• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Ask the Princess: Peach FAQ and Q&A

Jarb

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4897-6167-0433
Noob question here! What is the optimal use of dair? I throw out that move to pressure or beat some other moves but I rarely get a follow up and sometimes punished for it. It is very important for peach but I dont know to use it effectively and damage isnt that good.. in what situations should I be using it? In what position(oos? While falling? what lv of float?)? In which percentages? What are the follow ups? Ty!
Bit late of a reply, but the simplest way of using dair that I've found is to float above your opponent's head and go from dair to fair at lower percentages, or dair to uair at higher percentages. Shorthopping dair can lead into a lot of other combos (like here https://youtu.be/bJmTMd1lzjU?t=166), but it's more difficult to pull off. Be careful that you don't move too far ahead when setting up dair combos or you will knock your opponent in the wrong direction; not punishable, but ends your combo.

Using dair when falling at higher percentages is generally not worth it as it is simply too risky and unlikely to lead into anything major if the last hit does connect.

EyexSore

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theultimatetater
3DS FC
0259-0815-3282
Is the turnip move even useful? If so, in what situation.

Gords

Smash Champion
So I'm going through EoE combo tutorial vids to learn some peach stuff.
I am having a hard time combining out of D-air though, even in training mode.
Sometimes the CPU goes backwards instead of forwards and other times they go forward but I can't seem to get in position to combo out of it except for maybe a F-air which at the moment is my more constant follow up. This even happens when I set the CPU to control so they don't DI.
Has anyone got some tricks or tips to help me with this or maybe know what I am doing wrong? Thanks

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Your position and the direction you're facing relative to where your opponent is when they take the final hit of Dair determines where they'll be sent.

Let's say you're facing to the right and you've scored a Floating Dair on your opponent - if your opponent is in front of you during the final hit of Dair, they'll be hit to the right. If they're behind you, they'll be hit to the left (i.e. behind you).

Part of making Dair combos work is ensuring that you're positioned far away enough to send them flying away from during the final hit of Dair but also positioned close enough so you can follow up.

EyexSore

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theultimatetater
3DS FC
0259-0815-3282
Back again, and I've got a bit of a problem. Does anybody know if Peach is good to use against a Toon Link that spams projectiles? This guy I know screws me every time I choose any of my other mains, and I was wondering if Peach is a good option.

Pippu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BaffDurtum
3DS FC
4468-1508-6788
Back again, and I've got a bit of a problem. Does anybody know if Peach is good to use against a Toon Link that spams projectiles? This guy I know screws me every time I choose any of my other mains, and I was wondering if Peach is a good option.

All links and tinks really play the same so I've just sort of learned and predicted what they're going to do and punish before they do something.
I think the best counter pick for this match up would be Fox, his reflector doesnt have much lag at the end of it so its safe to use in the mu.

As for with peach, I try to stay close (the range of her side b). If I see them charging the bow I float over and punish with a fair.
If they're dashing towards you they're almost always going to use dash attack so punish with a toad

Its always good to have a turnip in hand too. It can really catch links off guard if you hit them while they're offstage. Its the safest way to approach in the mu as well

Last edited:

EyexSore

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theultimatetater
3DS FC
0259-0815-3282
Thanks. The reason I'm a stickler for using Peach instead of Fox though is because I wanna get good with characters I really like. I'll just go for the best option among my mains is what I'm saying. Thanks a million.

Genome Squirrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DarkCoffee
not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I decided to buy a peach amiibo for fun. is there any way to get them to use turnips more often? i heard they copy your moves, and i've spent matches using nothing but turnips, but she'll go entire matches without using them.

Pippu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BaffDurtum
3DS FC
4468-1508-6788
not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I decided to buy a peach amiibo for fun. is there any way to get them to use turnips more often? i heard they copy your moves, and i've spent matches using nothing but turnips, but she'll go entire matches without using them.
I have the same issue. I even trained my peach amiibo in doubles (playing on a team with an amiibo makes them mimic you, playing against them makes them counter you) doing exactly what you did, only using turnips. It very rarely pulls one up and if it does it usually chunks it without second thought.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
I think the best way to counter a peach who uses a lot of turnips is to use turnips yourself, so you might want to try training it 1v1 if you want it to use turnips. I'd never win a ditto if I didn't use turnips.

DoctorKitsune

Smash Rookie
Hey, everyone! I'm trying to get better at playing Peach, but it hasn't been going too well. (I can't even beat the computers as her, I'm so bad.) I've watched lots of tutorial videos and stuff, but can’t seem to be able to actually incorporate any of it into how I play. Can anyone tell me some basic stuff I should try to get down first?

Also, and this will probably sound pretty stupid, but how do you do a ground float out of a dash? I can't seem to do it without stopping when I start floating.

Tha_Crystal_Gemz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
miki-iki
3DS FC
4425-1738-4816
Switch FC
SW-5889-0433-4399
Can someone please tell me how I can incorporate Peach's down tilt + A move into my gameplay? I hardly use it against fast characters or aggressive opponents because it is rather slow. I tried to use it immediately after Peach's dair (not too familiar with the terminology - the move when she is in the air and kicks her feet down) when I am close to the ground but by then, the opponent is shielding or grabs me. I'd really like to use this move more often, it is strong.

Plazmatic

Smash Rookie
NNID
PlazmaticTv
I have a question. How do I close stocks against peach players? I cant seem to close out stocks effectively and I end up getting killed before Im able to land a finishing blow. What should I be looking for when a peach is at high percents in order to land the KO? (I play Sheik, Fox, and Mario)

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Of the following four characters, are any of them good doubles partners for Peach? The four are Ike, Meta Knight, Kirby and R.O.B.

EOE

Smash Apprentice
Hey, everyone! I'm trying to get better at playing Peach, but it hasn't been going too well. (I can't even beat the computers as her, I'm so bad.) I've watched lots of tutorial videos and stuff, but can’t seem to be able to actually incorporate any of it into how I play. Can anyone tell me some basic stuff I should try to get down first?
Basic things to learn with Peach:
  • Approaching with Float D-air and short-hop D-air. Position yourself so that if your opponent shields your D-air, you can jump out of it and avoid a punish. If you short-hop and instantly D-air, the animation will finish before you touch the ground, meaning you have access to your second jump.
  • When approaching your opponent with a float, you should take into consideration your opponent's projectiles and anti-airs. You want to be at a height from which you can avoid these.
  • If you short hop and instantly F-air, you will autocancel the move upon touching the ground, meaning no lag. Use this for spacing and punishing. You can also autocancel short-hop B-air if you fast fall.
  • Up-air is good for aerial pressure. It can also be used as an anti-air when Peach is in ground float.
  • Starting out with Peach, I think the best move to use as a punish is Dash Attack.
  • F-air, Up-Smash and Back-throw are her most consistent kill moves, in my opinion.
  • Use D-throw at low percentages and combo into F-tilt.
  • Use side-B for horizontal recovery - it will also ledge-snap.
  • Only pull turnips when you are safe. Down-B has quite a lot of cooldown, so some opponents will punish you with a Dash Attack when you try to pull a turnip. It is sometimes difficult to judge when you are safe to pull vs fast characters.
That's all I can think of atm. I hope that helps!

Also, and this will probably sound pretty stupid, but how do you do a ground float out of a dash? I can't seem to do it without stopping when I start floating.
From running, simply hold down on the control stick (or diagonal-down) and hold jump.

Can someone please tell me how I can incorporate Peach's down tilt + A move into my gameplay? I hardly use it against fast characters or aggressive opponents because it is rather slow. I tried to use it immediately after Peach's dair (not too familiar with the terminology - the move when she is in the air and kicks her feet down) when I am close to the ground but by then, the opponent is shielding or grabs me. I'd really like to use this move more often, it is strong.
D-tilt is very difficult to land consistently. Personally, I will often use D-tilt after a sour-spot (weak hit) Neutral-Air.
You have to space well to land D-tilt. You can also use it as a punish in certain match-ups.

If you are able to perform advanced techniques such as Jump-Cancel-Fast-Fall, Float cancelling and perfect pivots, you will find D-tilt easier to space.

I have a question. How do I close stocks against peach players? I cant seem to close out stocks effectively and I end up getting killed before Im able to land a finishing blow. What should I be looking for when a peach is at high percents in order to land the KO? (I play Sheik, Fox, and Mario)
As Sheik, Up-smash, Down-B, F-air and D-throw > U-air.
As Fox U-air & U-smash. N-air > running U-smash is good on Peach.

Of the following four characters, are any of them good doubles partners for Peach? The four are Ike, Meta Knight, Kirby and R.O.B.
It depends on the matchup. I personally like teaming with characters who have good aerials and throw combos, because there is a lot of potential for follow-ups. E.g Kirby/Peach repeating B-airs, ROB D-throw > U-air to Peach parasol, etc.

Pippu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BaffDurtum
3DS FC
4468-1508-6788
I partner with a ROB in doubles.
and we do pretty well

Meta Knight and Ike arn't really good in doubles i must say. They cant really do much for themselves so how are they going to help a partner?

Kirby is an excellent character for doubles. this is where he really shines as a character.

Imo i think Kirby and ROB would be your safest bets c:

PeachBooty

Smash Apprentice
I partner with a Mario in doubles, and we haven't lost a tournament yet. We haven't even dropped a set yet. Also, online we went on a 50 game win streak. Smash 4 is definitely a doubles game (the worst in the series for 1v1 imo). The hitstun in this game is perfect for teams, and Peach is the perfect character for doubles. Peach is definitely an ASSist character, lol. Not a tank like Melee. A Peach player should team with a combo-oriented character with good throws, great mobility and movement options, who also doesn't have problems killing. That's why Mario is perfect. Follow-ups for days with or without Team Attack on.

gameplayzero

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RetroBlaze
where do I ask to fight peach mains? If its here then I'm looking for match--up experience.

Message me first if you don't mind helping me. Thanks.

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
I enjoy using Peach from time to time, but I would like to know (regarding customs), does using Heavy or Light Veggie remove the chance of Peach pulling up a Bob-Omb or a Mr. Saturn?

Pippu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BaffDurtum
3DS FC
4468-1508-6788
I enjoy using Peach from time to time, but I would like to know (regarding customs), does using Heavy or Light Veggie remove the chance of Peach pulling up a Bob-Omb or a Mr. Saturn?

it does, and it dramatically lowers the chances of dot and stitch faces

gameplayzero

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RetroBlaze
I partner with a ROB in doubles.
and we do pretty well

Meta Knight and Ike arn't really good in doubles i must say. They cant really do much for themselves so how are they going to help a partner?

Kirby is an excellent character for doubles. this is where he really shines as a character.

Imo i think Kirby and ROB would be your safest bets c:
ike is pretty strong in doubles, and metaknight can be a threat as well. Doubles pretty much every character is viable compared to singles thanks to team combos and your teammate either covering your weakness or watching your back constantly. Ike can easily get team kills with his powerful up smash/ from a partner throw at early percents and thanks to having a partner he can be at ease when he is thrown off stage. Having an ike on your team just means you'll need to keep an eye on him since he most useful trait in teams his is kill power and he gets easily gimped.

Metaknight, like kirby, can go in save your partner off stage or act as a big assist character thanks to his speed. His f-smash is strong and quick to make things even better to cover all options when in a 2v1 scenario. He can weave in and out and for some characters (like ike) they'll need people like that to save them from harm.

Metaknight can easily handle himself on his own (go to the metaknight boards). Ike may have a harder time than metaknight, but he still isn't trash considering ideal doubles is trying to get you and your partner in a 2v1 situation as much as possible.

Last edited:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Thanks for the replies to my question. I asked because my cousin and I often go on For Glory doubles which doesn't follow the same format as competitive doubles so I was wondering which of my main 4 in doubles would work best with my cousins' main doubles character in a competitive environment.

Ike is my go-to character since he has range which Peach lacks and as mentioned above, has powerful moves which make for great finishers in combos. The only thing I fear with Ike in a competitive environment is friendly fire since 1 mistake could easily cost us a stock or even worse, a game.
Meta Knight is when we need a rushdown character and his Mach Tornado is stupidly good in For Glory doubles since 1 read roll or spot dodge equals 20 damage from me and a finisher from Peach. I know that wouldn't work anywhere near as well in a competitive environment since MK would take the hit from Peach and he's incredibly light.
Kirby is honestly just for specific matchups like :4littlemac::4ganondorf: where I can be a jerk with Inhale or :4zss::4falco: where I can duck under projectiles and other attacks. I have done some nice combos with Kirby and Peach like turnip to Kirby dair to Kirby utilt to Peach usmash. I don't fear too much with Kirby in a competitive environment.
R.O.B. is when we need to play a more campy or defensive playstyle. It wouldn't work as well in a competitive environment since I'd have to be wary not to hit Peach with lasers or gyros but thankfully she can float over it given the chance (or Toad I guess).

It sucks how despite how fun For Glory doubles is, it doesn't prepare one for competitive doubles at all so I thank you all again for answering my question.

Pippu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BaffDurtum
3DS FC
4468-1508-6788
ike is pretty strong in doubles, and metaknight can be a threat as well. Doubles pretty much every character is viable compared to singles thanks to team combos and your teammate either covering your weakness or watching your back constantly. Ike can easily get team kills with his powerful up smash/ from a partner throw at early percents and thanks to having a partner he can be at ease when he is thrown off stage. Having an ike on your team just means you'll need to keep an eye on him since he most useful trait in teams his is kill power and he gets easily gimped.

Metaknight, like kirby, can go in save your partner off stage or act as a big assist character thanks to his speed. His f-smash is strong and quick to make things even better to cover all options when in a 2v1 scenario. He can weave in and out and for some characters (like ike) they'll need people like that to save them from harm.

Metaknight can easily handle himself on his own (go to the metaknight boards). Ike may have a harder time than metaknight, but he still isn't trash considering ideal doubles is trying to get you and your partner in a 2v1 situation as much as possible.

I havent really ever looked into ike and mk in doubles tbh. I was just basing my knowledge off of singles Thanks for the insight on them cx Sorry if I gave off a wrong impression

gameplayzero

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RetroBlaze
Thanks for the replies to my question. I asked because my cousin and I often go on For Glory doubles which doesn't follow the same format as competitive doubles so I was wondering which of my main 4 in doubles would work best with my cousins' main doubles character in a competitive environment.

Ike is my go-to character since he has range which Peach lacks and as mentioned above, has powerful moves which make for great finishers in combos. The only thing I fear with Ike in a competitive environment is friendly fire since 1 mistake could easily cost us a stock or even worse, a game.
Meta Knight is when we need a rushdown character and his Mach Tornado is stupidly good in For Glory doubles since 1 read roll or spot dodge equals 20 damage from me and a finisher from Peach. I know that wouldn't work anywhere near as well in a competitive environment since MK would take the hit from Peach and he's incredibly light.
Kirby is honestly just for specific matchups like :4littlemac::4ganondorf: where I can be a jerk with Inhale or :4zss::4falco: where I can duck under projectiles and other attacks. I have done some nice combos with Kirby and Peach like turnip to Kirby dair to Kirby utilt to Peach usmash. I don't fear too much with Kirby in a competitive environment.
R.O.B. is when we need to play a more campy or defensive playstyle. It wouldn't work as well in a competitive environment since I'd have to be wary not to hit Peach with lasers or gyros but thankfully she can float over it given the chance (or Toad I guess).

It sucks how despite how fun For Glory doubles is, it doesn't prepare one for competitive doubles at all so I thank you all again for answering my question.
whenever you do competitive doubles just makes sure you are confident in your spacing for team combos + upsmash (and other team kill combos in general with ike and everyone else). You are very knowledgable for what sounds like someone who doesn't do competitive dubs :p so you took the words right out of my mouth. Especially friendly fire and mach tornado. What I do when I use metaknight in doubles (he is a secondary of mine) is combo into a partner throw with mach tornado for all of that damage or at kill percents an up b. If you can constantly pull off team combos/kills with this while your partner is aware of the other person, things should go smoothly. Problem is you are vulnerable after both of those moves so playing on stages with platforms is ideal depending on the match up. If you are teaming with a character that has a weak aerial move that has no knock back then you can get hit by that move so you can freely move afterwards.

but sometimes its better not to take the risk and just do an up air(s) into an up b or fair rebound right back to your partner depending on your positioning.

I havent really ever looked into ike and mk in doubles tbh. I was just basing my knowledge off of singles Thanks for the insight on them cx Sorry if I gave off a wrong impression
no problem! Hopefully I didn't come off as a jerk during that lol. I just study/use metaknight mainly in dubz so I'd thought I share and I used to fight ike nonstop in doubles when I first started.

Last edited:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
whenever you do competitive doubles just makes sure you are confident in your spacing for team combos + upsmash (and other team kill combos in general with ike and everyone else). You are very knowledgable for what sounds like someone who doesn't do competitive dubs :p so you took the words right out of my mouth. Especially friendly fire and mach tornado. What I do when I use metaknight in doubles (he is a secondary of mine) is combo into a partner throw with mach tornado for all of that damage or at kill percents an up b. If you can constantly pull off team combos/kills with this while your partner is aware of the person, things should go smoothly. Problem is you are vulnerable after both of those moves so playing on stages with platforms is ideal depending on the match up. If you are teaming with a character that has a weak aerial move that has no knock back then you can get hit by that move so you can freely move afterwards.

but sometimes its better not to take the risk and just do an up air(s) into an up b or fair rebound to your partner depending on your positioning.
Thanks! I currently have no confidence in my spacing simply because it doesn't matter in For Glory doubles and my cousin and I haven't done any competitive dubs in Smash 4 (we did a very little bit back in Brawl). As for the weak aerial, I'm not too knowledged when it comes to Peach's although I know her fair is strong. Perhaps if she has a turnip (and doesn't pull out a stitch face or bob-omb) that could be a good replacement. Otherwise, my cousin also uses Link and Falcon. I know Link has a weak bair (comparatively so to his other aerials) and Falcons sourspot knee and first hit of nair are weak too. He mostly uses Peach though, a character I know very little about so I'm glad I asked here!

gameplayzero

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RetroBlaze
Thanks! I currently have no confidence in my spacing simply because it doesn't matter in For Glory doubles and my cousin and I haven't done any competitive dubs in Smash 4 (we did a very little bit back in Brawl). As for the weak aerial, I'm not too knowledged when it comes to Peach's although I know her fair is strong. Perhaps if she has a turnip (and doesn't pull out a stitch face or bob-omb) that could be a good replacement. Otherwise, my cousin also uses Link and Falcon. I know Link has a weak bair (comparatively so to his other aerials) and Falcons sourspot knee and first hit of nair are weak too. He mostly uses Peach though, a character I know very little about so I'm glad I asked here!
yeah with peach its kinda iffy. Probably best to do what you mentioned with a turnip hit or snipe the opponent to keep them off (just make sure its not a stitch lol). Link could use a boomerang or arrow to keep the opponent away or hit your partner too. Otherwise you pretty much have it down. Couldn't hurt to try some competitive doubles some times on here or nintendodojo though! If you want to dubz then my partner and I would gladly help.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
yeah with peach its kinda iffy. Probably best to do what you mentioned with a turnip hit or snipe the opponent to keep them off (just make sure its not a stitch lol). Link could use a boomerang or arrow to keep the opponent away or hit your partner too. Otherwise you pretty much have it down. Couldn't hurt to try some competitive doubles some times on here or nintendodojo though! If you want to dubz then my partner and I would gladly help.
I brought up the idea of my cousin and I doing dubs matches against you and your partner and he agreed to it. Would just need a convenient time to do so. I also brought up how you were looking to fight Peach mains and asked if he was interested. He says he's not good at Smash but that he'd be cool with fighting you xD.

gameplayzero

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RetroBlaze
I brought up the idea of my cousin and I doing dubs matches against you and your partner and he agreed to it. Would just need a convenient time to do so. I also brought up how you were looking to fight Peach mains and asked if he was interested. He says he's not good at Smash but that he'd be cool with fighting you xD.
lol at least someone addressed my 1v1 issue. If you have a Skype or just want to message me on here then thats totally fine. I've been a lot more active on here so i'm on when I'm not playing smash. We'd gladly help you out and teach you some tricks and tips.

PeachBooty

Smash Apprentice
It translates a lot better than you think. It took me and my partner only 1 team attack battle to get ready for competitive doubles. Playing For Glory teams will at least give you tons of team chemistry, which is by far the most important aspect in doubles. I know it can be scary with someone like Ike, since his Up Smash seems to go across the whole stage, but just having chemistry with your partner will help tremendously with team attack on. It should come pretty naturally to you guys, if you have good chemistry. Just try a few different team combinations with team attack on (even against cpus if you have to. That's what we did.).

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
Wow her custom veggie a tally removes bombs and Saturn?oh come on -.-
But which was is better, for edge guard purposes because of its much higher knockback, heavy veggie, but it's very slow, but it's possible to rematch it faster when next to your opponent, but......yea.
Light veggie, throwing them upwards is near useless, you can only have like 2 or 3 on screen, they are weak, but bounce back which is decent somewhat, but are slow.......

Tough choice, and this is the same with her bombers I don't know which one is recommended.

Btw to anyone asking about Dtilt you DO wanna use it in your game, I think many peach mains can agree it's like her best combo starter, and it's not too slow, and it has fantastic range, with some good Hitstun, and it even has invincibility frames?(I think intangible actually, one of the 2)

Zelbur

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zelbur
Can Peach smash throw turnips in Smash 4? I know in Melee if you smash threw a turnip it went farther and did more damage and knockback. Is that the same in Smash 4? Also, if it is, can you do it in the 3DS version?

Pippu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BaffDurtum
3DS FC
4468-1508-6788
Can Peach smash throw turnips in Smash 4? I know in Melee if you smash threw a turnip it went farther and did more damage and knockback. Is that the same in Smash 4? Also, if it is, can you do it in the 3DS version?
You can still smash throw, it still does extra damage knockback and goes further i think damage depends on how close you are to opponent if not i just adds 2 more damage to all turnips. Yes you can do it on 3ds
hope that helped

Mrawesome48

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mrawesome48
Hey everyone i was wondering if anyone wouldnt mind sparring with me. I'm trying to learn how to pivot grab, short hop and punish rolls with Princess peach

MetaBhreat

Smash Cadet
Is it just me, or did they buff the Stitch face's knockback in the Mewtwo patch? I feel like it didn't kill before and now it has the potential to.

Zelbur

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zelbur
Is it just me, or did they buff the Stitch face's knockback in the Mewtwo patch? I feel like it didn't kill before and now it has the potential to.
I think you are right, I picked up Peach after the patch though, so I only heard people say stitch didn't kill, and I didn't try it pre-patch. It has a lot of knockback now.

Top Bottom