• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

AT: SHAD'ing and it's Evolution!

Koscu

Smash Cadet
***Disclaimer: Not all information on the SHAD was found by me, several others discovered before, at, or after the time i had, and i have, to the best of my ability, included all of their information in this guide.***

I use:
GC Controller
Tap Jump Off
L switched to Grab

But i'll describe in the guide the use of SHAD with the GC Controller's defaults except with Tap Jump off.

The Technique: The SHAD

Introduction:

The basics of this move are that one should Short Hop, and cancel it upon landing by Air Dodging. This simplistic move leads to several offensive and defensive choices that give an upper hand to the user against their opponent.

A Comprehensive Guide to the SHAD:

First of all, one must know what a SHAD is. In its simplest form, it's a jump canceled by an air dodge right before one lands, allowing for several options upon landing. But this is far too simple and timely, and the jump was replaced by the basic technique of a Short Hop. Thus, producing its name: Short Hop - Air Dodge.

This move is beyond simplistic. All one must do to complete a SHAD is short hop by quickly tapping the X or Y, or any other button that has been assigned to jump. Once this is done, one must await before their character is just about to land and initiate an air dodge by simply pressing L, R / any button you have assigned shield to, or Z / any button you have assigned Grab to (only works on characters without a grapple for Grab). There you go, you have now just completed your first SHAD. So remember:

Short Hop - Air Dodge

is a SHAD in its simplest terms. Now on to its several, some-what complicated variations.

Advancing the SHAD:

Now that you know how to complete a normal, simple SHAD, we'll move on to how one quicken's the effect and speed of the SHAD. The first way to speed of the SHAD is to add in another basic technique, called Fast Falling.

Just like the original SHAD, you start off by Short Hopping. Now, instead of waiting for the games usual replacement mechanic of Gravity, once you achieve the maximum of your short hop, direct your analog stick by smashing it downwards. Once you do this, your character should now be able to launch straight down towards the ground, faster than at normal speed. Congrats, you've now completed a Short Hop to a Fast Fall. Now, after practicing this, introduce the Air Dodge just before you hit the ground again. You should be able to complete the SHAD a lot faster than usual, so remember:

Short Hop - Fast Fall - Air Dodge

is what we are now basing the name SHAD to.

Next we introduce the moving SHAD. All you have to do to be able to complete this is to Dash prior to your new SHAD. This allows for you to run up to an oppenent and complete a SHAD with fluidity, which will come extremely handy when we begin to introduce several other variations of the SHAD. So now we have the:

Dash - Short Hop - Fast Fall - Air Dodge

as our present SHAD.

Finally, before we get to our next steps into offensive and defensive variations of our SHAD, i want to introduce the ability to preform attacks in the midst of preforming a SHAD. This move takes a lot more precision and timing that the basic SHAD's prior. So now try this, Jump, preform an Aerial Attack, then cancel it with an air dodge right before you hit the ground. So:

Basic Jump - Aerial - Air Dodge

Now, once you have this down quickly, introduce a short hop instead of the basic jump.

Short Hop - Aerial - Air Dodge

Great, now try adding in the fast fall prior to the aerial:

Short Hop - Fast Fall - Aerial - Air Dodge

Keep practicing that. And finally, once you have that down, attempt the:

Dash - Short Hop - Fast Fall - Aerial - Air Dodge

Remember, dashing always isn't mandatory when completing a SHAD, but it always is welcome because it allows for several things such as positioning, mind games, and speed. If you can complete this complicated combo then congrats :) You just did an advanced SHAD. With this, you can abuse the momentum mechanic to exemplify the speciality of certain aerials. This is best seen when characters have strong BAirs. The character must dash towards their opponent, and as they short hop they can change their direction of their character by smashing the analog direction in the opposite direction and hitting the C-Stick in the direction of their opponent. The momentum carries the character still towards their opponent but allows them to use their BAir during the advanced SHAD.

And just before i continue, i'd like to let everyone know that one can complete SHAD continuiously, meaning:

Dash - Short Hop - Fast Fall - Aerial - Air Dodge - Dash - Short Hop ... Air Dodge

or even:

Dash - Short Hop ... Air Dodge - Short Hop - Fast Fall ... Air Dodge

Advanced Advanced SHAD'ing:

***Disclaimer: Some of these moves are simplified depending on one's use of either L and R or Z, difficulty may range. Some moves are limited to only L and R or Z, depending.***

Defensive:

Defensively, the SHAD is incredible. L and R shielding and Grabbing achieve this evenly.

