• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[ASL] Above the Influence - Projected pot bonus of $250+!... - March 9th, 2013 - Huntsville, AL

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
March 9, 2013
Since the dawn of Smash, one of the biggest defining features of the competitive scene has been its ruleset, but over the years, we Smashers have become passive. We've accepted traditional rulesets and traditional events. But here in the Alabama Smash League we are always looking for new ways to SHAKE THINGS UP!​
So brace yourself for our latest event: ABOVE THE INFLUENCE.​
Brought to you by the TOs of the Alabama Smash League: Reflex, Cam, Ryker, PoPe, m3t, Spade, Blue, and Alias​
Huntsville AL, 35899
Schedule of Events
10:00 AM|Doors Open
10:20 AM|Signups start for everything​
11:00 AM|Signups end for Project M Singles​
11:30 AM|Project M Singles​
1:00 PM|Signups end for Brawl Singles​
2:00 PM|Brawl Singles pools​
5:30 PM|Brawl Singles bracket​
Conduct Rules
* BYOC (Bring your own controller): Players are expected to bring their own controller and be prepared for every tournament set.
* In the event pause is left on accidentally and is pressed, unless okayed by the other player, it will result in the loss of one stock for the pauser.
* During gameplay, any coaching parties must remain a finite distance determined by the TO away from the players in order to give players equal access to all coached information. * Ear-side coaching is prohibited during games, but acceptable between games. Failure to adhere to this will lead to punishment at the TO's discretion, which could include the coach's removal from the venue or a call to replay the game that the coaching interfered with.
* Players who use the Wii Remote must take the batteries out of the Wii Remote when not playing. If the Wii Remote is still synced up to a Wii with the batteries in, you could unintentionally disrupt a match. If problems persist, a DQ may happen.
* You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility (including battery issues with a Wii Remote), so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. Both parties need to agree if a match is to be paused or restarted because of these problems.
* Intentional forfeiting, match fixing, splitting, and any other forms of bracket manipulation are not allowed and punishable by the TO.
* DQ Rule: Arriving too late for a match will result in a disqualification. Player(s) will have 5 minutes to show up before a loss of the first match. 5 more minutes results in a loss of the set. For doubles, both players on a team need to be present in order to play.
The tournament organizer has the right to save/record any tournament match if possible and has the right to upload said match.
* Disrupting your opponent physically or intending to disrupt their play (through something such as screaming in a player's ear) will result in punishment at the TO's discretion, which could include disqualification and/or ejection from the venue.

Rulesets
Project M Singles
* 4 stock, 8 minutes.
* Sets are best of 3. Finals are best of 5.
* Items set to "off" and "none."

* Either player may call for a Double Blind character selection for the first match.
* Dave's Stupid Rule: A player may not counterpick to any stage stage s/he has won on in the current set.

* Controller port is determined by Rock Paper Scissors if it can't be agreed upon.
* Pausing during a match, unless okayed by the other player, will result in the loss of one stock for the pauser.

* If time runs out, the person with the most stock left (or least % if they are equal) wins. If the % is equal as well, play a 1 stock 3 minute match, same characters and stage.
* If the match goes to sudden death due to a suicide move (Ganon's side-B, Kirby/DDD's swallow, holding someone in a grab on a platform as it moves out of the boundaries, etc.), the one who initiated the move wins.

* Buffer set to off.
* Custom controls are allowed, but controllers modified to enhance performance are not. No turbo buttons, etc. However, removing the springs from shoulder buttons or replacing a thumbstick with a different thumbstick are ok.
* In the event that the game crashes or the TV/Wii loses power in the middle of a match, that match will be restarted from the beginning with the same characters and stage. If a player uses a known glitch to intentionally crash the game or otherwise make it unfinishable, that player may be forced to forfeit the match or be DQed at the TO's discretion.

* No excessive stalling (this includes abusing Jiggs' Rising Pound and Mario's Up-B Walljump)
* Both players may agree to any rule or stage outside the tournament ruleset.

Stagelist:
For the first match, stage strike the starter list in 1-2-2-1-1-2 fashion. After the first match, each player bans a stage group for the remainder of the set (players may counterpick a stage from the group they banned, and both players may ban the same group). The player who lost the previous match chooses a stage, then the player who won chooses their character, then the player who lost chooses their character.
Starters:​
Battlefield​
Final Destination​
Smashville​
Pokemon Stadium 2​
Dreamland (64)​
Fountain of Dreams​
Yoshi's Story (Melee)​
Counterpicks:​
Group 1:​
Final Destination​
Smashville​
Dracula's Castle​
Green Hill Zone​
Group 2:​
Battlefield​
Pokemon Stadium 1​
Pokemon Stadium 2​
Group 3:​
Yoshi's Story (Melee)​
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)​
Wario Ware​
Fountain of Dreams​
Group 4:​
Dreamland (64)​
Skyworld​
Rumble Falls​
Group 5:​
Kongo Jungle (64)​
Halberd​
Brinstar​
Metal Cavern (Singles only)​
Brawl Singles

* 3 Stocks
* 8 Minute Time Limit
* Items set to "Off" and "None"
* Pause set to "Off"
* Meta Knight is banned. In the event Meta Knight is used via random character select, the match shall be restarted on the same stage until Meta Knight is not present.
* All infinites and chain grabs are legal.
* There is a 50 Ledge Grab Limit for all characters. If a game goes to time and one player goes over the Ledge Grab Limit for their character, they will automatically lose the game. If both players exceed their Ledge Grab Limit, then this rule is ignored.
* The act of stalling is banned: stalling is intentionally making the game unplayable: Such as becoming invisible, continuing infinites, chain grabs, or uninterruptible moves past 300%, and reaching a position that your opponent can never reach you.
* Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
* If the Ledge Grab Limit does not declare one player the winner, the winner will be declared by what the game says in all situations, except for when players are presented with sudden death.
* In the event of a match going to time, the winner will be determined by who has less percent (stock difference still takes priority but will be shown in the results screen).
* If the match ends with both players dying at the same time (either coincidentally or via suicide move) or if time ran out with both players at equal percent, a one stock three minute rematch will be played on the same stage. For a tie-breaker match, a Ledge Grab Limit of 18 is used for all characters.

Determining Player Priority
* If there is a dispute in controller port selection or initiating Stage Strike, players will use a random method such as Rock-Paper-Scissors, Coin Flip, or Game and Watch Judgment, where the winner selects either first choice in port selection or first choice in stage striking. Whichever team does not receive first choice in port selection will be compensated with first choice in stage striking.

Set Procedure:
For the first match, stage strike the list in 2-2-2-2-1-2-1 fashion. After losing their first game, the losing player can choose to ban two stages for the remainder of the set. The player who lost the previous match chooses a stage, then the player who won chooses their character, then the player who lost chooses their character.

Stagelist:​
Battlefield​
Final Destination​
Smashville​
Lylat Cruise​
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)​
Castle Siege​
Pokémon Stadium 1​
Pokémon Stadium 2​
Halberd​
Delfino Plaza​
Frigate Orpheon​
Norfair​
Rainbow Cruise​
Price and Payouts
Prices
Venue fee: $5​
Project M Singles: $10​
Brawl Singles: $10​
Brawl Singles Payouts
+$150 starting pot bonus, but the bonus is dynamic. More people = larger bonus. 40 entrants = $200, 50 = $250, 60 = $300, etc.)​
1st place: 50%​
2nd place: 25%​
3rd place: 10%​
4th place: 5%​
5th place: 3% (x2)​
7th place: 2% (x2)​
Project M Singles Payouts
1st place: 50%​
2nd place: 25%​
3rd place: 15%​
4th place: 5%​
5th place: 2.5% (x2)​
Livestream
Recording
As expected, we will be using the tried-and-true Alabama recording setup that has served us well for a year and a half (many of you saw it at WABA or Get Hype). We will be recording every bracket match and uploading it to YouTube within 2 weeks after the event. There's a link to our channel at the very bottom of the OP.​
Project M is incompatible with the replay system, so we will be limited to a few setups using capture cards. We'll try to get as many exciting matches as possible--Bringing a capture card setup would be greatly appreciated!​
Housing
If you need housing, UAH is offering $15 per night housing on campus. The rooms are big enough to fit two people each although each one only has one mattress. BRING YOUR OWN BEDDING.​
Also, you can reserve housing ONLY IF YOU PRE-REGISTER.​
The housing setup is actually made up of nice little suites with four rooms each (though each individual room is what you pay for; the suite is just a commons area).​
Pre-registration is available here. Pre-registration is free, only takes a minute, and helps us keep prospects up-to-date.​

