• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

Sar

Smash Journeyman
Thanks guys, helped out a lot.

And yeah its true that grabs are good. It's just discouraging when you do get the grab and then do... 6 damage. Discouraging but essential.

C.J.

Smash Master
Ehh, super player dependent. I'll do a more detailed explanation when i feel like getting up to go to my computer.

:phone:

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
I'd do aerials from low to mid %s, and let the % I grab them at in the high damage range + move decay dictate what I'd use next

KillerAP

Banned via Warnings
How do you pivot grab on the spot i.e. from standing? I mean the one with the sliding animation like when dashing, I've done it by accident a few times and figured if it exists I should learn it.

Also, is reversing a foxtrot into a grab reasonable/safe/etc?

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
How do you pivot grab on the spot i.e. from standing? I mean the one with the sliding animation like when dashing, I've done it by accident a few times and figured if it exists I should learn it.

Input a dash and then directly after press the opposite direction + Z

There's a raised risk of tripping but it couldn't hurt as a mixup in your grab game.

KillerAP

Banned via Warnings
1) Why is wavebouncing not really used (at least from what I've seen) by Marths? I feel like it could be something to use when falling back with a fair/nair, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

2) I've just started to try to play competitively (went to one tourney but didn't use Marth), but I don't have too many chances to play with other people, about once a week. How does one practice on one's own as a Marth?

C.J.

Smash Master
1) Why is wavebouncing not really used (at least from what I've seen) by Marths? I feel like it could be something to use when falling back with a fair/nair, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

2) I've just started to try to play competitively (went to one tourney but didn't use Marth), but I don't have too many chances to play with other people, about once a week. How does one practice on one's own as a Marth?
What are you going to wavebounce with? SB? Lags too hard (on top of slowish start-up) to be a reliable mix-up. DB1 is weird w/ momentum so you won't really move anywhere and just have your hitboxes shifted around some. Counter has the combined issues of both the above + having no cover on his feet.

Spacing spacing spacing is the most important thing you can practice alone. Secondary to that, more spacing.

Movement/character control is also top tier in things to punish. Outside of that, get your auto-pilot/follow-ups down perfectly Have your low % grab options + GR options down perfectly as well.

How should you punish when you know somebody is going to bait a counter?

You... hit them. If they're waiting for counter, that means they're not using an attack. So you can just hit them.

Expect my aforementioned Wario things in a thread I'm making atm.

SSS

Smash Ace
What are you going to wavebounce with? SB? Lags too hard (on top of slowish start-up) to be a reliable mix-up. DB1 is weird w/ momentum so you won't really move anywhere and just have your hitboxes shifted around some. Counter has the combined issues of both the above + having no cover on his feet.

Spacing spacing spacing is the most important thing you can practice alone. Secondary to that, more spacing.

Movement/character control is also top tier in things to punish. Outside of that, get your auto-pilot/follow-ups down perfectly Have your low % grab options + GR options down perfectly as well.

You... hit them. If they're waiting for counter, that means they're not using an attack. So you can just hit them.

Expect my aforementioned Wario things in a thread I'm making atm.
I guess my question is how do you bait a counter bait?

C.J.

Smash Master
You don't- Counter is a move you should almost never use. Your opponent shouldn't be expecting counter as a result.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I'm pretty sure it has to do with the knockback caused by Kirby's Fsmash.... Maybe a better video quality (or at least less shaky) could help to see what happened.

C.J.

Smash Master
When carrying momentum, (usually through windboxes but apparently residual slide works as well), Marth's DB causes a huge slide. For the easiest example, go to PS2, wait until the treadmills, get on one facing outwards, right before you go off the ledge, use DB1 and you'll go flying.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
No wonder you Marth mains are doing so well...you guys spend lots of time talking/developing/helping new players. You guys are like the ideal character forum :D

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Marth boards happen to have (mainly) Shaya, Pierce and CJ, who really help players with technical stuff, specific data, theorycraft, and much more.

Kel

Smash Master
What does the castle siege thing do?

And yes, the Marth boards are amazing.

I personally always GR usmash wario as it does the most damage/ unstales other moves you will typically hit Wario with. If I am under a platform, I GR to utilt him. If I grab him at the very edge of a stage, I GR spike him. The only exception to this is when I know a GR tipper fsmash will hit/ I am technically on at the time. If you miss a GR you will get uaired or wafted. I never do the reverse tipper fsmash, as it seems unneccessary and the timing is super hard. regular tipper fsmash is fairly easy to time as you just dash and fsmash essentially asap.

C.J.

Smash Master
@prophetic- yeah, me, shaya, pierce, steel, EL, active neo, junk

Was nice

Kel- my new thread has a section about gr on wario and pros for each option.
Also, reverse fsmash sends at a "straighter" angle so it is harder to DI effectively.

C.J.

Smash Master
Nah, it's just muscle memory. I saw ramin and leon get it ten plus straight times at apex.

clowsui

Smash Legend
It's also nearly impossible to do, unless I'm missing something.
No it isn't

Do it on reaction

don't do it as a timing input. that messes w you as percentages change.

do it according to the wario's height. you will achieve 80-90% consistency this way. vs blue rogue at RAGE when we did our MM i achieved something like 5/9 kills from grab release fsmash and i also landed about 1-2 more that didn't kill.

forward facing fsmash is possible from GR btw. should be a minor stutter forward. when the wario is just a little bit above where the tip of your sword would be if you fsmashed right there, do the fsmash. if you practice enough you'll be able to easily tell if you're doing it too early or late

Kel

Smash Master
Yeah I can do it facing forward pretty consistantly. I don't really get how the reverse one is supposed to be easy though. It seems you have to do the opposite way Fsmash on one of the last frames of Marth's dash animation. It seems too risky when GR regular tipper Fsmash is much easier to time.

Kel

Smash Master
When doing forward tipper Fsmash I just hit over on the joystick and c stick almost together as soon as I get control of marth.

When I try that with reverse tipper fsmash my sword doesn't reach Wario's ***

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
@ castle siege.

Unlike PS2 where marth flies off horizontally, on castle siege if he dbs well, he goes flying off vertically.

Other than Smashville's platform, Marth gets fair, nair and uair out of grab releases on wario. Doing fair is actually really good on BF for example early because his only escape option is going to the top platform from that situation, so you can hard read and hopefully **** him out of a jump.

Top Bottom