• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

At Melee's End - Pro Impact CCSC Championship - Calgary, AB (Dec. 15th-16th)

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Premium
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
To register and confirm your attendance, please click here.

"I've been registered for some time, but unfortunately, I have seen few to no Calgary smashers in these forums."

The gig is up for Super Smash Bros. Melee and it's high time we gave it one last epic farewell--come one, come all! To the final major SSBM tournament in Canada!

RJM and the Pro Impact Players are pleased to present At Melee's End, a two-day event this festive holiday season, just days after we usher in a new era of smash...that is, if we can tear some people away from their Wiis for a weekend to give Melee one last hurrah...

"But WHO!?"

You, of course! The tournament is labelled as a "Central Canada Smash Circuit" championship, but it's open to everyone. Invite your friends, bring your dog, introduce us to your grandparents, it's a free country!

When the idea for this tournament was still brewing, there was interest garnered from the B.C. crowd, a variety of Beast Coast players and the obligatory guaranteed attendance of every local smasher in Alberta.

But wait!! We've got players from New York....even California has shown some interest! This ain't no smashfest in someone's basement, people!

"But WHAT!?"

Well, it's a tournament; a tournament and more.

This is an early posting just so everyone has some notice, so there will obviously be some changes to the plans and expansions as to what the tournament will entail over time. However, here is a short list of the things you can likely expect if you plan on coming to At Melee's End:
  • Organized Brackets! - What a concept, huh? I don't run lousy tournaments, people, you'll have nothing to worry about in terms of your matches. Every tournament I have been to there is always either bracket problems. people who are dissatisfied with them or both, and although I know you can't please everyone, I still think it's worth trying to. Therefore, the brackets should be enhanced by such things as:
    • a live monitor... - Either in the form of an additional television set/monitor or possibly a projector screen showing the bracket as it gets updated live so you always know where you place and who you are facing.
    • match announcements by loudspeaker... - If by some freak chance that you happened to get lost playing smash and aren't paying attention to your bracket position, it's OK! We'll have a P.A. system and some decent speakers to announce the matches when you're up. I will be employing a number of my rabid Pro Impact minions to handle various elements of bracket management to ensure the tournament portion is carried out properly.
    • regional separation in brackets so I don't get eliminated by my brother... - I owe the mighty nealdt a great deal for crafting tio, the software on which this tournament will run. He has devised some brilliant algorithm that will effectively separate players from different locations as evenly as possible to allow for the greatest variety of competition between smashers that don't get to play each other often.
  • Merchandise! - Oh we'll be decked out in Pro Impact merchandise. Novelty t-shirts from the tournament, maybe even some hats...again the details aren't down to the specifics yet. After all, these things cost both time and money. I don't know how many people are down for actually buying things like that, but their primary function will be as free gifts for attending, or perhaps occasional random awards for accomplishing meaningless tasks! (In Lethbridge a few months back, we managed to win a poster just for stealing Ness's PK Thunder and getting the last KO in some random set!)
  • A Trophy! - Indeed! I can't exactly promise this one, but I'm pretty sure I know enough people in the metalcrafting profession that I just might be able to get a custom trophy made up for the tournament winner. If and when I get further details, you can expect pictures.
  • Food & Drink! - A best friend and honourary member of the Pro Impact Players will be coming into town from interior British Columbia to cook delicious little snack foods and hors d'oeuvres for the whole crowd. He is, in fact, a trained professional chef from the culinary arts program at SAIT. Now that's top tier!--Turns out we may have to settle for pop and chips as this one didn't quite go down...
  • Goofy Mini-Tourneys! - As this is a farewell to Super Smash Bros. Melee, there will be multiple manned stations with some of my Pro Impact minions running fun little single-elimination tournaments such as....a tournament full of only Fox dittos! Or a 3:00 Bonus tournament! ....Super Sudden Death?? Why not, that'll take like two minutes! Naturally, more details are to come as to the nature and conduct of these little bonus events. I imagine this would be a good place to be giving away some of that l33t merchandise up there.
  • And more!
"But WHERE!?"

This tournament will take place (rather oddly) at a swimming pool. There will be no swimming involved, nor will we be plugging in televisions by the side of the pool and risking a serious electrical hazard. In fact, the pool just happens to have a couple of ancillary multi-purpose rooms that (being a City of Calgary employee) I am able to rent out at a substantially reduced rate.

PLACE: BELTLINE POOL & FITNESS CENTRE

ADDRESS:
221 12th Ave. SW - Calgary, AB, CA

ROOM: 2nd Floor - Gymnasium

"But WHEN!?"

This will be a two-day event, held in the successful spirit of Lanowen's popular TransCanada Tournament.

Day 1 - Saturday, December 15th
~11:00 AM-9:00 PM
Day 1's events will include:

CREW BATTLES

Assemble a team of two or more players to compete as a crew if you don't have one, or compete with your regular crewmates if you have them!

DOUBLES

If you've got a team partner and you have confirmed attendance, let me know and give yourselves a team name. If you have an incredibly difficult time coming up with a team name, one will be assigned to you randomly using nealdt's brilliant tio interface!

Day 2
- Sunday, December 16th

~11:00 AM-9:00 PM
Day 2's events will likely include:

SMASH 64 TOURNAMENT

Free to enter! Try your hand at the game that started it all (and try your hand at the lone player from Fort Saskatchewan that will kill us all).

LOW TIER TOURNAMENT

Also free to enter! Choose a character from the list below and let me know if you'd like to play to be added to the roster:
  • Link
  • Luigi
  • Donkey Kong
  • Roy
  • Young Link
  • Pikachu
  • Yoshi
  • Zelda
  • Mr. Game & Watch
  • Ness
  • Bowser
  • Kirby
  • Pichu
  • Mewtwo
SINGLES

The main event....the last chance to prove your worth in one-on-one Melee! It is assumed that every single confirmed participant to this tournament will be playing in the singles bracket (though if that's not the case, by all means let me know of any exceptions). Therefore, the confirmed list of players for this event can be found at the bottom of this page.

"Sounds like potentially the most hardcore thing ever in the history of the world, but WHAT DOES IT COST!?"

Oh right, that money thing.

Singles - $20.00 (per player)
Doubles - $30.00 (per team)
Crews - $40.00 (per crew)

I'm fairly sure that's a few dollars higher than the majority of the tournaments you've probably attended. Unless there is any serious objection, it would be incredibly helpful from a strictly financial point of view if it could stay that way. This isn't going to be a cheap tournament to run and although I'm working on local fundraising from the Calgary crew, the plan was to hopefully shave 20-25% of entry fee proceeds to help pay for the whole thing.

Hopefully I don't have to eat these words, but I'm almost absolutely sure that at least 64 players are coming to this event and I'm saying that without much advertising. If that is the bare minimum I'm working with, here's how the prize breakdown works (taking into consideration a 20% house cut):
Singles (min. 64-player bracket)
1st place - 70% (approx. $715)
2nd place - 20% (approx. $205)
3rd place - 10% (approx. $100)

Doubles (min. 32-team bracket)
1st place - 70% (approx. $550)
2nd place - 20% (approx. $150)
3rd place - 10% (approx. $80)

Crews (min. 8-crew bracket)
1st place - 70% (approx. $225)
2nd place - 20% (approx. $70)
3rd place - 10% (approx. $40)
Of course, it's the percentage that counts and those approximations vary wildly when you toy with the numbers. For instance, by adding only four teams to my estimates, the first place prize for Doubles increases to over $600.

Sound okay? If not, by all means, let me know of any concerns you might have. I am more than willing to help with travel and lodging requirements and will be actively ensuring that everyone has good lines of communication with me and all their ducks in a row before, during and after the tournament is done.

But WHY!?

Because you gotta!

Thinking about coming to this? Please post here!