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Players
The more players show up, the larger the pot bonus!
____Tag____|_Brawl_|_Project M_|_Confirmed_|Region
Cam|Yes|No|Yes|AL​
Metmetm3t|Yes|Yes|Yes|AL​
TheReflexWonder|Yes|Yes|Yes|AL​
Ryker|Yes|Yes|Yes|AL​
BSL|Yes|Yes|Yes|AL/LA​
Fang|Yes|No|Yes|AL​
Spade|Yes|No|Yes|AL​
AwakenedM|Yes|Yes|Yes|AL​
Blue|Yes|No|Yes|AL​
TIGREX|Yes|No|Yes|AL​
Ty!|Yes|Yes|Yes|AL​
Blind|Yes|No|Yes|AL​
Trix|Yes|No|Yes|AL​
Cheap|No|Yes|Yes|AL​
Slam|Yes|No|Yes|AL​
TML|Yes|No|Yes|AL​
Yuji|Yes|No|Yes|AL​
TheBrownScourge|Yes|No|Yes|AL​
Nikota|Yes|No|Yes|AL​
Epicwind|Yes|Yes|Yes|AL​
Dynamike1337|Yes|No|Yes|AL​
Alias|Yes|No|Yes|AL​
TRAIN|Yes|No|Yes|AL​
zorcak|Yes|No|Yes|AL​
Twilcario|Yes|Yes|Yes|AL​
WumpusKing|Yes|Yes|Yes|AL​
Loxel|Yes|No|Yes|AL​
gyratemussel|Yes|No|Yes|AL​
Scar7|Yes|No|Yes|AL​
fleetfox|Yes|Yes|Yes|AL​
BigRed|Yes|No|Yes|AL​
Deskam|Yes|Yes|Yes|AL​
Eikelmann|Yes|Yes|Yes|FL​
Ereth|Yes|Yes|No|FL​
Majora88|No|Yes|Yes|FL​
Hashtag|No|Yes|Yes|FL​
Player-1|Yes|No|Yes|GA​
DP|No|Yes|Yes|GA​
Gadiel_VaStar|Yes|Yes|Yes|GA​
BigLou|Yes|No|Yes|GA​
LionArmor|Yes|No|Yes|GA​
Umby|Yes|No|Yes|GA​
Flow|No|Yes|Yes|GA​
Raziek|Yes|Yes|No|Nova Scotia
Talon|Yes|No|Yes|TN​
Nova 9|Yes|No|Yes|TN​
KOKingpin|No|Yes|Yes|TN​
Mr. Pickle|No|Yes|Yes|TN​
Fatchu|Yes|Yes|Yes|TN​
Tatsumaki|Yes|No|Yes|TN​
Kman|Yes|Yes|Yes|TN​
JTMerrell|Yes|Yes|Yes​
Total:|45|25|50​
Setups
We need setups. The more setups we have, the better the experience we'll all have.
__Person__|___TV___|_Wii+Brawl_|Project M SD card|
UAH|10|0|0​
ASL|0|0|16 (if needed)​
TheReflexWonder|2|1|1​
Cam|1|1|0​
Player-1|1|1|0​
Metmetm3t|1|1|1​
DP|1|1|1​
BSL|1|1|1​
Fang|0|1|0​
AwakenedM|0|1|0​
Blue|1|1|0​
Ryker|1|1|0​
Gadiel_VaStar|0|1|1​
Strong Bad|0|1|1​
Cheap|1|1|1​
KOKingpin|1|1|1​
Ereth|1|1|0​
Slam|1|0|0​
Yuji|1|1|0​
TheBrownScourge|1|0|0​
Mr. Pickle|0|1|1​
Epicwind|1|1|1​
Raziek|1|1|1​
Fatchu|1|1|1​
JTMerrell|1|1|1​
Twilcario|0|1|0​
WumpusKing|1|1|1​
Majora88|0|1|1​
Hashtag|1|1|1​
Total:|31|25|32​

PrinceAlias

Smash Journeyman
Reserved for Levi things that might have nothing to do with the tournament....but equally fantastic as the last two posts

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
This is NOT turning into a spam thread. I am not afraid to infract people.