First off, the most simplest way defensively SHAD'ing is going back to the simple SHAD:

Short Hop - Fast Fall - Air Dodge

To complete a defensive SHAD, one must just simply press and hold either L/R or Z, allowing for the Air Dodge to be converted into a Bubble Shield upon landing:

Short Hop - Fast Fall - Air Dodge - Bubble Shield

Lastly, this can also be accompanied by any circumstance that is found by leaving a Bubble Shield, whether it by an USmash for a more offensive take, a Shield Grab, or even a defensive roll in any direction, or even into another SHAD :p

Another defensive SHAD is completed through a little more timing. This is seen with doing the normal SH - FF - AD, but upon landing, one must re-press the button they used (L/R or Z) and a direction. This allows for a Roll to be completed while landing without any Bubble Shield frames to be seen:

Short Hop - Fast Fall - Air Dodge - Roll

Obviously, any of the prior functions can be added to randomize or better your SHAD'ing ability. Such as:

Dash - Short Hop - Fast Fall - Aerial - Air Dodge - Bubble Shield

Dash - Short Hop - Fast Fall - Aerial - Air Dodge - Roll

Or even the unmentioned possibility of a double Air Dodge:

... - Short Hop - Air Dodge - Fast Fall - Air Dodge - ...

Which can be looked at as the most defensive type of SHAD, though it may be a little less quick.

Offensive Gameplay:

Nothing is more complicated or fantastic than the capabilities of SHAD'ing's offensive gameplay. Not only are several upon several options available to complete the SHAD, but they're all important in their own way. Personally, i find the use of Z better than L/R due to the fact that it takes up less hand-eye cordination and less button smashing.

Grab:

The easiest of the offensive SHAD's is the Grab. The easiest way for one to complete a SHAD grab is to just simply SHAD, then upon landing, just the moment you touch the ground, hit Z. With practice, one will definitely be able to time it so the frame on hits the ground, they are able to preform the grab.

... - Short Hop - Fast Fall - ... - Air Dodge - Grab - ...

Crouch Attack:

The second easiest of all the offensive SHAD's. Basically, SHAD, and when you land smash your analog to the ground, and either hit Z or A. This should complete a:

... - Short Hop - Fast FAll - ... - Air Dodge - Crouch Attack - ...

Tilt:

Each and different Tilt all have their own limits to their difficulty. Which is even more interchangable per character. For example: Ike and Marth preform DTilts better than Wolf, but Wolf preforms a FTilt easily. It all depends on which character your are comfortable with and how you adapt to their play style. There are two ways to do this:

L/R= SHAD and upon landing do a tilt attack like any other way. Takes more controlling skills and timing, but it is easier to preform it this way.

Z= SHAD and upon landing, re-press Z and tilt the analog in the direction you would like to tilt attack. This doesn't always happen and takes some adaptation. If you smash the analog you'll most definitely roll instead of tilting, so beware. But, this way takes less movement of one's hands and adds a little more quickness and fluidity to in-game.

So basically:

... - Short Hop - Fast Fall - ... - Air Dodge - Tilt - ...

Dash Variations:

Dashing is difficult at first, but definitely becomes extremely easy to preform, and is extremely useful. This move not only helps for offensive gain, but defensive as well, and even continues both.

L/R= SHAD, and upon landing Dash :)
Z= Same thing

... - Short Hop - Fast Fall - ... - Air Dodge - Dash - ...

This one specifically can be used if your opponent decides to attempt to escape, you can just cancel your SHAD complete and chase after him, maybe even finish with a Dash Attack if you ever catch up.

Next is the Dash Attack. Basically the difference is that you can initiate a dash attack nearly the time you land, only with a few frames of actual dashing. This is complicated to master but is useful.

L/R= Harder to do on L/R. SHAD into a dash and press A as fast as possible. Takes timing but IS possible.
Z= Easier. SHAD and upon landing smash your analog and Z at the same time. Oddly this initiates a dash attack with a few frames of dash upon landing. IT DOES NOT WORK EVERY TIME. L/R works 100% of the time, but is tougher to master, Z is easier but does not work 100% of the time.

... - Short Hop - Fast Fall - ... - Air Dodge - Dash Attack - ...

The next Dash variation is Dash Grab. Just SHAD, initiate a dash, and quickly press Grab. Pretty simplistic. No difference between L/R and Z.

... - Short Hop - Fast Fall - ... - Air Dodge - Dash Grab - ...

Lastly is the Dash Shield. Just SHAD, dash, shield, not tough :p

... - Short Hop - Fast Fall - ... - Air Dodge - Dash Shield - ...

Smash Attacks:

Any of the Smash Attacks can simply be preformed out of a SHAD. All one needs to do is to land whilst holding Grab preferably instead of shield. If you hold shield, you'll only be able to preform an USmash.

Once you complete that SHAD, press grab and hold, and at the same time thrust both the analog stick and the C-Stick in the direction you would like to preform a smash attack. Each character has easier smashes than others, but it should be simple. Don't be turned off if a buble shield frame is seen whilst doing this, that's easily fixed with practice.

