• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ASL on PM 3.0

Mewtwo_2000

Smash Lord
NNID
Mewtwo2ooo
3DS FC
0877-0152-2009
There's a code called Alternate Stage Loader that allows to have different versions of a stage working together. You can, like in the video below, play a version of a stage, and then select the same stage and play a different version. Well, this is the Customized Content forum, so many of you shall know of it already. You probably now that the code was made long ago by Dantarion a little before PW came with the Stage Expansion, another code to have extra stages. And maybe you even know of my ASL Tool, which makes easier to customize the ASL code.

Project M 3.0 has changed the folder where data is read/stored in the sd card. For some reason, while everything else works just fine, the ASL code doesn't work. I personally use ASL, and as a backroomer, I noticed the problem months before 3.0 was out. I tried placing the stages in the old folder while keeping the rest in the new one, but that didn't work. So I went back and stopped using the new folder. I ignored the codes that forced me to use the projectm folder and kept using /private/wii/app/rsbe/. Of course, I know things that not everybody here knows, like hexing and stuff like that.

I have a tool called GCT Fusionizer that fuses gct files to add codes from one to the other. I've updated it so it can also find codes and replace or remove them. I've made a small package with GCT Fusionizer, a code to replace, another code to remove, and 2 quick bat files to move the files from /projectm/ to the old path.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/fqw5wwo5hde2ma3/ASL for 3.0.rar

This is easy. Download the rar file. Extract the files into the 'codes' folder in your sd card. Double-click on 'move_pm_to_private.bat'. Everything in the projectm folder except for the sfx files will move into the old path. Then open gct fusionizer. It will ask you for a file. Open pm_remove.gct. Click on apply. It will ask you something, select the 'delete' option. Double-click on the '..remove.gct' in the program and you'll be asked to select a file again. Select 'pm_replace.gct' this time. Apply, select the 'replace' option, and you're done. From that moment, your Project M 3.0 will work from the old path. The 'move_private_to_pm.bat' file is there just in case you want to easily revert the folder changes and keep using the unchanged pm 3.0 code file.

After that you can download ASL Tool from here and customize your ASL code to have multiple choices on every stage. There's a tutorial for the tool here:

If you're not using the ASL code, there's no need to do any of this. If the ASL code gets updated someday, this won't be needed either. For the moment, this is the option I give you all in case you want to have alternate stages in your game.

See you around!

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
Oh em geeeeee! Thank youuuu! So this even works with the RSBE code for sound effects as well? I remember that being an issue before causing the game to freeze. Also wouldn't it be nice to have an alternate soundtrack loader that would load for certain stages?

WheelerFGC

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ocarinasonwheels
3DS FC
2020-0089-8969
Switch FC
8390-7649-9691
This is pretty cool, but I thought that for a second you were talking about American Sign Language. :facepalm:

Secretchaos1

Smash Apprentice
Mewtwo2000 you're the best. This was the last thing I couldn't get working from my old setup when I tried putting it into PM 3.0 and somehow I knew you were going to have a solution for it. Thanks so much man, love your tools. They've all been extremely helpful!

Lakitwo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lakitwo
I got the ASL to work, but now I'm getting a very strange freeze. It's not like the regular "BEEEEP" freeze. Randomly, in the middle of a match, for no reason, the game just kind of stops. The music however keeps playing. I was trying to figure out what was causing it, so I removed the ASL codes from my codeset, and I haven't had the freeze since. I really want to use the ASL, but I can't if I'm getting random, frequent freezes. I was wondering if anyone could shed some light as to what's going on or possibly offer a solution.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
I got the ASL to work, but now I'm getting a very strange freeze. It's not like the regular "BEEEEP" freeze. Randomly, in the middle of a match, for no reason, the game just kind of stops. The music however keeps playing. I was trying to figure out what was causing it, so I removed the ASL codes from my codeset, and I haven't had the freeze since. I really want to use the ASL, but I can't if I'm getting random, frequent freezes. I was wondering if anyone could shed some light as to what's going on or possibly offer a solution.

this always seemed to be a reoccurring problem for myself as well whenever I use ASL. M2 has stated before though that he doesn't seem to get freezes.