Ask questions! Speculate about how much of a gap I will win by!

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Interested. If I get more into/better at Brawl, I'll try to come up to this. I'm sure the Orlando guys will try and come, too, so maybe we can carpool.

No Melee side tournament? :c
It would be good to see you again.

A lot of stuff is in the interest of time right now. That's why we aren't officially doing Doubles for anything. Also, we figured this would garner the most support overall for how much time we have.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
As long as Georgia has a car I will probably be coming to this.

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
I want to be there! But I probably can't be.

But I want to!

Edit: not liek im hype or n e thing lol

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
Will be there. Will be entering both. Have a TV and a ****ty Wii+Brawl combo.

Can have an PM card if necessary.

Luis, you should totally get National Replay Project compatible PM codesets.

Would be swag.

:phone:

JudgeJudy

Smash Rookie
Alright dirtbags, no more playing around. Judge judy is in the building. I'm going to lay the smackdown on you fools. Court is now in session. You may be above the influence, but by the end of this tournament you will all be under my gavel of justice.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
Mr. ReflexWonder

What do you think about the PM Replay Codes? Would be super swag.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
We can't do that because replays don't save correctly on Project M. Only the WiFi build correctly saves replays, and that's technically different from the PM people are used to playing (as it changes the way the pressure works on the shoulder buttons), so we can't use it.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Talk to the PMBR about it. With all the fuss about 2.5, there isn't as much of a push for fixing that.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
I'm definitely keeping my eye on this, because AtlSouth, MK-banned, and P:M are all awesome.

So far away from Emory though, and the cost of travel for just one weekend :(

:059:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
If you can Megabus to Atlanta, Montgomery, or Birmingham, someone could probably take care of you over the span of Friday to Sunday.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I'll see if someone coming from that area, such as DRN or Player-1, would be willing to scoop you up.

This is definitely not open to a lot of people. Also, first-come, first-serve.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
Yeah, I do want to make clear that we will not be a ferrying service for everyone. Just because you show up at the Megabus station in Atlanta or Birmingham does not mean someone will necessarily drive down and pick you up. You need to arrange it first. There are a few people that are willing to pick people up and take them to the tournament, but they won't be going back and forth. It's an hour and a half between the venue and the nearest Megabus station. It wouldn't be practical for us or you guys to make multiple trips to pick people up.

But as I said, some people have to go through Birmingham, Chattanooga, or Atlanta and would be willing to provide rides.

EDIT: Also, if people do take the Greyhound to Huntsville, then we WILL organize cars to come pick you guys up and get you to the venue. You still need to let us know though. Otherwise, we can't plan for it.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Look at Greyhound from Birmingham/Montgomery/Atlanta. I would definitely recommend looking at it if you don't find a ride. I'm planning on picking up from Montgomery or Birmingham, but I'm not planning on coming back and getting a second load.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
If you can Megabus to Atlanta, Montgomery, or Birmingham, someone could probably take care of you over the span of Friday to Sunday.
Busing all the way from NJ is not feasible at all, as far as time goes :/ Flights are $300 to Huntsville/Birmingham even when looking this far in advance from EWR/JFK/LGA. Driving to Baltimore and flying from there is even more expensive for some reason.

Best option is flying into Atlanta for ~$200 and then having someone help me out from there, it seems... any other suggestions for more time- and cost-effective options?

:059:

*Cam*

Smash Lord
I have no idea Ishieymoro. I'm looking into some fundraising options to stipend players coming from far away, but I make no promises.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
No. Flying to Atlanta WILL be cheaper. You can catch a Megabus from Atlanta to Birmingham for a dollar if there's no ride there. If there's no ride from Birmingham, then there's a Greyhound to Huntsville for $20 maybe? I don't know the exact Greyhound prices if you catch it from a ways out.

Wolf McBlue

Smash Journeyman
Ish you thought about trying train? Head down to Atl or somewhere close and then hitch a ride or megabus? It might take a little bit longer for the ride but might be cheaper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom