• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Ask For Advice Here: Sheik Video Critique Thread

Joaco

Triforce of Wisdom
NNID
JoacoRyu8

This thread is for uploading your matches and asking for critique. Only for asking advice, if you want to post a match of RAIN, ZeRo, Mr. R or another Sheik that you found cool, post it in the other thread. Also use the other thread if you want to post one of your matches but you don't want critique.

General Rules:
-Stay on topic.
-Make who's Sheik you're critiquing clear. To avoid confusion, please note who you are critiquing at the beginning of your critique post. With lots of videos being posted in here, this is very necessary.
-Please refrain from posting videos where the skill gap between you and your opponent is too large. We can't help you if you destroyed your opponent, make sure that you are about equal skill level so we can properly give you advice.
-Try to keep the number of videos you post short. People are willing to critique your matches but we can't spend much time watching a large number of replays. I recommend to post a single set (2 or 3 matches).
-Avoid posting videos of online matches. Input delay and lag makes judging people off online matches a bad idea. Offline videos only please.
-Avoid posting videos of matches against CPUs. CPUs don't play like humans, which makes critiquing you difficult. Stick to posting matches against other people.
-Do not post vids here that are more than 1 month old. Critiquing old vids is pointless. Post recent vids so we can see what you currently need work on.

smashPony

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ponyfloyd
Hey everybody, I'd like to have these 2 matches critiqued. I felt there must be a lot of stuff to point out in both of these games. Both were close games but I know there's a lot i could have done better.

Game 1 was played against Jerm, a Shulk main from Canada, who ranked very highly on the previous season on Smashladder.com. Jerm also produces some cool Youtube content.

Game 2 was played against FullMoon, a fantastic Greninja, from Brazil. I've seen him pull off some amazing stuff.

Just a small thing to point out, in both games I do several random upsmashes. Most of the time when I do this its because I'm trying to do an instant FH upair, this is a weird nuance I haven't quite gotten the hang of. But nonetheless, I did do a couple upsmashes on purpose, at terrible times, and I was punished for them accordingly. Here's to hoping i get some solid advice. Thanks everyone!

Also, I have to give a great big thank you to @ Joaco Joaco ! One of the more active members on the Sheik boards, kind enough to upload these replays for me. :]

https://youtu.be/TUT-iF7iIyc

Last edited:

Lanzoma

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lanzoma
3DS FC
3024-6365-7774
I only looked at the first game so far.

These are the micro things I felt are worth mentioning:

- 0:53 when Shulk is in buster he does more damage and thus more shield push. Hold shield for a bit longer to avoid getting pushed away.
- 1:05 you let him land for free on the platform in exchange for charging a few needles. Not worth the tradeof imo, keep pushing your advantage.
- 1:21 uair won't kill at this % and it continues to stall it; go for vanish instead at this percent range to KO or fair him offstage to push your advantage further.
- 1:43 after taking a stock and getting them back to 0%, be mindful for your own %. Rage tends to screw up low % combos, particularly fthrow to bf, so you have to adjust.
- 3:14 this was extremely risky with very low reward, avoid making these kind of gambles. It nearly cost you a stock and you got 10% for it.
- 3:52 run away and camp him if he goes into smash, needles will pop him up earlier (because of increased knockback) making it harder for him to chase you. You know he wants to close the stock, so stay in shield and punish him for it, be patient. His only threat is dthrow, so stay centered (but defensive) to prevent dying to that.
- 4:16 this is a nice mixup but the top platform would have gotten in the way. I prefer to dthrow empty sh to bait an airdodge and then usmash at this % range.
- 4:47 this could have cost you the game, you bair (accidentally I'm guessing) and he airdodges to the ground, giving you the kill right there. You failed to noticed the airdodge and instead held shield, which he failed to react to as well, but could have grabbed to dthrow for the stock. A case of spaghetti on both sides, but work on not losing composure during stressful situations.

