• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ASC or L-Cancel?

Jacuzzi

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jaccuzi
3DS FC
0748-3832-8660
Which is faster for short-hopped aerials, ASC or L-Canceling? I know it's generally better to ASC everything, but what about SH aerials? Which has more lag to it?

Icychiller

Smash Rookie
I'm not 100% sure but I would say ASC is better. Or at least some other special. Short hop fair into down-b is usually alright because of the way it's hitbox sends the person.

UCDGhost

Smash Rookie
It all matters if you get a confirmed hit. If you do get the hit, its an ASC because you eliminate all landing lag you would have from an L-cancel. Due to the fact that you canceled out the ASC, you only have to deal with the 4-frame landing animation, which is the fastest of all of Lucario's landing options.

Without a hit, however, you cannot do an ASC, so you should try to L-cancel to quicken the landing time.

Also, like Icychiller said, Down-b is also a nice option, so use it when it seems right.

CND

Smash Cadet
It all matters if you get a confirmed hit. If you do get the hit, its an ASC because you eliminate all landing lag you would have from an L-cancel. Due to the fact that you canceled out the ASC, you only have to deal with the 4-frame landing animation, which is the fastest of all of Lucario's landing options.

Without a hit, however, you cannot do an ASC, so you should try to L-cancel to quicken the landing time.

Also, like Icychiller said, Down-b is also a nice option, so use it when it seems right.
So, this is mostly accurate. There is a thing which is referred to as Perfect Aura Sphere Landing that is the fastest landing option. If the ASC occurs less than 9-frames (~?) before landing, there will have no landing lag compared to the 4-frame landing lag from landing after an ASC that occurs before those frames. You can read more about it here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SSBPM/comments/31k7i4/new_lucario_tech_perfect_aura_sphere_landing/

Also, I don't know frame data well of exactly, but in attempt for reference nair and fair have 7 frames of landing lag according to frame data thread and since L-cancelling halves the landing lag, I think an L-cancel on these moves is 4 frames (or 3?). Bair is 9 frames of landing lag without L-cancel and dair and upair are both 11.

UCDGhost

Smash Rookie
So, this is mostly accurate. There is a thing which is referred to as Perfect Aura Sphere Landing that is the fastest landing option. If the ASC occurs less than 9-frames (~?) before landing, there will have no landing lag compared to the 4-frame landing lag from landing after an ASC that occurs before those frames. You can read more about it here:
Oh yeah, I forgot about this. But yes, this is true, and only gives even more credibility to the idea that ASC landing is best.

The fact that we get a zero landing lag approach is amazing lol.

Fudgepop01

Smash Rookie
It depends when you get the hit. If you're going to land while Lucairo is pulling the aura sphere out, it's far-better to ASC. If you can cancel before touching the ground, go for it. However, if you land as Lucario is putting away the aura sphere (about an 8 frame window IIRC), you'll land with NO LANDING LAG AT ALL.

this allows you to get a followup really quickly out of things and move in a buttery-smooth manner, however you'll need to be extremely aware of the game. o3o

Phaiyte

Smash Ace
I just option select everything. What that means is just go through the motions whether you know you'll hit or not. When you're going for the sh aerial, press nB anyways, and also press shield anyways. If you hit, you'll asc, if you miss, you'll L cancel. Every time. However, if you know for a fact that you're about to hit a shield, I recommend sideB, and if you know you'll get the hit then downB is best imo for followups.

Option selects. Just like real fighting games.

Top Bottom