• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

At Smash's Gate - The Doom Marine/Doomguy/Doom Slayer Thread

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Alright guys, now that Banjo is in, this is my new permanent home, hope you guys enjoy more company.

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
I'd go for an actual Cyberdemon/Spider Mastermind fight over Ganon, but sure.

As for music? Hmm...

Cyberdeath?
Having an actual Doom boss would be dope, would love to see a smash model rendition of a classic cyberdemon or spider mastermind, or even the versions from Eternal. I don't see it as particularly likely but who knows.

And yeah I'd love to see some Doom 64 or Doom 3 stuff as well as Bobby Prince's and Mick Gordon's stuff. Those two games don't have as much music to work with, so they might have to expand on them or make medlys, but it would be cool to see.

Somehow I doubt Bethesda/Id would be nearly as stingy as Squenix with the music. I'm sure anyone who ever worked on a Doom soundtrack, including Aubry Hodges (Doom 64) and Andrew Hulshult (IDKFAv2), would be more than happy to have their stuff in the game. At least, I can't think of a reason they wouldn't.

I just hope nintendo would approach them. Particularly Hulshult, his versions (which we've all been posting) of Prince's compositions are so damn good, arguably the best representations of them, so unless they want to put in the work of making their own versions, his versions are definitely the best choice.

Last edited:

TableCloth

Smash Cadet
Just bought Doom again on PS4. Can't wait to replay the campaign on hard this time.

I do hope the Doomslayer has his Eternal design. Would love for him to use the arm blade, grappling hook and flamethrower in his moveset.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Just bought Doom again on PS4. Can't wait to replay the campaign on hard this time.

I do hope the Doomslayer has his Eternal design. Would love for him to use the arm blade, grappling hook and flamethrower in his moveset.
I just realized, if he did have his Eternal design with all of its upgrades, how would they go about bringing in a more classic design? Would they at all if that were the case?

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
I just realized, if he did have his Eternal design with all of its upgrades, how would they go about bringing in a more classic design? Would they at all if that were the case?
It's not hard to imagine an alt look that looks something like Quake III Doomguy:
199547-doom.jpg
but with the new stuff as well. It would be easy to make equivalents that would mesh with a classic look.

Last edited:

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
Having an actual Doom boss would be dope, would love to see a smash model rendition of a classic cyberdemon or spider mastermind, or even the versions from Eternal. I don't see it as particularly likely but who knows.

And yeah I'd love to see some Doom 64 or Doom 3 stuff as well as Bobby Prince's and Mick Gordon's stuff. Those two games don't have as much music to work with, so they might have to expand on them or make medlys, but it would be cool to see.

Somehow I doubt Bethesda/Id would be nearly as stingy as Squenix with the music. I'm sure anyone who ever worked on a Doom soundtrack, including Aubry Hodges (Doom 64) and Andrew Hulshult (IDKFAv2), would be more than happy to have their stuff in the game. At least, I can't think of a reason they wouldn't.

I just hope nintendo would approach them. Particularly Hulshult, his versions (which we've all been posting) of Prince's compositions are so damn good, arguably the best representations of them, so unless they want to put in the work of making their own versions, his versions are definitely the best choice.
I dunno. Markie Music makes a lot of good renditions of id/non-id tracks:

Just copy over his outfits from Quake Champions, but replace his Quake III: Arena outfit with his Doom 64 outfit.

GhostClown

Smash Rookie
Honestly, if we get Erdrick and Banjo at E3, my hopes for him are really gonna plummet. Not to fall TOO much into leaks and speculation, but the whole idea of the "Mii Costume Theory" makes an unfortunate amount of sense when it comes to reselling old costumes. Plus, I'm less confident now that Fighter Pass 2 could happen.
Well, that came true so we'll have to see. I still have hopes up since some supposed leaks called Erdrick and Banjo along with Ninja Gaiden and Doom but who knows. Marx from Kirby is my long term (maybe next game) most desired character but Doom Slayer is right up there with him. The heavy metal, adrenaline surge shooter style would be spicy for Smash.

TerminatorLOL

Smash Journeyman
They could have Doomguy's reveal be a continuation of Simon's trailer. After all he does need to save Luigi's soul.

doom.png

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
They could have Doomguy's reveal be a continuation of Simon's trailer. After all he does need to save Luigi's soul.
OK yeah, it would be kinda awesome if DOOM's Hell was beneath Dracula's Castle...

Luigi's spirit starts drifting downwards through the floor, down through rock until lava and fire starts appearing all around, he gets worried. Then (Eternal) Imps show up, he comes through an opening to a big, open, fire and brimstone area with more Imps, Mancubi, Cacodemons, Hell Knights and Barons. He's legit terrified out of his mind, and right as he reaches the "floor", a gauntleted hand grabs him by the back of his collar, stopping his descent.

It's motha****in Doom Slayer, who proceeds to tuck him under his arm, and use his Meat-Hook, thruster boots, double dash and glory kills to climb back out. Camera cuts to the floor Luigi originally sank through, which explodes upward, the Slayer plowing through the floor, just like the wall in the E3 demo.

At least that's how I'd do that scenario....

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Doomguy is being rated in the Rate Their Chances thread, show your support.

PreludeOf1999

Smash Rookie
Nah I'd prefer if it continues on from Ridley's trailer because the Metroid setting fits Doom Guy more.
Most definitely. Having Ridley on the winning side against Samus, then before he could finisher her off, the Doom Slayer intervenes. Can already see it in my head.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Those two follow ups would be really nice, not gonna lie. Although I loved the tie in to WoL with Hero, so it would be cool having Darkhon noticing Doomguy and being all up in his face while he reloads his shotgun. That would send so many shivers down my spine, lol.

I’m sure they’ll come up with something spectacular for him.

And please for the love of hell, use E1M1 Hangar as the trailer BGM!

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Nah I'd prefer if it continues on from Ridley's trailer because the Metroid setting fits Doom Guy more.
I agree with this. Not just because Metroid and it's futuristic setting suits Doomguy more, but also because Ridley is creepy enough to fit right with the demons that appear in Doom.

Last edited:

PreludeOf1999

Smash Rookie
I have been a lurker for a while, decided to make an account today. I am going to post a concept of how the Doom Slayer/Doom Marine could be represented in Ultimate that I came up with progressively this month. You can also add me as one of the supporters for Doomguy.
DOOM SLAYER
Appearance is based on the Praetor Suit from the rebooted iteration. Default outfit is based on his design from Doom Eternal, while the other outfits give him his appearance from Doom (2016). Outfits 1, 3, 5 (Doom Eternal); outfits 2 & 4 (Doom, 2016).

DOOM MARINE
Outfits 6 and 7 are based on his design from Doom (1993), while outfit 8 is based on his outing in Doom 64. When the mentioned alts are selected, he is referred to in-game as Doom Marine. His in-match portrait changes to the damage indicator similar to the one in Doom (1993). When you win as Doom Marine, Intermission (Doom, 1993) will play instead of At Doom's Gate (Doom, 2016).
As Doom Slayer,
• Outfit 1: Default Appearance (Doom Eternal)
• Outfit 2: Exact appearance from Doom (2016).
• Outfit 3: Helmetless. While still using the Praetor Suit as a base, this outfit replicates Doom Marine's appearance in Doom 3.
• Outfit 4: White colored suit and teal colored visor, in reference to the Night Sentinels from Doom (2016).
• Outfit 5: Outfit is yellow, red, and silver, a reference to the Ranger from Quake.

As Doom Marine,
• Outfit 6: Exact appearance from Doom (1993).
• Outfit 7: Helmetless. The outfit is similar in appearance to the Doom (1993) suit but is pristine instead of torn.
• Outfit 8: Exact appearance from Doom 64.
• Up Taunt: Doom Slayer/Doom Marine cracks his knuckles menacing.
• Side Taunt: Doom Slayer/Doom Marine pulls out a Doomguy collectible from Doom (2016) and looks at it. Collectible changes to match his selected outfit.
• Down Taunt: Doom Slayer intimidates his opponents with the Crucible, slashing it in the air twice. The Doom Marine instead pulls out a chainsaw and starts revving it.
1. Doom Slayer/Doom Marine looks at his collectible and fist-bumps it.
2. Doom Slayer/Doom Marine grabs an Imp, throws them offscreen, and shoots it with his shotgun.
3. Doom Slayer/Doom Marine has his back against the camera, turns his head to glance at it, revealing more of his face behind his helmet. Similar to a pose from one of the cutscenes from Doom Eternal.
UAC Mars, transitions to Hell (or referred to as Argent D'Nur because of rating) mid-match. Various demons are present as hazards in the UAC, as well as Hell. Hell itself and the hazard demons are disabled in hazardless battles.
DOOM (2016)
1. BFG Division
2. Rip & Tear
3. Cyberdemon
4. VEGA Core
5. Mastermind

DOOM (1993)
1. At Doom's Gate - New Arrangement
2. The Imps Song
3. Sign of Evil - New Arrangement
4. Facing the Spider

DOOM II
1. Running From Evil
2. Into Sandy's City - New Arrangement

Victory Theme:
1. At Doom's Gate - DOOM (2016), for Doom Slayer
2. Intermission - DOOM (1993), for Doom Marine
Would appreciate your guys' thoughts on this.

