• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

As Lucario how do you practice? How technical are you?

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
This question has been on my mind as of recent.

How do you guys practice?

Do you practice combos, against friends, WiFi, tourney, what do you guys do?

How technical is your style of play? Do you practice techs or "learn as you go"? Do you study frame data?

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Only B-reverses so that I don't do accidental FPs, because those can screw you over even at top plays (look at Junebug v. Anti on Frigate or Trela whenever he messes up and you'll see what I mean).

Oh yeah and SH aerials oos.

that's it tbh.

I wish I could practice. I kind of wish I could even play at tournaments some times (I played I think at most 2 hours at Pound 5 (I secretly love it))

Used to practice on wi-fi. Taught me reads so well. Training alone offline seems to only make me worse

Not a technical Lucario. Don't even know how to ledge cancel or b-reversal. Never even tried to learn it. Everything I know is "learn as I go". Studying frame data does help, same for knowing where your hitboxes are. Helps for spacing

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
B-reverse B-reverse and more B-reverse.

I wanna play wifi but I have no one to wifi agaisnt regularly :( and I hate ladder.

do the trela drop [ jump Aurasphere charge-> shield -> drop -> stuff] when I get bored.

sometimes I get my cpu to do stuff I practice options that could cover that.

theres always time to practice buffering from move to move.

I used to consider myself technical, but I'm breaking in a new controller so I find myself simplifying :<

nothing beats crew practice though, for actually getting better

IceDX

Smash Ace
NNID
TheIceDX001
I use to practice pivots alot, now i practice buffering whenever i have the time but mostly i just play agaist people to get better..

:phone:

ravemaster47

Smash Ace
NNID
ravemaster47
i play my friends MK and spam AS. keeps him at bay then i fsmash him for the KO. but seriously, i just abuse lucarios riduculous ability to get stronger as he gets hurt, andplay defensivly rather than offenssivly. i practice against my friend on a regular basis and learn matchups i didn't know before

Steam

Smash Hero
I play a lot of wifi to practice reads.

the problem is I play so much wifi (compared to offline), that when I play offline I don't react to anything and still try to go off pure reads... I mean I still kinda do but my relexes are trash D:

and Flamey I can play wifi with you : 3

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Oh yeah, I do practice GT/JCT trixies. Getting in a banana = free AS, you have to be better at being unpredictable w/ a banana against diddy though because most Diddies are better than you with items and have more guaranteed options (although not as punishing, <3 AS).

I also practice different jab mixups to see which ones work better for a MU, things like AA -> grab don't work as well on snake at low percent as it does on people like MK or Wario.

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
I play a lot of wifi to practice reads.

the problem is I play so much wifi (compared to offline), that when I play offline I don't react to anything and still try to go off pure reads... I mean I still kinda do but my relexes are trash D:

and Flamey I can play wifi with you : 3
this would kinda amount to just lucario dittos though

LOL

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
Flame I want to practice MK now. So I will play you.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
When I practice I get plinked with a lot of arrows.
Playing against a Pit all the time really wears a person down.

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
Practicing?

If I didn't kill it near perfectly there is still something to practice... I have improved lots on people that don't even play this game. Ask fromundaman if he ever gets his net back.

Still not good though :<

G-Beast

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4442-0111-1914
When I played I practiced a lot vs. CPU's for spacing, some combos(cpu's let you get away with a lot of combos that you shouldn't..), and other technical things... Mainly B-Reversal and DI

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Lucario has tec skill? ._.
Errr. Well I already have his B-reverses and recovery wall jump sillyness down so I don't practice much of that.

What I like to do is go in training mode and practice his block strings, and combo's. Like, stuff that would never work in a real match. Like on fox you can cancel your second jab and restart the jab combo four times, into another canceled second jab into running grab u-throw, into U-tilt into N-air. I play against a fox player and actually got this crap to work. xD It's pretty silly.

Anywho yea. giving lucario some thought lately because he's one of the few characters that has blockstrings and combos.

Pitbuller26

Smash Lord
I usually play with the crew and since it's usually a MK and a Diddy, I learned how to pick and choose my options. Stringing is super important against them in my mind since getting opportunities on those characters are rare. It also helps that I have good reaction time too.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I don't really practice Lucario as you probably know (I find him too fun for tournaments, I get carried away with ridiculous strings of moves), but I practice with him by playing FFAs with items on high, green shells only. Seriously, green shells only is one of the best ways to practice item control. Maybe throw on Bananas too if you want.

Pitbuller26

Smash Lord
Started to improve on my DI against multi hits, and never realized how it easy it is to avoid certain moves.

Will discuss this in the metagame this sunday.
My epiphany was that just playing as basic as possible with Lucario is the best way to play him. Especially when you're behind and got that aura boost. Jab, jab, jab has became my most used damage racking tool instead of jab, jab, grab.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Yeah, at first I thought it sucked that at low percents Lucario can only AAA snake (since he's heavy enough to stay on the ground and spotdodge your grab), then I realized the point of it all was not to inflict more damage to him, but to get him off the ground, and the regular jabs do just fine at that :)

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
I do most of my training with Lucario in For Glory. Playing against others helps improve my more defensive-oriented style. I'm not one for using frame data, though. I just try to make my judgments on the fly.

Top Bottom