• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Ask the Princess: Peach FAQ and Q&A

PeachBooty

Smash Apprentice
I think you are right, I picked up Peach after the patch though, so I only heard people say stitch didn't kill, and I didn't try it pre-patch. It has a lot of knockback now.
I've KOd with stichfaces far before the patch multiple times.

Monkley6

Smash Journeyman
How are you guys using fair with float these days, are you taking the land lag, staying afloat with it, or just not committing to it? It hurts to see it lose it's godlike autocancel =(

marc0polo

Smash Cadet
NNID
NoticeMeKohai
How are you guys using fair with float these days, are you taking the land lag, staying afloat with it, or just not committing to it? It hurts to see it lose it's godlike autocancel =(
I feel like fair autocancels just fine for me. Perhaps you're fastfalling it?

Monkley6

Smash Journeyman
In brawl it was out frame 16-19 and canceled on 20. According to the frame data for her current iteration, it doesn't autocancel until frame 41. I'm used to being able to get away with really low fairs, or immediately landing afterwards but that is not such now :(

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
All of the above, and shorthopping it, or fullhopping it against airborne opponents. In Brawl (and probably Melee too) floating a bit higher than your opponent and then doing a Fair was probably the best thing to do, in Smash 4 there is no "best", all of them have it's uses.

If you want to do a dropping float Fair you will suffer from lag, but since shield grabs have been nerfed in this game on top of Fair having a lot of range and seemingly also some shield stun, a decently spaced Fair could (or should) go unpunished.

marc0polo

Smash Cadet
NNID
NoticeMeKohai
In brawl it was out frame 16-19 and canceled on 20.
Ahh yes. Sorry I thought you meant that it had been changed compared to last patch (as opposed to compared to brawl). My bad!

In SSB4, Peach's shorthop fair will autocancel if you fair immediately and don't fastfall it. (As an aside, does anyone know how many frames Peach's shorthop lasts?). It's still useful for zoning due to its long reach, but it has a bit of startup lag, which you might also want to look out for.

Another option you could try would be to hold your float like you suggested. If you drop your float just as she's putting her crown back on her head it should autocancel.

marc0polo

Smash Cadet
NNID
NoticeMeKohai
Dark.pch can probably add to this, but I generally find peach bomber to be fast enough to be used as a zone breaker (0:45 of this video explains it fairly well). I have no doubt that better players than I would be able to find more creative uses for it... like extending combos, or connecting strings, or recovery mix ups etc..

Last edited:

Ravine

Smash Journeyman
How would one deal with Shulk? I usually take him to the air and juggle him there since he's so helpless and even more helpless when landing, but I fear the day when I face a good Shulk is the day I get 2 stocked. :dizzy:

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
@ Dark.Pch Dark.Pch since you made a custom combo video which has a lot of flower bomber in it, what do you use it for?
Im not sure what you are asking me

Dark.pch can probably add to this, but I generally find peach bomber to be fast enough to be used as a zone breaker (0:45 of this video explains it fairly well). I have no doubt that better players than I would be able to find more creative uses for it... like extending combos, or connecting strings, or recovery mix ups etc..
It can be used at a certain range after wiffing a move to punish as a zone breaker.

You can also combo into it and get a stock off.

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
I wish Peachs customs were.....idk the word but, I mean they are good, but it can be difficult IMO to find like, the best set.
The turnips are decent each having their own use, the bombers can be difficult to choose from, but are also decent nonetheless, her Up specials I think her normal one is pretty much better and the other two are arguably near useless.
The toads? Well.....each have their own use, but grumpy toad deals low damage and knockback even if it comes out automatically, but sleepy toad is a high risk ugh reward thing, but on some MUs I'm sure it would be really good, particularly rush down characters I bet.

Idk what would be the best set, I wish I wasn't so inexperienced with customs.
Although by how they sound, I think the interesting set IMO would be
Sleepy toad, rising bomber?(can't remember name), normal Parosal, and.......I a go with light veggies

Babatunde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BABS!
3DS FC
2938-7558-8507
I def love using light veggies against Kirby, zones him p well. As for toad I just stick with normal cause it seems good enough.

Admiral_Dante

Smash Apprentice
Can someone please link me to the turnip pull percentages? I'm playing peach on the side and just want to know how often to expect certain things. Looking forward to learning a more technical character.

Peachkid

Smash Champion
NNID
Peachkid
3DS FC
0791-2008-8754
Bloody hell Flower Bomber is absolutely terrible. All of you, please, don't use it.
Yes, yes yes yes yes.