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
I have been a lurker for a while, decided to make an account today. I am going to post a concept of how the Doom Slayer/Doom Marine could be represented in Ultimate that I came up with progressively this month. You can also add me as one of the supporters for Doomguy.
DOOM SLAYER
Appearance is based on the Praetor Suit from the rebooted iteration. Default outfit is based on his design from Doom Eternal, while the other outfits give him his appearance from Doom (2016). Outfits 1, 3, 5 (Doom Eternal); outfits 2 & 4 (Doom, 2016).

DOOM MARINE
Outfits 6 and 7 are based on his design from Doom (1993), while outfit 8 is based on his outing in Doom 64. When the mentioned alts are selected, he is referred to in-game as Doom Marine. His in-match portrait changes to the damage indicator similar to the one in Doom (1993). When you win as Doom Marine, Intermission (Doom, 1993) will play instead of At Doom's Gate (Doom, 2016).
As Doom Slayer,
• Outfit 1: Default Appearance (Doom Eternal)
• Outfit 2: Exact appearance from Doom (2016).
• Outfit 3: Helmetless. While still using the Praetor Suit as a base, this outfit replicates Doom Marine's appearance in Doom 3.
• Outfit 4: White colored suit and teal colored visor, in reference to the Night Sentinels from Doom (2016).
• Outfit 5: Outfit is yellow, red, and silver, a reference to the Ranger from Quake.

As Doom Marine,
• Outfit 6: Exact appearance from Doom (1993).
• Outfit 7: Helmetless. The outfit is similar in appearance to the Doom (1993) suit but is pristine instead of torn.
• Outfit 8: Exact appearance from Doom 64.
• Up Taunt: Doom Slayer/Doom Marine cracks his knuckles menacing.
• Side Taunt: Doom Slayer/Doom Marine pulls out a Doomguy collectible from Doom (2016) and looks at it. Collectible changes to match his selected outfit.
• Down Taunt: Doom Slayer intimidates his opponents with the Crucible, slashing it in the air twice. The Doom Marine instead pulls out a chainsaw and starts revving it.
1. Doom Slayer/Doom Marine looks at his collectible and fist-bumps it.
2. Doom Slayer/Doom Marine grabs an Imp, throws them offscreen, and shoots it with his shotgun.
3. Doom Slayer/Doom Marine has his back against the camera, turns his head to glance at it, revealing more of his face behind his helmet. Similar to a pose from one of the cutscenes from Doom Eternal.
UAC Mars, transitions to Hell (or referred to as Argent D'Nur because of rating) mid-match. Various demons are present as hazards in the UAC, as well as Hell. Hell itself and the hazard demons are disabled in hazardless battles.
DOOM (2016)
1. BFG Division
2. Rip & Tear
3. Cyberdemon
4. VEGA Core
5. Mastermind

DOOM (1993)
1. At Doom's Gate - New Arrangement
2. The Imps Song
3. Sign of Evil - New Arrangement
4. Facing the Spider

DOOM II
1. Running From Evil
2. Into Sandy's City - New Arrangement

Victory Theme:
1. At Doom's Gate - DOOM (2016), for Doom Slayer
2. Intermission - DOOM (1993), for Doom Marine
Would appreciate your guys' thoughts on this.
Definitely some good ideas there, I love the idea of his name and victory tune changing between the Eternal and Classic skins. I'd love to have lots of variations to his look, but that many may be more than they would do.

Room100

Smash Apprentice
Well, that came true so we'll have to see. I still have hopes up since some supposed leaks called Erdrick and Banjo along with Ninja Gaiden and Doom but who knows. Marx from Kirby is my long term (maybe next game) most desired character but Doom Slayer is right up there with him. The heavy metal, adrenaline surge shooter style would be spicy for Smash.
I think leak-wise it's pretty much a free-for-all at this point, no one thing has really been sticking out as viable. Which is fun because DLC can be a surprise again, but stressful because I don't want to get my hopes up.

