• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Assist Trophies as Actual Assists

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
There really should be an option to pick one or more assist trophies before you go into a game and have them available to assist you given certain conditions are met. It would be some condolence for having characters only getting in as assist trophies, since you could use them in battle like you were teamed up with them.

BandanaDeemon

Smash Apprentice
Or a mode where you send out assist throphys or Pokémon and you watch the two assist trophy’s battle or maybe you control them

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
They should give every Assist Trophy an Amiibo and you can just use the Amiibo at any time once per match to summon the Assist. :)

ZelDan

Smash Master
This is something I've thought of and think would actually be a nice idea. maybe you'd need to build up some kind of bar, and once its full, you can send out your assist character and they'll do a certain move based on what input you put in. If the assist gets hit while out that would disrupt the attack and also temporarily freeze the bar.

It would make characters getting assist status alot easier to swallow. Even if I couldn't contro, Lyn myself, if I could have the choice to have her by my side for an entire match and atleast command what she'll do and when, that could be cool.

BonafideFella

Smash Journeyman
I had an idea of character-specific assists being a thing a long time ago, and since there's probably no other thread willing to host this topic, I created a list of each original character's possible assists, like the obsessive-compulsive freaks I am.

Mario - Cappy could split off from the main man and immobilize opponents by "capturing" them, rendering them vulnerable.
Donkey Kong - Cranky Kong could latch onto the ape's back and start swinging his mangy cane around at anyone who dare not listen to his rambling.
Link - Ravio could assist Link by attacking opponents with the rental weapons from his origin game.
Samus - Samus could summon a Demolition Trooper to shoot down the player in lead.
Yoshi - Yoshi summons the Fuzzies from that infamous level to inflict hefty paralysis upon Yoshi's enemies.
Kirby - Kirby could mound Rick to gain a nifty fire-spitting attack and one heckuva knockback decrease from attacks.
Fox - ROB 64 is summoned, with the Great Fox in tow, and unleashes laser-related havoc of Fox's opponents.
Pikachu - Butterfree is summoned, using Fly to pick up Pikachu and carry him around the battlegrounds, while Pikachu shoots Volt Balls at opponents.
Luigi - Melody Pianissima is summoned, using her jaunty haunts of tunes to create a "Negative Zone" of sorts...
Ness - Paula is summoned, creating a rainbow-colored aura around Ness to restore his health considerably.
Capt. Falcon - Samurai Goroh is summoned, acting the same as his Assist Trophy.
Jigglypuff - Mr. Mime is summoned, using Barrier to surround Jigglypuff in a forcefield, protecting it from damage for short spurts of times.

Well, that's it. I might create some more for the Melee team when Ultimate drops.

Last edited:

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Id love to see this. One thing im thinking about though is how to make sure its balanced. Cause some assist trophies are a lot more helpful than others, so theyd be picked the most. Maybe there can be a points system where you start with lets say 10 points, and you can pick assist trophies until the points are all used. So if you use assist trophies that take up fewer points, you get to pick more of them vs if you pick one that takes like 10 points, you only get to pick one. OR maybe using assists damages you, and the more useful the assist is, the more damage you take.

Swaggy-G

Smash Apprentice
It would be neat, but the whole assists would have to be redone. As they are, they are VERY unbalanced.

BonafideFella

Smash Journeyman
I had an idea of character-specific assists being a thing a long time ago, and since there's probably no other thread willing to host this topic, I created a list of each original character's possible assists, like the obsessive-compulsive freaks I am.

Mario - Cappy could split off from the main man and immobilize opponents by "capturing" them, rendering them vulnerable.
Donkey Kong - Cranky Kong could latch onto the ape's back and start swinging his mangy cane around at anyone who dare not listen to his rambling.
Link - Ravio could assist Link by attacking opponents with the rental weapons from his origin game.
Samus - Samus could summon a Demolition Trooper to shoot down the player in lead.
Yoshi - Yoshi summons the Fuzzies from that infamous level to inflict hefty paralysis upon Yoshi's enemies.
Kirby - Kirby could mound Rick to gain a nifty fire-spitting attack and one heckuva knockback decrease from attacks.
Fox - ROB 64 is summoned, with the Great Fox in tow, and unleashes laser-related havoc of Fox's opponents.
Pikachu - Butterfree is summoned, using Fly to pick up Pikachu and carry him around the battlegrounds, while Pikachu shoots Volt Balls at opponents.
Luigi - Melody Pianissima is summoned, using her jaunty haunts of tunes to create a "Negative Zone" of sorts...
Ness - Paula is summoned, creating a rainbow-colored aura around Ness to restore his health considerably.
Capt. Falcon - Samurai Goroh is summoned, acting the same as his Assist Trophy.
Jigglypuff - Mr. Mime is summoned, using Barrier to surround Jigglypuff in a forcefield, protecting it from damage for short spurts of times.

Well, that's it. I might create some more for the Melee team when Ultimate drops.
Time to bump this thread. I'm a man of my word, after all...
Princess Peach/Daisy: A swarm of Chuckyas would appear, tossing players every which~way.
Bowser: Blue Bowser could drop from the sky, acting similar to Bowser's boss fight in Super Mario Bros. (1985)
Good Doctor: Viruses could spawn before latching on to the opposition, dealing poison damage all the while.
Zelda/Sheik: Impa could appear, keeping opposition away from Zelda via multiple sword slashes.
Ganondorf: Like Likes could appear in swarms, leeching players of their health ala Melee's adventure mode.
Yink: Young Link could mount Epona, allowing increased speed and (for lack of a better word...) horsepower!
Falco: Slippy & Peppy could descend in their Arwings, before opening fire on the other players.
Mewtwo: Mew
could appear in its protective bubble whilst performing Metronome which could lead to multiple different combinations of attacks.
Pichu: Probably the same as Pikachu's...
Ice Climbers:
The Condor could descend from the sky, dropping vegetables and health items only the Ice Climbers can consume.
Marth: Sigurd could appear before unleashing a barrage of sword slashes onto the players.
Roy: Lyn appears, acting similar in function to her Assist Trophy.
Mr. Game & Watch: Snoopy Ambigious Tennis Dog with no Corporate Affiliation could appear, barraging players with tennis balls before disappearing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom