• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

At Smash's Gate - The Doom Marine/Doomguy/Doom Slayer Thread

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to voice my support for the DOOM Slayer! I'd love for him to be included, and have already made a moveset for him, as well as Ranger from Quake as his echo fighter!

Doomslayer Smash Bros Splash Screen.jpg

Gimmick of this character is that he, like megaman, is much more reliant on projectiles for his neutral. The Super Shotgun is both his jab, forward tilt and dash attack, with his dash attack having the only slight difference. Each one of these can also be tilted up and down, like simon’s whip. He is extremely fast, with one of the fastest walking speeds in the game (though his dash speed is about on par with meta knight or palutena), and is meant to never stop moving, or else he’ll get punished, hard. He's a midweight, giving him good mobility, but still a solid amount of durability.

>jab
Super shotgun blast.
>dash attack
Super Shotgun blast, but also rams into opponent.
>tilts
Ftilt: Super Shotgun blast.
Dtilt: Doomguy swiping the double chainsaw from doom 64 downward.
Utilt is a quick spray of fire from his shoulder mounted cannon.
>grab
Simple two handed grab, all throws and pummels are glory kill type attacks.
>side smash
Ejecting and forward thrusting of arm-blade
>upsmash
Swings the super shotgun upwards like a club.
>down smash
Swings his chainsaw down and around in a circle.
>standard special
Can switch his main weapon to other guns. He will start off with the Super Shotgun, but can change it to the plasma rifle or rocket launcher. Super shotgun is good for finishers, plasma rifle for racking up damage, and rocket launcher for spacing. Any move using the super shotgun before will now use one of the other two weapons.
>side special
Grappling claw that works very similarly to isabelle’s fishing rod, only he pulls them to him, and blasts them with his super shotgun. The direction doom guy blasts the opponent can be controlled.
>down special
Gauss Cannon. Can be charged for a stronger blast.
>up special
A small portal appears in front of doomguy, and he rushes into it. It will appear where ever you move the control stick to. The portal will appear in either blue, red or green at random when used, and will linger some to allow the opponent to also use it to if they’re quick enough.
>aerials
Fair: super shotgun blast.
Dair: stomping motion downward. (Can spike)
Bair: swings arm-blade behind him.
Uair: super shotgun blast
>final smash
BFG

ranger running.gif

>jab
Fire weapon
>dash attack
Rams into opponent.
>tilts
Ftilt: Fire weapon
Dtilt: Swipes his axe across the floor
Utilt: punch upward
>grab
Simple two handed grab, all throws and pummels are simple throwing animations
>side smash
Buzzsaw punch
>upsmash
Swings gun upwards like a club
>down smash
Swings his axe down and around in a circle.
>standard special
Can switch his main weapon to different guns. He will start off with the Super Shotgun, but can change it to the nail gun or rocket launcher. Super shotgun is good for finishers, nail gun for racking up damage, and rocket launcher for spacing. Any move using the super shotgun before will now use one of the other two weapons. Each weapon will need it’s own specific time to reload.
>side special
Grappling hook that works very similarly to isabelle’s fishing rod, only he pulls himself to them, and blasts them with his selected gun. The direction Ranger blasts the opponent can be controlled.
>down special
Grenade Launcher. Can shoot up to two grenade pills before needing to reload.
>up special
A small slip gate appears in front of Ranger, and he rushes into it. It will appear where ever you move the control stick to. The portal will linger some to allow the opponent to also use it to if they’re quick enough.
>aerials
Fair: fire weapon
Dair: stomping motion downward. (Can spike)
Bair: swings axe behind him.
Uair: fire weapon
>final smash
Quad Damage

Last edited:

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
He is one of the heaviest characters in the game, only being outclassed by the standard super heavyweights.
This is moreso a critique of the majority of Slayer movesets I've seen, as opposed to just this one in particular (which I might add is fairly good, great if given a bit more detail into it); why do so many people insist on making him a heavyweight?

2016 and Eternal make it very apparent that the Doomslayer strives on mobility, with Eternal putting more emphasis on aerial combat and environmental traverse.

It's all fine and dandy giving him high speed and damage vulnerability, but having him as a heavyweight gimps his air mobility by increasing falling speed and decreasing aerial mobility, while making him tougher to knock out of the arena than needs be. Personally, a more appropriate weight class would be between low-end middleweight and high-end lightweight; light enough to not feel like an anchor while moving in midair while heavy enough to withstand a few light shots or a one-off heavy attack.