These are the macro things:

- Don't go for dthrow uair at low percentages. You can get more damage out of fthrow bf and that way you avoid stalling uair for KOs later on. Keeping uair fresh is extremely important to avoid getting to the awful % range where Sheik has problems closing stocks.
- In general, don't go for uair so much. It's a decent rejuggling tool and it is active for a while so it helps catch air dodges, but you should be pushing people offstage where Sheik shines and forcing them into worse situations. In several instances you had a grab on him in a position where you could have pushed him offstage via fthrow -> fair/bf or bthrow -> bair/fair/bf, but instead went for dthrow uair.
- Shulk was offstage only once, and barely at that, while you were pushed offstage several times. (L)edge play is a huge part of Sheik's game, and arguably where she's strongest. Take advantage of this. It's better to push somebody offstage (from a bad to a worse position) and do 5% than to juggle them (extending the bad position) for 7%.

If you are able, I would prefer some offline footage, since it more accurately represents the people playing.

HoSmash4

Smash Ace
I'm gonna assume pony went for dthrow uairs to avoid staling bouncing fish

BlastHappyNinja

Smash Apprentice
Hmmmmmmm...

At one point FullMoon pulled off an upthrow to Usmash on you, the best thing that you could have done in that situation is jumped. I try to avoid air dodges as much as possible because they can lead into hits like that (I.E with us baiting an air dodge and pulling off a vanish kill because of it.)

You should be going offstage more. There were a couple of points in both sets where I feel like you could have tried to stage spike or could have continued to try and keep your opponents away with Fairs. Especially with Shulk.

Needles are your friend. Against Shulk especially. You should utilize them a bit more at distances to tack on damage whenever you can.

Also is this thread only one video at a time? I have a video that I'd also like critique on and I just wanted to make sure I didn't interrupt anything on the current thread before I posted mine.

Joaco

Triforce of Wisdom
NNID
JoacoRyu8
Also is this thread only one video at a time? I have a video that I'd also like critique on and I just wanted to make sure I didn't interrupt anything on the current thread before I posted mine.
No, you may post it whenever you want, like right now. We will try to critique every video here.

Simikins

Nerfed
3DS FC
0447-8060-8710
For Squeebles just a little thing, (there's other stuff but I haven't watched the full set yet) you spend a lot of time standing and waiting. In that time you could be charging needles, and pressuring them to approach, or forcing them to shield. Thus is the power of needles. Even charging them forces a reaction.
You later went on to needle camp them. Guess you had the same thought I did ;)

Last edited:

MiloniVanili

Smash Apprentice
I've got a couple i could use some help analyzing.

https://youtu.be/LK0WJDAG8_Y?t=43s

Obviously the skill gap here is very large considering who my opponent is but any advice you can give me is helpful. note that i switch to ike after game 1 because i didn't feel like i had anything to lose so don't bother critiquing my ike unless you really want to.

https://youtu.be/iHvBg8aeSZ0?t=5m29s

i started this set as ike because i felt like i did better with ike vs diddy in the first video so i decided to try it again

Last edited:

BlastHappyNinja

Smash Apprentice

Obviously the skill gap here is very large considering who my opponent is but any advice you can give me is helpful. note that i switch to ike after game 1 because i didn't feel like i had anything to lose so don't bother critiquing my ike unless you really want to.

i started this set as ike because i felt like i did better with ike vs diddy in the first video so i decided to try it again
WELL YOU SEE MILONI YER FIRST PROBLEM WAS THAT YOU'RE NOT EAST MICHIGAN

Jk. Thought I'd give you shiz just cuz. Zinoto's a calm and collected thinker, you'd basically have to outsmart him if you want to win.

You had the right idea against Rog when you were grabbing his bananas and using them against him. Around 6:34 you went for a Nair and the spacing wasn't as good as it could be, I feel like a retreating fair would have been a better option. At 7:40 you naded against Rog, I'm going to assume that was on accident maybe? Game two you didn't seem to be going for the bananas as much. As you know they're one of Diddy's best options and you can turn that against him if you're aware of them. Keep an eye on the bananas. Overall I think that you needed to play a bit more patiently at the end. Your chains are good, you threw out quite a few nice nair/grab strings and your fair kills were on point. In the future just try to respect diddy's bananas more and space your moves a bit better, and it's not always good to just go in headfirst, especially at high percentages. You could have needle camped the diddy to force an approach as a safer option, eventually Ftilt would have worked and killed him if you were patient enough.

Joaco

Triforce of Wisdom
NNID
JoacoRyu8
Hey guys, I need advice please! Any critique you give me will probably be very helpful so don't hold back :p
link: http://www.twitch.tv/argensmash/v/13598428
The match I want to receive critique is at 6:36:30 vs Kevon (Mega Man/Mario), of course if you want to critique my other matches too I would appreciate it :p
Thanks for your help fellow Sheiks!

Last edited:

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Hey guys, I need advice please! Any critique you give me will probably be very helpful so don't hold back :p
link: http://www.twitch.tv/argensmash/v/13598428
The match I want to receive critique is at 6:36:30 vs Kevon (Mega Man/Mario), of course if you want to critique my other matches too I would appreciate it :p
Thanks for your help fellow Sheiks!
You are playing VERY defensively and it basically cost you a lot in terms of both time wasted and in general you were just risking too much by being so defensive, which is ironic, but it's the truth in this case. All you seem to be doing is rolling, throwing needles, whiffing grabs, and doing fairs. The only thing you do correctly is spacing fairs and throwing needles. Everything else is done very sloppily. Learn how to confirm grabs, tomahawks, learn Sheik's optimal strings, Fair chains or fair combos in general, and step up your game instead of just running around and throwing needles, it's not working out, especially against Mega Man who can't deal with rush down. The match would've been a lot less closer if you rushed him down.

Danimal197

Smash Apprentice

I played zero's diddy as sheik, and this is the advice he gave me. "you tried to fight me too much, you should have just ran away and needled more." Needles are sheik's advantage over diddy in neutral. Also diddy is ass offstage, so make sure to try to capitalize on the opportunity to gimp him. try to needle his up b with a reversal or c-bounce.

Also, at 7:07, your nair would have confirmed into bouncing fish, but you spot dodged instead. (probably still holding the L or R button from when you nair'd OOS. Or you have a habit of spot dodging after poorly space aerials.)

You have a tendency of trying to go for bouncing fish reads when he is on the platform. You also went for several bfish hard reads on stage. This is not necessary and will only ever work consistently on bad players. He didn't do a good job of punishing you, but bfish is not at all safe on shield or whiffed, obviously.

Needling people at an angle parallel to the stage when they are off-stage is the most predictable and the least rewarding way to spend your charge. @7:44

@7:46 good confirm on his bad di and worse air dodge. when people don't mess up like that, try backthrowing towards the middle of the stage and if they screw up the DI it is a free uair for you.

@8:10 you did down throw when he was still at a percent where forward throw to jump-bfish will still work.

Last edited:

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
http://www.twitch.tv/perthsmash/v/13352486?t=2h10m20s

Please help me get better lol. The random f smashes were input errors.
First match was pretty good. You did a lot of random smash attacks though, not just random fsmashes. You didn't use needles a single time. Your opponent was pretty aggressive so I couldn't see if you could space fair well enough or not, but if you don't know how to do that then I suggest changing your c stick to tilts and learning to space Fair using c stick on shield.

You weren't converting many attacks. That usmash read you went for early on could have instead been a bunch of aerials that did more damage overall, especially because the usmash could never kill at that percent.

Game 2 was really bad though. For some reason you insisted on spamming uair and just got rekt and 0 to death'd. standing utilt and fair are better to pressure someone on a platform assuming your underneath them, cuz they can't be punished (unlike uair with has lag). Same issue as the first match though when you did random smash attacks and couldn't capitalize on many of your aerials or opportunities.

In both matches your recoveries were very awkward. You should aim for the ledge and then do whatever is safest depending on your opponent's position; in all positions that Palutena could have been taken out by ledge drop > jump > fair or simple getup but for some reason you never went for those. Bouncing Fish on stage is also really awkward lol I don't recommend that ever when your opponent is on stage. Also, you weren't DIing down throw at all, or DIing towards palutena. that lead to your death a couple times, always DI away.

In the end I suggest learning to better optimize your punishes/strings.

cmk4

Smash Rookie
Thanks! I guess a lot of it comes down to the fact that I'm not that confident in my aerial punish/strings. When I went for the upsmash read what should I have gone for instead? Fair, fair, bouncing fish?

Yeah the up airs on the platform were bad lol.

Yeah recovering with bouncing fish is a bad habit. If I did normal getup I seemed like I got jabbed into grab (2:13:48). Getting off the ledge was something I found really difficult in this set. Ledge drop > jump > fair seemed like it would also get covered by her just shielding. Yeah the DI was weird, the one thing I knew about the matchup was to always DI away the throws but sometimes I just didn't? I know there were definitely occasions in the set where I did DI away but other times I don't think I was quick enough.

Thanks for the advice.

Edit: Yeah needles are definitely something I need to use more of, but I feel like I never have to time to charge them?

Last edited:

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Thanks! I guess a lot of it comes down to the fact that I'm not that confident in my aerial punish/strings. When I went for the upsmash read what should I have gone for instead? Fair, fair, bouncing fish?

Yeah the up airs on the platform were bad lol.

Yeah recovering with bouncing fish is a bad habit. If I did normal getup I seemed like I got jabbed into grab (2:13:48). Getting off the ledge was something I found really difficult in this set. Ledge drop > jump > fair seemed like it would also get covered by her just shielding. Yeah the DI was weird, the one thing I knew about the matchup was to always DI away the throws but sometimes I just didn't? I know there were definitely occasions in the set where I did DI away but other times I don't think I was quick enough.

Thanks for the advice.

Edit: Yeah needles are definitely something I need to use more of, but I feel like I never have to time to charge them?
Yeah that Palutena seemed to cover ledge options really nicely honestly, but even with that normal getup is usually pretty damn hard to punish without a move that has a lot of active frames, especially if you buffer roll/spotdodge after getting up. Another option would be to buffer jump, double jump, and bouncing fish away.

And yeah, fair > bouncing fish was possible. Nair > land on platform > bouncing fish was also possible. Thinking about it again though, I actually think the usmash WAS more optimal than that, I was wrong there lol. Usmash deals most damage and gives instant stage control. I just usually don't like using it when they're not in kill percents.

For charging needles, whenever they're in the air that means time to charge needles, although sometimes you have to decide whether to go after them or charge needles instead. You can also do it in the neutral, especially seeing how Palutena's projectile is really bad anyway. You can do it between stocks (i don't remember whether you did that or not) or while having invincibility from losing a stock. Additionally you can do it when you get knocked off-stage really high, you'll fully charge them while still having time to recover; if not, you can cancel them anyway.

You shouldn't be not confident about Sheik's aerials when it comes to fair/nair at least, they're really hard to punish unless you do it literallt in front of them while shielding. Fair can be safe on shield and both have no lag or very little off a shorthop.

Also one thing I forgot to mention is your counterpick, you should have went for FD or SV, T&C or duck hunt if the Palutena banned both FD/SV. Don't give her platforms to cancel her up B on, and she seemed to use platforms better than you did. There wasn't really a reason for you to run it back there tbh.

Last edited:

Vici

Smash Rookie

I know matchup wise against diddy kong, you want jump less because you are a lot more vulnerable in the air against diddy than against other characters. His fair outprioritizes yours and he can hit you with the banana when you are landing. That's just one thing I noticed.

cmk4

Smash Rookie
Yeah that Palutena seemed to cover ledge options really nicely honestly, but even with that normal getup is usually pretty damn hard to punish without a move that has a lot of active frames, especially if you buffer roll/spotdodge after getting up. Another option would be to buffer jump, double jump, and bouncing fish away.

And yeah, fair > bouncing fish was possible. Nair > land on platform > bouncing fish was also possible. Thinking about it again though, I actually think the usmash WAS more optimal than that, I was wrong there lol. Usmash deals most damage and gives instant stage control. I just usually don't like using it when they're not in kill percents.

For charging needles, whenever they're in the air that means time to charge needles, although sometimes you have to decide whether to go after them or charge needles instead. You can also do it in the neutral, especially seeing how Palutena's projectile is really bad anyway. You can do it between stocks (i don't remember whether you did that or not) or while having invincibility from losing a stock. Additionally you can do it when you get knocked off-stage really high, you'll fully charge them while still having time to recover; if not, you can cancel them anyway.

You shouldn't be not confident about Sheik's aerials when it comes to fair/nair at least, they're really hard to punish unless you do it literallt in front of them while shielding. Fair can be safe on shield and both have no lag or very little off a shorthop.

Also one thing I forgot to mention is your counterpick, you should have went for FD or SV, T&C or duck hunt if the Palutena banned both FD/SV. Don't give her platforms to cancel her up B on, and she seemed to use platforms better than you did. There wasn't really a reason for you to run it back there tbh.

I usually do all the needle charging timings you mentioned except in neutral. I guess I just have to recognise when it's better to chase or charge needles.

I'm confident about using Sheik's aerials individually but not when I have to put multiple together in a string. Especially stringing fairs into bouncing fish.

Ahh yeah the counterpick, the Palutena did actually bad FD and SV. I wanted FD and usually go to Duck Hunt if someone bans FD but I completely just forgot about the new counterpick stages I had access to. I remember as the stage was loading thinking "oh wait I should've gone to duck hunt" loooool.

Thanks for the advice.

Joaco

Triforce of Wisdom
NNID
JoacoRyu8
Please critique this match vs Bowser:
Also, thanks Arikado for your past critique.

Vici

Smash Rookie
Please critique this match vs Bowser:
Also, thanks Arikado for your past critique.
Against most heavy characters at early percent I would say that the most optimal thing to do out of a grab would be fthrow to fair to ftilt strings rather than fthrow to bfish. This depends on your stage positioning, but it goes a long way on heavies when you have enough room. This also gives you stage control which gives you the opportunity punish his ledge get up options, which brings me to another point. I noticed whenever he tried to recover you would roll to the center of the stage and charge needles. This is resetting the situation back to neutral when you have an advantage against him. You only want to try to reset to neutral if your opponent is in an advantageous position and your are in a disadvantageous position. Nairing at the ledge covers most get up options. you could also try to roll to the ledge and do an up tilt. Up tilt combos into bouncing fish.
The main thing I saw that could use improvement is your neutral game. You were always rolling away and needling. You really only want to do that when you lose stage control and when your opponent isn't approaching. Use needles as a tool to put yourself into better stage positioning. Work your way to the middle of the stage and wall out your opponent with fairs. Your playstyle was also putting you in a mindset where you were opting to roll away and needle as your punish rather than doing something more optimal. There were a lot of punishes you could have had, but instead you opted to roll away and needle. Like I said, do this when you lose stage control and when your opponent isn't approaching rather than as a punish.

Vici

Smash Rookie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcpqFZlUde8
This is me playing a very good ness on anthers on Fd. I know i roll a bit too much but sheik's amazing rolls kind of let me get away with it. You may see a dumb grenade, most likely it was meant to be a bouncing fish. Just looking for help on what i'm doing wrong, how i should punish etc. Thanks guys!
Seemed like some pretty solid play. You were pretty good in the neutral against him. I feel like some of the combos you were doing against him were not optimal. You should look up zero vs fow or mr r vs a ness player to see what combos they are doing.
Offstage, I feel like you shouldn't do bfish on them until after they use their second jump. Bouncing fish is a big commitment and if you miss you are giving them stage control and putting yourself in a disadvantageous position. You should opt for fair, bair, nair, needles until they use their jump. Once they use their jump it'll be much easier to predict where they will be along with them having fewer options. At that point bouncing fish is a much better option.

Last edited:

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166

Vici

Smash Rookie
http://www.twitch.tv/mscupcakes/v/14709110?t=4m08s - vs. maXy :4zelda: (one of the best sets I've played)

http://www.twitch.tv/mscupcakes/v/14709110?t=50m15s - vs. GP :4myfriends:

I won the first set but I lost the second. Input on the second one is more appreciated because I wanna know what I did wrong. GP was power shielding everything and punishing with his good range and I had no idea what to do. I tried tomahawking a bunch at the end but got punished for it/didn't work out.
One thing I noticed due to you needling the ike player a lot was that he was always shielding your needles and it was getting predictable. This is a good way to condition him to shield whenever you look like you're gonna throw needles. A way to punish this is to cancel your needle charge with a light shield tap and run up and grab. You'll notice zero does this a lot in his matches. Other than that, you just need to get more efficient - always maximizing fair strings, hitting combos when you have the opportunity, etc.

