• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

AT: SHAD'ing and it's Evolution!

ArchPong

Smash Rookie
Good Read (After the edits :p) and very useful for someone who wants to add this to their moveset. A video of someone showing it all could be useful.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
this kind of sounds like wave landing to me, as far as i understood, but still SHAD doesnt really seem that useful...
Respect for trying tho =]

tect

Smash Journeyman
i've been testing it a lot. it's pretty useful, more useful than some think. at the very least, it will prompt further exploration into the buffering system, further developing the game

oh, and RAR is not an AT

Shukudai

Smash Apprentice
can you explain why RAR isn't considered an AT, instead of just posting an arrogant-looking statement?

i've been using SHAD into side rolls as an entry tool against projectile *******s :p

Bibbed

Smash Journeyman
There is a ridiculous amount of information on that first post for something that barely has any use. You really need a video showing it being used for an actual purpose, and proving that it's better than whatever the alternative would be.

Nebaku

Smash Rookie
There is a ridiculous amount of information on that first post for something that barely has any use. You really need a video showing it being used for an actual purpose, and proving that it's better than whatever the alternative would be.

You must have to write that ALOT. Because most of the videos I watch on youtube are done in training mode, and not in actual battle situations.

But even though it barely has any use, you definitively notice a difference when you SHFFAD from a really really high area. Just test it out before you think it doesn't have any use.

and the post is about "its Evolution"

The_Woebegone_Jackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Faver_Jo
3DS FC
4854-6514-7143
Best guide on SHAD'ing I've seen. Its nice to see someone take this simple tech seriously.

there is one thing to add though, unless I missed it in your guide you can cancel a SHAD with a Zair. its good for mindgames and quick suprise attacks.

SketchHurricane

Smash Ace
Okay, so I SH FF AD a lot to land grabs but I never tried throwing an aerial in there. Is it even possible to fit one in? The OP goes on and on about it, but I've never seen it...

Koscu

Smash Cadet
its beyond hard to pull off, but i've done it a few times. But sometimes, depending on which toon you play, it just shows the action or a few frames of an aerial, minus any hitbox. It is possible though, but just takes a lot of timing, try to do it in 1/4
its easier to do SH A AD's, but still some toons land the animation, but no hitbox or attack

3xSwords

Smash Lord
Yo Koscu are you saying its actually possible to do an aerial while FF'ing and still manage to get an air dodge in? I would think most character would do the landing animation b4 their aerial animation is even over because you FF right? What are the advantages of the SH FF A AD? Anybody answer.

Koscu

Smash Cadet
to be completely honest, there isn't much benefit doing a SH FF A AD do to the possibility that you may not pull it off; to the fact that its incredibly hard to pull of (again, i've only done it so many times that i can count on one hand, and i've tried lots of times. Its better to just stick with SH A AD. You could even try Normal Jump - FF - A - AD, which helps increase the possibilites to land the aerial, but in the situation of the SHAD, you should either sacrifice pulling off fast fall or the aerial.

ihatemybrother

Smash Journeyman
What I find frustrating, and is the primary flaw of SHADing is that you are completely vulnerable even if you SHAD into a shield. Any long-lasting attack will hit you. Never SHAD against a Zelda.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
This is actually a bad idea, because upon landing you have a few frames of lag before the shield pops up. Lucario, Zelda, and others with lingering hitboxes will destroy people using this.

Koscu

Smash Cadet
You guys are right, but there are ways to reverse it.
Characters with multiple jumps, if you're a smart player, can easily punish anyone who attempts to use an attack with lingering hitboxes.
Same goes with toons who are able to use the infinite second jump.

Try with Metaknight, those who can, but refrain from FFing, and just SH AA AD and Second Jump if you have to and continue. Metaknight is actually key with this, just repetitively using nair or dair after the hit box clears. Its all about timing.

SHADing isn't an amazing feat to the game, but if used intelligently its still benefitial. But it relies more on the user's skill than adding to it. Its all based on the intelligence and how you use it.

If your just randomly doing it to get across the map, or SHADing right on top of your opponent, then its useless. Use the AA's, double jump, to get through lingering hitboxes, it is possible.

Again, SHAD isn't revolutionary or anything like that, and its definitely not an AT now, its just abusing the buffer system in a way that's benefitial towards you, but it still takes some skill to put it to better use. Be smart.

Zergum

Smash Cadet
this is the dumbest **** you are basically just jumping in front of someone with 2 FRAMES of landing lag asking to get hit.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
Luigis do something we like to call "L" canceling.

It simply involves short hopping an aerial, then fast fall air dodging, while buffering the next jump. It allows luigi to do short hopped aerials in very quick sucession. It's a staple of alot of luigis' game.

Top Bottom