• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

As a Smasher.

turbinator

Smash Cadet
Brawl or any super smash game doesn't take nearly as much time and dedication as a sport does...

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
The funny thing about this post is that I don't know if the author realizes how self-indulgent he's made this sound.

I know you've moved on, but to answer this question; No, it isn't bad that you've became a better person because of a game. Your life's experiences are constantly altering the way you look at the world, whether it be winning the Nobel prize or simply talking to fellow Smashers on a forum. As an individual, your views/attitudes are constantly changing and being changed by the interactions you've had with the rest of the world, no matter how big or how small.

I guess what I'm trying to say is; just because it's a game doesn't mean it can't make a positive/negative change in your life. What's really important is how you react to that change.

Exactly what part 2 is about.

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
LP4Life666, You have the right answer, this is what should be seen.
Potentially, anything in the world can make you change, a bird flying over your house, or possibly a train ride.
But for whatever the cause, how did you change, and will you take the time to understand?
Our minds must be open and constantly aware, that the truth is, to purely change is very hard, so when the time comes that we do, we can understand that what caused the change is important as long as how we take the actual changing.

I take my hat off to you.

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
The funny thing about this post is that I don't know if the author realizes how self-indulgent he's made this sound.
Though, yes, I hope that this thread would be a serious one, the reason I made my posts so easygoing is that it gives a personal view to the readers. It is in no way suppose to be a formal thread.

Adding on a personal level makes people think clearly about my life and therefore they think about their life. Which of course, this thread, is for them.

turbinator

Smash Cadet
Explain, that's what this thread is for, actual intellegent conversation.
A lot more competition for one. A lot more people play sport competively than smash, therefore its harder to be more successful. If you practice brawl a lot for a year you should be good enough for tourney play. Sometimes with sport even if you play heaps throughout your whole childhood and teenage years you are still unlikely to get to the top unless you are really talented. You need to be extremely fit and athletic in sport which takes a hell of a lot of dedication. If your not fit you get injured and in some cases where some sportman get injured a lot you need to have the mental strength to bounce back from injury.

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
A lot more competition for one. A lot more people play sport competively than smash, therefore its harder to be more successful. If you practice brawl a lot for a year you should be good enough for tourney play. Sometimes with sport even if you play heaps throughout your whole childhood and teenage years you are still unlikely to get to the top unless you are really talented. You need to be extremely fit and athletic in sport which takes a hell of a lot of dedication. If your not fit you get injured and in some cases where some sportman get injured a lot you need to have the mental strength to bounce back from injury.
I see your point, a valid one too.
Thank you for posting, this is a good reasponse.

AnAardvark

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I myself, have been with Smash since the beginning. (Although SSB64 wasn't really a true game to me. Was too young to understand the concept and skill it took to play.) I play other video games too. And also do many outdoor activites. I like to swim, ride my bicycle, go out for walks, hang out with friends, and much more. Yet, whenever something pops up and I mention the SLIGHTEST bit about my gaming thing, I get called a nerd. :mad:

But hey, I'm getting off subject and bringing this topic to myself. To answer your question, I think that if a video game changes your life, it's cool. That would be the equal of a sport changing your life or something, in my opinion. It's not pathetic unless you think it is. And it's definitely not a bad thing. Just be proud of who you are, because I have a similar problem with you. But hey, doesn't bother me when someone calls me a nerd or a geek because I play a cool video game that THOUSANDS of people all around the world also play.

That's about all I have to say on the subject. Don't let other people bring you down because you do something that they probably can't do, and think it'll make them better if they flame you about it. Just ignore those kind of people and keep doing what you do best. :)

supermario27mx

Smash Ace
Now for the first question.
Question #1: Is it bad that I became a better person because of a game?
Is it pathetic?
anything in life can change you for better or worse so its not pathetic in my opinion. i can definitely say that i have met some interesting people and have been reunited with some people that i havent seen in years.

I left off with a question, this was mainly to add discussion towards the thread. I like the results so far, keep it up.

