• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Aspiring Kirby Player

Brendanjack16

Smash Rookie
Any advice for a new Kirby main, I just started playing him recently because Marth was boring me and I also liked Kirby.

D

Deleted member

Pick a better character
Play a better smash. I recommend brawl.
Oh, stop teasing him. It's good to see more people use lower-tiered characters. I, being a 56-year-old female Smasher, have recently taken in :zeldamelee: to main alongside my girl :peachmelee: myself.

Any advice for a new Kirby main, I just started playing him recently because Marth was boring me and I also liked Kirby.
Some suggestions from Grandma Shizuka:
  • It appears you have :marthmelee: experience. Do not drop him entirely; keep him as a secondary at least. Obviously he has a far superior match-up spread.
  • Do not bother using :kirbymelee:'s Hammer. There is no reason to use it. The sweetspot is a pain to land and will get you in a lot of trouble if it did not connect.
  • Some of your most important moves include u-tilt, f-air and b-air. They have a good number of uses such as spacing, edge-guards, punishes, what have you.
  • It appears that Kirby does not like to recover low. He can get spiked or edge-hogged easily this way especially since Final Cutter offers him almost no horizontal distance while also having a lackluster air speed. So, take a page from :jigglypuffmelee: or my girl Peach and recover from above. If that is not the case, use f-airs after each jump to dissuade the edge-guarder.
  • Although it is not completely necessary, Kirbycide can quickly remove stocks if your opponents gives you an opening for it. It is possible for you to prevent your SD by jumping immediately after their SD. The window is different with each character (eg. Kirbyciding a Jigglypuff gives a zero-frame window even then SD-cancelling is still possible)
  • Edge-guarding is no problem; b-air, d-air, f-smash, and d-smash are your go-to moves here.
  • Read this: Kirby Hitboxes and Frame Data
Good luck, honey. I like your character choice. I also use Kirby but as a secondary alongside :icsmelee:s.

Sayonara :kirby:

Last edited by a moderator:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
You probably already know all of what I'm about to say but if you find yourself struggling in an match-up I'd recommend watching a fellow Kirby main like Triple R play some sets against that character, don't try copying them but look at what options they use, when they're using them and why they're using them, it's a convenient way to get pointers on how to deal with neutral interactions you're struggling with. There's also a Melee Kirby discord which probably has Kirby resources somewhere, and if you haven't heard of the Melee Library yet you should probably check it out, while it doesn't have much Kirby specific things in it, it's got a lot of resources on general improvement in Melee.

Top Bottom