If y'all didn't listen to Mikey and I when we analyzed that move back in the 3ds days, listen to Rick, for the love of god listen to Rick. The move is utter crap. I would choose the mediocrity that is 1111 Palutena over flower bomber any day.

Sorry, now back to your regularly scheduled programme

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Sup, Peach Mains? Just dropped by to ask a few questions cause this character sort of intrigues me and I don't hear much talk about her or know very many people in my region who play her:
  1. What's the general consensus of where she stands on the tier list? Where do you feel she belongs?
  2. How exactly does she play and what are her main strengths and weaknesses? What characters would give her the hardest times?
  3. Does she have a high learning curve? I myself don't plan on picking her up, but my cousin si new to the game and might want to after she gets the basic fundamentals down.
I know of no one in my region that mains her, and I don't think most Peaches I've met are any good fundamentally, so I basically know very little about her.

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
Sup, Peach Mains? Just dropped by to ask a few questions cause this character sort of intrigues me and I don't hear much talk about her or know very many people in my region who play her:
  1. What's the general consensus of where she stands on the tier list? Where do you feel she belongs?
  2. How exactly does she play and what are her main strengths and weaknesses? What characters would give her the hardest times?
  3. Does she have a high learning curve? I myself don't plan on picking her up, but my cousin si new to the game and might want to after she gets the basic fundamentals down.
I know of no one in my region that mains her, and I don't think most Peaches I've met are any good fundamentally, so I basically know very little about her.
1. At least High Tier
2. Her strengths are Mix ups, Pressure, Damage Racking, and Combos. Her main weakness is her sluggishness which makes her easy to camp.
3. Probably the highest one in the game. I made a huge guide so show this to your cousin. http://smashboards.com/threads/the-fairest-of-them-all.407239/

Pippu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BaffDurtum
3DS FC
4468-1508-6788
1- She is solid B+
2-She likes to create pressure, all about mixing up gameplay, and has imo the best combos in the game. MU's that give her a lot of trouble are Yoshi, Sonic, and Megaman.
3- She had the biggest learning curve in the game before Ryu came out. I recommend your cousin reading up on any guide they can get their hands on. Dark.Pch has some excellent ones for any level of player

PeachBooty

Smash Apprentice
1- She is solid B+
2-She likes to create pressure, all about mixing up gameplay, and has imo the best combos in the game. MU's that give her a lot of trouble are Yoshi, Sonic, and Megaman.
3- She had the biggest learning curve in the game before Ryu came out. I recommend your cousin reading up on any guide they can get their hands on. Dark.Pch has some excellent ones for any level of player
I agree with most of this, but I think Megaman is one of her easiest match-ups imo. Float punish projectiles, Bair also beats projectiles, easy to bait his anti-airs for more free punishes, easy to kill, easy to gimp, very easy to combo, and he doesn't have any real advantages over Peach, since he can't really juggle, and he's not that fast. I have yet to really fight a good one though. The only zoning character that annoys me is Toon Link because of diagonal boomerang, most of his moves are safe, and he gets a free shield grab off of well spaced aerials because of hook-shot. Although, I still don't think Peach really has any stand-out bad match-ups overall.

Pippu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BaffDurtum
3DS FC
4468-1508-6788
I agree with most of this, but I think Megaman is one of her easiest match-ups imo. Float punish projectiles, Bair also beats projectiles, easy to bait his anti-airs for more free punishes, easy to kill, easy to gimp, very easy to combo, and he doesn't have any real advantages over Peach, since he can't really juggle, and he's not that fast. I have yet to really fight a good one though. The only zoning character that annoys me is Toon Link because of diagonal boomerang, most of his moves are safe, and he gets a free shield grab off of well spaced aerials because of hook-shot. Although, I still don't think Peach really has any stand-out bad match-ups overall.
imo peach's worst mu is Sonic

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
As a Mega Main, I'm gonna have to say no to this, I think we're the ones who win this honestly. Peach is pretty slow on the ground and our lemons and metal blades can keep you out fairly easily if you don't float, and it cancels out your turnips as well. Even if you do float, I can still anti air with lemons, fair, bair (which outprioritizes most other aerials in the game with a huge hitbox), and even Uair as long as I space them precisely. You need to be up close and personal to exploit your massive combo game and everything and Mega Man's not a character who's gonna allow that so easily. And we can't juggle and we're easy to gimp & kill? Lol wut? Well then, you should say hello to our Uair (aka Air Shooter), can lead into it from a dthrow, shorthop with it (can jump up combo with another uair or bair), frame trap your air dodges, and it does a terrific job of killing floaty characters like Peach due to its properties. Good luck gimmping us when we've got above average weight and our Rush Coil is much better than he looks as a recovery, we can mix it up by UpBing first before double jumping and guard it to an extent by using crash bombs and metal blades.