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
So, no fix then? That's a shame...
It may have something to do with extra mods you may be using, if any? I know previously it didn't work with RSBE.... However that doesn't seem to be the case now (although I haven't tried ASL with 3.0 yet). Maybe you have Stage Expansion or some other code that's causing issues?

Lakitwo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lakitwo
It may have something to do with extra mods you may be using, if any? I know previously it didn't work with RSBE.... However that doesn't seem to be the case now (although I haven't tried ASL with 3.0 yet). Maybe you have Stage Expansion or some other code that's causing issues?
I do have Stage Expansion, but I only have one extra stage. I made the Wifi Waiting Room into STGCUSTOM01 so that it wouldn't be picked by random. Is incompatibility with the Stage Expansion Code a known issue?

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
I do have Stage Expansion, but I only have one extra stage. I made the Wifi Waiting Room into STGCUSTOM01 so that it wouldn't be picked by random. Is incompatibility with the Stage Expansion Code a known issue?
I'm not 100% sure. It could be a combination of the 3 that causes the issue. Or it could just be issues between Stage Expansion and ASL... I'd imagine it is since they basically use different methods of adding extra stages into Project M.

Also... if you really wanna use ASL... There is a small trick that you can use I think to make the Training Room not selectable in random. Ummm... I forgot where I saw it... But you have to turn all the Past stages off and on again? Or the regular Brawl Stages... or both... I'll try to find where I saw that and post it here shortly.

Lakitwo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lakitwo
I'm not 100% sure. It could be a combination of the 3 that causes the issue. Or it could just be issues between Stage Expansion and ASL... I'd imagine it is since they basically use different methods of adding extra stages into Project M.

Also... if you really wanna use ASL... There is a small trick that you can use I think to make the Training Room not selectable in random. Ummm... I forgot where I saw it... But you have to turn all the Past stages off and on again? Or the regular Brawl Stages... or both... I'll try to find where I saw that and post it here shortly.
That would be awesome. Thanks for the help.

esoterics

Smash Apprentice
This is why I don't use the ASL. Whenever I try to use it the game always crashes on me. I really want to get this to work since I'd get a lot of use from it, but it doesn't seem to like me. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the way the files are loaded (homebrew vs Hackless), how the ISO is loaded (USB Loader vs Disk) or SD card size. If you're reading this M22K, know that your insight would be greatly appreciated.

Sanity's_Theif

Smash Ace
Alright I lied I guess, I had a tracklist modifier code in there that I forgot about, took that out and this works fine, except I sometimes get weird freezes where the game just stops, but the music keeps playing and there's no beep

Last edited:

Kati

Smash Lord
I just tried an hour ago. It froze half way through a match as Mewtwo taunted, so I was happy to see Amazerommu had already explained such in this thread.

Regardless of the freeze though, I couldn't even get the alt stages, battlefield_a and _b working. >____>

Mewtwo_2000

Smash Lord
NNID
Mewtwo2ooo
3DS FC
0877-0152-2009
I currently use the public 3.02 gct with STGFINAL_A, STGFINAL_B and STGFINAL_Z with no issues.

The folder has to be changed to /private/wii/app/RSBE/pf as told in the OP. That step is needed in order to make it work for Project M. The gct file has to be modified too, with both the replaced and the deleted pieces of code and GCT Fusionizer.

Wolf_

Smash Journeyman
I currently use the public 3.02 gct with STGFINAL_A, STGFINAL_B and STGFINAL_Z with no issues.

The folder has to be changed to /private/wii/app/RSBE/pf as told in the OP. That step is needed in order to make it work for Project M. The gct file has to be modified too, with both the replaced and the deleted pieces of code and GCT Fusionizer.
I tried this and it freezes randomly during a match, the music keeps going and there's no beep, but the game just stops

VideoGameScrapBook

Smash Rookie
Mewtwo2000, thanks for sharing this workaround. I know that it's got to be working for some people. Has anybody got this to work with the PM + Classic Expansion Pack without frequent freezes?

