I'm leaning toward Doom Slayer's grab automatically doing a Glory Kill at 100%+ damage. Either that or a command grab, but he has too many weapons to waste a B move on a grab.

Smashhacker

Smash Rookie
I'd imagine the Glory Kill mechanic to be if Doomguy/Slayer manages to stun an opponent at 150%+, then grabbing the stunned opponent would activate a specialized glory kill animation that takes the opponent's stock.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I'd imagine the Glory Kill mechanic to be if Doomguy/Slayer manages to stun an opponent at 150%+, then grabbing the stunned opponent would activate a specialized glory kill animation that takes the opponent's stock.
150 is too high. I imagine Doom Slayer to be a clunky, hard hitting character like Bowser and Ganondorf. Hell, even 100% is pretty high considering the percentages those guys KO at, but 100% is the standard for instant KOs with Great Cave Offensive, Death's Scythe, and Zelda's Final Smash.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Was it graphic when Corrin joined the fray with a chainsaw for a sword?
This is a double standard that has urked me for a while. Both Swords and Guns kill people but Swords are treated as okay because they're not the hot topic like Guns are, despite the fact that both are deadly weapons.

Last edited:

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
150 is too high. I imagine Doom Slayer to be a clunky, hard hitting character like Bowser and Ganondorf. Hell, even 100% is pretty high considering the percentages those guys KO at, but 100% is the standard for instant KOs with Great Cave Offensive, Death's Scythe, and Zelda's Final Smash.
That all depends on the damage output of the Slayer to begin with.

Hard-hitting, most definitely. But clunky? Far from it.

I had a similar Glory Kill concept for my own, though I put my own threshold at 150 damage. While it is rather high, this is more-or-less made up by the fact that the Doom Slayer's attacks either hit really hard or really fast. Mostly both, tbh.

1564651561390.png

Also, would anyone be willing to post suggestions for throws/Glory Kills? I've been thinking of giving him multiple animations for each direction, and it'd be cool to see what people can source/come up with. Perhaps there could be a few fighter-contextual throws, like the Slayer taking Samus'/Mega Man's arm cannon and shooting their heads with it.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Unpopular opinion, but I am not a fan of the glory kills. The new Doom game focused too much on it and eliminated strategy. The original Doom 1 and 2 are still the best in the series and arguably the best FPS ever. The strategy element is mixed in well with sometimes close combat and horror elements. The levels are wide open and easy to explore. Doom 3 did great job with atmosphere but the levels were linear and limited. Similar the new Dooms focus you into encounters were you run around glory killing. Go play a level like Doom 2 Lvl 13 Downtown and you will see why the originals had so much more flavor and variety in the style of play.

Last edited:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
I see no issue with the chainsaw being a weapon esrb-wise. It could work great as a jab, maybe some arials, and the arm blade could be some tilts and maybe grab-related attacks. But the chainsaw has to be somewhere in the moveset.

Smashhacker

Smash Rookie
I'd argue that His side smash should at least be the Super Shotgun due to its sheer close-range power. Then again I'd imagine that Doomguy would have an ammo system mechanic where he has several attacks that utilize his weapons and each use a specific type of ammo, but once that type of ammo runs out, he would have to rely on his fists or chainsaw until he gets enough of that ammo back.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I hope the super shotgun or pistol would be his jab, since you spend most of the game shooting enemies. Sort of like Megaman. But then again his fists are a weapon in OG Doom so IDK.

Last edited:
Top Bottom