• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Nintendo Confirms Support for Upcoming Competitive Smash Bros. Event, Genesis 3

"Fans of competitive Super Smash Bros. tournaments have something to look forward to in the coming week - Genesis 3 is taking place in San Jose, with thousands of entrants and an ongoing rivalry lined up.

The rivalry in question is between Mango and Armada, who made the Melee top two in 2009 and 2011 in the previous two Genesis events - their progress in the tournament will no doubt be a focus for plenty that watch. Mew2King and Hungrybox are also confirmed among various others, with those two well-known competitors doubling up in the Melee and Wii U events. In total there are apparently 1840 signed up for Melee, 1097 for Smash Bros. 4 and 239 for the N64 original.

Nintendo is also backing this event for the first time."

nanakyou

Smash Rookie
I made this in mupen lua for (J). Do you know something similar thing for (U)?

Last edited:

Tom Bombadil

Smash Journeyman
If Link has a bomb out and he upB's then the bomb explodes, is there a controllable way to ensure that he gets hit towards the stage by the explosion?

Grahamaglam

Smash Journeyman
I think if your holding a bomb, it will push you away from where you're facing. You can turn link around by throwing a boomerang away from the stage as soon as you do your air jump and up b which will push you towards the stage but you won't be facing the ledge.
You could do link's extended bomb recovery too. Just soft throw the bomb down and back air it and it will push you towards the ledge but also turns link around and face the wrong direction.

Last edited:

Madao

Very interesting! I do not know of anything similar for (U). I might try to look into this. The idea of showing the hitstun counter is pretty neat, for training mode. I think I know how to make a code for it. I just never thought about doing it that way.

nanakyou

Smash Rookie
Very interesting! I do not know of anything similar for (U). I might try to look into this. The idea of showing the hitstun counter is pretty neat, for training mode. I think I know how to make a code for it. I just never thought about doing it that way.
Thank you. It is thanks to your data, So please use this idea ! Good luck!

HCRAYERT

Smash Apprentice
Does smash bros 64 have any advant age over melee and project m like advance techniques combos etc please be detailed on your answer.

Kidney Thief

Smash Journeyman
Hello, I just finished watching G3 and I've decided to buy smash 64. I can't play yet, but I want to get hype about it and think about what character I could be playing once I get it. I've been playng melee competitively for over 2 years now and I want to play a character similar to peach, the most important thing to me is a character that has good space control, I want to corner others and cut their options one by one until they have zero. What characters would best fit this description? I'm open to all characters, high tier or low tier, as long as I can play this specific playstyle

Last edited:

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
Hello, I just finished watching G3 and I've decided to buy smash 64. I can't play yet, but I want to get hype about it and think about what character I could be playing once I get it. I've been playng melee competitively for over 2 years now and I want to play a character similar to peach, the most important thing to me is a character that has good space control, I want to corner others and cut their options one by one until they have zero. What characters would best fit this description? I'm open to all characters, high tier or low tier, as long as I can play this specific playstyle
Welcome to 64! its great to see a new player! and to be honest im not really sure, so I'll wait till some one more experienced answers

Saltsizzle

Smash Journeyman
Try Fox or Mario. Both have good projectiles, can force approaches, have decent down smashes and dash attacks.

B Link

Smash Lord

Hey, I got it all to work. I have some requests though:
- Could you set it so that the coordinates change by a value of 1 instead of 10 for X?
- Same with Y
- Also on dreamland the only Y options are 0, 910, and 1512 for some reason, can this be changed?

This would be a very useful program for testing stuff if you could do the above for me, thanks! :)

Also, can someone make one for U version?

EDIT:
- Because of this program, I have found the coordinates for falcon's UpB dive cancel on Sector Z:

X: -7130 to -7150
Y: 970-980

It appears that this is not really a "tech" though, because as far as I can tell you need to freeze falcon at those coordinates after the upb for it to work.

Last edited:

nanakyou

Smash Rookie
Hey, I got it all to work. I have some requests though:
- Could you set it so that the coordinates change by a value of 1 instead of 10 for X?
- Same with Y
- Also on dreamland the only Y options are 0, 910, and 1512 for some reason, can this be changed?

This would be a very useful program for testing stuff if you could do the above for me, thanks! :)

Also, can someone make one for U version?

EDIT:
- Because of this program, I have found the coordinates for falcon's UpB dive cancel on Sector Z:

X: -7130 to -7150
Y: 970-980

It appears that this is not really a "tech" though, because as far as I can tell you need to freeze falcon at those coordinates after the upb for it to work.
Thank you for using! and these are very interesting.

- Same with Y
I can these and I will do.

It's easy to change. But I think to use Y is moving to platform in dreamland. When do you use other value?

And I have (U) version, so I can make this for (U). Please give me a time.

B Link

Smash Lord
Thank you for using! and these are very interesting.

I can these and I will do.

It's easy to change. But I think to use Y is moving to platform in dreamland. When do you use other value?

And I have (U) version, so I can make this for (U). Please give me a time.
Thank you so much :) I'm interested in discovering how the Pikachu upB glitch works. It looks like it requires both a specific angle and position.

nanakyou

Smash Rookie
Thank you so much :) I'm interested in discovering how the Pikachu upB glitch works. It looks like it requires both a specific angle and position.
OH! upB glitch! So I'm going to make 2 ver. One is Y options 0, 910, and 1512, the other Y options no limit.

You may already know, but ⊿X-Velocity is 0 in upB glitch. It's just teleportation in 1 frame.
Maybe it's similar to upB glitch...maybe. In congo jungle's edge, you can do this work.

B Link

Smash Lord
OH! upB glitch! So I'm going to make 2 ver. One is Y options 0, 910, and 1512, the other Y options no limit.

You may already know, but ⊿X-Velocity is 0 in upB glitch. It's just teleportation in 1 frame.
Maybe it's similar to upB glitch...maybe. In congo jungle's edge, you can do this work.
No, I didn't know that about the upB glitch. I have seen clipping from one side to the other taking 1 frame (e.g. if you clip into the bottom area of peaches castle). It seems to be a commonality among platforms, where if the character clips into the floor, the game says it's not possible (or something), so it redirects the character immediately outside of the floor as a solution.

I'm just curious about the angle required and what frame Pikachu is on during the glitch. I know that there's the upB glitch in BTP too so there seems to be a lot weird about this character's upB.

nanakyou

Smash Rookie
No, I didn't know that about the upB glitch. I have seen clipping from one side to the other taking 1 frame (e.g. if you clip into the bottom area of peaches castle). It seems to be a commonality among platforms, where if the character clips into the floor, the game says it's not possible (or something), so it redirects the character immediately outside of the floor as a solution.

I'm just curious about the angle required and what frame Pikachu is on during the glitch. I know that there's the upB glitch in BTP too so there seems to be a lot weird about this character's upB.

It was completed for (U) version! But maybe there are some errors. And there is no time, so I could make 800*600 version only.
There are a few points of change.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gdhbgvdsv2fo7p7/7mo read(U) 4.0.zip?dl=0

And maybe off-topic...? So I made thread.
http://smashboards.com/threads/tool-for-training-mode-「7mo」.429132/

NextPain

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nextpain
How to play smash 64 online on dolphin?

Last edited by a moderator:

breakthrough

Smash Journeyman
seems that at its fastest, shielding lags you by 14 frames while grabbing lasts 15 frames.
I love this type of information. However, I would suggest that pressing shield (for 3 frames or less) also has a higher chance of being an incorrect input in terms of holding it down too long. I personally feel like sometimes, grabbing is easier to correctly input in order to stop your momentum and thus would be a safer option that only has a 1 frame disadvantage. If you are tech chasing and they happen to do a get up attack, you're vulnerable to being hit. So each one has advantages and disadvantages. Not disagreeing with you at all, just a side note that came to my mind. I love frame data haha. Always makes me think.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
What's the best adapter for GCC-to-n64? Ideally one that doesn't jump with the c-stick lmao. My brother unwittingly ordered a raphnet one that does that- I get that the cstick could be considered analogous to the c buttons but it's not exactly in a good place to be used for jumping. And we aren't about to blow wads of cash on new 64 controllers, when GCCs are so cheap to get and replace.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
What's the best adapter for GCC-to-n64? Ideally one that doesn't jump with the c-stick lmao. My brother unwittingly ordered a raphnet one that does that- I get that the cstick could be considered analogous to the c buttons but it's not exactly in a good place to be used for jumping. And we aren't about to blow wads of cash on new 64 controllers, when GCCs are so cheap to get and replace.
Read the instructions that came with the raphnet adapter and on the site, you're supposed to setup your own bind configs and save them to the adapter.

Last edited:

Grahamaglam

Smash Journeyman
How do I edgeguard a Mario with Captain Falcon and Yoshi?
I'm not an expert in these characters, but when I sometimes play mario, falcon players will often grab the ledge and force we to land on the stage where they will then ledgehop and down air me at mid/high percents to pop me up and finishing me off with a kill move. Yoshi players will try to hit mario as he's trying to float back to the stage with eggs and sometimes use a low angled forward smash to hit mario as he tries to grab the ledge.

I don't know if these are the best options to use but they are some options that work pretty often.

nobleaggie

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I have been looking for good examples of DK combos, and I was wondering if there was a resource anywhere? Specifically I'm looking at up-air combos.

Nicholas Scalzi

Smash Rookie
Hey guys,
I have just started playing online on my mac, and its going as smooth as can be expected.
Just wondering if anyone knows how to calibrate the n64 controller on a mac?
I have the may flash adapter if that helps. my stick feels very slow and I find it very hard to dash/sprint.
sensitivity set to 80% and n64 range is unticked

breakthrough

Smash Journeyman
How do I edgeguard a Mario with Captain Falcon and Yoshi?
As captain falcon, the post below you has an effective way to edge guard. Boomfan once told me in the skype group awhile back that if he can't get the ledge hog in time he will try a dsmash. As yoshi I've seen players do a jump nair to trade with the mario's upb and then return to the stage with your second jump. I would not recommend a down b edge hog because he will out trade you and then you don't have a second jump.

Last edited:
Top Bottom