Imo, Mega Man only has a handful of bad MUs (:4sheik::4falcon::4pacman::4fox:, potentially :4greninja::4lucario::4olimar::rosalina::4pit::4darkpit:), non of whom are instant doomsday, and despite my limited experiences with Peach, I don't think she's nearly as bad as any of them.

Ravine

Smash Journeyman
Does stitch face kill?
I'm asking since I haven't killed with a stitch face yet even when the enemy is at a high percentage, yet I've killed with that turnip that has one eye closed. :glare: What is going on here.

XinShot

Smash Apprentice
Does stitch face kill?
I'm asking since I haven't killed with a stitch face yet even when the enemy is at a high percentage, yet I've killed with that turnip that has one eye closed. :glare: What is going on here.
Stitch face is more about damage than knockback. It got significantly nerfed imo. It wont kill but it's an easy 30% in damage. It also deals a ton of sheild stun.

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
So what combos should I mostly try to do as Peach?
at low percents I love to use her dtilt to start combos, and I sometimes go for a Dtilt -> Float -> Nair -> Dtilt -> Float -> Uair and even get some more possible hits(I hate using the Gamepad compared to the GCC so I have the tendancy to easy screw up floating or doing an ariel by air dodging at times.)
I use her grab sometimes as well and try to get an Ftilt/Bair on them, but theres not much more she can get from it, if any at all.

I met a fantastic Peach online who used their turnip game so efficiently and creatively morose then i ever known.
I never knew how well it could work with combos while still being able to possibly re-catch it.
I generally use them for hitting recovering opponents, some fake outs, or throwing 2 in the air, catching one and throwing it at the opponent then catch the other and do the same, or catch and throw the first one away and catch and throw the second one at them. I know i could use it to my advantage when they shield, acting like ill hit them, but idk how exactly.

Meanwhile I would like to ask a better use of Bair? People use it to weave in and out like wisping ive heard? how is this helpful and what advantage does this have over her other ariels? I mean in my eyes, its rather poor because of its high ending/landing lag and small range and not too great of knockback, but i have heard there is other uses for it.(I know how to auto-cancel it so you dont need to say that)

I mainly wanna know how to use her turnips better, because I feel like I can, though the other tips would also be nice

Monkley6

Smash Journeyman
Any tips or advice on a projectile-happy Toon link?
Bombs are the devil, when coupled with boomerangs and such.

Ravine

Smash Journeyman
How I do it:
Keep up the pressure and keep following, weaving in an out of his projectile trajectories with float & dash. Float is a blessing here, but I don't know if you'd want a float mid-projectile range as TL can followup if you get hit. Mix up your movement a lot and keep moving. You can avoid all of it with float from far away, but don't bet on TL approaching anytime soon. :urg:

Practice power shielding cuz honey without it you will rack up so much damage. You have your own turnips, so play with that if you have the time, and is useful if you want to get in. It's a tough game for Peach since TL can just run away and if you get too reckless you rack up too much damage :facepalm:

Meanwhile I would like to ask a better use of Bair? People use it to weave in and out like wisping ive heard? how is this helpful and what advantage does this have over her other ariels? I mean in my eyes, its rather poor because of its high ending/landing lag and small range and not too great of knockback, but i have heard there is other uses for it.(I know how to auto-cancel it so you dont need to say that)

B-air is excellent spacing tool. I use it to keep people, who don't mind my space, in check. It also comes out really fast and is good OOS.

Last edited:

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
Be patient when approaching him. You have more option than you'd think. You can run, walk, float, mix all of these and use turnips. Walking is usually the safest option, walk a lot in this match-up.

Look for a pattern in his projectiles. Of course you don't have to remember his entire projectile pattern during, but Toon Links tend to have certain habits when throwing projectiles. For example, many Toon Links like to immediately throw their Boomerang after picking a bomb, especially if you're in the air. Look for habits like these. (Actually, every player has a pattern regardless of their character, but with Toon Link players it's maybe a bit easier to read.)

The Toon Links I fight almost never jump and throw the bomb. They always ground throw it for some reason, and instead try anti-airing me by using Boomerang, by trying to punish my landing, or by throwing the bomb away and then doing aerials. I don't know why they don't throw their bombs in the air, but it does leave them with some holes in their game. Abuse holes like these. Peach can attack from a lot of angles, stay where he doesn't want you to stay. Positioning is key in this match-up!

His main kills moves are Usmash, Fair/Bair (Fair is stronger but slower, usually combos from a bomb), Uair and Bthrow. I think his Utilt can kill suprising early as well. Usmash is unsafe. His grab is slow but has very good range, don't underestimate the range of it. If he misses, it's a free punish.

