• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask Lawn Chair Meta Knight things (Video Explanations)

Lawn Chair

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys ask me general or specific questions about Meta Knight things like: How to play neutral against X character, What combos do I have on X character, how do I X with Meta Knight etc.

*FORMAT*

Name "Question/Request" Thread Link (Google Shorten)
Youtube Video Link

Here is what are the videos I've done already

Last edited:

Diabolical PIe

Smash Apprentice
Oh my god dude, this is awesome. Can you maybe go over edgeguarding options and different methods to mix up your recovery? I'm a Fox main from Melee so I love Metaknight's bait and DD-centric playstyle, and I've played enough Metaknight to have a GENERAL grasp of his edgeguard game (WoP with Fairs if you want to gimp, ledgehop Dairs/Nairs cover low recovery, ledgehop Bair covers high, etc), but I want to know what you consider optimal for each situation, and also how to shuttle loop and not die every time. Or just not die goofily when I try to recover. Thank you so much, dude!

Lawn Chair

Smash Journeyman
Oh my god dude, this is awesome. Can you maybe go over edgeguarding options and different methods to mix up your recovery? I'm a Fox main from Melee so I love Metaknight's bait and DD-centric playstyle, and I've played enough Metaknight to have a GENERAL grasp of his edgeguard game (WoP with Fairs if you want to gimp, ledgehop Dairs/Nairs cover low recovery, ledgehop Bair covers high, etc), but I want to know what you consider optimal for each situation, and also how to shuttle loop and not die every time. Or just not die goofily when I try to recover. Thank you so much, dude!
Alright I can make the video today, it would take about 30 minutes. Any character specifically you want me to cover?

*EDIT* Going to a tourney today so I'll make it when I get home

Last edited:

Diabolical PIe

Smash Apprentice
Alright I can make the video today, it would take about 30 minutes. Any character specifically you want me to cover?

*EDIT* Going to a tourney today so I'll make it when I get home
Hmmm... well, options for spacies cover most situations, I think! Whatever you want to talk about, though!

JABS

Smash Cadet
I would like to request a pressure method and pressuring escape method from Sheik, and pretty much any FE character, especially Roy, I generally find that every time I try and space a Dtilt or outspace the FE, their sword pretty much devastates the range of MKs, and with Sheik....I don't know if my DI is wrong or what but she seems to more easily gain the upperhand at trading jabs and starting combos on MK, like her Ftilt has less lag and more sheildstun than MKs Dtilt or Ftilt. And if I do successfully put an Ftilt frame trap on her she instantly CCs and Dsmash, either knocking MK away or at worst spacing enough to reset the situation. Most appreciated.

_Chrome

Smash Ace
Something that I would like a few pointers on is the Meta Knight/Sonic Matchup. It's quite a bit easier than to play the neutral than against spacies, but regardless I wouldn't mind getting some tips. I figure I should let Sonic approach and just avoid his SHFFLs and side-b approaches, all the while DDing and WDing with dtilts and some spaced nairs, uairs and fairs.

Lawn Chair

Smash Journeyman
Something that I would like a few pointers on is the Meta Knight/Sonic Matchup. It's quite a bit easier than to play the neutral than against spacies, but regardless I wouldn't mind getting some tips. I figure I should let Sonic approach and just avoid his SHFFLs and side-b approaches, all the while DDing and WDing with dtilts and some spaced nairs, uairs and fairs.
That is pretty much how the matchup goes. No point I think in making a video over something you understand tbh

_Chrome

Smash Ace
That is pretty much how the matchup goes. No point I think in making a video over something you understand tbh
XD That's great to hear. I was doing that against my rival last night and we went about 50/50 (stage dependent). I won more on the smaller stages, and vice versa.

Diabolical PIe

Smash Apprentice
Thank you so much, Lawn Chair! I'm really excited to practice and apply this, not just to Metaknight, but to my Melee play as well! I love the line of commitment image you gave; really helped me understand a lot about edgeguarding. As for recovery, I had no idea his air dodge cooldown was so quick! Definitely gonna save me a lot of time when I go for those fairs. One thing you didn't mention was his Neutral B from below the ledge, which I'm pretty sure is a viable option now because they reduced the end lag on it this patch and we can grab ledge with it easier now. You might wanna experiment with it!

Lawn Chair

Smash Journeyman
Thank you so much, Lawn Chair! I'm really excited to practice and apply this, not just to Metaknight, but to my Melee play as well! I love the line of commitment image you gave; really helped me understand a lot about edgeguarding. As for recovery, I had no idea his air dodge cooldown was so quick! Definitely gonna save me a lot of time when I go for those fairs. One thing you didn't mention was his Neutral B from below the ledge, which I'm pretty sure is a viable option now because they reduced the end lag on it this patch and we can grab ledge with it easier now. You might wanna experiment with it!
You can't grab it below the ledge you have to be above it still and high enough until you go into freefall

Yallo42

Smash Apprentice
I will work on this tonight I like this question a lot. Anything specific you want me to go over for you? What throw when close to the ledge? etc.
Yeah, is fthrow useless if they DI away? When is a good time to use bthrow? Do you know good percents for uthrow combos? What is a good way to tech chase with dthrow?

_Chrome

Smash Ace
Yeah, is fthrow useless if they DI away? When is a good time to use bthrow? Do you know good percents for uthrow combos? What is a good way to tech chase with dthrow?
Before Lawn Chair makes the video, I can tell you what b-throw and f-throw are good for. They're used for getting positional advantage (ie getting people at ledges and on platforms); additionally, b-throw can be a pretty useful mix-up against spacies for a tech chase, instead of using d-throw all of the time.

Lawn Chair

Smash Journeyman
Sorry @ Y Yallo42 I've been really trying to make this video perfect so sorry for how long its taking I can bet that it will be up tomorrow

@ JABS JABS Simplify what you want

Last edited:

Yallo42

Smash Apprentice
Thanks a lot! The tech chasing advice was especially helpful. So basically you rack up damage with dthrow at low%, then get them offstage with bthrow or fthrow at high%.

Cox Box

Smash Cadet
Hi there! I'm an Ike main looking to pick up MK as a secondary for match ups that I just can't seem to win as the radiant hero. These match ups are (in order of importance):
1. Kirby
2. DeDeDe
3. Falco
4. Snake (I'm on the fence about switching for this MU)

I've been reading up on MK basics, but I would really appreciate some tips on approaching these specific match ups. Is that within the scope of this thread?

Lawn Chair

Smash Journeyman
Hi there! I'm an Ike main looking to pick up MK as a secondary for match ups that I just can't seem to win as the radiant hero. These match ups are (in order of importance):
1. Kirby
2. DeDeDe
3. Falco
4. Snake (I'm on the fence about switching for this MU)

I've been reading up on MK basics, but I would really appreciate some tips on approaching these specific match ups. Is that within the scope of this thread?
I mean this post is prob better in the matchup discussion thread. If you look at the videos I've done its more about the broad skill and knowledge that you kinda need to learn before using the character at all (How to recover, tech chasing, Neutral Game, etc.)

I can prob answer these questions in the MU thread instead

Last edited:

JABS

Smash Cadet
Okay, here is a simplification: 1.Knowing when and how to approach(ensuring your method of offense and follow-up produce impacting control, both mental and situational). 2.Knowing when to retreat(realizing bad positioning, who has better situational advantage even if you have the upper-hand, mitigating the possibility for a comeback). Especially against characters who's attacks outrange yours. I guess Ill stop there. Does that work for you?

Lawn Chair

Smash Journeyman
Okay, here is a simplification: 1.Knowing when and how to approach(ensuring your method of offense and follow-up produce impacting control, both mental and situational). 2.Knowing when to retreat(realizing bad positioning, who has better situational advantage even if you have the upper-hand, mitigating the possibility for a comeback). Especially against characters who's attacks outrange yours. I guess Ill stop there. Does that work for you?
Thats better I'll try and work on this today

Player-3

Smash Hero
what %s does uthrow down b work on most weight classes? i seem to land it at 80-100 pretty consistently on most di's

Bmacster

Smash Rookie
This is probably a really easy question but how valid are u-air strings into a vertical finisher like tornado or up-b. If they are valid at all what percents do they work at?

Last edited:

Lawn Chair

Smash Journeyman
This is probably a really easy question but how valid are u-air strings into a vertical finisher like tornado or up-b. If they are valid at all what percents do they work at?
This is what makes MK's juggle game so deadly because he is very capable of killing off the top with Up-b and tornado

Here is a video of me using tornado to kill G&W off the top.

Notice how I react to the fact he expended his jump and up-b'd so I trap him with nado since he has no escape.

Lawn Chair

Smash Journeyman
I'll make your video sometime tonight or tomorrow so be on the look out!

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
This is probably not the place, but I'll ask anyway.

I'm considering dual maining Marth/MK since MK feels alot similar, but the question is do they complement each other, and if so, how?

Lawn Chair

Smash Journeyman
This is probably not the place, but I'll ask anyway.

I'm considering dual maining Marth/MK since MK feels alot similar, but the question is do they complement each other, and if so, how?
They juggle the similarly, they play neutral similarly, thats about where the similarities end

_Chrome

Smash Ace
Hey Lawn Chair, it's been a while since anyone posted, and a written response would suffice as well. Any tips versus Captain Falcon? I'm thinking we should keep him a sword's length away on stages like Yoshi's Story, WarioLand, Fountain of Dreams, and Green Hill Zone or Battlefield.

I assume u-smash is good to stuff a dair, and dash dancing should make it so we're able to avoid the knee or nair and respond with our own grab or nair. Tech chasing is probably a must in this match-up, as well as edgeguarding, so it should share some similarities with playing spacies. Is there anything I missed and does anyone have any other recommendations?

Top Bottom