Question #2:What makes Smash less of a skill then anything else? And what can we potentially learn from it?
smash is a skill
putting in time and such only makes you better. smash involves mental agility precision and wit as do many games and positions on a team. look at top smash players their style is highly versatile and requires mastering a character which does take up time. i just got back from a tournament today the winner came through the losers bracket to beat the other guy coming back from 0 and 2 in the final set beacuse the other guy lost his cool and started making stupid mistakes. i play soccer and i can tell you that midfielders and strikers do need a lot of skill as well as quick wit and a lot of precicion and of course you need to know what you are doing which is crucial in case thing get ugly, just like in smash. smash is as much skill as spining a book on your middle finger or putting a 35 yard pass to goal (sorry if i didnt awnser your question, but i do hope this helps stir up some thought)
smash can either be seen as a skill or as many skills (depends on how you see it)

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
I personally dont get called a nerd when i play smash.
People are just like "oh Eric and his smash"
and I'm just like "yup =)"

But to the topic:
I don't think it has,but it wouldn't be pathetic.

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
Well, Part three is comming, but I've haven't gotten' the time to make it yet.

freetyme

Smash Cadet
No it's actually not that weird.

Games can actually bring people together. Gamers often have a huge since of nostalgia and strong emotional connections when they think about old games they played. For me I remember fondly playing Super Mario World with my dad.

The thing we have to remember is this: it's not totally the game. The playing games with my dad was just as big a part as the Super Mario World if not bigger.

The reason games do this to us is because you can see how much heart went into the game, the people who make it, the people who play it. The way people get into it. Meeting friends, friendly competition, completing objectives. It's all the people behind it.

So no. A game making you "a better person" is not any more odd than a book changing you or a movie honestly touching you.

Just don't believe it's all 1s and 0s on a disk though, it's likely it's just as much the people you've met and played with as it is the game.

Foxtrotter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
msfoxtrott
Wow... Mazaloth, you are very brave. And very smart.
*salute*

Is it pathetic?

Heck no. Gaming is a hobby, just like soccer, martial arts, cheer leading, or whatever floats your boat. All hobbies make you a better person in one way or another: soccer, you learn team work. Martial arts, you learn discipline. Cheer, you learn even more team work. I can even apply this to other games:

Halo 1, 2, 3: Communication is key.
Portal: There is a hole in the sky through which things can fly.Think outside of the box.
And many more…

No, it is not pathetic. Like all other hobbies, you can become a better person in one way or another.

Question #2:What makes Smash less of a skill then anything else? And what can we potentially learn from it?

You get better at a skill, and, since you get better at Smash, Smash is a skill. Eating is a skill (have you seen competitive eaters?), reading is a skill, writing is a skill, fencing is a skill, running is a skill... Anything can be a "skill".

We can learn from Smash teamwork, sportsmanship, humor, hand-eye coordination (big one), and we could even learn how to communicate well, fine manipulation, following directions...

Somebody stop me before I sound like a teacher.

Iron Thorn

Smash Lord
Going to Gamelon. I'm taking the Triforce of Spag
Smash for me has been mostly a substrate for bonding with people. My friends and I just finished a few hours of brawling and trust me, that bunny hood-curry-low gravity brawl would NOT have been as much fun without them. Ridiculous deaths and trash talk just don't happen against the CPUs.

Smash is about fun, creativity, humor, good-natured competition, and friendship. As said, it's a party game. And nothing spells a party like food, friends, and Brawl.

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
O.k. very good responses, I appreciate you making this thread what it is now.
Unfortunaly, I am just to tired to make the 3rd part today.
Work is tiresome and I want to sleep.(Which is very very odd for me.)

Overload

Smash Lord
video games are the answer to everything
and the good ol' falcone pawnch

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
As A Smasher: Part 3

As a Smasher
Part 3

God, been a long time since I've done anything on this thread.
But, I think it is time to bring it back. Great results last time hopefully it will continue...

