• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Qusestion. Get an Answer.

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
In an effort to reduce redundant topics, I present to you "The Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread."

Although it's quite self explanatory, here is how it works...

1) Post a question in this thread.
2) Wait for a response from one of the Falco board regulars.

There are some general rules for anyone in this thread to follow:

1) Read the sticky's first before posting a new topic or asking a question.
2) No spam.
3) Be respectful and courteous.
4) Questions should be specific. Answers should be complete.

And obviously, all forum rules apply.

--Darx

Last edited:

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
ZomG how does I doo that combo where u doo a dash atack then a upsmash reelly fast???!1/!?//1?!??!

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
ZomG how does I doo that combo where u doo a dash atack then a upsmash reelly fast???!1/!?//1?!??!
It's hard for me too. I use the C-Stick as Smash. When you move the C-Stick to the side (kicking the opponent), right when it hits your opponent or maybe before, immediately hit it up. It takes a couple of tries and a lot of practice to master, once you get it, you'll get used to it.

zomg how do i do SHDL????? :chuckle:

To posters: Look at this video before you ask a question please.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnR-qxoGngU

If you can't find the answer there, then it must be a really hard question lol. Falco isn't that hard to play imo.
I've watched that a couple of times. It's a good combo video. btw I do a SHDL by when I get up at the top of the jump, I immediately press B twice, and most of the time I get double lasers, don't press B more than twice, because you might get stuck into a Lag Laser (Regular).

Now for my question, it's pretty dumb question IMO, but I don't know the answer. How do you do a Short Phantasm? Can someone help me?

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
First of all, I think Angel was sorta...y'know...joking around.

For your question, you press B two times really fast. (right?)

Mith_

Smash Champion
It's hard for me too. I use the C-Stick as Smash. When you move the C-Stick to the side (kicking the opponent), right when it hits your opponent or maybe before, immediately hit it up. It takes a couple of tries and a lot of practice to master, once you get it, you'll get used to it.

I've watched that a couple of times. It's a good combo video. btw I do a SHDL by when I get up at the top of the jump, I immediately press B twice, and most of the time I get double lasers, don't press B more than twice, because you might get stuck into a Lag Laser (Regular).

Now for my question, it's pretty dumb question IMO, but I don't know the answer. How do you do a Short Phantasm? Can someone help me?
You serious?

Me and Angel were joking, and it shows you how to do a shortened Phantasm in the vid. I'm sure of it.

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
You serious?

Me and Angel were joking, and it shows you how to do a shortened Phantasm in the vid. I'm sure of it.
Sorry, I was trying to help. Didn't know if you were joking or not. :ohwell:

@ S.O.L.I.D. and Naked Dedede - Thanks, for answering

Mith_

Smash Champion
Well, yea, I was joking sorry. At least you answered me though instead of telling me to search :/

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
Well, yea, I was joking sorry. At least you answered me though instead of telling me to search :/
Eh, don't worry about it. People make dumb mistakes, I guess I didn't read the sarcasm in the posts, especially angels with all the question marks there.

Denzi

Smash Master
Lol.
Yea, somebody comes here everyday and asks how to do SHDL or Gatling Combo, etc.
I know, really.

On a serious note (trying to get this thread actually started), When would be a good time to throw out a jab cancel?

J4pu

Smash Champion
lol this thread is ironic because it is spam itself
whether or not that is the intent (and I'm sure it isn't) this is the 2nd thread made for this reason in the past 2 weeks or so, the other one just sorta died off (like I predicted it would) and so will this one, no offense but we have stickies for this reason, if they don't read stickies what makes you think they will read this thread for answers?

Denzi

Smash Master
The guides just adress the moves/AT's themselves, they don't really say the best time/when to use them.

If we try, can't we make it work?

J4pu

Smash Champion
The guides just adress the moves/AT's themselves, they don't really say the best time/when to use them.

If we try, can't we make it work?
just remember this 2 weeks from now when another thread like this is made and this one is on like page 4 or something

Mith_

Smash Champion
I know, really.

On a serious note (trying to get this thread actually started), When would be a good time to throw out a jab cancel?
I don't really use Jab cancels, but I've seen them in action and they are beastly.

I'd say use it to punish a laggy attach instead of any other move. I think Falco can jabwalk. (I saw him do it in the vid)

Daea

Smash Cadet
I mentioned this in the thread that someone made on jab-canceling, so it's basically the same thing I said there:

One reason why sk92 and other good falcos are very successful with the whole jab cancel > grab is because they may use the AAA combo first - this then conditions their opponent into being afraid of the AAA combo. Consequently, the next time they're hit by another first jab, they shield and try to get away, which sets them up to be grabbed. This is in general how you should use the jab-cancel, by first conditioning your opponent to be wary of the AAA combo.

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
Jab cancel, to me, is just another way to keep your opponent guessing. Falco is pretty fragile overall, so keeping your opponent from predicting your next move is vital. Just throw one out there occasionally to keep them on their toes.

Denzi

Smash Master
just remember this 2 weeks from now when another thread like this is made and this one is on like page 4 or something
That doesn't sound like the opinion of someone who wants to try, now does it?

@everyone else: Thanks for your answers.

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
All right, I have a questions, if someone could answer them I'd appreciate it.