DReager1

Smash Rookie
NNID
Terry20
Hi there, I recently entered my first SSB4 tourney and was eliminated by Sonic. I asked around on Smashfaqs for some tips on this and the main recommendation was that I should work on not grabbing so much and also not using fthrow at later percents. Any other advice on how I can avoid getting completely destroyed like this? I thought about counterpicking to Pac Man and wish that I had, but I know that in the long run, Sheik has the better MU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY-CNJxl5ZM

Thanks

Simikins

Nerfed
3DS FC
0447-8060-8710
http://www.twitch.tv/mscupcakes/v/14709110?t=4m08s - vs. maXy :4zelda: (one of the best sets I've played)

http://www.twitch.tv/mscupcakes/v/14709110?t=50m15s - vs. GP :4myfriends:

I won the first set but I lost the second. Input on the second one is more appreciated because I wanna know what I did wrong. GP was power shielding everything and punishing with his good range and I had no idea what to do. I tried tomahawking a bunch at the end but got punished for it/didn't work out.
I'm so glad you beat that zelda. He seemed like a salty disrespectful ass :D
The way you dealt with his camping was very good. Patience is very important. There were a few times you missed very easy punishes, like when he teleported beside you game 3 and you went for a grab. That would've been an easy Fsmash for the game.
Your fair strings were on point game 3. Grats on taking that set.

The set VS GP wasn't as good. You were keeping him busy with needles, but you needed to approach. You were waiting around too much. Also, if you think someone's going to grab out OOS when you're spacing fairs, don't jump and go for another, just jab.
Also I noticed you showing off some fancy movement in between their stocks. Utilise that! Try and incorporate all the fancy tricks you know into your gameplay.
But really, your only big issue against him was that you weren't getting much off each hit you got. Many of the fairs you got you didn't follow up efficiently.

You're definitely a better player than I am, but there was my 2 cents.

parade17

Smash Cadet
NNID
chuck2FP
Hello there, how are you guys? I'm new here in this character thread. I'm trying to 2nd main sheik in SSB4, so I'm starting to use her, I know I still have a lot to learn and I will try to catch up. Meanwhile I would love to get some feedback about my gameplay with her. Here is a friendlie match I played againts someone in my city. Hope you guys like it and help me improve my sheik. Thanks for taking the time watching the video.

Link:
- https://youtu.be/1_NVa7uyOUk
Players:
- :4falco: TSS|AFG vs :4sheik: 2FP|Chuck

Simikins

Nerfed
3DS FC
0447-8060-8710
Hello there, how are you guys? I'm new here in this character thread. I'm trying to 2nd main sheik in SSB4, so I'm starting to use her, I know I still have a lot to learn and I will try to catch up. Meanwhile I would love to get some feedback about my gameplay with her. Here is a friendlie match I played againts someone in my city. Hope you guys like it and help me improve my sheik. Thanks for taking the time watching the video.

Link:
- https://youtu.be/1_NVa7uyOUk
Players:
- :4falco: TSS|AFG vs :4sheik: 2FP|Chuck
You have good sm4sh fundamentals already, so it's just character specific stuff you need to learn.
Firstly, way too many Ftilts. Yes it's a great combo move but you were pretty much spamming it. Change it up a bit.
The main thing though, is lack of follow ups. Sheik lives on follow ups. There were times when you'd hit a Fair that could've combo'd into BF, but you just fade back and throw a needle. Basically, you need to learn percents that certain moves combo. I also noticed you'd gotten into the habit of Ftilting immediately after a fair, even at high percents. Gotta get out of that habit. It's amazing at low percents, but at higher percents, you just missed a BF.
You're spacing is good, no issues there really.
Eerm...
Edgeguarding. You were doing some nice stuff, but a lot of the time you would just toss some needles. Get needles to Bf down, it's very effective. VERY effective.
And basically, try and learn tech. Go through the compendium (http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...ed-techniques-combos-and-tricks-wii-u.371988/) and learn all the little tricks. Have fun with movement as well. Sheik gets amazing movement capabilities from her needles.

That's all really. Except for a little personal note. Learn the flashy s**t, pull the flashy s**t. Sheik is about being flashy imo.
Love sheik and her ways. Good day.

HoSmash4

Smash Ace
Hey guys. So I'm figured that I've got a lot of flaws and I'm looking to see if people can help critique me. Also point out what I did right.

What I feel is I still could be more optimal with my punishes, and I discovered/realised that fthrow needles doesnt with when you have rage. I could be more safe with my fairs. I was edgeguarding purely with fairs which is just a habit. Anything you think is worth pointing out, I'd appreciate it if you can do so. Also I auto-piloting shorthops.

http://www.twitch.tv/nintendoid/v/16954920 8:19
http://www.twitch.tv/nintendoid/v/16956848
http://www.twitch.tv/nintendoid/v/16957392
http://www.twitch.tv/nintendoid/v/16958524
Sorry its in chunks,/framedrops but thats the channels/twitch's fault, lol.

