• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ASL - AUSOM 6 - Auburn, AL

*Cam*

Smash Lord
AUSOM 6 Over Georgia (Tournament Videos Here)
Auburn, AL - September 8, 2012

Melee Singles:
(Bracket)
1. Fear ($24) :foxmelee::falconmelee:
2. Kismet ($12) :falcomelee:
3. TheReflexWonder ($4) :bowsermelee: :gwmelee:
4. Ryker :drmario:
5. BlindSpot :foxmelee::sheikmelee:
5. Spade :falcomelee::linkmelee:
7. M3t :sheikmelee:
7. BSL :ganonmelee:

Brawl Doubles:

(Bracket)
1. Judge Judy: Based on a True Story (TheReflexWonder :wolf: :wario: and Kismet :falco:) ($48 total)
2. Calvin (Player-1 :diddy: and DRN :diddy: :ness2:) ($24 total)
3. Censored by the Government (Billy :snake: Black Dynamite :snake:) ($8 total)
4. White People Love Smoovies (Raf and Peru :wario:)
5. Game Grumps (Ryker :falco: :ike: and M3t :gw:)
5. Captain Falcon (AML?! :gw: and Player-4 :marth:)
7. Sleeping Forest (TIGREX and Fang :toonlink:)
7. Book the Movie the Novel (Blue :wolf: and NETOmx :pikachu2:)

Brawl Singles (28 entrants):
(Pools)(Bracket)
1. TheReflexWonder :wario: :wolf: ($168)
2. Kismet :falco: ($84)
3. Mr. Moneybags Miagi (Billy) :sheik: :snake: ($28)
4. Spade :marth:
5. Raf :popo: :yoshi2: :dedede: :diddy:
5. Player-1 :diddy:
7. DRN :diddy:
7. LionArmor :fox: :marth:
9. M3t :gw:
9. Ryker :falco:
9. Cam :pikachu2:
9. AML?! :gw:
13. NETOmx :pikachu2:
13. Larry JR. :falco: :dedede:
13. Peru :wario:

Amateur Brawl Bracket (optional for those who didn't get out of pools)
(Bracket)
1. Black Dynamite :snake: ($10)
2. Tmoe :fox: :toonlink: :luigi2:
3. TIGREX :diddy: :zerosuitsamus:
4. Fang :toonlink:
5. BlindSpot :pikachu2:
5. Blue :wolf:
7. Shark :ike:
7. Player-4 :marth:
9. BSL :luigi2:
9. Food :lucario: :marth:

Wolf McBlue

Smash Journeyman
What an ausom tournament. I'm proud how far I got in Amateur bracket showing how much better I'm getting at this (also confident enough to stay as Wolf the whole time). Also I love the name I came up with for doubles. Can't wait for the next one and have another awesome photo at IHOP lol. Time for shout-outs:

@NETO: Doing Doubles with you was fun and in pools we were so close. Hope you are able to come to more tournaments.
@Reflex: I'll try and practice the button smashing you do when you get grabbed but it just feels so weird since the A button is like a weird hump.
@Spade: I wish I saw your fight against Raf but that win against DRN was such an amazing upset!
@Black Dynamite: I'm getting better against your Snake and I will conquer it soon.
@Tmoe: Your Fox is so good, I haven't fought it much but hope we can get some more matches throughout the rest of the year.
@Fang: Your TL is a terrorist with all those bombs that were out lol. I need to get more practice so I know what the heck to do.
@Shark: You seem to have caused a commotion in some of your fights. Just got to play a little safer and you will have a very, very, very deadly Ike.
@Food: Glad you were able to come and enjoy your first tournament. We will find your main and help you work on it, then the real fun begins.

Now then time for glorious bed.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
Okay, I'm glad almost everyone had a good time. I was on edge during the tournament, and I'm a little salty now. At the risk of sounding one-sided, I do need to get this off my chest.

This is the 13th or so tournament that I've had a big hand in hosting, and that's not counting OoS tournaments where I pulled a lot of weight. The reason I've grown to love AL tournaments so much is that we usually have a group of TOs ready and willing to assume responsibility for jobs that need to be done; this tournament broke from that pattern, and I was extremely irritated by it. By this point, most of us know that there's a very simple Timestamp program that has to be run during the brackets so that we can organize the replays for uploaders later. It is not a hard program to understand, but people always look confused when I show it to them. They throw their hands back and say "I don't know how to do that." Yeah right. We've done this over and over and over again. You input two players' names and the setup they are fighting on; that's it. During past tournaments, I could rely on people to watch the desk and pull their weight in helping to run the bracket and the Timestamp program. This time, when I stepped away from the desk and asked someone to watch it, I often came back to find that the desk had been abandoned. I ended up carrying the money in my pocket the entire tournament because I was afraid it would be taken while no one was watching the desk. I also found that several matches had been omitted in the Timestamp program, and I had to go personally track them down to get them recorded. I can't record things on the Timestamp program and go play my tournament matches all at the same time.

Also, at past tournaments, people could come to the desk to ask questions. It was common practice that someone knowledgeable was manning the desk at all times and wouldn't abandon it unless they could find someone to take their place, but again, not this time. This time I had people coming to me during several of my tournament matches to interrupt and ask a question related to tournament functioning. I can't be handling this while I'm in a tournament match. Until the end of the tournament when I was playing matches with Kevin (when nothing else needed to be done), I couldn't get much time without someone shouting my name. I'm used to it, but not to such an extreme degree. I don't blame the new players because who else do they know to ask if no one is at the desk? I'm mainly disappointed that the veterans didn't pull their weight in running things. No one wants to run everything all the time, and I'm not asking anyone to run things indefinitely. I just thought we had come to an understanding that we were running things together, something I didn't think I needed to explicitly state anymore.

I think part of it is that Brannon and Drew were so focused on the stream that they couldn't help much with anything else. I don't blame them either. The stream and the online bracket took a lot of work to set up, and they did a good job with it. I have heard a lot of positive comments already on the stream. But we weren't the only three veterans at the tournament.

So am I mad? No. I'm frustrated. I'm frustrated because I would like to enjoy the tournament too, just like when I come to Iron Brawl I give Ryan a reprieve or when I come to Resist I always give Drew the help he needs so that he can go play matches without worrying about the money or the bracket (at least for a decent amount of time). I'm frustrated because I feel like I'm being taken advantage of. I think when people see that I will do the work when no one else steps up, they decide that they will avoid it because I'm the safety net. I'm frustrated because I was the only one available to help players when they had questions or problems, even when I was in a tournament match. I'm frustrated because I was the only one who showed up when the venue opened in order to set up the room. And I'm frustrated because everyone seems more than happy to let me do pretty much everything on my own.

Did I have zero help during the tournament? No, that would be preposterous, I had some help. Luis, Hunter, and Brannon helped seed the brackets. Luis and Ben helped me set up some of the sd cards. Brannon and Drew did all of the livestreaming. However, during the bulk of the tournament, I felt like the only one really handling any problems or taking any initiative to keep the tournament going.

We've got a good thing going in the AL community, but I'm not eager to do the bulk of the work on my own or even with one or two other people. Unfortunately, that's the trend I've been seeing more and more in the past several weeks. I've seen a select few people that are willing to step up to the plate, and a lot of people who shirk their responsibilities as citizens of this community.

On top of that, I had several occasions where people refused to get off setups when we needed them for the tournament. If everyone does this all the time, then the tournament will run over time, and we will be kicked out, perhaps not even allowed to return for another event. It was my job to get everyone out by 10 'o' clock, which meant cleaning up by 9:30. That also meant being able to call out matches without having everyone talk over me. Admittedly, I don't have a very loud voice, but the room was uncooperative whenever I tried to announce brackets.

All of these things together made me become a real hardass in order to get things done. I don't like being that guy, and it's the type of thing that makes me want to quit TOing altogether. Half the time, I'm treated like the bad guy because I'm the one keeping the tournament on track and on schedule, and that frustrates the heck out of me. Other TOs can vouch for this problem.

Okay, rant over. I'm not giving you guys a tl;dr because tl;dr exemplifies the very attitude that has me riled up.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
so like, i know how to run TIO, and that timestamp thing didn't seem too complicated. Challonge is easy to understand.

I usually fall out of bracket damn near immediately, if i even get there. I can man the table if i'm at a tourney.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
Looks like this was a fun event. Wish I could have attended just so I could have beat spade. I'll be waiting for those vids.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Singles had a $10 entry fee, 28 entrants.

I won $168, Kismet won $84, and Billy won $28.

I'm sorry you felt like you had to carry a lot of us on your back, John. I was going between the table and a couple of interesting matches happening at the time, but I was waiting for people to finish sets before I figured outright sitting at the table was necessary. Forgot about the money and stuff.

I actually got a lot of questions and conversation, but they were mostly related to gameplay stuff (not all, but, most). I wasn't sure why people felt the need to ask you about something related to brackets when you're clearly not the only one with the ability to give information about it. In the future, it might be best to outright tell the crowd to go between a set of dedicated, helpful people who happen to be at each individual event; "your tournament, your call" might be an unsaid understanding in some people's heads.

EDIT: I didn't win with Marth in Melee. I did well against Fear with him, but, I never won any games.

Zinoto

Smash Lord
These doubles names are hilarious lol. Good stream also, very entertaining and nicely set up. AL has a nice community, really friendly and full of good sportsmanship :).

T3h Albino

Smash Master
Larry Jr. With no falco by his name? Falco/D3
Gaiss

Great tourney, glad I got to see a lot of people I haven't seen in forever =]

:phone:

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Take zero suit off my name please. I didnt win with her.
Didn't you take a game off of Spade with her or was that with Diddy?

Singles had a $10 entry fee, 28 entrants.

I won $168, Kismet won $84, and Billy won $28.

