• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Thread

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
I feel this needs to be made here on the Game and Watch Boards, because there are way too many threads talking about the same thing here. The name really says it all, if you have a question, just post it here and hopefully some nice GnW player will answer it here, and hopefully it will cut down on random duplicate threads.

Please use, that's the only way it will work.:)

Neb

Smash Lord
Ugh...thank you?
I attempted something like this, but it wasn't very popular, its rotting in older threads right now.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Pierce7D started one in the Marth Boards and I have started one in the Lucario Boards, Wolf Boards, and now here, the Wolf one is really catching on. And thank you Neb.

Neb

Smash Lord
Here's a question, now that G&W's Bair can be countered by MK's SL, should I still spam it, and if not, what else should I do?
You need to mix-up your approaches, or not approach at all, and space properly. Shuttle Loop's horizontal range in the beginning frames isn't very long, its more vertical, so just space yourself better.

K 2

Smash Lord
You should force MK to approach. I think that's what the G&W boards (us) decided on. Play campy and use chef.

P.S. We finally got on of these simple question/answer threads...thank you

Faith

Smash Apprentice
So I've been playing G&W for a while now and want a second character to support him as in counter pick.
What characters give G&W a disadvantage and which character could counter the ones they pick ;3

Gishnak

Smash Ace
So I've been playing G&W for a while now and want a second character to support him as in counter pick.
What characters give G&W a disadvantage and which character could counter the ones they pick ;3
Mk for what should be obvious reasons.

But GW's hard matchups: MK, Snake, Marth.

So some good counter picks against both Snake and Marth: Rob, dedede.

zzz99

Smash Apprentice
i sometimes get gimped by my opponent grabbing the ledge when i'm just about to up-b (i'm too far away to land back on the stage) and i end up falling to my death D:
is there anyway around this? i find it to be extremely annoying

pockyD

Smash Legend
...up-b earlier

with the auto-sweetspot, there's no reason to wait until the last minute to up-b

if you are barely going to make it for some reason, you could always just recover high and take advantage of the parachute to get more recovery distance

pockyD

Smash Legend
real auto-canceling means you land in a certain frame window (near the end of the movie, or the very start, though the start isn't really practical because it's usually before the hitbox comes out) where instead of getting the move's innate landing lag, you get the standard landing lag (as if you did no move)

"auto-canceling" when people speak of it includes not only the real definition (landing in that window), but also finishing a move's animation completely before you land, such that you could even potentially perform another action (such as double jumping) before you land - this is what most people refer to when they talk about g/w's "auto-canceled" nair, even though it's generally a misnomer

so anyways, in the smashboards vernacular, auto-canceling is doing a move and landing with nothing but the default landing lag, as if you performed no move. it has nothing to do with the amount of lag a move normally provides, because you are aiming to remove that lag completely

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Im having trouble playing Olimar.His amazing grab/smash range is messing me up.I still win but barely.Is this a bad match for G&W or am I doing something wrong.

I have no problem edgeguarding him it just getting him off the edge is the problem.

K 2

Smash Lord
Im having trouble playing Olimar.His amazing grab/smash range is messing me up.I still win but barely.Is this a bad match for G&W or am I doing something wrong.

I have no problem edgeguarding him it just getting him off the edge is the problem.
From the match-up guide:

Olimar: (6/4)

General Matchup:
Olimar's claim to fame is his ability to force his opponent to approach him by throwing the pikmin onto his opponent. This can quickly rack up a lot of damage if the pikmin go uncontested and can easily assist olimar into landing very early kills.
Olimar's most frequent kill move is the upsmash. Its his fastest smash as far as i know, is the strongest, and is the easiest to setup. It has a decent sized hitbox in front of him allowing for it to be used almost like a second forward smash. When at higher percents, purple pikmin can really hurt in the form of fairs/bairs and fsmashes. Also watch out for his back/up grab kills which, especially if blue pikmin are used, can hurt pretty early on.
Olimar's recovery is potentially one of the worst in the game, which isn't news to most people. GW's ability to gimp this recovery is readily available through the use of his quick disjointed tilts and aerials.
Because olimar is so bad off of the stage, you won't find olimars edgeguarding you too often. If they do try, go very low and you shouldn't have much trouble avoiding them.
Olimar's combo game mostly revolves around him landing grabs. A down throw can very easily set up to a dashing up smash (and then up airs and even an up b maybe) or another dash grab. Although mostly overlooked, falling nairs to uptilts and then up airs can also rack up a lot of damage too.
GW's combos on olimar don't look too different compared to most other characters. Olimar has super armor frames in the down b whistle attack, which could help him to power through some of your single hitting attacks and then make a quick counterattack. Down throw to dsmash works unless they tech per usual (olimar can't buffer a roll fast enough).