What's the best technique on learning how to Short Phantasm?

syco1337

Smash Rookie
^ there no really way to describe it...you just have to practice the timing of it but ill try to explain a little more
normally when you phantasm, you hear this ZING sound, pressing b right when you hear it will result in a medium length cancel, pressing b before you hear it will result in a much shorter phantasm, and b right after will result in a phantasm thats about the same length.
but you have to practice a lot until its instinct after you decide "i want to do a short phantasm" then you instinctively do it.

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
^ there no really way to describe it...you just have to practice the timing of it but ill try to explain a little more
normally when you phantasm, you hear this ZING sound, pressing b right when you hear it will result in a medium length cancel, pressing b before you hear it will result in a much shorter phantasm, and b right after will result in a phantasm thats about the same length.
but you have to practice a lot until its instinct after you decide "i want to do a short phantasm" then you instinctively do it.
Yeah lol, it will come to me soon. Thanks for helping, it's much appreciated.

Denzi

Smash Master
What's the best technique on learning how to Short Phantasm?
I learned it by looking at the sparkle(ooh shiney) at Falco's foot. It takes additional practice to get short and long, but start by pressing B about when you see it (the sparkle).

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
What stages would you say are the best suited for Falco, and which would you say are the worst for Falco? I know there is the Stage discussion, but they don't have a lot of stages done.

I learned it by looking at the sparkle(ooh shiney) at Falco's foot. It takes additional practice to get short and long, but start by pressing B about when you see it (the sparkle).
All right, won't hurt to try. Thanks for the suggestion.

ftl

Smash Journeyman
What stages would you say are the best suited for Falco, and which would you say are the worst for Falco? I know there is the Stage discussion, but they don't have a lot of stages done.

All right, won't hurt to try. Thanks for the suggestion.
Jungle Japes is where Falco owns everyone.

Something big and flat like FD is pretty good against a lot of characters.

You might want to take a look at http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=197509 . It's what people started for figuring out which stages were good counterpicks for Falco and against Falco, by character. Things that appear a lot in the "counterpick this" color are good for Falco, things that appear a lot in the "ban this so they don't counterpick it" area are worst for Falco. Looks like Lylat, Halberd, appear a good deal in the 'stay away' columnn.

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
Jungle Japes is where Falco owns everyone.

Something big and flat like FD is pretty good against a lot of characters.

You might want to take a look at http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=197509 . It's what people started for figuring out which stages were good counterpicks for Falco and against Falco, by character. Things that appear a lot in the "counterpick this" color are good for Falco, things that appear a lot in the "ban this so they don't counterpick it" area are worst for Falco. Looks like Lylat, Halberd, appear a good deal in the 'stay away' columnn.
All right, thanks man. Appreciate the help.

XxBlackxX

Smash Ace
erh...well it depends, why are you falling in in the first place (i know that sounded a lil weird lol)?

Denzi

Smash Master
Got hit/footstooled/ledgehogged into the water. How do I minimize the chances of this happening and recover when it does?

XxBlackxX

Smash Ace
well, im not really sure about minimizing your chances of it. if your opponent is good enough / you are bad enough (no offense) that you are getting spiked/footstooled/edgehogged in the water many times in a game, you need to improve on your edge game. however i know that it will happen probably once or twice. if you are hit off the right side, it is quite easy, just time your jumps so that you emerge out of the left side and phantasm. if youre hit off the right side, it is a lot trickier, but dont panic and waste your jumps/mistime it. also, if you get trapped by the thing, thats just bad luck lol.

Denzi

Smash Master
*clap-trap is evil*

I was actually more wondering whether or not my position onstage would help/hinder my chances of survival.
I try to stay on the left side for easy kills, it just backfires a lot. Any strategies/suggestions?

XxBlackxX

Smash Ace
actually, since the water goes left, getting spiked into the water on the left side is FAR more dangerous than the right side, but it works both ways and we happen to main falco, a character than can cg>spike quite efficiently. so its kinda a risk-rewards thing, its easier to get kills, but easier to get killed. a solution might be doing a couple grabs across the middle platform when theyre at low percentages.

Denzi

Smash Master
Alright, thanks for your help. Glad to see some people care enough to actually post in the Q&A thread.

STMH

Smash Cadet
jungle japes? the melee one? just keep spiking your opponents into the water and watch then die. if your in the water just keep pressing jump to hopefully get outta the water and fiyahbird. it pretty much depends on what's going on. try simulate the situation in your mind then try think of ways to get out in time. i always do that. but if you really can't think of something useful then just versus someone and try some ways on how you can get out. or training mode.

K 2

Smash Lord
1) Does falco have any infinites (including wall infinites)? I know many character can dtilt lock or something against a wall. I already know about laser lock.
2) Can you laser lock when they trip?
3) Can you get spike out of phantasm? Are invincible or do you have high priority during that move?

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
1) Does falco have any infinites (including wall infinites)? I know many character can dtilt lock or something against a wall. I already know about laser lock.
2) Can you laser lock when they trip?
3) Can you get spike out of phantasm? Are invincible or do you have high priority during that move?
1. I don't think he has any true infinites other than laser lock against a wall. I've seen Jab combo hold people against a wall for a long time, but they can DI out eventually.

2. No, it's the wrong kind of trip animation. That would be awesome, though!

3. You actually have fairly poor priority and can be hit out of it. The only way it's going to spike is if they jump out to meet you and don't do any moves while you sweet spot it. Almost any aerial will outprioritize it, as will most grounded attacks if they can time it right.

It's not a reliable spike, and I think it should just be taken as a lucky break when you get one, rather than something you should be trying for. It's not like Falco doesn't already have a great spike available.

Top Bottom