I'm sorry you felt like you had to carry a lot of us on your back, John. I was going between the table and a couple of interesting matches happening at the time, but I was waiting for people to finish sets before I figured outright sitting at the table was necessary. Forgot about the money and stuff.

I actually got a lot of questions and conversation, but they were mostly related to gameplay stuff (not all, but, most). I wasn't sure why people felt the need to ask you about something related to brackets when you're clearly not the only one with the ability to give information about it. In the future, it might be best to outright tell the crowd to go between a set of dedicated, helpful people who happen to be at each individual event; "your tournament, your call" might be an unsaid understand in some people's heads

EDIT: I didn't win with Marth in Melee. I did well against Fear with him, but, I never won any games.
I think a lot of it was that there were only the four of us out of the people that normally man the stations and none of us went out early. John ended up not being involved with the livestream, not being still in bracket, and not entering Melee beforehand.

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
Shoutouts to everyone who commentated on the livestream. I know Reflex, Kismet, & Player-1 all had a stint, but there were a few guys who I didn't learn your names. You guys stepped up and helped entertain the masses.

Also eeeeeeef diddy kong.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Nice results, good to see that AL scene is lively. I'll try to make it down here next time and test my skills :p

Tigrex777

Smash Rookie
This was a fun tourney! Not my first with the ASL, to be honest, but one of my better ones. I'm glad we came down for it.

For all those that gave me advice, thank you! I learned a lot from watching you guys.

Time for the shoutouts:
@Ryker: I'll get better at that Falco MU with Zamus. Count on it!
@Kismet: You burned down my house with your aggro, dude. I'll need to get better at handling it.
@Player-1: You showed me some truly quality Diddy play. I hope my Diddy can get to that level one day. You are amazing!
@AML: For the one set we played in friendlies, it was fun! Your G&W is insanely good! You were a chill person, too.
@Fang: Great as always. What were the chances that we would get in the same pools?! We play each other soo much, it isn't even funny!
@Shark: You seemed like you had a good Ike but you have to get better at item control if you want to face down Diddy. You could play somewhat safer, too. Other than that, you had a quality Ike.

You guys will be seeing more of me and Fang. You can count on that!

Also, I played Diddy in doubles.

NETOmx

Smash Apprentice
Nice tournament!

Definitely, I would like to come back and play another tournament. The next time I will reach a better place and I will use my second characters to achieve this.

Player-1's banana lock inspired me to learn it. I will not learn it with diddy but with pika. There is nothing that can not be done with practice :)

BlindSpot

Smash Apprentice
This was my first tournament, and an amazing one at that.
All of you were so nice, and I really felt comfortable in the matter of minutes.

I'll try to get better with pika for the next AL tournament, and WABA.

Special thanks to Ben (Spade) for taking me there, and giving me support during some of my matches. And a special thanks to John (Cam) for all of his hard work to make this an amazing tournament. Also for housing Ben and I.

Shoutouts to pretty much everyone, for making this a good experience :)

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Nice tournament!

Definitely, I would like to come back and play another tournament. The next time I will reach a better place and I will use my second characters to achieve this.

Player-1's banana lock inspired me to learn it. I will not learn it with diddy but with pika. There is nothing that can not be done with practice :)
Banana->QAC lock->Jab lock->Thunder

Going to be the most hype thing you'll ever see in Smash.

But seriously, I had a lot of fun at this one and most of you already know I appreciate you, so I'll limit my shout-outs to just a couple people.

@Fear - Thanks for playing, dude. I really enjoy Melee and just have not had anyone to play with. I really enjoyed getting to play the game this weekend.
@Peru - Jesus Christ. I was telling other people about it, but never got a chance to talk to you. You have gotten so much better in such a short time frame.
@Spade - Two things. One, good ****. Every time you win it makes me want to do better because you've managed to take the top level players in our region off of the pedestal they had previously sat on in my mind. Two, whenever I hear the "Where's Rachel?" line, it will always mean a little something more to me.

FourTy

Smash Cadet
Was a great tournament (much better than the salty spitoon tournaments, I might add.) The TOs (namely Cam, i think was his name) did an amazing job.

Shout-outs:
@AML: sorry bout doubles, but I finally got to play you in a tournament match, which just showed me how bad I actually am. You should come to GT smash on Fridays more with me and
@Lionarmor: We need to play more. maybe i can learn from your marth XD
@Player-1: you're bad.
@THEReflexWonder: Glad i got to play against you finally (even though i had no chance of winning), and I look forward to getting to play against you again.
@AlabamaSmashLeague: great stream. thanks for running the livestream, and thanks for letting me commentate for a while XD
@Zinoto, OneUpSalesman (i think was the name) and all the other viewers of the livestream: You guys were fun to commentate for, and at least gave me a bunch of questions to answer, and more importantly gave me the answers for the ones I didnt know. Zinoto, GL against P1 (he is bad).

@everyone else: it was great meeting you all, and I had a great first tournament and I can't wait for the next tournament!

Til next time
~P-4/Fourty

Top Bottom