• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

At Smash's Gate - The Doom Marine/Doomguy/Doom Slayer Thread

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
And still at the very least, relevant to the gaming industry. I've been wondering something; B.J from Wolfenstien could be an alt costume for Doomguy if possible, but that's just a silly guess.
BJ could be his own thing easily.
Throwing hatchets, the Power Suit and other upgrades in New Colossus, dual wielding.

His main issue is in regards to other Wolfenstein content though.

FantasticMr.StarPit

Smash Journeyman
BJ could be his own thing easily.
Throwing hatchets, the Power Suit and other upgrades in New Colossus, dual wielding.

His main issue is in regards to other Wolfenstein content though.
Yes, exactly what I was thinking of sadly. Maybe he'll be good enough as a trophy.

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
And still at the very least, relevant to the gaming industry. I've been wondering something; B.J from Wolfenstien could be an alt costume for Doomguy if possible, but that's just a silly guess.
Considering their modern counterparts, it would be a stretch to do that. It would be a nice nod to the older continuity, were it to happen. I prefer B.J Blazkowicz and the Doom Slayer separate, though I like both as Smash potentials.

FantasticMr.StarPit

Smash Journeyman
Considering their modern counterparts, it would be a stretch to do that. It would be a nice nod to the older continuity, were it to happen. I prefer B.J Blazkowicz and the Doom Slayer separate, though I like both as Smash potentials.
I can see where you're going at, but as I said before, B.J. as a Smash potential character is slim to none when it comes to his content, which is far too touchy on Nintendo's standards. But then again, you have Bayonetta in Smash even though her game is adult-heavy, even had promotion from Playboy for Bayonetta 2. But I'm getting off topic. lol

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
There's a huge difference between Bayonetta's erotic, violent side and the fact that most of the other Wolfenstein content involves Nazis and has a lot of their symbolism around.

FantasticMr.StarPit

Smash Journeyman
There's a huge difference between Bayonetta's erotic, violent side and the fact that most of the other Wolfenstein content involves Nazis and has a lot of their symbolism around.
Yeah...kinda of the reason why B.J.'s chances in Smash is very slim.

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
Speaking of continuity, should the Doom Slayer come with just the Doom (2016) design or should the older games get costumes to come with the Doom Slayer? I think it would be a good nod to the history of the Doom franchise were the Doom Slayer get the older designs like the currently in development and early access Quake Champions seems to be doing.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Older costumes should absolutely be options if they can change the colour enough to differentiate between them

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Speaking of continuity, should the Doom Slayer come with just the Doom (2016) design or should the older games get costumes to come with the Doom Slayer? I think it would be a good nod to the history of the Doom franchise were the Doom Slayer get the older designs like the currently in development and early access Quake Champions seems to be doing.
I could see it happening, though they'd probably just go with one alternate costume, like what Cloud and Bayonetta got. Maybe the classic Doomguy (the one on the far right), since it looks pretty different compared to the 2016 one.

D

Deleted member

Never played any of the Doom games and probably never will. Have no personal attachment whatsoever to Doomguy/Doom Slayer. Know very little about what potential weapons he's got that can be used for Smash.

Yet for some reason I can't explain, the idea of him in Smash is growing on me.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Never played any of the Doom games and probably never will. Have no personal attachment whatsoever to Doomguy/Doom Slayer. Know very little about what potential weapons he's got that can be used for Smash.

Yet for some reason I can't explain, the idea of him in Smash is growing on me.
Probably because of the Switch port of DOOM.

Kakapo

Smash Rookie
Oh god, i'm so in with this.

If I had to come with a moveset, would be something like this.

Cloud like heavy. Between medium and fast faller. Average jump and nice grab range. Pit like run speed. Good air movility.

Normals and Smash attacks

Jab: Two punches folowed by a hammer down hit with his fists. Can kill at quite high percents (like robin fire jab)

Forward tilt: A kick similar to ganon f tilt, weaker but faster and doesn't send foes that horizontaly. Still good damage and knockback. Can kill at high percentages.

Up tilt: A headbutt. Not so great range but grants intangibility on the head and upper body. Can kill at high percentages.

Down tilt: a quick stomp in front of him. Doesn't have a good range but a good combo starter, send enemies upwards. it consist of two hits, the foot going down and the slam. Someway safe-ish on shield due to pushback and good shield damage.

Smash attacks: They use the chainsaw. Up does an arc over him, forward is a slice and down like up but on the ground, with more range. They are reasonably fast and deal a ****ton of damage and knockback, but have lot of endlag and are completely unsafe on shield.

Air attacks

Neutral air: A pistol shot. Doesn't travel very far but can be charged. Can be shot very fast up to 3 times without landing and has very low knock back. The charged shot deals more damage, has more knockback and can be shot even after landing. Almost lagless. Poor shield damage.

Down air. Shoots the shotgun with the grenade launcher mod. If it hits close to him (can happen on the ground too), propels him slighly upwards and spikes the opponent. Like megaman down air, it travels some distance before desapearing. Only explodes on contact with an enemy or a surface (or any kind of hitbox). Deals fire damage.

forward air: Shoots a 6 rocket salvo with the rocket launcher modded assault rifle. Can be tilted up and down. Very low knockback but decent damage (fire damage) and hitstun. Can be used 4 times before it enters a short cooldown. While on CD, he hits with the rifle instead. Autocancels on landing after a shorthop.

up air: 2 hits attack with the gauss cannon. Like shulk's up air, first hit he pull the cannon out, hit that connects wit the shot. Good damage but difficult to use. The hit and shot goes diagonaly towards you are watching, but can be reversed. Pushes you down when using it. It autocancels during the first hit, laggy othewise.

Back air: A punch like lucario or falcon B air. High knockback.

Specials

Neutral - Rocket launcher: If tapped, can be used instantly, shooting horizontaly. You can run while readying the shot (It is fast anyway). If you hold the button, you stay in position but you can aim 360 degrees. Can be used in the air once and can be used for a rocket jump.

Side - Plasma gun: Shoots the plasma gun. each use shoots 5 projectiles in quick sucession, can be used 3 times. After that, it transforms into the plasma pulse. deals very good damage, has nice hitstun but poor range. The ability enters on cooldown after its use completely for a short period of time. Can be used in movement.

Up - Thrust boots: A 3rd, long jump. Does not cause freefall and you can do whatever you want during it. Can only be used once without landing but refreshes after being hit, like every othe recovery.

Down - Grenade: readies a grenade (like link or snake). It explode quicker tho.

Throws

Every throw uses the supershotgun. The pummel is a punch in the face.

Up: He launches his foe in the air and shot him once afterwards. Can kill at extremely high percents.

Forward: holds his enemy and shoot him twice. Good damage but no followups and doesn't kill.

Back: Similar to F throw.

Down: Slams the enemy on the ground and shoot him twice. Combo throw at low and mid percents.

And as some other pointed before I love the idea of throws instakilling dazed enemies over x percent. Would be great.

Final Smash

Obviusly the BFG. A slow projectile that oneshots. it also deals damage to the enemies nearby.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Hard to say - Corrin's sword is like a chainsaw, but there's obvious fantasy elements, and while games like Final Fantasy VI (Edgar), Tekken (Alisa Bosconovitch), and Marvel vs. Capcom (Frank West) have characters using chainsaws, I'm not sure if it would be as acceptable in Smash.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm inclined to think so long as there has been stuff like neck snapping (er... twisting?), Bayo's guns and Corrin's sword, an actual chainsaw would be fine if it was used conservatively. Ie. basically similar to a two-handed sword (even with the motor going). As soon as the chainsaw penetrates through the character, imo that's where the line is.

Just a guess though.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Even in the current Doom the chainsaw has to be used conservatively since it has a fuel limit unlike in the classics, so I guess that would fit. /shrug

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
Could Doomguy get away with a realistic Chainsaw or is that too hardcore?
It would be tough to pull off due to some action that could easily jump the ratings.

I'd expect any realistic guns to be more of an issue. From what I've heard, that's why Snake was limited to launchers.
The realistic guns in the Doom franchise can be side-stepped, especially if the moveset is pulling from multiple continuities.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Maybe the gravity gun from the Doom 3 expansions that catch demon projectiles midair and aim and fire them back at them could work. Wouldn’t be as quickly convenient as most reflectors in Smash like those of the Star Fox characters, but it’s something. Maybe the Soul Cube from Doom 3 or the time slowing Artifact from the expansion could play a part too.

But since games of the Doom 3 continuity weren’t on Nintendo platforms, kinda doubt any material from it would be used... There’s Doom 64 too I suppose but never played it fully. It was more of an off-brand game made by different people, and a one-off at that.

The only continuities I really see being taken into account is that of the classic Doom, and the current 2016 one. Still, would be interesting if anything of the aforementioned was used.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Oh, that's cool.

Looking on the wiki and stuff, perhaps they're all connected, given how 64's final boss the Mother Demon apparently makes somewhat of a cameo appearance in Doom 2016, as does the Soul Cube from 3. The Unmaker weapon was the other interesting thing exclusive to Doom 64.

Sniper Maxter

Smash Cadet
Is it okay to have never actually played a Doom game and still want this? Maybe the Switch port and a Smash appearance will finally give me enough incentive.

Last edited:

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
Is it okay to have never actually played a Doom game and still want this? Maybe the Switch port and a Smash appearance will finally give me enough incentive.
It's completely okay to want a Doom Marine/Doom Slayer in Smash and haven't played the game. We do encourage you to play the games, though.

Fine, don't support Doomguy for Smash.
Sit down with your milk and cookies while the rest of the community goes to Hell.

(I support!)
We do accept the support, but you're being a bit rude, here. Or am I missing something, here?

Last edited:

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
It's a reference to the box that shows on DOS when you quit on the free demo of Doom '93.
Okay, thanks for telling me this. I forgot there were shareware/demo quit messages.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I got the reference, except I thought it was "Sit down with your milk and cookies and let the entire universe go to hell" or something like that... Suppose it was reworded to fit the context of that post.

The said free demo summed up most of my initial Doom experience at the time, as it contained the entire first campaign episode (Knee Deep in the Dead) out of the original three.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Let's look at Doomguy's non-bullet weapons.

Pistol (Reboot only)
Rocket Launcher
Plasma Rifle
BFG (BioForce Generator or Big Freakin' Gun)
Gauss Cannon
Chainsaw

Enough to make a moveset out of I'd say, even if we do lose the iconic shotgun.

One thing for Doomguy I'd say his moveset needs, is he needs a way to "strafe" by moving to the background and briefly becoming projectile invincible. Maybe even all except grab invincible.

FantasticMr.StarPit

Smash Journeyman
Fine, don't support Doomguy for Smash.
Sit down with your milk and cookies while the rest of the community goes to Hell.

(I support!)
That's the spirit. Let the entire universe go to hell where we may never ever see a Western representation(unless you wanna count Diddy Kong) in a fighting game full of anime swordsmans, weird cartoony characters and our favoirte neighborhood plumber. "sarcasm"

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Slightly of topic but it's on one that's come up a few times here and it certainly feels like Doom gets a quick nod in it:

One of my favourite nerdy metal bands for years (Machinae Supremacy) collaborating with a popular youtube rapper (Dan Bull) to write about the new Wolfenstein with a heavy dose of references, cool metaphors and double meanings. A bit sweary but very well done.

Hope you guys appreciate it.

Last edited:

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
Slightly of topic but it's on one that's come up a few times here and it certainly feels like Doom gets a quick nod in it:

One of my favourite nerdy metal bands for years (Machinae Supremacy) collaborating with a popular youtube rapper (Dan Bull) to write about the new Wolfenstein with a heavy dose of references, cool metaphors and double meanings. A bit sweary but very well done.

Hope you guys appreciate it.
I see a Doom reference in there. Speaking of Wolfenstein, I created a thread for B.J Blazkowicz so Wolfenstein talks can be over there. With that out of the way, I wish I caught onto anymore Doom references in that music video and the song.

Sniper Maxter

Smash Cadet
I want to make a moveset, but my Doom knowledge is limited. What are all of Doomguy's explosive/energy/fantastical weapons that he could use without setting off the censors?

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I suppose a chainsaw could work if it were treated the same as Corrin's chainsaw-style weapon.

Clean blade, no rusty or bloody appearance, is treated like a multi-hitting slashing weapon.

I'm not a fan of making his moveset too much like everyone else's though. Doomguy in my mind is a heavy zoner, like Samus and Ganondorf rolled into one.

Sniper Maxter

Smash Cadet
I'm not a fan of making his moveset too much like everyone else's though. Doomguy in my mind is a heavy zoner, like Samus and Ganondorf rolled into one.
Same, but I was thinking more a cross between Mega Man and Captain Falcon. He's fast and he's got hard hitting melee options, but the range game is what he really wants to be playing. You'll see what I mean if I can get that moveset together.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Agreed. I picture him as a zoner + heavy hitter more than anything.

I had a moveset idea, but since I haven't played the last Doom, and I don't nremember enough of Doom 3, it's somewhat classic biased.

A: Pistol (hold for repetitive fire)
Ftilt: Punch
Dtilt: Low kick
Utilt: Flashlight swing
Fsmash: Double Barreled Shotgun
Usmash: Chaingun (uppercut damage racker, KOs with tip)
Dsmash: Chainsaw slash (covers a 270° in front)
B: Rocket Launcher
B^ Random teleport
B> Plasma gun (aim it 45° up and down)
Bv Explosive Barrel (plant an explosive barrel)

Nair: Roundhouse kick
Fair: Shotgun
Bair: Shotgun
Uair: Shotgun
Dair: Shotgun

Grab:
Bck: Turkey punch
Up:
Fwd: Berserk punch (KO)
Down: Smackdown

Final Smash: BFG

Top Bottom