Fair outranges a lot of his stuff and is very scare but don't forget you fast aerials such as Bair and Nair. Uair works wonder against jump happy Toon Links, but be careful you don't get bombed or Daired.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
Sorry I somehow missed your post.

So what combos should I mostly try to do as Peach?
at low percents I love to use her dtilt to start combos, and I sometimes go for a Dtilt -> Float -> Nair -> Dtilt -> Float -> Uair and even get some more possible hits(I hate using the Gamepad compared to the GCC so I have the tendancy to easy screw up floating or doing an ariel by air dodging at times.)
I use her grab sometimes as well and try to get an Ftilt/Bair on them, but theres not much more she can get from it, if any at all.
The best way to find out her combos is to use her in Training mode and find combos for yourself. Other than I advise you to watch vids of other Peaches and EOE's excellent combo tutorial (or similar things). To help you out, her best combo starters are floating Dair, shorthop Dair, ground float Nair, ground float Uair (although a jumping Uair can work too, it has more lag than a ground float Uair), Dtilt and Dthrow. Even moves that don't combo still leave the opponent in a very good position for you to pressure (Bair, Fair, turnips etc.).

Anyway, as you can see a lot of moves can combo at low percents, which means you can convert into a combo when you get one hit in. Instead of constantly trying to hit with "that one combo starter" (for example Dair), you can also play a more spacing oriented playstyle, and then when you get one hit in (for example a ground float Nair), you can convert to a combo (in this case, do a dash attack/dash grab > Dthrow > Bair). Both "fishing for that one combo starter" and "converting to combos as they come" are valid strategies, but I feel the latter strategy makes you less predictable because you're making use of more moves and thus makes you play safer.

Learn her basic combos. Most of them are in EOE's vids but her basic combos are not hard to discover for yourself in Training Mode. Train yourself to immediately convert to a combo when you get one hit it. So, for example, when you get a Dair in, you should be trained enough to react with the appropriate follow-up (shorthop/don't shorthop,Nair/Fair/Bair/Uair, etc), or when you get a ground float Uair in, you should be able to immediately follow-up for another jumping Uair, or when you get a ground float Nair in, you should be prepared to follow up with a dash attack or dash grab, or when you get a Dtilt in, you should be prepared to follow up with... well anything you like, etc etc etc.
I met a fantastic Peach online who used their turnip game so efficiently and creatively morose then i ever known.
I never knew how well it could work with combos while still being able to possibly re-catch it.
I generally use them for hitting recovering opponents, some fake outs, or throwing 2 in the air, catching one and throwing it at the opponent then catch the other and do the same, or catch and throw the first one away and catch and throw the second one at them. I know i could use it to my advantage when they shield, acting like ill hit them, but idk how exactly.
Turnips are a good and fast spacing tool that leave you at advantage. Turnips are really good, and no Peach uses her turnips game to her fullest potential. I myself probably have the worst turnip game here. These things are really scary though because they allow you to control space and opponents don't want to get hit by them because, even if turnips don't have a huge reward, it still leaves them at a disadvantage. It eats approaches (Meta Knights hate it), is safe against wallers (Nesses hate it), forces approaches (Ganondorfs hate it), punishes landings (Yoshis hate it), allows you to approach (Sheiks hate it) and much more. Furthermove, jumping turnip throw combos either into a Nair if they're close to you or a Fair if they far from you (the latter one is possible at kill percents!!). Floating > dropping your float > turnip throw while landing > Dash Attack combos, although it can be incosistent to get at kill percents depending on spacing, timing and your opponents weight/fall speed. So many things to use... Your question made me realize there's too much about turnips we don't know yet.

[/quote]

Wasping was a Brawl tactic and is not in Smash 4.

Bair is a MUST USE. Ground float Bair does indeed have fair share of landing lag but it's fast the range is insane. It's an excellent out of shield option. Short hop Bair is simply amazing because it's safe, fast, has range and and can kill. Use shorthop Bairs more and you'll understand what's good about it. If your don't use Bair (or Nair), you're not making use of any of her fast aerials. Fast characters will overwhelm you.

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
Sorry I somehow missed your post.

The best way to find out her combos is to use her in Training mode and find combos for yourself. Other than I advise you to watch vids of other Peaches and EOE's excellent combo tutorial (or similar things). To help you out, her best combo starters are floating Dair, shorthop Dair, ground float Nair, ground float Uair (although a jumping Uair can work too, it has more lag than a ground float Uair), Dtilt and Dthrow. Even moves that don't combo still leave the opponent in a very good position for you to pressure (Bair, Fair, turnips etc.).