So finally, we have:

... - Short Hop - Fast Fall - ... - Air Dodge - Smash Attack - ...

----------------------------

YAAAYY! Those are all the basic and advanced variations of the SHAD. Hopefully more will continue to be added to this useful move.

If you have any questions or have any educational videos made, please feel free to post them.

Thank you :)

VIDEOS​
Thank You Woebegone Jackal
Lucas doing a SH-FF-AD, Thanks to NotEz in the Lucas Forums
Examples of Several Different Characters SH-FF-AD'ing. Thanks to Nebaku

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
I'm not exactly clear on how you're doing this...

For starters, Grab + a direction can't even be used to perform aerials anymore, much less ground attacks, as far as I know. I guess I'm too unclear on what's happening to recreate it to any degree of accuracy. Could you try explaining it a bit better?

Kiederen

Smash Cadet
What it sounds like, is that using the grab button to do an air dodge right before hitting the ground. Then, (I think) while still holding the grab button, the character will do a quick tilt attack almost immediately on landing in whatever direction the analog stick is directed. You said that if you let go of the grab button after canceling the air dodge, the character does a grab right? So then you'd have to hold the grab button to do the tilt, otherwise you'd grab.

Am I getting this right?

From your post, I don't see how reconfiguring the controller had any effect on these maneuvers though, since tilts are independent of the b button.

So what I'm still do not understand is:
What kind of control method are you using? Wiimote by itself is out, lacking any analog sticks, as is Wiimote and Nunchuck, as that only has one analog stick that cannot be changed. So, it'd have to be a GC controller or Classic.

Therefore:
What do you mean by "switched left to grab"? Did you switch left on the d-pad? because you cannot change the movement (left) analog stick.

Hope I didn't confuse anyone any further.

Koscu

Smash Cadet
I would also like to quickly add:

This ONLY works on characters with out the expanded grab, like Link, T.Link, Lucas and the sort.
And Aerials only work so far that i've tested are shorter ones can can fit in to the combo filled jump.

Sworded characters destroy in the aerial combo's, Marth and Metaknight were actually able to pull of two fair's then air dodge, though Metaknight isn't that great at all of this, Marth is fantastic (another up for Marth :()

:034:

Smash Hero
It's.. Really, really confusing, actually. Make a video out of it? That would make the effects of it much easier to understand.

Koscu

Smash Cadet
I can't make a video of it, that's what's unfortunate.

a) i don't have a wii
b) my friend doesn't have an SD Card
c) my digital cam is down

So my explanation is all i have :S Until someone is able to understand it and post a video of themselves attempting it.

My easiest explanation is to jump, and instead of using shield to airdodge, use grab. If you spam this for a while you should be able to see yourself doing several different things when you land, such as a quick tilt attack, bubble shield, grab, dash, or dash grab. Once you understand that i can explain further, its actually REALLY easy to do.

Greenpoe

Smash Ace
So, you're saying that this way cuts out starting lag? If not, why not just attack in the first place?

Koscu

Smash Cadet
It definitely feels like it but i can't be complete sure because of my limitations on playing time. (I own the game, but not a Wii :()

I wouldn't go as far as that it cuts starting lag, but it definitely cuts landing lag. Like i mean i'm able to use a tilt attack as soon as i touch the ground, grab as soon as i hit the ground etc.

Its definitely not revolutionary in the fact that it eliminates start up lag on tilt attacks, but it just feels different from usual play, and thats why it intrigued me so much.

Koscu

Smash Cadet
So, you're saying that this way cuts out starting lag? If not, why not just attack in the first place?
lol good question.

So far, in the little time i get to play brawl / test this out, i've been able to use it for a few things already.

First of all, since i'm landing so quickly i've been able to continue combos, or even finish them when i land. I Short Hop, pull off an aerial, airdodge, land, short hop, aerial, airdodge, land. Almost like SHFFL'ing in melee, but not as good, but still definitely useful.

Second of all, since its been with my friends who i've been testing with, it can be used for mind games. Now they know that when ever i short hop, i'm most definitely going to grab dodge, (again, just a simpler way of saying jump to airdodge using grab instead of shield) but they don't know what i'm going to use out of it. So i get the dodge frames in air and am able to attack once i hit the ground.

Here, try this for those who have a wii/brawl in their vicinity: Short Hop, before you land air dodge, but make sure you're still in air when you hit grab. If you use grab to airdodge instead of shield, you WON'T get shield frames when you land, you'll just hit the ground standing as if you didn't even jump.

Koscu

Smash Cadet
GAAAAH
I really wish i could make a video.
Honestly, just go on brawl training, anyone without a retractable grab
Jump and spam Z on the GC controller, or what ever you use for grab.
You should do something when you hit the ground, such as an attack, roll, smash, grab, dash, dash grab, dash attack.

Then once you do that, try Jumping, and timing the grabbed-airdodge JUST before you hit the ground.
You should start the airdodge animation and then stand up instantly once you hit the ground.

Now try doing that with a short hop
Now try doing that with a short hop - fast fall
or short hop - aerial

Koscu

Smash Cadet
I've been fooling around a little more (i'm at my friends) and i found out that half the attacks coming OUT of these SHFFAD's can be done with out jumping.

Like for example:
Hold Analog stick down, and hit grab, you'll do a crouch attack.
Press any direction and grab AT THE SAME TIME, and you'll roll with out any shield frames

Grab is actually a useful tool i see. But when you do the SHFFAD combo, unlike attacking normally, it allows you to initiate it prior to landing, as seen by hitting grab just before you land and landing whilst doing any of the grab options.

I'm going to experiment more, it actually seems very useful if you can get it down fast enough.

**I REALIZE THAT HALF OF YOU ARE CONFUSED, I'LL TRY MY BEST TO GET A VIDEO. UNTIL THEN, CHECK OUT SHAD'ing, ITS BASICALLY THE SAME THING BUT HE'S USING SHIELD AIR DODGING INSTEAD OF GRAB AIR DODGING**

Koscu

Smash Cadet
lawllz!?

Alright, so i guess because i had ingested some alcohol when i found this it can't be useful WHAT so ever. It was smash party on a friday night. I highly doubt the mechanics of the game are not dependent on the BAC of the players, idiot.

THIS IS ALL BESIDE THE POINT, has anyone tested this yet?

JCR

Smash Rookie
So is the essentially a kind of 'L-Cancel' that is gotten by holding down the grab button?

Videos would be very appreciated.

Nintendo_lord

Smash Journeyman
1. You are right: Marth and the Spacies are pwnage.
2. This sounds awesome, like l-canceling! It could evolve into a whole new set of combos and mindgames. I'm totally going to try this tomorrow.

Tyros

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I'll try some of this later today, keeping the page open so that I know what I'm doing and can follow the things closely, then get back to you on my results. Unfortunately... I can't vid either. n.n; But I can try it and see if I can offer a second word on it.

- Tyros

redeyedol

Smash Cadet
It sounds sorta like the air-dodge/side-step is some sort of substitute for L-Cancellin? It's still a bit confusin, but my idea is that you're tryin to say that doin a borderline air-dodge (which is just a slight portion of the actual air-dodge animation just barely comin out before you land due to the fast fall and short height about the ground) will cut out lag for whatever move you wish to follow up with once you land?

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I dunno what you're talking about honestly. Using jump to air dodge right before you land doesn't seem to decrease startup frames for anything from what I see. I can do everything just as quickly when I dont airdodge before landing.

xandeR-

Smash Apprentice
I was messing with it yesterday. I think it does what he says it does. I was able to do grabs the instant i hit the ground, roll out of SHFF aerials (which is super nice, I'm a Marth) and land without shield frames if I hold grab-air dodge just before the ground.

Someone truly knowledgeable needs to try it out though so the community can have a definitive call on this.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I was messing with it yesterday. I think it does what he says it does. I was able to do grabs the instant i hit the ground, roll out of SHFF aerials (which is super nice, I'm a Marth) and land without shield frames if I hold grab-air dodge just before the ground.
You can do all of that by landing without air dodging 1st too. I still don't see how air dodging before you land makes anything quicker. As long as you don't have an aerial animation lag you can do anything you want the instant you touch the ground.

xandeR-

Smash Apprentice
Again, I'm not really sure about all the mechanics of the game yet. I'm using the boards as a tech bible of sorts so anything I see here, I try out. I just never tried to do any of those things before (at least the stuff I mentioned) so I posted that you can indeed do them by using grab in the air or just as you hit the ground.

Like I said before, we need someone truly knowledgeable to try this out to see if there's any difference.

And we need a video. >.<

Runeblade279

Smash Apprentice
This is intruiging.. I must try it out. Because if this works, then it's kind of like a new shffl/l-cancel..

Could cause some seriously new strategies to form.

Surgo

Smash Apprentice
I've done this a lot; for anyone who is still confused, it's really just abuse of the buffering system. It's super easy to buffer stuff like a roll from an airdodge that ends up hitting the ground. Because you're buffering it ahead of time, you end up doing the buffered move as fast as is actually possible.

I don't play anybody with a grapple but you should be able to do it with them too by just using L or R to airdodge instead of Z. I'll check if it's actually possible or not in a couple hours after class.

Top Bottom