• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

At Smash's Gate - The Doom Marine/Doomguy/Doom Slayer Thread

doomguywhen1993

Smash Apprentice
His trailer could also be a follow up to Luigi in Castlevania, but with him interacting with zombieman and Lost Souls.
Also, instead of a shadow, Doomguy's major hint could be the camera moving in a specific way to represent someone's point of view, before he looks down to either clench his fists or reload the SSG.
We also got a new alt fire for the Plasma rifle and a chaingun that shoots blue bullets, so there's that.

On a semi unrelated note: Wasn't John Romero a fan of Chrono Trigger?

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I've been wondering for a while now about how Doomguy would play. Do you all think he'd be similair to Samus' playstyle or would he be a full zoner like Mega Man?

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
You know, my idea for the Doomguy trailer was sort of conditioned to Medusa/Hades trailer or boss fight.

It was basically, Pit arriving to the underworld and facing a giant Medusa / Hades. He gets his ass kicked and while laying face down on all fours. Medu/Hades laughs as (s)he prepares a final attack when BOOM! rocket to the face! Then a pair of green boots step beside Pit, who looks up, before a green armor glove picks him up by the tunic, camera zooms out. Doomguy’s gaze fixed on Medu/Hades, and he throws Pit over his shoulder.

Then brings out his weapon, and then splash screen. Gameplay trailer begins.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I've been wondering for a while now about how Doomguy would play. Do you all think he'd be similair to Samus' playstyle or would he be a full zoner like Mega Man?
Doomguy probably won’t be a zoner. Doom encourages you to go head first into danger so I’d imagine he’d be less of a zoner.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Honestly, I'd say a blend of rushdown and zoner. Playing Doom is about being mobile, getting in opponent's face (As cool mario bros said), while at the same time using guns-a-plenty. The rushdown side being from Fox-like mobility, brutal melee attacks and Glory Kills while the zoner side would lean more towards diverse projectiles ranging from plasma balls to rockets to just plain ol' tungsten. And funny you should mention Mega Man, because I imagine him being one of the few that can attack while moving.

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
And funny you should mention Mega Man, because I imagine him being one of the few that can attack while moving.
This to me is definitely a must, its just obvious.

Classic Doom and DOOM are definitely both built around the whole idea of run and gun, it's integral and essential. Hell even when Doom 3 limited the mobility, using the sprint to quickly react to and evade ambushes or flanking was pretty essential. Standing still is death, DOOM even says this.
I think it's pretty clear to anyone who actually plays the games for even a small amount of time.

Edit: also, on another topic, I guess that con in the opening post about western series could probably be removed?
Doom is IMO next in line after BK as far as western originating series go, the importance to gaming and history with Nintendo is just too stronk.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
This to me is definitely a must, its just obvious.

Classic Doom and DOOM are definitely both built around the whole idea of run and gun, it's integral and essential. Hell even when Doom 3 limited the mobility, using the sprint to quickly react to and evade ambushes or flanking was pretty essential. Standing still is death, DOOM even says this.
I think it's pretty clear to anyone who actually plays the games for even a small amount of time.

Edit: also, on another topic, I guess that con in the opening post about western series could probably be removed?
Doom is IMO next in line after BK as far as western originating series go, the importance to gaming and history with Nintendo is just too stronk.
Yeah the western series argument should be removed. I never thought of it as a legitemate point against Doomguy and other Western characters so I'm glad Banjo finally killed it.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Honestly, I'd say a blend of rushdown and zoner. Playing Doom is about being mobile, getting in opponent's face (As cool mario bros said), while at the same time using guns-a-plenty. The rushdown side being from Fox-like mobility, brutal melee attacks and Glory Kills while the zoner side would lean more towards diverse projectiles ranging from plasma balls to rockets to just plain ol' tungsten. And funny you should mention Mega Man, because I imagine him being one of the few that can attack while moving.
I see his gameplan being to stun with projectiles before rushing in with melee, causing him to work best at mid range.

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
I just had a thought, off the current topic of playstyle.
I think there is one thing a lot of people seem to be missing or underestimating when it comes to the idea of Doom joining Smash.

I realized that the crossover of Doom fans and Smash fans, particularly classic doom fans, of which there is a lot if the still thriving modding scene is any indication, isn't that great. Yeah, theres us, but this thread certainly isn't the biggest.

But, one thing I would say, is time and time again whenever I see a doom fan hear about the idea of him in smash, the response is very often along the lines of "Oh ****! I'd totally get a switch for that!"

What I'm getting at, and what I think a lot of Smash fans seem to miss, is that Doomguy would likely bring in a TON of new players to the game. Doom is the kind of franchise that inspires that kind of loyalty.

This to me kind of boosts his chances even more in my eyes, but I want to keep my expectations in check.
Still, I have to imagine bringing in new players is something Nintendo wants, and if I can realize this... who knows.

Last edited:

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
I read somewhere else (probably the Newcomer DLC thread) that Nintendo and Bethesda had a Smash talk and that it was positive. This happened around a year ago... Is it possible that it was decided by then that Doomguy or Dohvakiin or ... was going to be in the Smash DLC as character #4 or #5? Can't think about Nintendo discussing Smash DLC with Bethesda, Bethesda saying "OK", and then Nintendo suddenly saying "oh no sorry, we are not going to put a character in."

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
I read somewhere else (probably the Newcomer DLC thread) that Nintendo and Bethesda had a Smash talk and that it was positive. This happened around a year ago... Is it possible that it was decided by then that Doomguy or Dohvakiin or ... was going to be in the Smash DLC as character #4 or #5? Can't think about Nintendo discussing Smash DLC with Bethesda, Bethesda saying "OK", and then Nintendo suddenly saying "oh no sorry, we are not going to put a character in."
Yeah, this bit, combined with the fact that Sakurai seems to be aware of Doom's significance. How do we know this? In an interview from around the time of Cloud's release, Sakurai talks about prominent devs born in the 70's like him, and the ONE western name he drops is John ****in Carmack ("Internationally, you have John Carmack, the father of FPS’s...")
So, yeah, you got that plus the fact that Bethesda spoke to Nintendo about Smash. These things, together? I personally think they could indeed mean something.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The only statement I'm aware of is the reply of "Oh yeah" from Pete Hines whether Bethesda has spoken to Nintendo about Smash. Is there another statement out there that implies further positive development? Because that reply is... deliberately taciturn.

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
The only statement I'm aware of is the reply of "Oh yeah" from Pete Hines whether Bethesda has spoken to Nintendo about Smash. Is there another statement out there that implies further positive development? Because that reply is... deliberately taciturn.
Well, "oh yeah!" is a think you would only say if you are positive about something.

Yeah, this bit, combined with the fact that Sakurai seems to be aware of Doom's significance. How do we know this? In an interview from around the time of Cloud's release, Sakurai talks about prominent devs born in the 70's like him, and the ONE western name he drops is John ****in Carmack ("Internationally, you have John Carmack, the father of FPS’s...")
So, yeah, you got that plus the fact that Bethesda spoke to Nintendo about Smash. These things, together? I personally think they could indeed mean something.
I see the stars aligning for Doomguy to be in Smash...

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
I see the stars aligning for Doomguy to be in Smash...
Yeah, but, I mean, I'm trying my best to not expect anything, its still possible they went with someone else.
That said, even if he doesn't make it in this time around I still do think this all means he's at least been considered, so IMO theres always a chance of something coming of it later on if not now.

Last edited:

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
My third party prediction: https://i.imgtc.ws/tOPWiuq.jpg

I really think Doom Slayer is coming and will be joined by Jill Valentine (though could be Leon, I think Jill is just a tad more likely). What do you guys think?

Also, I was trying to get the image to work on here, but it refuses to. You'll just have to use the link instead.

Last edited:

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
Honestly I could see it, certainly not the most left field pick, RE deserves the spot IMO. It's also a series where a universal moveset for multiple skins ala the Hero or the Koopalings could work, So honestly they could put Jill, Chris, Claire and Leon all in at once if they wanted to.

How likely do I think it actually is? *shrug* Honestly I'm not sure about anything with Smash these days.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Time to overanalyze!

There was a problem fetching the tweet

And if nothing else, at least you have Keighley in your corner. ;)

Well, "oh yeah!" is a think you would only say if you are positive about something.
Well it's a positive answer to the question. But anything past that is reading into it a bit much.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Conspiracy Theory: He hesitates immediately because Doom Slayer is in Smash.
In a job like that, I'd think that you'd need to think about what to say, because any comment could be over-analyzed. You know, like we're doing now haha.

Good to know that people support the idea, though!

Untouch

Smash Master
I can't recognize any of the people in that video besides Geoff, I know that isn't Hines or either of the producers of modern DOOM.

ButterGeek

Smash Apprentice
After too many hours and too much wasted effort I have created a mockup of a promotional fighter's pass image that illustrates in my opinion the best possible spenario right now (that includes Doomguy)

https://imgur.com/a/Zn2nF9s

(I took elements from many different sources, the face for Steve was taken from jaredcamp83 on Blend Swap)

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I really think Doom Slayer is coming and will be joined by Jill Valentine (though could be Leon, I think Jill is just a tad more likely).
Why just Jill Valentine when you can have Leon Kennedy and the Redfield siblings too? They can alternate costumes like the heroes but I digress.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Why just Jill Valentine when you can have Leon Kennedy and the Redfield siblings too? They can alternate costumes like the heroes but I digress.
Idk if that would work as well for all four of them. Mostly because Chris is a little too bulky and their heights aren't the same. I could see this being a Sakurai problem. Like how he didn't want to make Isabelle a Villager Echo Fighter. Would be a great way to get them all in, but Idk.

Last edited:

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
Exactly my thought as well.

And yeah, nice to see someone with that kind of visibility supporting the idea.

Last edited:

Grie

Smash Apprentice
After e3 I am extremely confident that doomguy is the most likely candidat for the dlc pass. Every single one of is major roadblocks that could have stopped him are literally gone.

Real guns? Joker as a gun. Looks like a gun, sounds like a gun, Sakurai said it’s gun, it’s gun and he’s fine with it.
Violence? Just tone him down while still making him brutal.
Western developer? All hail Banjo it’s no longer a problem (if it ever was one in the first place)
And as a side note, he would be a nice foil to hero. Hero is of eastern developers representing rpgs, one of it’s more well known gaming genres and Doomguy would represent western developers and the fps genre, the one it is most referenced with.

And on a final note, he’s now my most wanted. Glad to see this thread picking up steam again.

TableCloth

Smash Cadet
I don't want to hype myself up too much but man I'm getting good vibes for Doomslayer's chances right now.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Btw the guys Keighley is talking to don't work for id or Bethesda or anything.

Just thought it'd be fun to post the video.

:troll:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Idk if that would work as well for all four of them. Mostly because Chris is a little too bulky and their heights aren't the same. I could see this being a Sakurai problem. Like how he didn't want to make Isabelle a Villager Echo Fighter. Would be a great way to get them all in, but Idk.
i don't know, maybe they could use their original physique so they can closely match each other and Sakurai is known to break his rules pretty easily. I mean he was going to make Lucina an alt of Marth so nothing is firmly in place.

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
After too many hours and too much wasted effort I have created a mockup of a promotional fighter's pass image that illustrates in my opinion the best possible spenario right now (that includes Doomguy)

https://imgur.com/a/Zn2nF9s

(I took elements from many different sources, the face for Steve was taken from jaredcamp83 on Blend Swap)
Would Microsoft really double-dip with the fighter inclusions? Seems like a bit of a roster hog, IMO.

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
Would Microsoft really double-dip with the fighter inclusions? Seems like a bit of a roster hog, IMO.
Yeah I agree. I feel if Doomguy is one of the last 2, the other will be something japanese, like Ryu Hyabusa or something Dark Souls, to balance out the east/west coverage. 2/5 would be preeetty good.

coolmancool

Smash Cadet
I really hope he gets in. I would love a newcomer from a game I've played in the DLC. He is also my most wanted right now.

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
Since Dharkon was used in the Hero's trailer and since Doom Eternal focuses on both Heaven and Hell now, I think it'd be perfect if Doom Slayer were the last character; helping the others fight the army of Galeem/Dharkon clones

MrPowerfulJeans

Smash Cadet
Honestly, my appreciation for Doom Slayer/Doomguy has been growing more and more, especially since I've been playing Doom 2016 recently since Bethesda showcased Doom: Eternal at E3. And ever since Banjo-Kazooie got in, I think he'd be my most wanted DLC Fighter.

Untouch

Smash Master
Pete Hines was on the latest Nintendo Power Podcast, he said some interesting things that stood out. (Honestly even having him on this podcast says a lot to me.)
He mentions the overlap between Bethesda and Nintendo fans a lot and how people bought Switch just to play the games and moved over to buying more games.
It reminded me a lot of what Reggie said about how Smash DLC was picked.
He also mentions "who knows, maybe some more surprises for Nintendo fans" at 39:14.

Last edited:

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
Pete Hines was on the latest Nintendo Power Podcast, he said some interesting things that stood out. (Honestly even having him on this podcast says a lot to me.)
He mentions the overlap between Bethesda and Nintendo fans a lot and how people bought Switch just to play the games and moved over to buying more games.
It reminded me a lot of what Reggie said about how Smash DLC was picked.
Yeah I just saw this on twitter.
*Breathes*
It could easily mean nothing... but damn... The Bethesda/Nintendo relationship remains pretty solid, we can at least say that much for sure...

Last edited:

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
Why do they keep teasing us? This is absolute torture.

Can't wait till November or whenever they announce the last 2 fighters

Top Bottom