I will be listing the confirmed people who are more or less sure that they are coming below, and all the "maybes/probablys" in the unconfirmed list just below that.

CONFIRMED PLAYERS

UNCONFIRMED PLAYERS

BRITISH COLUMBIA
  • ManLi
    • Manuel Cardenas - Burnaby - Marth
  • Patooty
    • Tiep Bui - Richmond - Samus
  • Dieslow
    • Tony Lee - Surrey - Marth
  • CowEar
    • Ryan Dao - Richmond - Fox
  • Hillary
    • Mat - Victoria - Zelda
  • SpyDot
    • Jodi Michaels - Vancouver - Peach
ALBERTA
  • xpiritflare
    • John Tang - Calgary
  • K Lover
    • Sean Macleod - Red Deer
  • Fox Machine
    • Gary Wu - Calgary
  • Alphicans
    • Luke Aronyk - Edmonton - Young Link
  • Beeble
    • Michael Whyte - Edmonton - Yoshi
  • Neat
    • Riley Trodd - Calgary - Samus
  • Jiangshadow
    • Pieter Parker - St. Albert - Falco
  • Nood
    • Joel Birney - Red Deer - Roy
  • Leckturn
    • Jon Nicholas - Strathmore
  • stv
    • Stephen Baden - St. Albert - Falco
  • MICH
    • Mitchell Duncan - Calgary - Ice Climbers
  • JIN
    • Christopher Daignault - Calgary - Link
  • FalseFalco
    • Carl Trautman - Edmonton
  • Shwn
    • Shawn Boyle - Edmonton - Samus
  • FastFox
    • Joel Pechler - Edmonton - Fox
  • DhMcFly
    • Dylan Hughes - Wetaskiwin - Falco
  • Spin-Dash
    • Brandon Olson - Edmonton - Fox
SASKATCHEWAN
  • ShineSmashShine
    • Corey Rachar - Saskatoon - Falco
MANITOBA

ONTARIO
  • Lone Wolf
    • - Mississauga - Mario
  • Lanowen
    • Andy Chmilenko - Mississauga - Samus
  • Greyfox5000
    • - Ottawa - Fox
QUEBEC
  • Vwins
    • Vincent Jodoin - Sainte-Thérèse - Fox
  • WarranThad
    • Robert - Montreal - Peach
  • chesterr01
    • Reggie - Montreal - Fox
  • PKMvodka
    • Jason - Donkey Kong
  • BAM
    • Max - Falco
WASHINGTON
  • Eggz
    • Shane Johns - Monroe - Mario
  • ThePrime
    • Andy Singh - Maple Valley - Falco
NEW YORK
  • 4sh0
  • Tech0
  • Grill
  • VaNz
  • Tec9
  • Starzonedge
  • Silven
CALIFORNIA
  • Delphiki
    • Ricky Cappell - Sacramento - Ice Climbers
TOTAL: 73

MARIOWNAGE

Smash Lord
Subsribing to thread, what day would the ssb64 tournament take place? Will it be a wacky / goofy tournament, or will it have a entrance fee / pot as well? [Is there still one?]

cemo

white walker
I want to come.

Let this tournament decide the best Ice Climbers in Canada. :mad:

editz~

sean dempsey - montreal - ice climbers

Blunted_object10

Smash Master
As your know ill DEFFINITLY try and come to this and bring as many BC players and help with this tournament though money and letting more people know about this tournament!

Kuriko

Smash Apprentice
You can add me as unconfirmed. It all depends if UVic decides to screw me over with the exam schedule or not.

Fox Machine

Smash Journeyman
Woohoo! Randall, you never fail to impress.

Unfortunately, I'm in the same situation as Kuriko, but I'll definitely be catching the first flight home after exams.

Vwins

Smash Ace
mmm the pot guarantee seems big enough to worth the trip. So, If I have enough money for the plane ticket and if my school finish before the 15th, I might come. All the best players from BC better come.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Oh **** son, Vwinzzzzz!!! That would be nice if you come =). Also my full name is Roustane Benzeguir - Kage - Ganondorf!!!!!!! =D Confirm me, please I will for sure save enough money for this actually I already have enough money lol.. be careful guys total annihilation will happen in Calgary.. I will show you how much I've improved since TCT! RAWR!

Elefterios

Smash Journeyman
chet posting on Elef's account:

December 15th-16th? I'm not sure I can skip my university exams. : / GAME OVER 4 CHET LAWL

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Premium
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
If there is a serious problem with university exams (since you are the third person to mention it), the plans are still flexible enough to move the entire event back one weekend to December 8th & 9th. Or would that make a difference??

Beeble

Smash Journeyman
Is it possible to move it the other way (22/23)? That way for sure for sure I won't have exams or juries. 8/9 makes it worse.

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Premium
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
I'm thinking that in terms of non-students, we're likely to lose more people moving closer to Christmas rather than the other way around. Most people tend to have family obligations and most people tend to have families that aren't in Calgary. But yes, it's possible, just not as practical overall, I don't think.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Randall. I love you.

Unconfirm me for now. Sean as well. I'll need to talk to my dad whos back
in Red Deer. Also, It would work better for me personally with 22 & 23.
23 is my birthday. =)

Victor Tran "Janitor" - Red Deer

Sean Macleod "K Lover" - Red Deer

Clever title for this too haha.

WarranThad

Smash Ace
As of now I'm fine to come for this, and most likely will =).

we should all go by choo choo

i have no alterior motives to be saying that.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Wow.. are you nuts? I'm taking the plane. And ya.. 22nd and 23rd december would be really gay for most people. Im good for either one earlier than that though.

And also that's a surprise Thad, you coming to this?

FalseFalco

Smash Master
Yeah Warran I don't think the train is very a comfortable trip, 4 and a half hours on a plane is about all I can take anyway.

WarranThad

Smash Ace
but its so... so free for me

and im so.. so poor.

and i said i was coming at tct to this.

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
One of my finals for this semester is on the 15th...

I'll try to find out what I can do...

EDIT: wtf found out that I got finals for 2 diff classes and they're both the 15th at 9:00 AM 0_o

So I guess I got a good reason to change dates lolol...

Dont put me on any list yet, gotta wait a lil while to see if I got sum chances

EDIT2: It should've been done during the stampede, I always wanted to go check it lol

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Wow. lol i think Joel's gonna **** some cement blocks when he hears about this if he hasnt already. (sexy tech-crazy
fox team. lol broken.)
Shane, are you going to gameclucks this weekend? I heard your already coming to SeattleSmash this sunday.

JAPMAN

Smash Journeyman
Add me as well. I'll try to exchange my plane tickets from the 15th to the 20th so that i can participate. So add me as unconfirmed. Ill be in Calgary.

JAPMAN
Will be in Calgary(currently Victoria)

firexemblemxpryde

Smash Lord
mmm the pot guarantee seems big enough to worth the trip. So, If I have enough money for the plane ticket and if my school finish before the 15th, I might come. All the best players from BC better come.
Lol are you joking? and miss a chance to see Mr. Vwins and RANDALL THE HERO?

I'm so there.

And so far, everyone from BC seems to want to come, and will likely come.
Um.. so housing. I have friends in Calgary/Edmonton, but I'd prefer to stay... somewhere close to smash.

Randall is the most amazing guy ever. Everr.

FalseFalco

Smash Master
EVERYBODY COME ON OVER TO KAGE'S TENT!

Yeah Edmonton peeps will probably stick together, but if some east coasters have something going for housing Edmonton's gonna try to get on that.

Eggz

Smash Hero
I got dibs on housing with West coast + pKM Vodka and chet. =D
Best combo ever xD

Everyone should google Skybus. The midwest was telling me about it, and its a really cheap plane service. It only cost them 100 bucks to fly from ohio to california, which is like half the country.

Top Bottom