• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

Madao

What do you mean? So they tech on the same direction every time?
My goal is to use this for guaranteed tech chase set ups on platforms and near the ledges. Is there a way to make them tech randomlyrandomly?
Easiest way would probably be to write a program that reads the emulator data and sends random inputs for player 2 when it's time to tech. I think some japanese player made some hotkey program for tech chase practice, iirc.

It would be a lot more difficult to modify the actualy ROM data / come up with a large sequence of gameshark codes.

Krypto

Smash Cadet
I still don't know how to get these advanced CPUs on Smash 64 what is it and how do i get it ??? I wanna get better

Sangoku

Smash Master
I still don't know how to get these advanced CPUs on Smash 64 what is it and how do i get it ??? I wanna get better
Since I'm now irrelevant, here's a copy pasta:
...Some things that work against a CPU don't work against a real player and some things that work against a real player don't work against a CPU. This will only result in you developping an anti-CPU playstyle completely inefficient against a human being. Simple examples: 1) Kirby's rock works everytime against a CPU and almost never (or really situationally) against a real player. 2) Spamming rolls to dodge attacks/move on the stage. And there are a lot more. If you played against real players (and good ones) often, then it wouldn't do much harm to play CPUs, but CPUs only is a bad idea.
Shielding is just one element of the overall passive playstyle one would develop against a CPU (again, because it works), and why would you do differently if you only play CPUs? You see that a combo is working against a CPU and you see that a passive* playstyle is working against a CPU, how on earth would you know (if you never play good human players) that the former is something beneficial to keep, while the latter is detrimental to your game? The dilemna holds true for anything that works against a CPU, thus so many Kirby's rock spammers and roll spammers among non competitive players.
*Just so we agree on the definitions, passive doesn't mean defensive. While it is arguable that a defensive playstyle is optimal (or at least very good) in that game, it's not the case of being passive. Being defensive means you work a lot on your spacing (ie putting space between you and your opponent, moving to stay out of their range), while passive is waiting and shielding an aerial then punish on the landing lag (for example).
Having them tech or z-cancel may make you think they become better, but it doesn't change their intrinsic problem of repetitive patterns that you get accustomed to and intuitively play to counter that specific playstyle.

Bottom line is there is currently no advanced CPU.

Shears

Smash Master
Anyone have any experience writing macros for emulator, specifically project64kve? I've tried using different methods such as sendkeys and even postmessage/sendmessage using winapi but with no success. These methods have worked with other programs just not pj64kve. I have the correct window handle and process id yet whenever I try to send a virtual key to the emulator it is ignored. Anyone know what is going on?

Shears

Smash Master
Anyone have any experience writing macros for emulator, specifically project64kve? I've tried using different methods such as sendkeys and even postmessage/sendmessage using winapi but with no success. These methods have worked with other programs just not pj64kve. I have the correct window handle and process id yet whenever I try to send a virtual key to the emulator it is ignored. Anyone know what is going on?
Never mind noobs, I figured it out on my own. Get rekt. GGs.

Nexus| Taka

Fraudulent Doc Main
What method do you use to play Smash 64 in the highest quality off of a Nintendo 64 or is there a way to make it work flawless off of a wii?

Annex

Smash Ace
Wii is poop because it skips frames
If you have windows/Linux: PJ64kve with the latest glide plugin and a raphnet/mayflash N64->USB controller adapter
Allows netplay!

Morin0

Smash Lord
I think it's not as safe as drill jab up smash. Your opponent can DI behind you, and if you up smash, you are left vulnerable for a good while. Compare that to jabbing, which is faster than up smash, so it's a lot safer. Even if they DI behind you, you can turn around and jab since it comes out faster than up smash I think. Though adding the extra input might increase the margin for error in a high stress situation where a player wants to get rid of their stock quickly, so they opt for up smash out of drill, but it's not as safe/guaranteed as Mario's up smash for example. Mario's up smash starts from the middle, so it covers a good amount of DI on either side of Mario.

Shears

Smash Master
If you drill and usmash on shield, you get punished, if you drill then jab you can react to whether you should jab again, or usmash. It makes the decision and timing easier. Also, it can add extra damage to confirm the kill. Standing usmash I think they can DI into the ground and get some weird mechanic that won't happen when they are popped up by jab.

Additionally, the hitstun duration of drill might be less than the time it takes for the zcancel and first hitbox of usmash to come out. Jab has a hitbox that comes out in frame 3 while usmash has a hitbox that comes out in frame 6, so it might be the case that jab comes out before the hitstun of drill is over and then the hitstun of jab is long enough where the jab finishes and the hitbox of usmash can come out and connect.

Last edited:

Zr Icez

Smash Rookie
NNID
Kingdomhearts222
I'm new to the community I was wondering on how I could enter into tournaments , events ETC..sorry if I'm such a dumbass but just wondering.

tehz

Smash Apprentice
Madao Madao Do you have any recommendations on how to screencap full stages like how you did here? If I turn off all of the characters, I can't use the "camera control" values in your CC table to zoom out on the larger stages.

Madao

Madao Madao Do you have any recommendations on how to screencap full stages like how you did here? If I turn off all of the characters, I can't use the "camera control" values in your CC table to zoom out on the larger stages.
It's been a while since I played with the camera stuff. I'll have to test it out and get back to you on that. I'll be busy for the next week or so, but after that, I should be able to test it and maybe even figure out more info.

All I remember is that I had to use that invisible glitch, then put the character in the right spot and then tweaked the camera. I just don't remember the numbers I used.

ThePuffDaddy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
flashman69
Hi. I'm trying get to get into Smash 64 and I was wondering what are the benefits if any to playing Smash 64 on the N64 over the Virtual Console version?

Hikari198

Smash Cadet
A Fox related question here
https://youtu.be/YEWsUnSmmAw?t=956
I've seen this a number of times in ssb matches, when ppl drop through a platform and immediately down b shine with fox. What is this used for? I've been trying to work it out myself but still can't.

Shears

Smash Master
A Fox related question here
https://youtu.be/YEWsUnSmmAw?t=956
I've seen this a number of times in ssb matches, when ppl drop through a platform and immediately down b shine with fox. What is this used for? I've been trying to work it out myself but still can't.
I think that was supposed to be plat drop laser. Not everything a top level player does is on purpose. They make tons of mistakes and then are just good enough to correct them so you think it was intentional.

Morin0

Smash Lord
How does one practice this game when your local community is nonexistent and all the online players are on the east coast? I want to get in shape for Genesis 3, but I find it easier to just play Melee since SD has a big scene for it.

Last edited:

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
How does one practice this game when your local community is nonexistent and all the online players are on the east coast? I want to get in shape for Genesis 3, but I find it easier to just play Melee since SD has a big scene for it.
Why don't you train on console with the actual controller you're going to use instead of an online only controller?

Practice movement and **** until it's 2nd nature so you stop underperforming at console tournaments. You could also ask any local melee/PM groups/events if they're okay with you bringing a ssb64 setup if there's any people interested. I'm doing that for my local events with the eventual goal of making other players in my state good. This motivated several players of other games to play with me whenever I bring my setup.

Shears

Smash Master
the **** is this

didn't someone say puff daddy died

near tell the wc players to stop being ****ing **** and play the ****ing game online like people with sanity. they make the community toxic by being cohesive online. wc players are dum, cept u
Its clearly someone else who decided to adopt the same name. PuffDaddy is a name that isn't that hard to think of and has relevance to smash and any puff main. To be honest, I'm surprised we haven't seen more puffdaddys out there.

ThePuffDaddy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
flashman69
Oh ****, I didn't even know there was a guy with the same tag as me that died, but I've been using this name before he passed.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Just so I'm clear, are you legally allowed to run a SSB64 ROM on your PC if you own a physical copy of the game? I ask because the guy in this video makes a big issue of actually owning the cartridge version too.

T Brett

Smash Journeyman
Grizz you beauty, you don't need to own anything dude. Feel free to enjoy SSB however you see fit

Just so I'm clear, are you legally allowed to run a SSB64 ROM on your PC if you own a physical copy of the game? I ask because the guy in this video makes a big issue of actually owning the cartridge version too.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Grizz you beauty, you don't need to own anything dude. Feel free to enjoy SSB however you see fit
Cool!

So the ROM is a frame perfect reproduction of the cartridge version?

Sorry to be so stupid but I don't know much about emulation and also my computer is a piece of crap when it comes to running any kind of game. :chuckle:

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
ti
time for pizza server

Top Bottom