General Strategies:
The most imporant thing in this match to keep in mind is to always be nullifying his attempts to land sneak damage. If he gets distance, he'll probably start chucking pikmin, which you should always dtilt or nair away.
Try your best to keep olimar in the air. His best moves are done on the ground, so having him in the air takes away his best attributes. His aerials have low priority/range so you should be mostly uncontested.
The dtilt will go through all of olimar's approaches except for the grab. Even the fsmash is trounced by the mighty dtilt. Because olimar's aerials have poor range you will find yourself beating him almost all the time (olimar's up air will go through the key about half the time, keep this in mind).
Olimar players are very used to using the upward priority of their upsmash to ward off opponents approaching from above. The key will always go through the upsmash, and most of the time you can catch the olimar off guard.
Most of your kills will be landed through tech chases from the dsmash, random smashes you might be able to set up, but mostly through gimps. Learn to take away the olimar's double jump whenever they use it thought up b's/fairs/bairs/keys/dtilts. Once their jump is gone just hog the edge and get ready to tech/roll to the stage. Never go back onto the stage until you are absolutely sure he is dead, the up b reaches farther than you think.
If spaced correctly, the turtle can outreach the standing grab from olimar, however if they dash away and then back he will likely grab you. Try to avoid using fairs on their shield as the grab will usually punish you. Make good use of nairs and dodge to grabs from the air to approach. Any grab landed will likely end in a smash, and the nair will probably catch them and pop them up for further combo'ing.
I've heard rumors that the standing grab will reach below the stage, and has the potential to grab you out of your up b. If this does happen, then you will lose your stock as you are unable to up b after someone grabs you out of it. If this is true, the timing would be quite difficult I imagine, so just keep in mind although i don't think you will see it very often.

Stages:
Any stage with reduced amounts of ledges, or moving stages really hurt olimar a lot. Stages like rainbow cruise and frigate orpheon come to mind.
Avoid stages with excessive amounts of ledges, like norfair. This makes it almost impossible for you to edgehog them on a stage like this makes the battle quite a bit harder.

pockyD

Smash Legend
dash attack's hitbox sends them behind you, so if they are hanging on the edge or about at that level, if you hit them into the dash attack, it will suck them in towards you, bounce them off the edge of the stage, and send them away

it's not a real spike, if that's what you were wondering

Veng

Smash Ace
So is there a trick to GW?

or just use his Bair alot, uair unstale, tilts like dtilt edge guard, fair if you cant turn around in time, nair works for above opponents, b = taunt or at people returning for fun it can be a pressure move, fsmash, dsmash, usmash for KOing.... is it really that hard?

K 2

Smash Lord
How do you Spike with Dash Attack?
It's a stage spike, to be technically correct.

So is there a trick to GW?

or just use his Bair alot, uair unstale, tilts like dtilt edge guard, fair if you cant turn around in time, nair works for above opponents, b = taunt or at people returning for fun it can be a pressure move, fsmash, dsmash, usmash for KOing.... is it really that hard?
Yes, because if you screw up your spacing on bair, you die. If you whiff and usmash, you die. If you SH or FF and fair, you die. It's definately hard. Is it dynamic and creative? Not so much.

Neb

Smash Lord
Ah, I see. Thanks.

Next question, how do you spike with Dair?
Perform dair against/on your opponent during the initial frames.
Only the beginning will spike, G&W has to be in some form of contact with the intended-victim.

napZzz

Smash Hero
I have a question. Wheres game and watches g-spot? jk.

I'm trying to play him again but...I'm having trouble using bair @_@

Either I'm retarted from using too much snake or I'm just doing things wrong...so what I'm asking is what are the best ways to bair without being punished and just pulling it off?

K 2

Smash Lord
I have a question. Wheres game and watches g-spot? jk.

I'm trying to play him again but...I'm having trouble using bair @_@

Either I'm retarted from using too much snake or I'm just doing things wrong...so what I'm asking is what are the best ways to bair without being punished and just pulling it off?
Work on spacing the bair and hitting with the head of the turtle. Learning to RAR helps a ton. Bair will eat your opponents sheild alive if they dare shield you bair and it will shield poke them on more than one occasion. The landing lag on bair is minimal so you can repetively SH and bair for a psueda wall of pain. Bair should be your main approach and you main defence against projectiles/aerial approaches.

If you can't even Bair, how do you expect to pull off my combo?
Your combo? What's that?

napZzz

Smash Hero
If you can't even Bair, how do you expect to pull off my combo?
lolololololoolol
Work on spacing the bair and hitting with the head of the turtle. Learning to RAR helps a ton. Bair will eat your opponents sheild alive if they dare shield you bair and it will shield poke them on more than one occasion. The landing lag on bair is minimal so you can repetively SH and bair for a psueda wall of pain. Bair should be your main approach and you main defence against projectiles/aerial approaches.

Your combo? What's that?
I know how to RAR and always have, I mained game and watch when brawl was first out then quit playing him forever and ever and wanna start him up again.

I have trouble fighting those overly defensive people because game and watches aerials are so easy to see coming, I need moar mindgames T_T

K 2

Smash Lord
lolololololoolol

I know how to RAR and always have, I mained game and watch when brawl was first out then quit playing him forever and ever and wanna start him up again.

I have trouble fighting those overly defensive people because game and watches aerials are so easy to see coming, I need moar mindgames T_T
If the sheild your bair, just space properly to avoid a shield grab.

If they spotdodge, you can fake a bair to bait out a spotdodge and then punish with a tilt.

If they roll towards you, fake a bair, then punish with a smash.

If they jump, they get hit.

If they roll away, they escape, but you're safe from a counterattack.

If the run away, umm...chase them?

Use empty shorthops. That mightl trip up your opponent into thinking you will bair. If they catch onto the empty shorthops and don't react to your feint, then just bair and punish them.

K 2

Smash Lord
I got a question: To up b out of a shield, do you have to jump, then up b? or can you up b directly out of a shield? I use tap jump off.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
I got a question: To up b out of a shield, do you have to jump, then up b? or can you up b directly out of a shield? I use tap jump off.

If my melee memory serves me correctly, you can up-b out of shield without jumping.

Doubt they changed it in brawl.

Top Bottom