• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Aspiring ZSS main, looking for tips/guides

Pale Tuna

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sdarian
Hello everybody! I am now done with tech school and ready to invest some time into learning a new character... Zero Suit Samus! I didn't have much time in tech school to practice and never really invested time in a main. I am currently looking into using ZSS and would like tips and links to guides via Youtube. Please consider the most recent patches.

In any case, I somewhat know how she plays but she was heavily nerfed. I often have trouble landing her Nair and usage towards her Dsmash. After attending CEO, I realized that I want to get better, and choosing a main is a good way to start since my area of focus is getting better with 1 character at a time. Also, who is a good secondary that can offset ZSS's bad MU's?

skoolzout1

Smash Cadet
NNID
Skoolzout1
3DS FC
0018-2889-0858
Honestly it's tough to just tell you how to play ZSS. Everyone has their own style. Just read through these forums and see if other people asked/answered questions you may have. People make guides on here, check them out and if you have any questions that aren't answered on here, feel free to make a post after you've tried your best to find the info yourself..

In regards to a secondary to ZSS, there is a thread already about that if you search through, you'll see multiple people's opinions.

My personal opinion, I feel like ZSS has a hard time with being zoned out, as well as she has a hard time with anti air characters such as cloud Mario ness... Pretty much anyone with an invincible upsmash or disjointed attacks..

If you can use a projectile based character id recommend that. Or a sword character. It's really your own preference.

ZSS can camp kinda ish with zair and paralyzer but you won't accomplish anything if characters are throwing stuff at you.

I secondary falcon and Ike for the reasons previously mentioned.

Ike doesn't care about invincible upsmashes and can keep peopl away thanks to Ragnell. And falcon can somewhat hop over or dodge and avoid projectiles pretty decent sometimes and punish quickly.

Any more questions feel free to ask

ARX-7

Smash Rookie
A good secondairy to cover ZSS bad MU's is Mario!

Mario does very well vs pikachu which is IMO our top 2 worst match ups along with Diddy Kong. Mario does a decent job against diddy too.

I wouldn't say Kirby is a bad match up, Mario does decently against Cloud due to cape/fludd and has good throws.

The key to play ZSS decently is to know your options and know your combo strings. NAir to BAir is a must to master at any viable % and because of the nerf ZSS could do it at higher percent but rage will screw it up sometime.

Knowing how to pivot grab and ledge trump fluently will level up your game (well it did for me).

If you're still in doubt just look up NickRiddle on Youtube, he might be not as good as Nairo/Marss but his vids and insight of ZSS is really good.

Knowing all your strings isn't limited to nair>bair or uair>uair>uB, you should know for example how to convert a down smash at 28% into up air fast fall up air up air up b or down smash near the ledge into down b.

B Reverse is a great tool, ledge cancel with down down b is fancy but mostly not needed and mixing up B reverse/wavebounce makes your neutral B a lot less predictable.

Pale Tuna

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sdarian
Just a little update, I've been using ZSS a decent amount and I'm slowly getting used to her! Due to work, gym, and other games, it is hard to practice but I'll eventually get decently proficient with her! Also looking for to Izaw's Art of ZSS video that is to be released soon...

Last edited:

LouLouXz

Smash Rookie
If you still need advice for your Zero Suit, this could help you!

Top Bottom