• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

Sedda

Smash Champion
Thanks for the helpful comment. He might not get his matches anyway, if a certain simmering doesn't end. It's not like I have anything to prove, I would just like to make it fun. If it happens, that is.
dont listen to anything caneut says ever.

honestly just practice z cancelling and moving smoothly around the stage and platforms. just watch any high level match with a character you use and watch the kinda movement they do between stocks. make sure you can be silky smooth

Annex

Smash Ace
easiest way to fake being good at this game is picking falcon and either usmashing or fthrowing into a bunch of uairs followed by an upb

ezpz

mixa

Banned via Warnings
I think the only way that would work - and I omitted this in my last post because of the unlikelihood - is if Pika timed the fair in such a way that there was very little time between the fair and the u-tilt (like in your example), and at the same time have the u-tilt timing coincide with the end of Yoshi's super armor.
too bad i really wish that was a legit edgegaurd
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aya40mLnyY&t=13m43s

that's a green light

The Star King

Smash Hero
With pika, are jab grabs always optimal over normal grabs if you are not dashing? Is there any risk to a jab grab?
Jab comes out a little faster.

Risk is they DI the jab and avoid the grab, it's pretty unlikely against Pikachu though because of his grab range.

or even something like crouch cancel shine (probably not but I remember one time someone pointed out Isai doing it once in some video)

also if the jab whiffs it's laggier than grab (you can avoid this to an extent if you can master no-hitlag jabgrab but that's still laggier by a few frames)

I prefer it most of the time with Pikachu but idk

Last edited:

mixa

Banned via Warnings
The only jabgrab character I play is Ness, and for him I'd say it's the opposite, i.e., in the same scenario, grab will connect, but jabgrab won't, because the jab pushed the opponent farther away than the grab can reach. At certain %s it's impossible to jabgrab with Ness. [...]
not sure what the context was but a risk is that at high %s even if the opponent doesn't DI you'll miss the grab from the jabgrab

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
With pika, are jab grabs always optimal over normal grabs if you are not dashing? Is there any risk to a jab grab?
even as pika u won't want to jabgrab at high% cuz the jab will push opponent out of range. its also risky if u miss the jab. i try to only do it if i feel confident it will land.

Shears

Smash Master
So I purchased the elgato video capture hardware/software as recommended by Karajan. The audio is all messed up and the video is ****. This is my first time attempting to record matches so I'm wondering if I screwed anything up. Heres what I did:

1. Bought elgato
2. Installed software
3. Bought A/V splitters
4. Connected A/V output of N64 to splitters with one end going into the tv (which ran perfectly fine) and the other end going into the elgato device
5. Ran eglato capture and recorded the matches
6. Split up the 2 hours of recording into each separate match and uploaded 1 video to youtube so far

Are there any tips/tricks to recording? Did I do something wrong? My computer is about 6 months old and cost $1000. So many people have recording equipment and never seem to have issues. Considering I paid over $100 for the equipment I just used I would expect to not have this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated so I can record an upload the matches from my weeklies.

Last edited:

Madao

Wow, that was pretty bad. How did the original 2 hour video play? I'm wondering if it was the editing that broke things, or if the original video was messed up to begin with. Also did youtube make the video worse, as far as the audio desync or anything?

I wish I could help more, but never had or even knew anyone who used the elgato.

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
My friend offered an elgato to me for 100, after a week I started to think about creating a funny lets play channel and maybe get big, I told him I was interested, he said he already sold it on eBay for 107 $ I was down the whole day

Shears

Smash Master
Wow, that was pretty bad. How did the original 2 hour video play? I'm wondering if it was the editing that broke things, or if the original video was messed up to begin with. Also did youtube make the video worse, as far as the audio desync or anything?

I wish I could help more, but never had or even knew anyone who used the elgato.
The original 2 hour video is the same. I just spliced the video into smaller pieces.

Could be a software setting.
Any suggestions on what ideal settings are?

My friend offered an elgato to me for 100, after a week I started to think about creating a funny lets play channel and maybe get big, I told him I was interested, he said he already sold it on eBay for 107 $ I was down the whole day
Karajan says he uses it and works perfectly so I'm not sure what the issue is.

Also thats not even the worst clip. One match if you watched it would make you jump off a bridge.

Last edited:

Shears

Smash Master
So I uploaded videos to my youtube channel, how do I upload them to the eastcoastssb channel? Do I have to do the upload all over again or can I just add them to the eastcoastssb playlists? I have the password to eastcoastssb but I have no clue what I'm doing because I'm a youtube noob.

Figured it out. Creating a playlist in youtube allows you to just link to other peoples videos.

Last edited:

Maniac379

Smash Rookie
So I have the emulator+rom setup and my controller usb adapter will be here Friday. How do I go about playing against you guys online/servers?

As in who wants to beat me up first? Ha

Shears

Smash Master
So I have the emulator+rom setup and my controller usb adapter will be here Friday. How do I go about playing against you guys online/servers?

As in who wants to beat me up first? Ha
Uninstall the emulator, delete the rom file, ask for a refund on the usb adapter, smash your computer to tiny pieces, and then drive to Baltimore every Wednesday night to play me and several others on console. If you're 21, or have a fake, you can then go out drinking and play more video games with us afterwards.

Last edited:

Maniac379

Smash Rookie
Uninstall the emulator, delete the rom file, ask for a refund on the usb adapter, smash your computer to tiny pieces, and then drive to Baltimore every Wednesday night to play me and several others on console. If you're 21, or have a fake, you can then go out drinking and play more video games with us afterwards.
Right. I'll just keep drinking in Ohio at college for another year.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
wow so is this the first 60 fps we get since apex?

http://gfycat.com/SereneImmenseArgusfish

tell me what is going on there. it's not even uncommon

1) DI ?
2) crouch cancel ?

i have problems with both of 1 and 2 / can't test anything, hence the question

(also, pika should've DI'ed to the ledge aka that DI no one does not sure why)

Saltsizzle

Smash Journeyman
2 questions unrelated to each other:

1) What is the best way to break out of a DK fthrow or a Kirby neutral b? Is the pattern rapidly pressing left right and A B repeatedly or another combination?

2) What is the best way to set up 2 player on the same emulator with pj64 (not online)? Mine currently only recognizes one controller at a time even with 2 controllers plugged in.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
it couldn't be crouch cancel because that's not how CC works

so I downloaded the game again and did a test: it's DI, pretty much

not gonna extend on that 'cause then I somehow expect commentators / forum ppl to know better in the future

The Star King

Smash Hero
I don't understand what's supposed to be weird about that gif

it just seems like normal DI

Last edited:

Cedricwa

Smash Apprentice
Hey! I have a question about camera control?

I recently just stumbled upon this video:
& I noticed that the camera is angled in a few different ways, and I'm wondering how this is done?

The debug menu or a gameshark code would be my guess, but after searching for a bit I couldn't find any information about it.
my guess is he did it in whatever video editing program he uses.

Madao

Hey! I have a question about camera control?

I recently just stumbled upon this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUVPq5RZ9Ko
& I noticed that the camera is angled in a few different ways, and I'm wondering how this is done?

The debug menu or a gameshark code would be my guess, but after searching for a bit I couldn't find any information about it.
They probably used gameshark. I posted the codes in my thread. You can find my thread in smash index. If you want to change it conveniently, then cheat engine is a better alternative.

Shears

Smash Master
After athenshorseparty posted his 1P mod run, I have a question about how the game interprets knockback with certain moves. Looking at yoshis/kirbys/polygon moves like kirby uair and upb kill better than kirbys fsmash, why is that? I also noticed playing the game at like 200% last week that the same thing applies, these weaker moves kill better than stronger moves. For example, with 200% damage setting if pika has 2% damage on dreamland and a kirby does upb and hits pika on the way down with pika being grounded, pika will die over the top while kirby usmash at 2% won't kill pika. Any explanation on this?

Also playing at 200% is a lot of fun and should be added to the YOLO ruleset.

Last edited:

The Star King

Smash Hero
After athenshorseparty posted his 1P mod run, I have a question about how the game interprets knockback with certain moves. Looking at yoshis/kirbys/polygon moves like kirby uair and upb kill better than kirbys fsmash, why is that? I also noticed playing the game at like 200% last week that the same thing applies, these weaker moves kill better than stronger moves. For example, with 200% damage setting if pika has 2% damage on dreamland and a kirby does upb and hits pika on the way down with pika being grounded, pika will die over the top while kirby usmash at 2% won't kill pika. Any explanation on this?

Also playing at 200% is a ot of fun and should be added to the YOLO ruleset.
Moves have base knockback, and knockback growth which adds knockback as % increases.

Some moves with set knockback (no knockback growth) like Kirby uair, Kirby upb, Yoshi dtilt, DK upb, Fox shine etc have high knockback for 0%, so those moves are good for in situations where knockback is increased such as Polygons or 200% mode since they can kill even at low %s.

Pikachu is sent further by Kirby upb than Kirby usmash at 2% normally, yeah? Remains true for 200% mode.

As far as I know from what I've observed etc

Last edited:

Cedricwa

Smash Apprentice
I was wondering, how do you guys use the controller? Do you use R for aerials or A? When doing a full jump to Up Air, do you use the stick for jumping into the up air, or the C buttons to jump and then attacking up air?

Also, pros/cons for using R/A for aerials? And pros/cons for C button/stick for jumping? (Besides obviously SH with c buttons)

Shears

Smash Master
Stick jump goes higher than C buttons. I rarely use stick jump but some people use it quite often. I interchange between R/A. I mostly use R for rising aerials because I can press a C button and then R faster than I can press a C button and slide my thumb to A and press that. If you're timing is wrong though you can easily mess up with R.

A pros:
-Its easily sequential. You always hit A after C so doing an immediate aerial off the ground results in the aerial being performed.
A cons:
-Time to slide and press from C to A is greater than time it takes to press C then R.
R pros:
-Time to press C then R is faster than sliding and pressing C to A so you can get aerials to come out quicker.
R cons:
-Can easily be done out of order or at the same time. If timing isn't right, you can press C and then R and instead of jumping and doing an aerial you might stay grounded and do usmash or grab and for some characters this is easily punishable.

In order to overcome either cons you need practice, I use R when I need to jump and aerial immediately and A when I'm not required to aerial immediately.

Annex

Smash Ace
And pros/cons for C button/stick for jumping? (Besides obviously SH with c buttons)
Fox, yoshi, link and ness can't get to the side plats on DL with a running full C button press but they CAN get on there with a running full stick jump

edit: everyone else can reach it using either

Last edited:

Cedricwa

Smash Apprentice
Stick jump goes higher than C buttons. I rarely use stick jump but some people use it quite often. I interchange between R/A. I mostly use R for rising aerials because I can press a C button and then R faster than I can press a C button and slide my thumb to A and press that. If you're timing is wrong though you can easily mess up with R.

A pros:
-Its easily sequential. You always hit A after C so doing an immediate aerial off the ground results in the aerial being performed.
A cons:
-Time to slide and press from C to A is greater than time it takes to press C then R.
R pros:
-Time to press C then R is faster than sliding and pressing C to A so you can get aerials to come out quicker.
R cons:
-Can easily be done out of order or at the same time. If timing isn't right, you can press C and then R and instead of jumping and doing an aerial you might stay grounded and do usmash or grab and for some characters this is easily punishable.

In order to overcome either cons you need practice, I use R when I need to jump and aerial immediately and A when I'm not required to aerial immediately.
I find myself doing the same thing. Usually when I'm repeatedly trying to hit someone by short hopping and aerial I use the R button, but for attacks coming from the air and not from the ground I usually use A.

Top Bottom