• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

At Smash's Gate - The Doom Marine/Doomguy/Doom Slayer Thread

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Yes, his violence would be right at home in MK, but his speed wouldn't.
I think that this is often overlooked... and one of teh main points that make me feel that Doom "Whatever" actually fits smash like a glove, instead of saying, James Bond (movie rights aside) or call of duty soldier. (will refrain from mentioning Master Chief since i've never played a Halo game, so i know **** about the gameplay)

In MK doom marine would probably be just a guy with an obnoxious projectile that other characters will struggle to deal with due to their stiffness and cool fatalities. but that is not actually doom.

Say what you want about ripping demons in half, thats not what makes doom fun or doom. thats an addon that makes what makes doom fun more satisfying. And that is rushing trough enemies, stayuing mobile to survuve while closing to maximize your damage on that ****ers. and if this doesn't translate well into smash bros?... i dunno what would.

Plus he certailny can have a couple of crazy projectiles (wouldnt be teh first) and a cool grab game, and i think we are golden. I think that if his grab are as visceral as say, Bayonetta's Final smash, or Ridleys side B or Down B, we will be fine.

Untouch

Smash Master
If you put heavy zoning characters in Netherrealm games, you get Deadshot.
It's just the nature of the game and the way it plays.

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
Say what you want about ripping demons in half, thats not what makes doom fun or doom. thats an addon that makes what makes doom fun more satisfying. And that is rushing trough enemies, stayuing mobile to survuve while closing to maximize your damage on that ****ers. and if this doesn't translate well into smash bros?... i dunno what would.
This exactly, laid it out pretty much perfect. Doom just FITS Smash's gameplay far better on top of the meta appropriateness. I have some faith that the people making the decisions, if he was considered, are aware of this.

(will refrain from mentioning Master Chief since i've never played a Halo game, so i know **** about the gameplay)
Halo is kind of a mid point between Doom/oldschool and the modern, slow cover based shooter. You have to get out there and fight in the open sometimes, and some enemies definitely require strafing. The enemies are also varied and different like a oldschool shooter, not just all human soldiers/terrorists like CoD. But that said cover is also a thing and the level design is definitely more linear. Anyways back to the point of MC in Smash, he could work, he would not be as fast as Doomguy but would be more resilient, because (ideally) he would have his energy shields.

If you put heavy zoning characters in Netherrealm games, you get Deadshot.
It's just the nature of the game and the way it plays.
Yeah Doomguy, if he were to be made "right, or fair" in MK, would be restricted to chainsaw and melee for the most part, and not be able to use his full arsenal. It's just not as good.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hello there.
I am here to drop my support for Doomguy. Admittedly I didn't think of his potential in Smash Bros. until I saw that leak, but I realized how amazing it would be if he got into Smash!
I played Doom 2016 and it was by far one of the most exhilarating games that I have ever played. I am not huge into FPS games, but Doom really attracted me with its exploration and gameplay... both aspects are incredibly rewarding and fun. Of course, I am looking forward to Doom Eternal... but I hope that the development of that games goes smoothly after the disaster that was Fallout 76.

So yes, here's hoping that we can rip and tear in Smash Bros.!

Holphino

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't mind Doomguy in Mortal Kombat, it would be nice to see what they could come with for his fatalities. Other than that though I'm in the same camp that Geassguy is, it'd be cool sure, but if that means he's not in smash then count me out. Smash has the better characters and gameplay IMO, and since Smash is pretty much a "gaming celebration" I think it fits for Doomguy to be in, considering the impact the original Doom had on the FPS genre and gaming as a whole.

Last edited:

Kzinssie

Smash Rookie
I don't necessarily think that tweet proves anything about Mortal Kombat, but I will say that I don't personally play MK, so it would suck to see the Slayer in it instead of the game I actually play.

Scottfrankd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScottFrankD
I first played Doom on the Switch, although I did watch LP's of it earlier on the PS4.
I think it's a breath of fresh air (oddly enough) since most FPS games seem to merge into one for me, so I'm looking forward to Eternal.
I think Doom Guy as a DLC fighter is perfect - unexpected third party, represents a hugely under-represented genre of games in smash, and supports a company (Bethesda and Panic Button) that have shown continuing support for the Switch.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
who knows... maybe MK gets the cyberdemon instead? so you can even get more gorier... and less need to a second deadshot?

Untouch

Smash Master
Ed Boon is notorious for doing stuff like this, he trolls on twitter like this ALL the time, you can't take tweets like this seriously.

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
Bethesda and Panic Button
I think you mean Bethesda, Id, and Panic button. Id made the game itself and definitely are part of the push for getting it on Switch, they've specifically said they aimed to maximize scalability in Idtech 7 (the new engine iteration being used for Eternal), which means good performance on a wider range of hardware, with the Switch in mind as a specific example. Doom being on Switch deff isn't just a Beth/PB thing.

Last edited:

Holphino

Smash Apprentice
A lot of people seem to think that Doom is a Bethesda property. I can't exactly blame people for thinking that, but it's not the case. ID Software owns Doom and Zenimax(which is Bethesda's parent company) owns ID. I can see how people get confused though, especially since you see Bethesda's logo more often on the new Doom games, then you see ID's. So if Doomguy gets in Smash, it was most likely ID's decision and not Bethesda's.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
A lot of people seem to think that Doom is a Bethesda property. I can't exactly blame people for thinking that, but it's not the case. ID Software owns Doom and Zenimax(which is Bethesda's parent company) owns ID. I can see how people get confused though, especially since you see Bethesda's logo more often on the new Doom games, then you see ID's. So if Doomguy gets in Smash, it was most likely ID's decision and not Bethesda's.
I was one of those people, thanks for informing me.

Untouch

Smash Master
Zenimax is a subsidiary, they own Bethesda Softworks who publish many of the games under ID, including DOOM.
Pete Hines is the PR manager for Bethesda Softworks so he would have been involved if those talks he had with Nintendo did lead to DOOMguy.

Holphino

Smash Apprentice
Zenimax is a subsidiary, they own Bethesda Softworks who publish many of the games under ID, including DOOM.
Pete Hines is the PR manager for Bethesda Softworks so he would have been involved if those talks he had with Nintendo did lead to DOOMguy.
Yeah you're right, my mistake.

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
I think it's fair to say that if Doomguy/marine/slayer gets in, both Bethesda and Id would have a say, and it wouldn't be an issue because the guys at Id would love it.

But I don't work in the industry so I can't say for sure about the first part. CAN though (I think) say for sure about the second, pretty sure they've responded to questions on the topic positively in the past. Those guys are a bunch of fun loving geeks like us, I wouldn't be surprised if some of them even play Smash.

Last edited:

Scottfrankd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScottFrankD
I think you mean Bethesda, Id, and Panic button. Id made the game itself and definitely are part of the push for getting it on Switch, they've specifically said they aimed to maximize scalability in Idtech 7 (the new engine iteration being used for Eternal), which means good performance on a wider range of hardware, with the Switch in mind as a specific example. Doom being on Switch deff isn't just a Beth/PB thing.
So did ID create the original Doom?
I think Doom Guy would be a great and nostalgic rep to pick, but if it's a 'Bethesda' rep, do you think they would go with something closer to home, like Fallout or Elderscrolls?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I think Doom Guy would be a great and nostalgic rep to pick, but if it's a 'Bethesda' rep, do you think they would go with something closer to home, like Fallout or Elderscrolls?
Fallout was originally by Interplay and Bethesda bought the franchise off of them. Elder Scrolls actually is made purely by Bethesda.

doomguywhen1993

Smash Apprentice
ZeniMax bought id in 2009.
Meanwhile, i thought about assist trophies for Doom and there's quite some interesting enemies to make use for.
I thought the Archvile would be an interesting one, even if he could have been OP.
* He'd be able to "revive" some fighters, like maybe bringing back a lost life/stock or even outright revive a defeated fighter.
* He could do the explosive flaming ability he does in the classic Doom 2, which could be prevented by having a fighter hit him while he's just standing and doing said attack.
* Speaking of his annoying attack, there could be some radius thing where he needs to get a bit closer to a fighter just so he can use the flame attack, which means he'd be trying to chase his targets.
* He could run fast like in the original.
No matter what design he uses, he should still have the classic sounds and the sprites for the flames.
Then you got the case with other enemies.
* Revenants have homing rockets, jet pecks, stream of missiles and punches.
* Mancubi can shoot two fireballs at once and use flamethrowers.
* Arachnotrons could maybe climb around platforms and shoot a lot of plasma balls, i guess.
* Pain Elementals would be there to spawn Lost Souls, whether or not those would blow up.
* Cacodemons could have the tongue attack from 2016's multiplayer.
* And i guess former humans, imps and pinkies/specters are a bit more simple, they'd work better in hordes.
* Hellknights and Barons are more evolved imps, with HK being melee now and Barons having both strong melee and strong projectiles.
* These two can also jump and slam the ground.

Last edited:

Ryuvain

Lord of Revenge
ZeniMax bought id in 2009.
Meanwhile, i thought about assist trophies for Doom and there's quite some interesting enemies to make use for.
I thought the Archvile would be an interesting one, even if he could have been OP.
* He'd be able to "revive" some fighters, like maybe bringing back a lost life/stock or even outright revive a defeated fighter.
* He could do the explosive flaming ability he does in the classic Doom 2, which could be prevented by having a fighter hit him while he's just standing and doing said attack.
* Speaking of his annoying attack, there could be some radius thing where he needs to get a bit closer to a fighter just so he can use the flame attack, which means he'd be trying to chase his targets.
* He could run fast like in the original.
No matter what design he uses, he should still have the classic sounds and the sprites for the flames.
Then you got the case with other enemies.
* Revenants have homing rockets, jet pecks, stream of missiles and punches.
* Mancubi can shoot two fireballs at once and use flamethrowers.
* Arachnotrons could maybe climb around platforms and shoot a lot of plasma balls, i guess.
* Pain Elementals would be there to spawn Lost Souls, whether or not those would blow up.
* Cacodemons could have the tongue attack from 2016's multiplayer.
* And i guess former humans, imps and pinkies/specters are a bit more simple, they'd work better in hordes.
* Hellknights and Barons are more evolved imps, with HK being melee now and Barons having both strong melee and strong projectiles.
* These two can also jump and slam the ground.
That just sounds crazy fun. If they add assist trophies to dlc it would make the released even better.

Holphino

Smash Apprentice
ID Software created the original Doom, Doom 2, Doom 3, and Doom(2016), they also worked with Midway on Doom 64. Bethesda published Doom(2016) and will most likely be publishing Doom Eternal, but both those games are/were made by ID. I just made a mistake in saying that Bethesda wouldn't have a say in whether or not Doomguy would be in smash, when they probably definitely would. I hope that wasn't to confusing of an explanation, sorry if it was.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
John Romero went on Hbomberguy's DK 64 charity stream in support of transgender people, and said "Trans rights" on stream.

This means Doomguy is a trans ally, another point in his favor regarding his potential as a Smash newcomer.

Also I thought it would be cool to see Doomguy in Smash for a while, but only from a distance since I hadn't played any Doom games. Once I work out the kinks with the custom PC I built I'll play the first Doom on it sometime, though. So count me in as a supporter.

GrantVsZombies

Smash Rookie
NNID
GrantVsZombies
Switch FC
4191-5519-7802
Created an account just so I could comment on this thread. Doomguy is easy my most wanted newcomer for Smash, asides maybe Banjo/Kazooie and James Bond (but those ships sailed nearly twenty years ago). The FPS genre has become arguably the largest genre in the modern gaming world, and the fact that it isn't represented in Smash is just super weird. The absolute best person to represent it is the person who pretty much invented it - Doomguy. He has history with Nintendo, he's a relevant character in the modern world, he's awesome and has a huge fanbase, quite literally no reason to not include him. I'm honestly hoping the DLC leak with him in it is real, mostly for him, but also because the other characters in it are pretty good by my standards.

Two ideas I had:

1. Have a Snake's Codec/Palutena's Guidance-esque thing with Doomguy on his home stage, which would probably be the UAC Mars Facility or somewhere in Hell. (Kadingir Sanctum would be cool) Have Samuel Hayden say something about the character with which you're currently fighting. Hearing him talk about Kirby would be great.

2. In the reveal trailer, at the end where it says "SUPER SMASH BROS. ULTIMATE X DOOM," have it say "MEETS ITS" instead of "X". That way the whole thing reads "SUPER SMASH BROS. ULTIMATE MEETS ITS DOOM".

I have a bunch of other ideas which I'll probably post later. Just wanted to say that I massively support this.

Holphino

Smash Apprentice
Created an account just so I could comment on this thread. Doomguy is easy my most wanted newcomer for Smash, asides maybe Banjo/Kazooie and James Bond (but those ships sailed nearly twenty years ago). The FPS genre has become arguably the largest genre in the modern gaming world, and the fact that it isn't represented in Smash is just super weird. The absolute best person to represent it is the person who pretty much invented it - Doomguy. He has history with Nintendo, he's a relevant character in the modern world, he's awesome and has a huge fanbase, quite literally no reason to not include him. I'm honestly hoping the DLC leak with him in it is real, mostly for him, but also because the other characters in it are pretty good by my standards.

Two ideas I had:

1. Have a Snake's Codec/Palutena's Guidance-esque thing with Doomguy on his home stage, which would probably be the UAC Mars Facility or somewhere in Hell. (Kadingir Sanctum would be cool) Have Samuel Hayden say something about the character with which you're currently fighting. Hearing him talk about Kirby would be great.

2. In the reveal trailer, at the end where it says "SUPER SMASH BROS. ULTIMATE X DOOM," have it say "MEETS ITS" instead of "X". That way the whole thing reads "SUPER SMASH BROS. ULTIMATE MEETS ITS DOOM".

I have a bunch of other ideas which I'll probably post later. Just wanted to say that I massively support this.
The Samuel Hayden codec idea is really cool. I'd love that, which sucks since Nintendo probably won't end up using that idea, since they didn't bother making more codecs for Snake, or updating the old ones. They just ported them from Brawl, so they probably won't do anything like that. Though it would be interesting to see what Palutena could say about Doomguy.

Last edited:

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman

Two ideas I had:

The Samuel Hayden codec idea is really cool. I'd love that, just sucks since Nintendo probably won't end up using it, since they didn't bother making more codecs for Snake, or updating the old ones. They just ported them from Brawl, so they probably won't do anything like that. Though it will be interesting to see what Palutena says about Doomguy.
Speaking of which... Moveset to the rescue!!!:

Snake Codec:
  • Snake: Otacon, I've got a large man wearing what looks like compromised power armour. Do we know who he is?
  • Samuel Hayden: That would be the Doom Slayer. I would advise you to vacate the area immediately, unless you wish to suffer a messy demise.
  • S: (Grumbles) I'm starting to second-guess as to whether our "encrypted" channel is actually encrypted or not. Anyways, who are you and what makes this "Doom Slayer" any different from any other green space marine?
  • H: I am Doctor Samuel Hayden, Chairman of the Union Aerospace Corporation and the one responsible for the discovery of the Doom Marine. While our own research on him is limited at best, we do know that he has been fighting a rage-fuelled, one-man war against the forces of Hell for centuries.
  • S: Centuries? It's almost as if you're saying that this Slayer-guy is too angry to die…
  • H: In a sense, yes. Our observations have shown that the Doom Slayer moves at high speeds at all times, possesses unparalleled strength and a seemingly innate proficiency at using any weapon he can get his hands on, with guns being a particular favourite of his.
  • S: An affinity towards firearms. Admirable, though they look nothing like what I've used before.
  • H: Most of his arsenal consists of... "borrowed" UAC equipment and demonic artefacts. However, the double-barrelled shotgun he carries appears to be a more personal possession.
  • S: Not that it matters. Those inscriptions on the barrel don't provide any tactical advantage… though that large grappling-hook-blade attachment might.
  • H: If you're still planning to engage the Doom Slayer (not that you have any chance of winning), I would advise you to strike him from long range and only when he lets his guard down; most of his arsenal is only effective from short to medium range, while his agility and lethality compensate for a surprisingly lacking durability. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to attend to… dispelling rumours about a "demon incursion".
  • S: Thanks for the pointers. Wait, did you say something about a demon invasion?
  • H: (Intercom in background warns "Demonic presence at unsafe levels. Lockdown in effect.") As I said; dispelling rumours.
Palutena's Guidance (regular):
  • Pit: (visibly perturbed) Uhh… when did Samus become a man all of a sudden?
  • Viridi: That isn't Samus, you dope! That is the Doom Slayer!
  • Pt: Doom Slayer? Now that's the least friendly-sounding name I've heard in a while.
  • Palutena: You've got nothing to worry about, Pit. Despite his fearsome looks, the Doom Slayer is quite cooperative - unless you're a demon or happen to be working for one.
  • V: And he's very efficient at that, especially since he's been fighting demons for hundreds of years. I'd almost go as far as to say that he'd serve as the perfect replacement for you, Pit.
  • Pt: … (scoffs) As if... (gulps) Okay, I'll be honest; I'm not feeling too confident about fighting him.
  • V: *Gasp!* Is poor little Pit finally admitting defeat? Time to hang up your wings; Palutena has just found her new bodyguard captain (chuckles).
  • Pt: NO WAY! It's just that… those guns of his look like they could tear anything to pieces! And he doesn't look all that weighed down by that heavy armour he's wearing.
  • Pl: That's correct, Pit. The Doom Slayer's firearms all deal heavy amounts of damage, while his high mobility allows him to keep the pressure up on his opponents.
  • V: And if he grabs you when your damage is high enough, he'll perform a "Glory Kill" on you, which is a guaranteed KO and even heals him up a bit.
  • Pt: Health recovery on KO? Sounds both awesome and illogical. Is there any way to beat this guy?
  • V: While his weapons may be deadly, they all run off of a limited ammo supply. If he runs dry, he'll be unable to use his special attacks and be forced to use a weak pistol with unlimited ammo for his regular attacks.
  • Pl: That gives you the perfect opportunity to strike. However, be careful when getting close; he might attempt to use his chainsaw on you to replenish his ammo.
  • Pt: Wha? How does that even work? On second thoughts, I'd rather not find out!
Palutena's Guidance (Doomguy Alt):
  • Pit: I think I've seen that fighter before. I just can't put a name to his face - or helmet for that matter.
  • Viridi: Funny you should mention that. He's had quite a few names over the years, though most people simply call him Doomguy.
  • Pt: Doomguy? You mean the berserker-packin' man and a half!? A 12.0 on the 10.0 scale of badness!? How did he even make it into Smash Bros.?!
  • Palutena: Many consider him to be the king of First Person Shooters. If anything, that would make him the perfect candidate as a representative of the genre.
  • V: Like how Ryu and Ken represent traditional fighting games!
  • Pt: But aren't his games supposed to be extremely violent?
  • Pl: As if to say every other fighter in this fighting tournament isn't violent to some degree?
  • Pt: Right… So what do I have to look out for with Doomguy?
  • Pl: Aside from being his most damaging methods of attack, Doomguy's heavier weapons also increase his mobility options. For example, he can use the recoil of his Railgun to extend the distance of his jumps.
  • V: I heard that he can do this thing where he fires his Rocket Launcher at his feet and uses the explosive force of the rocket to send him flying upwards. Apparently, they call it "Rocket Jumping".
  • Pt: Rocket Jumping? Sounds both fun and painful. I'll pass.
  • V: Y'know, despite being a filthy human and all, I think Doomguy would make an excellent addition to the forces of nature.
  • Pt: Am I dreaming?! That has to be the last thing I'd expect you to say. But I don't think you'll have much luck; Doomguy always struck me as a "Lone Wolf" kinda guy.
  • V: Hey! I'll have you know that he understands the repercussions if we can't find a way to safely dispose of nuclear waste. I mean, what kind of planet will we be leaving to our children? And our children's children?
  • Pl: I think I'm going to have to agree with Pit on this one. Doomguy doesn't take kindly to authority figures, especially after what happened to his last commanding officer…

Holphino

Smash Apprentice
Speaking of which... Moveset to the rescue!!!:

Snake Codec:
  • Snake: Otacon, I've got a large man wearing what looks like compromised power armour. Do we know who he is?
  • Samuel Hayden: That would be the Doom Slayer. I would advise you to vacate the area immediately, unless you wish to suffer a messy demise.
  • S: (Grumbles) I'm starting to second-guess as to whether our "encrypted" channel is actually encrypted or not. Anyways, who are you and what makes this "Doom Slayer" any different from any other green space marine?
  • H: I am Doctor Samuel Hayden, Chairman of the Union Aerospace Corporation and the one responsible for the discovery of the Doom Marine. While our own research on him is limited at best, we do know that he has been fighting a rage-fuelled, one-man war against the forces of Hell for centuries.
  • S: Centuries? It's almost as if you're saying that this Slayer-guy is too angry to die…
  • H: In a sense, yes. Our observations have shown that the Doom Slayer moves at high speeds at all times, possesses unparalleled strength and a seemingly innate proficiency at using any weapon he can get his hands on, with guns being a particular favourite of his.
  • S: An affinity towards firearms. Admirable, though they look nothing like what I've used before.
  • H: Most of his arsenal consists of... "borrowed" UAC equipment and demonic artefacts. However, the double-barrelled shotgun he carries appears to be a more personal possession.
  • S: Not that it matters. Those inscriptions on the barrel don't provide any tactical advantage… though that large grappling-hook-blade attachment might.
  • H: If you're still planning to engage the Doom Slayer (not that you have any chance of winning), I would advise you to strike him from long range and only when he lets his guard down; most of his arsenal is only effective from short to medium range, while his agility and lethality compensate for a surprisingly lacking durability. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to attend to… dispelling rumours about a "demon incursion".
  • S: Thanks for the pointers. Wait, did you say something about a demon invasion?
  • H: (Intercom in background warns "Demonic presence at unsafe levels. Lockdown in effect.") As I said; dispelling rumours.
Palutena's Guidance (regular):
  • Pit: (visibly perturbed) Uhh… when did Samus become a man all of a sudden?
  • Viridi: That isn't Samus, you dope! That is the Doom Slayer!
  • Pt: Doom Slayer? Now that's the least friendly-sounding name I've heard in a while.
  • Palutena: You've got nothing to worry about, Pit. Despite his fearsome looks, the Doom Slayer is quite cooperative - unless you're a demon or happen to be working for one.
  • V: And he's very efficient at that, especially since he's been fighting demons for hundreds of years. I'd almost go as far as to say that he'd serve as the perfect replacement for you, Pit.
  • Pt: … (scoffs) As if... (gulps) Okay, I'll be honest; I'm not feeling too confident about fighting him.
  • V: *Gasp!* Is poor little Pit finally admitting defeat? Time to hang up your wings; Palutena has just found her new bodyguard captain (chuckles).
  • Pt: NO WAY! It's just that… those guns of his look like they could tear anything to pieces! And he doesn't look all that weighed down by that heavy armour he's wearing.
  • Pl: That's correct, Pit. The Doom Slayer's firearms all deal heavy amounts of damage, while his high mobility allows him to keep the pressure up on his opponents.
  • V: And if he grabs you when your damage is high enough, he'll perform a "Glory Kill" on you, which is a guaranteed KO and even heals him up a bit.
  • Pt: Health recovery on KO? Sounds both awesome and illogical. Is there any way to beat this guy?
  • V: While his weapons may be deadly, they all run off of a limited ammo supply. If he runs dry, he'll be unable to use his special attacks and be forced to use a weak pistol with unlimited ammo for his regular attacks.
  • Pl: That gives you the perfect opportunity to strike. However, be careful when getting close; he might attempt to use his chainsaw on you to replenish his ammo.
  • Pt: Wha? How does that even work? On second thoughts, I'd rather not find out!
Palutena's Guidance (Doomguy Alt):
  • Pit: I think I've seen that fighter before. I just can't put a name to his face - or helmet for that matter.
  • Viridi: Funny you should mention that. He's had quite a few names over the years, though most people simply call him Doomguy.
  • Pt: Doomguy? You mean the berserker-packin' man and a half!? A 12.0 on the 10.0 scale of badness!? How did he even make it into Smash Bros.?!
  • Palutena: Many consider him to be the king of First Person Shooters. If anything, that would make him the perfect candidate as a representative of the genre.
  • V: Like how Ryu and Ken represent traditional fighting games!
  • Pt: But aren't his games supposed to be extremely violent?
  • Pl: As if to say every other fighter in this fighting tournament isn't violent to some degree?
  • Pt: Right… So what do I have to look out for with Doomguy?
  • Pl: Aside from being his most damaging methods of attack, Doomguy's heavier weapons also increase his mobility options. For example, he can use the recoil of his Railgun to extend the distance of his jumps.
  • V: I heard that he can do this thing where he fires his Rocket Launcher at his feet and uses the explosive force of the rocket to send him flying upwards. Apparently, they call it "Rocket Jumping".
  • Pt: Rocket Jumping? Sounds both fun and painful. I'll pass.
  • V: Y'know, despite being a filthy human and all, I think Doomguy would make an excellent addition to the forces of nature.
  • Pt: Am I dreaming?! That has to be the last thing I'd expect you to say. But I don't think you'll have much luck; Doomguy always struck me as a "Lone Wolf" kinda guy.
  • V: Hey! I'll have you know that he understands the repercussions if we can't find a way to safely dispose of nuclear waste. I mean, what kind of planet will we be leaving to our children? And our children's children?
  • Pl: I think I'm going to have to agree with Pit on this one. Doomguy doesn't take kindly to authority figures, especially after what happened to his last commanding officer…
I really like your ideas of there being a limited ammo supply, and the glory kills actually being a feature. I hope those ideas get implemented if Doomguy does get in.

doomguywhen1993

Smash Apprentice
A funny idea for Snake's Codec talk on Doomguy could be Otacon mentioning porting Doom to the Codec system and maybe something to do with the VR missions too.

Ryuvain

Lord of Revenge
Just had a random thought about his potential moveset.

To differentiate him from other zoners what if he focused on softening them up at range with projectiles first and then switching to rush in close with powerful grabs?

For example, use shotgun, pistol, plasma, and chaingun attacks at range to build damage.

Supershotgun (double barrel) could be a falcon punch like move where it's devastating but has huge lag.

Rockets launcher does good damage but it's slow and somewhat laggy.

His kill moves would be supershotgun, rockets, and his grabs. His grabs would be very damaging and show him beating his target like modern Doom.

Final smash would be his Bfg of course, but that's not all. A Cyberdemon would erupt from the ground and stomps the floor while Doomguy whips out the Bfg, blowing up the monster and nearby opponents.

His weakness would be recovery most likely. He's not known to jump much in his origins but his recovery would be a rocket jump.

Just a lot of ideas I had to put down before I forget.

Last edited:

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman

To differentiate him from other zoners what if he focused on softening them up at range with projectiles first and then switching to rush in close with powerful grabs?

For example, use shotgun, pistol, plasma, and chaingun attacks at range to build damage.

Supershotgun (double barrel) could be a falcon punch like move where it's devastating but has huge lag.

His kill moves would be supershotgun, rockets, and his grabs. His grabs would be very damaging and show him beating his target like modern Doom.

Final smash would be his Bfg of course, but that's not all. A Cyberdemon would erupt from the ground and stomps the floor while Doomguy whips out the Bfg, blowing up the monster and nearby opponents.

His weakness would be recovery most likely. He's not known to jump much in his origins but his recovery would be a rocket jump.

Don't forget the chainsaw, shoulder launcher, and meathook. Eternal Doomslayer has too much moveset potential IMO to not be used as a starting point, not to mention if he DOES make it into this DLC cycle it'll most likely be promoting Eternal, which is supposed to come out this year as well.

Deff agree with you though about how overall he should work. Also, really like your idea for the Cyberdemon featuring in his FS. I was thinking a crucible attack into a bfg shot, but that's even better, and would allow them to make the AT a revenant.

Oooor... actually, Idea: What if the AT is a spawn cube, which would be like a pokeball, but with demons (minus the boss demons like the cyberdemon and mastermind). The cube spins up into the air and spawns in a random demon, maybe a Caco, or a Revenant, or a lowly Imp, or god forbid, an Archvile....

Would probably be more work than they'd want to do, but damn if it wouldn't be a great way to showcase the series iconic monsters. They could even include the old school, sprite based ones too.

Last edited:

Ryuvain

Lord of Revenge
Don't forget the chainsaw, shoulder launcher, and meathook. Eternal Doomslayer has too much moveset potential IMO to not be used as a starting point, not to mention if he DOES make it into this DLC cycle it'll most likely be promoting Eternal, which is supposed to come out this year as well.

Deff agree with you though about how overall he should work. Also, really like your idea for the Cyberdemon featuring in his FS. I was thinking a crucible attack into a bfg shot, but that's even better, and would allow them to make the AT a revenant.

Oooor... actually, Idea: What if the AT is a spawn cube, which would be like a pokeball, but with demons (minus the boss demons like the cyberdemon and mastermind). The cube spins up into the air and spawns in a random demon, maybe a Caco, or a Revenant, or a lowly Imp, or god forbid, an Archvile....

Would probably be more work than they'd want to do, but damn if it wouldn't be a great way to showcase the series iconic monsters. They could even include the old school, sprite based ones too.
Completely forgot about chainsaw lol. Could be used as a rush attack?

The meat hook could also be a rush attack or a tether grab too.

Seeing Doom assists in sprites would give me that nostalgia feel, also would be classic.

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
I really like your ideas of there being a limited ammo supply, and the glory kills actually being a feature. I hope those ideas get implemented if Doomguy does get in.

Well, since you guys haven't seen the full moveset yet: https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/a49tic/the_doom_slayer_rips_tears_into_battle_moveset/

ryuu seika

Smash Master
So high hitstun and damage on the projectiles but low knockback? Shotgun that hits at range but does far more of everything close up?
I like that starting point but can we highlight Eternal's new content with a tether UpB? It would require precise aiming to grab a ledge and make for an easily gimpable recovery, especially on some stages, but it would also improve his all important grab game. However, to further reflect Eternal and prevent this from essentiall removing his need to approach, I suggest two changes compared to other tether grabs:
1) Doomslayer moves to his opponent, not the other way around. This allows him to get offstage grabs but, in doing so, he will lose all recovery but his aerial jump. A SERIOUS downside.
2) While Doomslayer is not able to throw an opponent before his hand is upon them, his opponent may start to attempt a breakout the moment that the tether connects. This makes his grab considerably less effective the further away that he is, as well as potentially allowing for some serious offstage grab punishes, should he go for that risky play.

Oh, and the chainsaw? Massive shield damage.
Well signposted, since he has to swap weapons and rev it up, but requires you to either time a dodge or simply not be there to deal with it. Nothing else is safe.

Last edited:

Ryuvain

Lord of Revenge
So high hitstun and damage on the projectiles but low knockback? Shotgun that hits at range but does far more of everything close up?
I like that starting point but can we highlight Eternal's new content with a tether UpB? It would require precise aiming to grab a ledge and make for an easily gimpable recovery, especially on some stages, but it would also improve his all important grab game. However, to further reflect Eternal and prevent this from essentiall removing his need to approach, I suggest two changes compared to other tether grabs:
1) Doomslayer moves to his opponent, not the other way around. This allows him to get offstage grabs but, in doing so, he will lose all recovery but his aerial jump. A SERIOUS downside.
2) While Doomslayer is not able to throw an opponent before his hand is upon them, his opponent may start to attempt a breakout the moment that the tether connects. This makes his grab considerably less effective the further away that he is, as well as potentially allowing for some serious offstage grab punishes, should he go for that risky play.

Oh, and the chainsaw? Massive shield damage.
Well signposted, since he has to swap weapons and rev it up, but requires you to either time a dodge or simply not be there to deal with it. Nothing else is safe.
Well, it wasn't final as it was just a bunch of ideas I thought of and posted immediately. Wasn't sure about adding a lot of Eternal content since Sakurai seems fond of character origins instead. Eternal is kind of a reboot though isn't it?

GrantVsZombies

Smash Rookie
NNID
GrantVsZombies
Switch FC
4191-5519-7802
Not relevant to Doomguy as a character, but since Bethesda would be involved in his inclusion in Smash, it would be hilarious if Todd Howard made an appearance in the Direct that reveals him. Just having him say how happy they are that one of their properties made it into Smash would be enough to make the chat go insane, but having him stand right next to Sakurai would be the best. Just seeing people's reactions to that would make it a good Direct.

I know it almost definitely wouldn't happen, but it would be very funny.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Well, it wasn't final as it was just a bunch of ideas I thought of and posted immediately. Wasn't sure about adding a lot of Eternal content since Sakurai seems fond of character origins instead. Eternal is kind of a reboot though isn't it?
From what I understand, the 2016 Doom was the reboot and Eternal is its sequel. Either way, though, we've seen significant changes to characters like Link to reflect more modern titles so I don't see why a special reflecting current Doom couldn't exist, even if the majority of the character might be made to represent his origins more. I think that that would be a good balance, if anything.

doomguywhen1993

Smash Apprentice
I said this before and it's that Doom's representation works better if it's a blatant mix of different iterations of Doom (Mainly classic and reboot, with 64 and 3 coming along and something like Final Doom or even RPG having bits there)
* Eternal can be represented before it's out, since Brawl had MGS4 stuff before that game was out.
* Solid Snake, for example is pretty much both Solid and Big Boss in Smash so he's an example of how mixing stuff up can work.
* I know a lot of Doom fans would like this idea, considering the amount of mods and fan projects that mix Doom games.
* It could help to make Doom more interesting since these iterations of the series have neat stuff to add like how later games increase Doomguy's moveset potential and universe but a stage could benefit for having classic Doom textures (Specially since classic Doom Hell and Phobos have some more interesting and colorfull stuff) and you could probably do a lot more with classic OST in case Mick Gordon's tracks aren't enough (They're not bad, but they do have their own limitations).
* Mixing up the games wouldn't be just interesting but also important and needed, if the Eternal SSG isn't that realistic for example.
I'm glad Eternal brings back old school Doom designs because a lot of them already made Doom interesting, like the power ups having scary demonic faces or human souls inside them.
Like really, Doom as a series could be fun for crossover stuff due to the material it has and its nature.
Also, that spawn cube AT/Pokeball idea sounds fun.
Makes me wish for the Icon of Sin to show up in a stage spawning monsters but that would be too good and inappropriate.

Also i was thinking about the ammo system (Which could justify Doomguy being able to shoot a lot of projectiles) and how it could be executed.
* There's the consideration of which ammo type weapons use, like how the Plasma rifle and Gauss cannon shared cell ammo.
* How something like shells is technically "realistic".
* And how the player could be aware of his ammo amount, considering the classic Doom HUD showed you all ammo types and their amounts and not just the ammo of your current weapon.
I thought if the ammo for Doomguy could have been "universal" and the pick ups (If there are pick ups) being ammo backpacks (Either the classic backpacks whose design are also used in Quake 1 or those modern UAC backpacks that show up in Quake Champions and are real Doom merchandise).

Glowsquid

Smash Journeyman
Vital matter to ponder: If Doomguy got in Smash, do you think they'd, like, reference the Doom comic anywhere? ("The Night Train" or "The Great Communicator" would be good boxing ring titles imo)

Last edited:

Holphino

Smash Apprentice
Vital matter to ponder: If Doomguy got in Smash, do you think they'd, like, reference the Doom comic anywhere? ("The Night Train" or "The Great Communicator" would be good boxing ring titles imo)
I'd love that, since I like those comics, but I don't think that they would. Since they would probably be focusing on representing his games in a way that makes sense for smash(like them deciding what to take from what game and which game do they represent the most).

Last edited:
Top Bottom