Anyway, as you can see a lot of moves can combo at low percents, which means you can convert into a combo when you get one hit in. Instead of constantly trying to hit with "that one combo starter" (for example Dair), you can also play a more spacing oriented playstyle, and then when you get one hit in (for example a ground float Nair), you can convert to a combo (in this case, do a dash attack/dash grab > Dthrow > Bair). Both "fishing for that one combo starter" and "converting to combos as they come" are valid strategies, but I feel the latter strategy makes you less predictable because you're making use of more moves and thus makes you play safer.

Learn her basic combos. Most of them are in EOE's vids but her basic combos are not hard to discover for yourself in Training Mode. Train yourself to immediately convert to a combo when you get one hit it. So, for example, when you get a Dair in, you should be trained enough to react with the appropriate follow-up (shorthop/don't shorthop,Nair/Fair/Bair/Uair, etc), or when you get a ground float Uair in, you should be able to immediately follow-up for another jumping Uair, or when you get a ground float Nair in, you should be prepared to follow up with a dash attack or dash grab, or when you get a Dtilt in, you should be prepared to follow up with... well anything you like, etc etc etc.

Turnips are a good and fast spacing tool that leave you at advantage. Turnips are really good, and no Peach uses her turnips game to her fullest potential. I myself probably have the worst turnip game here. These things are really scary though because they allow you to control space and opponents don't want to get hit by them because, even if turnips don't have a huge reward, it still leaves them at a disadvantage. It eats approaches (Meta Knights hate it), is safe against wallers (Nesses hate it), forces approaches (Ganondorfs hate it), punishes landings (Yoshis hate it), allows you to approach (Sheiks hate it) and much more. Furthermove, jumping turnip throw combos either into a Nair if they're close to you or a Fair if they far from you (the latter one is possible at kill percents!!). Floating > dropping your float > turnip throw while landing > Dash Attack combos, although it can be incosistent to get at kill percents depending on spacing, timing and your opponents weight/fall speed. So many things to use... Your question made me realize there's too much about turnips we don't know yet.
Wasping was a Brawl tactic and is not in Smash 4.

Bair is a MUST USE. Ground float Bair does indeed have fair share of landing lag but it's fast the range is insane. It's an excellent out of shield option. Short hop Bair is simply amazing because it's safe, fast, has range and and can kill. Use shorthop Bairs more and you'll understand what's good about it. If your don't use Bair (or Nair), you're not making use of any of her fast aerials. Fast characters will overwhelm you.[/quote]

K thanks, I do use her Bair a lot trust me, I am still just having somewhat of a tough time finding what its best used for, but I think i get it now.

I generally have trouble finishing or either do combos while starting some because I use the Gamepad instead of the usual Gamecube controller which is what I always used, I feel like maybe in a way Peach is easier used on a GCC? For me, I have ZR as my attack button meaning I have to use that while floating to attack with ariels, but even then sometimes I accidentally end up Airdodging or something or doing the wrong move.
@ Dark.Pch Dark.Pch whats your opinion on this? would you say Peach is best on a Game cube controller? It does irritate me how I do mess up because I do in a way go a little too fast, but i feel like if
I dont, my opponents may be able to escape.

Last edited:

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
To me she is best on a gamepad which is what I play with. It's easier to qfr with it. If the pro controller is the same as the game pads anolog, then both of those are best to me.

KingDaiGurren

Smash Journeyman
I'm having trouble with getting grounded float to nair. I keep doing dair and fair :/ does anyone have any tips?

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
I'm having trouble with getting grounded float to nair. I keep doing dair and fair :/ does anyone have any tips?
Setting one of your shoulder buttons to jumps helps a lot.
First press jump,
then quickly press down,
let go of down as fast as possible,
then press neutral A,
let go out of jump.

If you already knew this, then the only things left to do is practice practice and practice, until it becomes engraved muscle memory. Practice it out of neutral stance, out of a dash and out of shield.

TheRealDrean

Smash Rookie
So, I'm new to the forums, but I've been an avid Peach player for a long while now, and I have some questions.
  1. What's a good secondary to have as a Peach main? I've tried lots of characters, but I'm still a bit unsure.
  2. What are some good/bad match-ups when playing as Peach?
  3. How do I determine when in a match should I pull turnips?
Thanks in advance!

pokio55

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pokio55
Hello peach group! I was wondering how should peach go about in the neutral game? Things like what her plan would be, depending on the character. Any to all tips will be highly appreciated! Thank you.

Thanks to @3ggroll for making a forum on this!

Top Bottom