HenryZusa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HENRYZUSA
3DS FC
2793-0702-9089
I tried the tool once again, following the first post and the video tutorial STEP BY STEP.
I placed 5 different Final Destination textures.
Now Project M doesn't even boot, and the stage builder opens as if the SD was empty. I already tried defragging the SD.
Any help?

Wigls

Smash Rookie
The Project M files are usually in the Project M folder in the root of the SD card. The ASL code looks for the Project M files in a different directory, ./private/rsbe/pf/ (or something like that). Probably old news if you followed the tutorial exactly. If Project M isn't loading at the level select screen then either your RSBE01.gct wasn't updated, or you didn't move your P:M files correctly.

HenryZusa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HENRYZUSA
3DS FC
2793-0702-9089
It's not during the Level Select Screen, but the entire Project M that doesn't boot. When I enter the stage builder nothing happens, as if I hadn't inserted the SD card.
I used the .bat files that came with the download to move the P:M files, so I suposse that shouldn't be an issue

Mewtwo_2000

Smash Lord
NNID
Mewtwo2ooo
3DS FC
0877-0152-2009
As I'm not using the smash stack method for loading Project M, maybe the bat file moved accidentally the needed stage somewhere else. Make sure the stage is in /private/wii/app/rsbe/st, if it's not then move it into there.

Rage83

Smash Ace
As I'm not using the smash stack method for loading Project M, maybe the bat file moved accidentally the needed stage somewhere else. Make sure the stage is in /private/wii/app/rsbe/st, if it's not then move it into there.
The needed stage gets moved into /private/wii/app/RSBE2 . Also, is there an ISO BUILDER that can work with this?

BobbyTheBrokeMonarch

Smash Cadet
The needed stage gets moved into /private/wii/app/RSBE2 . Also, is there an ISO BUILDER that can work with this?
I tired writing one today and if I removed STGFINAL.pac from the iso I got a freeze. If I had STGFINAL.pac plus STGFINAL_A.pac and STGFINAL_B.pac I seemed to only be able to load the original. I tested through Dolphin and not the Wii if that makes a difference.

Rage83

Smash Ace
I tired writing one today and if I removed STGFINAL.pac from the iso I got a freeze. If I had STGFINAL.pac plus STGFINAL_A.pac and STGFINAL_B.pac I seemed to only be able to load the original. I tested through Dolphin and not the Wii if that makes a difference.
I found a certain method that works for custom stages in ISOs. Look for

Mewtwo_2000

Smash Lord
NNID
Mewtwo2ooo
3DS FC
0877-0152-2009
The alternate versions aren't loaded from the ISO. The original one will always get loaded if the alternate isn't found in the sd card.

If you're using stgcustoms, you can use WIT to add them to your iso and never get freezes when the alternates aren't found.

BobbyTheBrokeMonarch

Smash Cadet
Ah so ASL code only works via SD card and isn't actually possible via iso injection? Thanks for the info. I know about the custom stages thing though as I've been able to get stage expansion to work in the past I believe.

tadget

Smash Rookie
Has anyone besides Mewtwo2000 gotten this to work perfectly? Mine freezes occasionally.
Can anyone offer me a fix for this?

sparkswordkirby

Smash Cadet
How does the GCT fusionizer work exactly? I assumed since there were two premade gct files, it would delete my 3.5 gct and replace it with a 3.0 gct(that points towards the private folder instead) but it seems to have kept the 3.5 code intact, while still pointing to the private folder.
I commend you for making this solution by the way!^_^

Dr. Bran

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2062-9647-8749
How does the GCT fusionizer work exactly? I assumed since there were two premade gct files, it would delete my 3.5 gct and replace it with a 3.0 gct(that points towards the private folder instead) but it seems to have kept the 3.5 code intact, while still pointing to the private folder.
I commend you for making this solution by the way!^_^
Would you mind explaining how you got it to work with 3.5? I would be eternally grateful.

Top Bottom