Last edited:

suarsuar

Smash Apprentice
NNID
suarsuar

Man, I threw these games away harder than anything I have thrown away before.

However there were some things I was happy about and even some c-bouncing in there.

Thoughts?

Joaco

Triforce of Wisdom
NNID
JoacoRyu8
I finished 3rd on a tournament yesterday, these are the matches I lost. Please give me any advice, you'll help me a lot to become the best of my region. I was the higest placing Sheik in this tournament.

vs 2FP Mun (Luigi)

vs Gado (Rosa/Falcon)

Simikins

Nerfed
3DS FC
0447-8060-8710
I finished 3rd on a tournament yesterday, these are the matches I lost. Please give me any advice, you'll help me a lot to become the best of my region. I was the higest placing Sheik in this tournament.

vs 2FP Mun (Luigi)

vs Gado (Rosa/Falcon)
Set Vs Luigi:
- Bad things/things to improve -
Rolling in bad situations.
You seem to be in the habit of rolling whenever you are in a dangerous situation. Your opponent caught on, and started punishing your unsafe rolls. Sometimes you just have to run away and reset to neutral.
Spacing.
Versus Luigi, Sheik wins the neutral very easily, if your spacing is good. You need to abuse that fact, and space around more. You kept just running in and going for a grab or a Fair. Abuse the power of Sheik's neutral game!

Will edit more in later.

Last edited:

mineshaft798

Smash Rookie

vs 2FP Mun (Luigi)

vs Gado (Rosa/Falcon)
(Only watched the rosalina and falcon matches I'll add my thoughts on Luigi after I watch it)
Like what was stated above, rolling, you don't seem over reliant on it just bad timing, just try not to panic roll and roll only when necessary, perhaps spot dodge a bit more as well. Against rosalina, it seems like you weren't removing luma as much as you should, of course don't over commit to destroying it but try to notice the optimal times to do so and capitalize more efficiently, take full advantage of luma being gone that's your opportunity to shift the battle to your favor, it also seemed you weren't taking full advantage of your punishes, you would build chip damage and retreat which isn't exactly what you want to do against rosalina, she wants you to retreat try to put as much pressure on her as possible while at the same time not leaving yourself in a punishable position.

For falcon, mainly avoid leaving yourself in a punishable position, you went for f-smash, down-special, grabs, and u-smash at the wrong times and got punished most times, you want to avoid this as much as possible considering how much damage falcon can inflict from a simple punish as well as how early he can kill sheik, so don't fish too much be patient, try to combo him as much as you can until the high %s that's when it would be more justifiable to fish for kill moves, the reward is actually worth it considering sheik can combo him to high %s fairly well.

So essentially focus on rolling at the right times, avoid over committing since you don't really need to with sheik, and optimize your punishes

Last edited:

mineshaft798

Smash Rookie

vs 2FP Mun (Luigi)

vs Gado (Rosa/Falcon)
For the Luigi matches, generally the same issues, rolling and over committing, you're getting punished too much when you can play much safer, you should be using more nairs in your approaches to mix it up and sometimes even apply pressure safely, I also felt you were using needles and grabs too much and you got punished for it, try spacing more maybe even use forward-special (though yes this can be punishable which may seem contradictory to my point, but essentially Luigis only ranged option is his fireballs which will build chip damage, maybe lead into a grab combo at best, sheik can use forward-special to bait an approach and get him on your terms in close range where sheik would have the advantage, just don't be too predictable about it, of course needless are an option as well they both have their uses depending on the situation, I just feel you weren't using forward-special enough) and lastly abuse ledge guarding a bit more, Luigis recovery isn't especially safe, he can only recover with his down-special or recovery which sheik has options to deal with (namely bair, up-special, and bouncing fish) this will help you kill him earlier and can make the difference between you winning or losing the match, you used wall bounce bouncing fish to ledge guard him which worked out well for you but you didn't do it very often, if you used it a bit more it could have possibly won you the last match

Last edited:
Top Bottom