Unless you're trying to tie some inspiration from Classic Doom (who's air game would be nonexistent due to his inability to jump), I see very little reason in making him a heavyweight.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
This is moreso a critique of the majority of Slayer movesets I've seen, as opposed to just this one in particular (which I might add is fairly good, great if given a bit more detail into it); why do so many people insist on making him a heavyweight?

2016 and Eternal make it very apparent that the Doomslayer strives on mobility, with Eternal putting more emphasis on aerial combat and environmental traverse.

It's all fine and dandy giving him high speed and damage vulnerability, but having him as a heavyweight gimps his air mobility by increasing falling speed and decreasing aerial mobility, while making him tougher to knock out of the arena than needs be. Personally, a more appropriate weight class would be between low-end middleweight and high-end lightweight; light enough to not feel like an anchor while moving in midair while heavy enough to withstand a few light shots or a one-off heavy attack.

Unless you're trying to tie some inspiration from Classic Doom (who's air game would be nonexistent due to his inability to jump), I see very little reason in making him a heavyweight.
Probably because his appearance fits as one. A fully grown male covered head to toe in armor would give off the appearance as a heavy-weight similar to say, Samus or Ike.
In practice, many characters don't fit like how they'd play in their original games, but are easy to glance and understand at a glance. While I love Sakurai, it wouldn't surprise me if he took one look at DS and instantly decided he was a heavyweight.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
I think Doomguy should reflect how he moves in his classic games. Fast, but takes more knockback than youd expect. You know when you get hit by a rocket or Archvile and get sent flying? Heavy hitting attacks should have a simmilar effect in my opinion. Hes fast in the modern games, but I dont think he quite matches his original speed. Id imagine him being heavy to boot, considering his weaponry and armor, maybe around Snakes or Ikes weight. Also, Im really itching to play Eternal now that were well into 2019.

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman

huh, fair enough. I'll edit the original post to change him to midweight!

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
huh, fair enough. I'll edit the original post to change him to midweight!
Hey, don't always feel forced to change it just because what someone said. If you feel its appropriate him to be a heavyweight for your moveset, that's your choice. I was mainly voicing my confusion at the trend due to my own perceptions of the Doom Slayer a fighter.

Holphino

Smash Apprentice
Well on the bright side, if Doomguy doesn't get added to Smash, since we have a lot of creative ideas for his moveset, someone could just mod him in. We will just have to wait until Ultimate becomes mod-able though.

Last edited:

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
Hey, don't always feel forced to change it just because what someone said. If you feel its appropriate him to be a heavyweight for your moveset, that's your choice. I was mainly voicing my confusion at the trend due to my own perceptions of the Doom Slayer a fighter.
Nah it’s alright lol. In reading you post I actually had a bit of a revelation lol. I was wondering why characters like Piranha Plant were having trouble with moving forward or backwards in the air, and it was because of his weight. And the high air mobility theme was what I was going for with DOOMguy, so that actually fixes my problem lol.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Y’know... If we don’t get Doomguy as a full character, I’d be happy at least with a Mii costume, enough to actually start using Mii Gunner with said costume.

Would still prefer him as a full character of course, don’t get me wrong, but in the event that he’s not, would take the costume as a consolation prize. Same with Master Chief.

doomguywhen1993

Smash Apprentice
I think the problem with not having him as a full character is how great he could be for "breaking" some "barriers" and would be in a position similar to Ryu as a genre representing character.
Also, Bethesda said their E3's focus this year will be Doom, which may not really hint Smash related stuff but at least means they know how big Doom is.
We went from that awful 2015 presentation as if they didn't have much hope in the game to realizing how big Doom is, they might as well see more value in it than Skyrim.
We also got new Eternal footage from Gamespot and Doomguy is even confirmed to have a voice again.
Which means "UNF's" are more than allowed to be represented in Smash.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I’ve never played a DOOM game (I have a weak stomach for blood n’ guts), but for some reason the idea of Doomguy/Doomslayer being in Smash seems awesome to me. I love his (modern) design, I think he’d fit in surprisingly well in Smash, and he’s got enough history to really feel like a video game icon.

I don’t think he’s incredibly likely, but I think he’s got a chance. I’m definetly on board.

joem1k

Smash Rookie
NNID
joem1k
I guess doom guy can bring his arsenal to the battlefield as they just confirmed joker's pistol in the new trailer.