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
Those two follow ups would be really nice, not gonna lie. Although I loved the tie in to WoL with Hero, so it would be cool having Darkhon noticing Doomguy and being all up in his face while he reloads his shotgun. That would send so many shivers down my spine, lol.

I’m sure they’ll come up with something spectacular for him.

And please for the love of hell, use E1M1 Hangar as the trailer BGM!
Either that, or have Dharkon nope the **** outta there as soon as he notices him, leaving the clones to the Slayer's mercy.

ButterGeek

Smash Apprentice
For me it’s no question that the Slayer’s reveal trailer would feature him fighting Bayonetta

Bayo and Doomguy are perfect, basically poetic opposites of each other. On one hand an extremely feminine Angel torturer who constantly **** talks and ****s with her victims and on the other an extremely masculine Demon torturer who’s as aggressive, quick and silent as possible. And they’re both powerful as all Hell and Heaven.

I’m sure Sakurai would take advantage of all of this in the reveal trailer.

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
For me it’s no question that the Slayer’s reveal trailer would feature him fighting Bayonetta

Bayo and Doomguy are perfect, basically poetic opposites of each other. On one hand an extremely feminine Angel torturer who constantly **** talks and ****s with her victims and on the other an extremely masculine Demon torturer who’s as aggressive, quick and silent as possible. And they’re both powerful as all Hell and Heaven.

I’m sure Sakurai would take advantage of all of this in the reveal trailer.
If that doesn't come to fruition, then I'd second the showing of Gaming's Power Couple:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Tbh I think Doomguy is asexual. Only joy he derives is from platonically ripping and tearing through demons
Well, depending on how you see the lore, we know he had a son at least. I just think that ge currently values his job more than pursuing a relationship as of now. Maybe if that special someone could keep up with him...

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Secondary Doom Guy supporter here. Let's look at the good and bad.

Good
- Doom Eternal is most likely going to be shown at E3
- E3 is a mostly American venue that starts at 2:00am for people in Japan
- Sakurai said "Look forward to DLC 2 and 3" which could mean they are being revealed close together
- Doom pioneered the First Person Shooter genre, something that Sakurai could take into consideration
- Doom has had a history of being on Nintendo consoles such as the SNES, N64, GBA and Switch
- The google theory has Doom Guy along with Banjo Kazooie and has yet to be disproven
- Bethesda have been speaking to Nintendo in regards to Super Smash Bros
- Joker has proven that Guns are legal in Smash Bros regardless if it's real or not

Bad
- Doom is virtually unknown in Japan, just as Dragon Quest is unknown in the United States and Europe
- However, Sakurai said "Look forward to DLC 2 and 3" in Japanese which means one character could be from Japan
- No credible leakers have backed up Doom Guy being part of the fighter's pass
- While I don't agree with this point, Sakurai could view the game as too gorey for Smash Bros
- Having two western characters join within the same time frame would alienate the Japanese audience
- Doom Guy faces competition from Erdrick who's franchise holds up incredibly well in Japan alone

So from what I have said, I give Doom Guy a 40% chance of appearing.
Just wanted to make an update to my Good points and Bad points about Doom Guy's chances of being Super Smash Bros Ultimate.

Good
- Doom pioneered the First Person Shooter genre, something that Sakurai could take into consideration as it is a genre currently unrepresented in Smash Bros.
- Doom has had a history of being on Nintendo consoles such as the SNES with Doom 1, N64 with the exclusive Doom 64, GBA with Doom 1 and 2 ports and the Switch with Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal ports. Better than what Master Chief has which is no games on Nintendo consoles.
- Pete Hines statement is somewhat eyebrow raising considering he said that they have something special for Nintendo fans. It could end up being ports of the older Doom games but Bethesda is a big enough company to throw their hat in the ring for Smash.
- Bethesda have been speaking to Nintendo in regards of getting a character to appear in Super Smash Bros. Sakurai will most likely pick Doom Guy as most Bethesda characters don't have the kind of seniority that Doom Guy holds.
- Bethesda is a company that does not have a character currently in Super Smash Bros. If the fighter's pass only contains one character per company then Master Chief is out of the running who was Doom Guy's biggest threat.
- Doom Guy doesn't have much contention with any other Bethesda owned series. The closest is Vault Boy but considering that protagonists come first when introducing a game series, Vault boy is out of contention. He'd make a cool Mii costume but I digress.
- Joker has proven that Guns are legal in Smash Bros regardless if it's real or not.
- Doom Guy has not been leaked to be in Mortal Kombat 11 which is good news so far.

Bad
- Doom is virtually unknown in Japan, just as Dragon Quest is unknown in the United States and Europe
- No credible leakers have backed up Doom Guy being part of the fighter's pass
- While I don't agree with this point, Sakurai could view the game as too gorey for Smash Bros
- The google theory turned out to be bogus so there is now nothing concrete regarding Doom Guy's inclusion
- The Mii Costume is also a big hit towards Doom Guy's chances as Capcom and Namco could also want their characters in DLC
- Bethesda is a Western developer which presents a language barrier. While Banjo Kazooie did get in, it could be a one time thing since Banjo Kazooie had a monolithic fanbase requesting him into the game and Sakurai was probably willing to do it just once.

So from all of this, I'm raising Doom Guy's chances in being in Super Smash Bros Ultimate's Fighter pass DLC to a 50%. Also if Capcom is getting another DLC character, a Resident Evil character is essentially a lock.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I just had a thought: if Doom Slayer is in Smash Bros as promotion for Doom Eternal, then that gives an interesting opportunity: the Marauder as an Echo Fighter. At the moment, I think it's a good idea, but who knows? Maybe more info will be released that can make this sound like a bad idea.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
All this talk about the Doom Marine and Samus in a trailer together reminded me of an image I found in reddit a few months back. Both vs. Ridley: View attachment 228482
Been telling my friend for awhile if Smash was ever gonna reveal Doomguy, it needs to take place right after the Ridley reveal. Continue their fight in a hallway and when Ridley's about to lunge toward Samus, have Bowser burst through the wall. Footsteps are heard, metal music kicked in, the Doom Slayer comes out through the hole with the BFG in one hand and a giant, unconscious Ganon in the other pulling him by his hair.

Last edited:

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
I just had a thought: if Doom Slayer is in Smash Bros as promotion for Doom Eternal, then that gives an interesting opportunity: the Marauder as an Echo Fighter. At the moment, I think it's a good idea, but who knows? Maybe more info will be released that can make this sound like a bad idea.
Not to be a negative nancy, but getting even one id shooter protag would be monumental. I don't see that happening unfortunately, BJ would be the more likely pick for an echo and I don't even see that as likely.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
It's a neat idea, but I am not sure. I personally support a character who would be an echo of Joker, but there is significant evidence to that possibility. It really depends on how Nintendo would handle DLC echo characters.

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
Not to be a negative nancy, but getting even one id shooter protag would be monumental. I don't see that happening unfortunately, BJ would be the more likely pick for an echo and I don't even see that as likely.
With that in mind, I decided to revise my list of Alt costumes for the Doom Slayer:

• Doom Eternal Praetor Suit
  • Doom 2016 Praetor Suit
  • Doom 3 Marine
  • Doom 64 Marine
  • Doomguy
  • The Maurauder
  • B.J. Blazkowics
  • Ranger
It'd be a smidge harder to implement, but you'd still get the maximum rep points for both Doom and the id FPSs

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, seeing the current commotion in the RTC thread made me think about something and I am curious what you guys think.

Do you think Doom 2016 bringing in more gore was a good or bad decision? It has certainly affected the series image, but I am curious of what value it has brought.

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
You know, seeing the current commotion in the RTC thread made me think about something and I am curious what you guys think.

Do you think Doom 2016 bringing in more gore was a good or bad decision? It has certainly affected the series image, but I am curious of what value it has brought.
It's a good thing, the gore is a natural evolution of the series, people would have ******* if it wasn't there, because Doom did indeed push the limits back in the day.

So I can understand why people still even now tend to see it as overly violent. The thing is, Nintendo isn't as scared of this stuff anymore, they had frickin Madworld on the Wii, and even as violent as DOOM 2016 can be it's far from pushing the limits anymore. Then you combine that with the fact that Doom can be toned down for the GBA, and thinking it's too violent becomes silly, at least to me.

For some reason some people just don't realize how violent Bayonetta as a series actually is, on top of being sexual, which is arguably worse depending on who you ask (not me but still).

TerminatorLOL

Smash Journeyman

I think it was just natural progression. Doom was a violent/metal game for its time, it only makes sense that they would push that further in the future.

People saying that Doom guy is "too violent for smash" is just as close minded as the "too big" argument was for Ridley. It can be changed for the game, has already been changed for other characters, and has been changed in some of the character's own games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom