• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

At Smash's Gate - The Doom Marine/Doomguy/Doom Slayer Thread

jokermelee

Smash Apprentice
So, how are people feeling about the leak in this part of the Smash forum?
i feel it's somewhat legitimate, and to tie it back to Doomguy, all of these characters being in Base roster and not being DLC greatly improves Doomguys chances at being selected for DLC this time around

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I don't trust the banner leak but I can't see that new marble as anything but Golden Sun so I'm betting on Isaac all the same.
Doom Slayer I don't legitimately expect but I think he deserves it. More than Mach Rider, Geno or anyone else that obscure.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I don't trust the banner leak but I can't see that new marble as anything but Golden Sun so I'm betting on Isaac all the same.
Doom Slayer I don't legitimately expect but I think he deserves it. More than Mach Rider, Geno or anyone else that obscure.
Well Mach Rider was preciously considered and Geno is the last great popular character of the Brawl days, so I think they deserve it.

I am neutral on this whole thing. I have been watching it unfold on multiple threads with very different views and focusses. I am fine with all the character, but I feel bad for Sakurai and the team if this is true.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I am not fine with the characters revealed. The closest to a want for me is Isaac and that's more of a "I think he'd play well" than an "I like him as a character". I don't want to believe it and the fact that they're all such predictable picks feels wrong for Smash anyway.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I'd love for grinch leak to be true. So many great choices, and it would trim the competition for Doomguy as DLC!
I agree, the roster the leak shows is the stuff dreams are made out of. And yeah, it would certainly trim competition a bit, especially if B&K's inclusion makes it more difficult for other Xbox based characters to get in for a while, though that seems unlikely.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Wait, BK was in there? I guess I misremembered the lineup, which makes me a little more ok with it.
Still, I've not been wowed by any of the previous reveals this game and I'd like to believe that there's more than one shockingly good addition in store.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Wait, BK was in there? I guess I misremembered the lineup, which makes me a little more ok with it.
Still, I've not been wowed by any of the previous reveals this game and I'd like to believe that there's more than one shockingly good addition in store.
Just in case there is confusion, I am referring to Banjo & Kazooie. Also why are you determining the quality of the roster based on shock value?

NukeA6

Smash Master
So, how are people feeling about the leak in this part of the Smash forum?
I'm on the fence with it currently as it has the most likely roster I've seen for it but of course, it could be a whole Grinch act. I already know at least one of those characters are gonna be in the game. I'll be slightly disappointed for no Mach Rider but it at least silenced that stupid Kencineroar crap which I am grateful for.

As for the Doom Guy, I already know his chance is DLC but that's fine. The Bethesda alliance mostly happened after the roster was finalized. It's not over for the space marine.

chemo

Smash Apprentice
I've said something similar before but on the bright side, if Doomguy isn't in the base game it's more likely that he would have moves from DOOM Eternal if he were to be added as DLC.

I mean c'mon, a Smash character that wields a double-barrel with a grappling hook attached would be metal.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I will say, even if this leak is fake, it's certainly given me some new perspective on these characters, especially Mach Rider. I learned quite a bit from all of this.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Since Goblin Slayer was brought up,

A08D76E5-84F0-4D8F-ACDF-7EB8A2D80197.jpeg

Okay, but here’s the real kicker.

As for the leaks, well... Doomguy was a long shot for the base game anyway. DLC support it is, worst case scenario.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

View attachment 173763

As for the leaks, well... Doomguy was a long shot for the base game anyway. DLC support it is, worst case scenario.
Wow, really?! Okay, they knew exactly what they were doing with that choice in voice actor.

Doomguy was never gonna make base game. Doom 2016 was after the Smash Ballot, so it was not gonna happen. Come DLC, Doomguy's chances are gonna skyrocket and I have little doubt that he will become one of the bigger requests.

NukeA6

Smash Master

View attachment 173763

Maybe I'll check out that Goblin Slayer anime.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Controversial Hot take time.

While I would have no complaints of Doomguy being in Smash. I can't help but feel that he'd fit in 1000x better in a new Mortal Kombat instead.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Controversial Hot take time.

While I would have no complaints of Doomguy being in Smash. I can't help but feel that he'd fit in 1000x better in a new Mortal Kombat instead.
That makes sense, he definitely would fit in better there than Smash, tone wise. But I would also argue he fits in Smash in a different way, as apart of its celebration of gaming and recognition of how the likes of Doom Slayer have affected the gaming industry. In the end, I feel like Doom Slayer would be a lot more appreciated in Smash.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Mortal Kombat’s one of my favorite series too, but as of the last game I feel it’s had 3rd party guests, when it goes as far as them being there at the expense of characters from earlier games fans wanted back but didn’t get, though guests make most of the DLC money, so they won’t be going anywhere...

Ignoring that MK already had Leatherface, I’d prefer Ash from Evil Dead as a chainsaw + shotgun user there, even though Doomguy could make that kind of moveset work too, but he would be more appreciated in Smash amongst other gaming all-stars than he would at being hyped by MK fans. There’s no denying that much.

That reminds me, I did fancy the idea of Scorpion (with maybe Sub-Zero as an echo) in Smash as a Western 3rd party, but he’s got no real shot like Doomguy due to modern MK’s lack of presence in Japan and such.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Mortal Kombat’s one of my favorite series too, but as of the last game I feel it’s had 3rd party guests, when it goes as far as them being there at the expense of characters from earlier games fans wanted back but didn’t get, though guests make most of the DLC money, so they won’t be going anywhere...

Ignoring that MK already had Leatherface, I’d prefer Ash from Evil Dead as a chainsaw + shotgun user there, even though Doomguy could make that kind of moveset work too, but he would be more appreciated in Smash amongst other gaming all-stars than he would at being hyped by MK fans. There’s no denying that much.

That reminds me, I did fancy the idea of Scorpion (with maybe Sub-Zero as an echo) in Smash as a Western 3rd party, but he’s got no real shot like Doomguy due to modern MK’s lack of presence in Japan and such.
Third party guests do work well for drawing people in. I don't know much about Mortal Kombat (played the first three games on the Super NES as a kid, though I wasn't very good at them), but I got Mortal Kombat X on Steam because Jason, a Xenomorph, and the Predator were playable.

Ash would have been a great fit for the game, though I feel like they'd have to get Bruce Campbell's voice and likeness; it wouldn't be the same otherwise.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Third party guests do work well for drawing people in. I don't know much about Mortal Kombat (played the first three games on the Super NES as a kid, though I wasn't very good at them), but I got Mortal Kombat X on Steam because Jason, a Xenomorph, and the Predator were playable.

Ash would have been a great fit for the game, though I feel like they'd have to get Bruce Campbell's voice and likeness; it wouldn't be the same otherwise.
Fair enough. Smash doesn't have the problem of too many 3rd parties/guests over 1st parties/veterans like I feel MK kinda does now, but it's a personal preference thing. I'm not alone there though, as too many guests was a common criticism for MKX, and don't get me wrong; I enjoyed Jason, Predator, and Alien respectively (especially Alien), but felt I had to draw the line at Leatherface being included who almost no one asked for (while there were plenty MK characters fans wanted back but didn't get), though didn't help that his moveset wasn't interesting for me, and Ash would have been much more so as pointed out. Same with Doomguy, but he'd be more appreciated for Smash as also mentioned...

I feel the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in Injustice 2 was probably the most surreal 3rd party addition that brought people in to one of Netherrealm's games, but point taken still.

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
Oh yes I want Ash Williams in MK11. I don't see why they couldn't get Bruce to voice him, and make him a slightly stylized version of AoD Ash/Bruce. Him going "Yo she-*****, let's go." to Mileena is something I need to see happen.

And so yeah, to bring it back to Doom, he would kinda crossover a lot with Doomguy, so I'd rather have Ash in MK than Doomguy. I NEED Ash vs Alien or Predator...
Plus the more exclusive Doomguy in a fighting game context is to Smash the better probably.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
So who’s all ready to start getting active in here for DLC? With the fact that the DLC characters seem to have been decided on, and how Bethesda has talked to Nintendo about Smash, I’m willing to bet Doomguy and/or Dragonborn are one of the DLC characters

Room100

Smash Apprentice
So who’s all ready to start getting active in here for DLC? With the fact that the DLC characters seem to have been decided on, and how Bethesda has talked to Nintendo about Smash, I’m willing to bet Doomguy and/or Dragonborn are one of the DLC characters
Was just coming over here to say our man has survived another day! I think it depends who Nintendo/Sakurai worked more with, Bethesda or Id. Bethesda might rather push something Elder Scrolls or Diablo-related despite Doomguy being more iconic to gaming. Let's keep the noise up though!

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Was just coming over here to say our man has survived another day! I think it depends who Nintendo/Sakurai worked more with, Bethesda or Id. Bethesda might rather push something Elder Scrolls or Diablo-related despite Doomguy being more iconic to gaming. Let's keep the noise up though!
It’s Sakurai’s call, and considering he considers John Carmack the father of FPS, Doom would definitely be on his Radar. I think Doomguy would be a likely pick.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Yeah, it’s looking good for Doomguy so far. Here’s to hoping.

DerErlenkonig

Smash Cadet
Today was a huge bummer, but I still have hope for the Slayer.

The freaking Generic Piranha Plant proves Nintendo is the Chaotic Neutral of game companies, so who the hell knows what's in store for DLC. At the very least, Doom content was in no way deconfirmed, which is more than I can say for many ex-hopefuls.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I think Doom Slayers chances are looking rather bright after all of this, though I would have preferred if it was not a result of such devastation.
Today was a huge bummer, but I still have hope for the Slayer.

The freaking Generic Piranha Plant proves Nintendo is the Chaotic Neutral of game companies, so who the hell knows what's in store for DLC. At the very least, Doom content was in no way deconfirmed, which is more than I can say for many ex-hopefuls.
I would not say Nintendo is CN, just that Sakurai is on the more CG side(With CN tendencies). Piranha Plant looks very fun, and hey, no one can make fun of Bandanna Dee anymore. Plus, now Doom Slayer can use his chainsaw on actual plants!

NukeA6

Smash Master
I'd say Doom Slayer's chances are lower but don't even take my word for it. Just look how accurate my sig is. Yeah, that's why I don't gamble in real life.

Anyway, I do hope the Doom Guy makes it in especially if we're not getting Mach Rider.

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
Given that Smash started development before the reboot series was released, the implication that DLC was decided early sounds like it could work against Doomguy (if recency is a factor). I don't expect a second season of DLC either so from my perspective he doesn't look very likely. Nonetheless it doesn't hurt to drum up a bit of support for him just in case.

Room100

Smash Apprentice
Given that Smash started development before the reboot series was released, the implication that DLC was decided early sounds like it could work against Doomguy (if recency is a factor). I don't expect a second season of DLC either so from my perspective he doesn't look very likely. Nonetheless it doesn't hurt to drum up a bit of support for him just in case.
If I'm correct, the project plan was finalized around Nov. 2015. Assuming it in no way included DLC, then Doom Slayer might have been around at a great time for that consideration to start.

I'm also not sure this will be the only DLC season. If this one was largely pre-decided, then another season bringing some more recent considerations would be cool. And of course more profit.

Who knows though, this is purely me talking out of my ass.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
It all depends on when Nintendo and Bethesda were in talks for the Switch and when exactly they decided on DLC. Although I doubt DLC was chosen right off the bat in 2015, so it’s entirely possible for Doomguy to have been chosen post Switch-talks

I definitely think Doom Guy's and Dovakhin's chances are pretty high right now thanks to Bethesda visiting Nintendo to discuss Smash Brothers. They didn't get an assist trophy, trophies are gone so it wouldn't be for that.....what does that leave? Spirits? I don't think Bethesda would bother visiting Nintendo for that.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I definitely think Doom Guy's and Dovakhin's chances are pretty high right now thanks to Bethesda visiting Nintendo to discuss Smash Brothers. They didn't get an assist trophy, trophies are gone so it wouldn't be for that.....what does that leave? Spirits? I don't think Bethesda would bother visiting Nintendo for that.
Now I'm wondering: if some Spirits do get included with DLC, what Spirits would Doom Slayer bring with him and how would they work? Maybe the Cyberdemon Spirit would give super armor? Or the Cacodemon Spirit could increase aerial maneuverability? The possibilities could be endless!

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I see DoomGuy more as a Year Two Fighter; but he seems pretty likely nonetheless. Doom Guy and Crash would be pretty damn niceu

Last edited:

chemo

Smash Apprentice
I've been thinking what would make a good home stage for Doomguy, and as I was obsessing over the DE gameplay reveal (seriously, that game is my most anticipated by a long shot, and that's saying a lot considering all the games I'm looking forward towards, including Smash), I think I found a good fit;

Capturedegfb.PNG

The outside of this "flesh building" could make for a very fun and visually-distinctive Smash stage. Characters can fight between the two "levels", the jump pad could be used as an alternative way to get to the upper "level" and/or be used as a tool in combat, the lava pools surrounding the area could act as the blast line at the bottom portion of the stage, and the "inverse lava geysers" that float about, circling the level could act as level hazards that aren't too intrusive.

Yeah, the place looks a bit visceral, but I think that if they remove the blood but not the flesh itself, it could still be in the confines of an E10+ rating.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario

Is that a Gun I see? In Smash Bros? Oh the horror! Think of the Children!

Serialkillerwhale

Smash Cadet
Now I'm wondering: if some Spirits do get included with DLC, what Spirits would Doom Slayer bring with him and how would they work? Maybe the Cyberdemon Spirit would give super armor? Or the Cacodemon Spirit could increase aerial maneuverability? The possibilities could be endless!
Primary Spirit: Cyberdemon increases weight and knock resistance based on rage level.

Spider Mastermind: Increased power of ranged attacks pickups.

Samuel Hayden: Quad Damage powerups are attracted towards you.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
As a loser fan of the Doom 3 era I’d love to have Dr Betruger somewhere in the mix, who Olivia Pierce in Doom 2016 was pretty much based on, to be fair. Even better, his boss dragon form in Resurrection of Evil, but I’ll take Cyberdemon or whatever at the end of the day.

jokermelee

Smash Apprentice
so something new has popped up in Smash news that might concern Doomguys inclusion in DLC

firefox_2018-11-06_19-41-16.png

Nintendo was the one who chose the DLC selection this time around, it seems

i'm hoping Nintendo included 3rd Parties that support the Switch in their selection, but only time will tell

Top Bottom