• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

At Smash's Gate - The Doom Marine/Doomguy/Doom Slayer Thread

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
FeliciaFan made a pretty cool concept for Doomguy; check it out!
I just watched the video, and it really helped with picturing how Doomguy could work! I'm not sure if I like how much the Super Shotgun was relied on (though the Smash developers and Nintendo seem to be more lenient with realistic looking firearms being used against Nintendo characters, given Joker's special attack "Gun"), but the gimmicks make sense based on Doom 2016.

TheGuv

Smash Apprentice
I do think the goole theory is real tbh.

Ryu Hayabusa (as much i think he's boring) and Doomguy are gaming icons.
Ninja Gaiden and DOOM are in the same level as the 3rd parties we're getting.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I do think the goole theory is real tbh.

Ryu Hayabusa (as much i think he's boring) and Doomguy are gaming icons.
Ninja Gaiden and DOOM are in the same level as the 3rd parties we're getting.
My main problem with the Google theory is that it includes three characters that aren't in Smash Bros. when there are only two slots left. (and seeing as Mii costumes don't get their own page on the Smash Bros. site, that doesn't explain it) IF we get another character outside of Piranha Plant and the Fighter's Pass characters, I have a hard time seeing it being Doomguy, Ryu Hayabusa, or especially Artorias.

Admittedly, I have other problems with the Google theory (such as it requiring incredibly specific conditions that, to my knowledge, were never replicated, and the idea that someone would randomly search for a random, albeit major, Dark Souls boss and Smash Bros. to see what would come up), but it doesn't seem credible to me.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Tabbender did get back to me a few days ago regarding the conflict between Papagenos' theory video and his statement. This is what he said.

I didn't contribute to their shared document at the time, which is my bad (i didn't feel the need to because i didn't take the theory seriously even at the time), so PapaGenos had no way of knowing that i tried this name. He can confirm that i personally PM'd him about google theory and how it was explainable by Google's algorithm linking concepts together though.
So basically it's just the google algorithm being weird and it explains the whole Unraveled 2 ad linking to the Smash Bros website. Still, even if the Google Theory is fake, this doesn't hurt Doom Guy's chances as we do have Pete Hines' statement about things to come for Nintendo fans that seems to be for Doom.

On a personal level, I don't think I've mentioned this but I think Doom Guy has a lot of parallels with other franchises like Mario and Dragon Quest. Mario because he popularised the platformer genre as Doom popularised the FPS genre. Dragon Quest is popular in the East, Doom is popular in the West

TheGuv

Smash Apprentice
My main problem with the Google theory is that it includes three characters that aren't in Smash Bros. when there are only two slots left. (and seeing as Mii costumes don't get their own page on the Smash Bros. site, that doesn't explain it) IF we get another character outside of Piranha Plant and the Fighter's Pass characters, I have a hard time seeing it being Doomguy, Ryu Hayabusa, or especially Artorias.

Admittedly, I have other problems with the Google theory (such as it requiring incredibly specific conditions that, to my knowledge, were never replicated, and the idea that someone would randomly search for a random, albeit major, Dark Souls boss and Smash Bros. to see what would come up), but it doesn't seem credible to me.
You make an excellent point in that the leak is too specific but do we know how many characters they used? for we know maybe they tried over 100 characters.

Someone mentioned and maked a point that "Ryu Hayabusa" might have been an error of the regular "Ryu" we have in smash since they have the same name, so it's possible we're getting Doomguy and Artorias if it's real.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
You know how Pete Hines said that there may be some Nintendo surprises at QuakeCon this year?

I’m kind of imagining what it would be like if Doom Slayer was gonna be announced for Smash Bros at QuakeCon:

It’s QuakeCon 2019, and Marty Stratton is in the middle of talking about Doom Eternal. After talking a little bit about the game itself, he pops off with one little quote: “Let me show you some more gameplay...but it might not be what it seems...”

The trailer starts showing Doom Eternal gameplay. Doom Slayer is wandering around Mars slaughtering demons until he hears something from above. He sees a bright yellow light coming down towards the Slayer before the camera cuts to white.