Untouch

Smash Master
Some notable stuff with Joker's reveal.
  • Joker has a realistic gun. It isn't even cartoony, it's just a gun.
  • Joker's portrait changes, this was one of the suggested gimmicks for Doomguy, like in DOOM when he gets hurt.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I guess doom guy can bring his arsenal to the battlefield as they just confirmed joker's pistol in the new trailer.
Definitely. The fact that the special is just called "gun" is hilarious to me because of that.

joem1k

Smash Rookie
NNID
joem1k
Plus joker got some dlc spirits, what do you guys think doom guy would bring along for spirits. my money is on the classic and modern demons

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Plus joker got some dlc spirits, what do you guys think doom guy would bring along for spirits. my money is on the classic and modern demons
I think nearly every classic mosnter would make it. Cacodemon would absolutley have to be a fight with a giant red kirby with a fire flower. Mancubus could be K Rool with a super scope. Pinky is Bowser with a sprint attack.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
5chan leak is fake now since there is no Jack Frost, but now that guns aren’t off limits we could wind up having a pretty faithful Doomguy.

Doomguy + Erdrick at E3 would be a killer a combo. I hope that’s what we get.

Last edited:

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
I do see Doomguy as more likely now, but I'm still not jumping to the "He's a lock" statements.

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
Holy mcfufnuggets. Joker has a REALISTIC FIREARM.

Screw those who use the flimsy excuse of it being only a real gun in the mental World or some ****. IT'S A REAL GUN ALL THE SAME.

Imma post the announcement to r/doom if it hasn't already. Gonna be some ruffled feathers for the Slayer 4 MK fans.

Alrighty, I managed to get a post over at r/Doom started up. Feel free to comment your thoughts over there in order to drum it up for the greater Doom community to see.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Doom/comme...bros/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I think Joker’s victory theme is a loop like Cloud’s. So if Doomguy gets in, it could be very likely that his victory theme is a loop of the intermission theme. That'd be dope.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
So, besides the realistic firearm thing, what else has Joker done to change your perspective on Doomguy? I am speaking presentation and/or mechanic wise of course.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
So, besides the realistic firearm thing, what else has Joker done to change your perspective on Doomguy? I am speaking presentation and/or mechanic wise of course.
Like what Coolmariobros said, Id want the victory theme to be a loop of the Intermission theme from Doom 1. Since Joker has his uniform for an alt, I also think its possible we get modern and classic armors for Doomguys alts. Also lots of Doom music from 1, 2 , 3, 64, 4 and maybe Eternal depending on when it comes out.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Hey, guys, I wanna ask you all:

If Doom Slayer gets really violent, how about f particular hits make the screen add Joker’s All-Out Attack filter? The sparkles could come out of the wounds instead of blood like in All-Out Attack, and the black silhouettes in the red background can add to that visceral feel to it.

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
Hey, guys, I wanna ask you all:

If Doom Slayer gets really violent, how about f particular hits make the screen add Joker’s All-Out Attack filter? The sparkles could come out of the wounds instead of blood like in All-Out Attack, and the black silhouettes in the red background can add to that visceral feel to it.
Yeah... I doubt the Doom Slayer would require the aping of another characters "thing" to portray his brutality.

As long as they can give his moves (especially throws) sufficient impact and power (alongside some meaty foley effects), then that'd probably do him excellently

Last edited:

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
Yeah... I doubt the Doom Slayer would require the aping of another characters "thing" to portray his brutality.

As long as they can make his moves (especially throws) sufficient impact and power (alongside some meaty foley effects), then that'd probably do him excellently
I personally believe that one of the best ways they could emphasize Doom Guy's brutality without going into Smash-inappropriate gore is to cut the blood but keep the crunching and tearing noises that happens during glory kills whenever he lands a particularly strong melee attack. Would really help to keep that feeling of visceral satisfaction so iconic to the Doom series.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Last edited:

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
How is the MK community taking Doomguy not being in the game?
Not sure. Might be worth posting the leak to r/Doom and then gauge the reaction.

No doubt you'll probably get accusations of it being fake, alongside a potential mass downvote.

In which case, it might be worth placing a disclaimer in the title/first comment of the post highlighting the dubious nature of leaks.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Not sure. Might be worth posting the leak to r/Doom and then gauge the reaction.

No doubt you'll probably get accusations of it being fake, alongside a potential mass downvote.

In which case, it might be worth placing a disclaimer in the title/first comment of the post highlighting the dubious nature of leaks.
But it's directly from the code, so it's not like it has no foundation.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
Top Bottom