The camera then shows the same Mars scene from before, or so it seems like it. It looks like Mars. It feels like Mars. But for some reason the Doom Slayer, and the audience, know that this isn’t Mars. Doom Slayer turns around for a bit, then starts walking around cautiously. The way Doom Slayer moves this time seems different: like Doom Eternal suddenly changed gameplay styles. He then hears the sound of something being smashed about, causing Doom Slayer to turn around and fire his rocket launcher in the direction of the sound. The rocket explodes off-screen and almost instantly, Doom Slayer is surrounded with a familiar rainbow aura. Everyone in the crowd recognizes the aura and starts going nuts. Doom Slayer then sees a large purple winged dragon land in front of him and let out a loud roar up in his face. Doom Slayer takes out his Super Shotgun and the moment he fires, something flashes onscreen:

“THE DOOM SLAYER Lets It Rip!”

It then cuts to a gameplay montage of Doom Slayer and his moveset before cutting back to the screen showing:

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate X Doom Eternal

Marty comes back onstage accompanied by Mr. Sakurai himself and discuss the Doom Slayer in Smash Bros, ranging from playstyle to alt costumes to release date. Everyone is still in a state of ecstasy from the announcement of Doom Slayer in Smash, and the crowd lets out a loud cheer as Marty gives one last thank-you to everyone attending QuakeCon.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
You know how Pete Hines said that there may be some Nintendo surprises at QuakeCon this year?

I’m kind of imagining what it would be like if Doom Slayer was gonna be announced for Smash Bros at QuakeCon
I imagine this is a hypothetical because they wouldn't show Doom Guy in Smash at Quake con. Not only are the fans not there for Nintendo content, it's Nintendo's game so if he's going to be shown he would be revealed in a Nintendo direct.

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
I imagine this is a hypothetical because they wouldn't show Doom Guy in Smash at Quake con. Not only are the fans not there for Nintendo content, it's Nintendo's game so if he's going to be shown he would be revealed in a Nintendo direct.
Agreed. If anything, they'd probably show off some Nintendo-exclusive content for their games, like a Varia Suit skin exclusive to Switch copies of Doom Eternal, or Samus being announced as a new champion for Quake Champions.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
If the reveal happened at Quakecon, I like to imagine the devs talking about what will be used in Eternal and as they get to the list of power boost items, the Smash Ball will randomly appear in Doomguy's hand and the screen pauses. "....that's not supposed to be in there."

I wouldn't say that. I mean Joker was announced at the Game Awards and that wasn't a Direct so the possibility is there even if it's a small window.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I wouldn't say that. I mean Joker was announced at the Game Awards and that wasn't a Direct so the possibility is there even if it's a small window.
I was going to correct myself with that but I think the Game Awards is different than showing it off at a publisher dedicated conference as it is universal to every fan instead of a select group. I could be wrong but it if they could have shown Banjo & Kazooie in Smash at Microsoft's conference, they would have done it. Same with Hero at Square Enix's conference.

Samus being announced as a new champion for Quake Champions.
Unless Quake Champions is coming to the Switch, Samus is made an exclusive character for that version and her arm cannon gets replaced with a hand, the probability of this happening is a big fat 0%

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I don’t think he said the surprises would be shown off at Quake con

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
Unless Quake Champions is coming to the Switch, Samus is made an exclusive character for that version and her arm cannon gets replaced with a hand, the probability of this happening is a big fat 0%
Well, if that's the case, there's always Quake Champions: Doom Edition to hopefully see her in.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I don’t think he said the surprises would be shown off at Quake con

He says at 39:04 "It's pretty cool to be in the amidst of shipping a new Doom game, while we're also in 25th anniversary and we've got a lot of stuff planned at Quake con and who knows, maybe more surprises for Nintendo fans!"

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
It's not coming to any console. It's barely successful on PC, and arena shooters are less popular on consoles.
You should be saying this to PublicServant instead of me. We all know Nintendo isn't going to hand over their characters to other consoles.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario

He says at 39:04 "It's pretty cool to be in the amidst to shipping a new Doom game, while we're also in 25th anniversary and we've got a lot of stuff planned at Quake con and who knows, maybe more surprises for Nintendo fans!"
I took at him talking about the future in general. If he meant those surprises would be at Quakecon then there’s no way in hell its Doomguy in Smash. Way too early to reveal a fighter and they wouldn’t do it at place not in e3.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I took at him talking about the future in general. If he meant those surprises would be at Quakecon then there’s no way in hell its Doomguy in Smash. Way too early to reveal a fighter and they wouldn’t do it at place not in e3.
The use of the "and who knows" could imply that the Nintendo content may be shown separate from Quake con.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
The use of the "and who knows" could imply that the Nintendo content may be shown separate from Quake con.
I feel like anything meant to appeal to Nintendo fans would be shown off in a Nintendo direct, so that it has a better chance of reaching those fans.

Untouch

Smash Master
I think if we're getting anything at quakecon, it's a DOOM 64 port to Switch, with some of the eternal designs being based on the DOOM 64 designs and them showcasing it, I have a feeling Bethesda has acquired the rights.

PreludeOf1999

Smash Rookie
Here's how I think they could possibly reveal him:

At Quakecon, they could possibly reveal a Doom Collection on the Switch (All Doom 1 and Doom 2 content, Doom 64, and maybe Doom 3), and say that more info on the collection will be discussed in a Direct later that week, which will contain his character trailer at the end of that Direct. That way Doom Slayer can be revealed to a worldwide audience.

Last edited:

Room100

Smash Apprentice
I feel like anything meant to appeal to Nintendo fans would be shown off in a Nintendo direct, so that it has a better chance of reaching those fans.
I still feel that there could be a mini-Direct not at Quakecon but during it, where they release Hero, maybe talk about Home Run Contest, and drop a cinematic

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
With Cloud representing PlayStation (kind of), Banjo & Kazooie for Xbox, would Doomguy technically count as the PC rep since that's where his games began or is that reaching now that he's third party?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Here's how I think they could possibly reveal him:

They could possibly reveal a Doom Collection on the Switch (All Doom 1 and Doom 2 content, Doom 64, and maybe Doom 3), and say that more info on the collection will be discussed in a Direct later that week, which will contain his character trailer at the end of the Direct. That way Doom Slayer can be revealed to a worldwide audience.
There's no way Nintendo is letting anyone else announce one of their Directs.

With Cloud representing PlayStation (kind of), Banjo & Kazooie for Xbox, would Doomguy technically count as the PC rep since that's where his games began or is that reaching now that he's third party?
He's always been third-party.

He'd represent PC just about as much as Cloud represents Playstation, which is just about as much as Simon represents Nintendo.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
There's no way Nintendo is letting anyone else announce one of their Directs.
Which for all we know, can mean someone from Nintendo could show up at Quakecon then. Wouldn't be the first time they made a guest appearance at these things like Miyamoto at Ubisoft's conference for Mario+Rabbids.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Which for all we know, can mean someone from Nintendo could show up at Quakecon then. Wouldn't be the first time they made a guest appearance at these things like Miyamoto at Ubisoft's conference for Mario+Rabbids.
Mario + Rabbids is a Ubisoft game. They developed it, and published it, and Nintendo lent their characters. By that logic, it would be Bethesda who would defer to Nintendo regarding Smash-related content. And that's exactly how things have gone so far. It's not like Banjo was revealed at Microsoft's conference.

If Quakecon debuts Nintendo content in a Bethesda game, you very well may see Nintendo representatives there. That's possible, I suppose. But if it's the other way around, that event seems an unlikely place for the reveal. Which is why trying to tie the Doom Slayer reveal to Quakecon just seems misguided. I mean the situation posed involves Nintendo not only going against precedent by announcing a Direct at another publisher's event, more days in advance than usual, closer to E3 than usual, and in relation to the existence of a different, completely hypothetical game.

That also ignores that it's pretty unlikely Nintendo is even ready for another general Direct this month, and that we may very well still have two unreleased characters in the docket at that time. Seems a bit premature to reveal a third who likely wouldn't release until winter 2019 anyway.

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, it’s been a while. It’s hard to keep track of the movesets I make, since I usually only make them for characters in bursts every few months, so i apologize if I’ve actually already posted one here.

I say this because I come with the pic bellow!

BB6CEC14-5449-456F-9769-3326BCC5EF31.jpeg

It’s an infographic form of a moveset I made for the Doom Slayer a while ago, with a few tweaks. I’ve been making quite a few of these recently (Chosen Undead, Artorias, Jill Valentine) and I figured why not convert some of my old text-only movesets into ones too! It’ll make them a whole hell of a lot easier to post around lol. I may also make one for the Heavy from TF2 next, or maybe even an entirely nee one with Gordon Freeman.

Either way, enjoy! As usual, feel free to use it in the OP if you’d like!

Senator Phillips

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, it’s been a while. It’s hard to keep track of the movesets I make, since I usually only make them for characters in bursts every few months, so i apologize if I’ve actually already posted one here.

I say this because I come with the pic bellow!

It’s an infographic form of a moveset I made for the Doom Slayer a while ago, with a few tweaks. I’ve been making quite a few of these recently (Chosen Undead, Artorias, Jill Valentine) and I figured why not convert some of my old text-only movesets into ones too! It’ll make them a whole hell of a lot easier to post around lol. I may also make one for the Heavy from TF2 next, or maybe even an entirely nee one with Gordon Freeman.

Either way, enjoy! As usual, feel free to use it in the OP if you’d like!
That looks tremendous, and I'd certainly enjoy it if that's how the Doomguy ends up playing. He's certainly my #1 hoped for addition at this point.

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
That looks tremendous, and I'd certainly enjoy it if that's how the Doomguy ends up playing. He's certainly my #1 hoped for addition at this point.
Thanks! And I can’t say I wouldn’t like that moveset to be real either, lol. That being said, I think I’d love ANY moveset he had so long as he’s in the game!

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
Well, at least we found out the origins of the guy asking for Doom Slayer: Firearms Teacher commissions, to which I enthusiastically commented my own suggestion:

Last edited:

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Well, at least we found out the origins of the guy asking for Doom Slayer: Firearms Teacher commissions, to which I enthusiastically commented my own suggestion:
I found this picture in the comments of the first set.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
All these pictures of these video game characters being related to Super Smash Bros gives me a small amount of hype for Doom Guy in Smash.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Another thing I noticed about that picture is that Doomguy uses his design from Doom Eternal, complete with the shoulder gun.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord

He says at 39:04 "It's pretty cool to be in the amidst of shipping a new Doom game, while we're also in 25th anniversary and we've got a lot of stuff planned at Quake con and who knows, maybe more surprises for Nintendo fans!"
I would like to add to that statement from the podcast that, when Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle, and later Starfox's inclusion in Starlink: Battle for Atlas were first revealed, it was during Ubisoft's conferences. In prior years the perception was that Nintendo wouldn't allow any content of their flagship IPs be handled or presented by other companies. In recent years however Nintendo has shown that they've become more flexible in allowing other companies (third parties) do the honors of revealing new Nintendo-related content. Being that said, if the DOOM team's got something Smash-related up their sleeves in Quake con (with Nintendo and Sakurai's approval), I'd be all for it.:2gud:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I would like to add to that statement from the podcast that, when Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle, and later Starfox's inclusion in Starlink: Battle for Atlas were first revealed, it was during Ubisoft's conferences. In prior years the perception was that Nintendo wouldn't allow any content of their flagship IPs be handled or presented by other companies. In recent years however Nintendo has shown that they've become more flexible in allowing other companies (third parties) do the honors of revealing new Nintendo-related content. Being that said, if the DOOM team's got something Smash-related up their sleeves in Quake con (with Nintendo and Sakurai's approval), I'd be all for it.:2gud:
While it's true that Nintendo is okay with other companies handling their IPs, Mario + Rabbids and Starlink are Ubisoft's creations so it makes sense for Ubisoft to show it at their conferences while Super Smash Bros Ultimate is Nintendo's creation. It would be up to Nintendo to reveal new content for their game, not the third party so I don't think Doom Guy in Smash will be shown at Quake con unless Sakurai himself or a Nintendo representative suitable to talk about Super Smash Bros DLC make an appearance.

In addition, Quakecon starts in July 25th which is way too early to reveal Doom Guy if he is in Smash Bros. The E3 direct was only a month ago and characters 4 and 5 aren't going to be released until late 2019 and early 2020. They haven't even released the Dragon Quests Heroes yet. Hype responsibly.

Last edited:

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
Out of curiosity, what non-Doom soundtracks could work if remixed and/or included alongside the Doom Slayer upon release?

I'm sure Quake 2's Quad Machine and Descent into Cerberon would be the more obvious/popular picks, but I'd be insanely interested if they managed to get some of the Quake 1 tracks implemented/remixed (beyond the main theme, ofc)
Something along the lines of this would be awesome for a remix, though having one or two of the more atmospheric tracks redone couldn't hurt either:

Top Bottom