Right, so months gone by since Brawl came out, the new boards were bustling and full of new thoughts and techniques. Every day the metagame continued to grow, and even still. Metaknight, Dedede, Snake, Captain falcon. All of them made impressions. And the community still grows and continues to strive towards their maximum metagame. And here we are being changed, adapting, just like the characters.

But, of course there has to be a point where we have to say, 'What's the point?'. Most of us players wont ever be as good as we want to be. Never going to make it to the top, nor get reconized. And yet we continue to play! Why? Is it because it's fun? or because we never give up?

The more we play, the more we dwelve in being a Smasher.
And even if we don't make top, I think that is the reason we play. To be a Smasher.
Winning in tornements, playing with friends, it really doesn't matter once you get down to it, we play becuase we love the god ****ed game!

This is brillent, because it says something about us, the way we play, the characters we choose. It is a reflection upon ourselves. Devotion, happiness, intellect; these are all reasons why we will continue to play. And wether or not Metaknight is cheap or if Captain Falcon will never amounting to anything*... It doesn't matter we will play, and be a Smasher.

Next question:

How does the character you play affect you as a person? How does the character that you choose reflect on who you are? Why do you play him/her/it?

*Sorry for the low blow to all the CF players...

Kraryo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SrirachaJoe
3DS FC
4124-5128-1575
I use Wario, because I like his games. I play as Lucas, because his B-sticking abillities make him an interesting character to play as. I like Sonic because of his playstyle.

SZ2K

Smash Rookie
Smash gave me teh catlyke reflexes!

It also taught me how to please women.

Thanks smash!

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
One would be silly if they thought for a moment that the character they played in a game caused any change in their personality. If anything the character a player chooses says more about the person due to the fact that people tend to choose characters for their playstyle or out of a likeness for said character.

This thread is a bit overly dramatic and campy. Mazaloth, you are coming off as reallllly cheesy. I'm not saying that to insult you, it's just that if you grounded yourself a bit more in reality this could be a more thought provoking thread.

Biinii

Smash Apprentice
I choose characters ranked low by the community. First, it takes a lot more to develop yourself and it is rewardful. The second thing is that I can laugh in the face of my friends when I win wich low ranked characters. Also, the way I think is: You won with a good character(character's merit), you lost with a good character(your dismerit). That's why games that reveal the true skill of players should be even, and yet, I hate dittos.

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
One would be silly if they thought for a moment that the character they played in a game caused any change in their personality. If anything the character a player chooses says more about the person due to the fact that people tend to choose characters for their playstyle or out of a likeness for said character.

This thread is a bit overly dramatic and campy. Mazaloth, you are coming off as reallllly cheesy. I'm not saying that to insult you, it's just that if you grounded yourself a bit more in reality this could be a more thought provoking thread.
1. I meant it both ways. Every character has a specific playstyle, of course this can be bent to the will of the player but, because of the style that the character induces could possibly make a person more patient or hasty. But I do see where you get your logic from. And a good point too.
2. Not intended to be dramatic, in-fact quite the opposite. It is suppose to sound down to earth and friendly, sorry if it didn't. I keep spelling/grammar mistakes in the post just for that reason.

Edit: I just edited the question to fit Mookie's perception. Hope this helps.

DKKountry

Smash Ace
Corneria... Fourth Planet of the Lylat System
27 styles of martial arts, swimming, sailing, climbing Mt. Everest, Skiing the Alps, Saving Kittens, btw I'm awesome....
That really isn't the point though, it was ment to show that devotion to one skill isn't better then another.
Making a thread about how vidja games are not "nerdy" and that gamers are just as cool as other people is very much like "preaching to the choir" lulz. I'm not flaming, I'm just saying you're not going to get any arguments against that point here :p

You have to be comfortable with who you are. My friends/wife know that gaming is simply one of my passions, but they don't point and laugh at me for it. Anyone that does that is rather juvenile and isn't the kind of person you should be looking to for approval. That'd be like laughing at my wife for crocheting and saying, "bwuahaha you're crocheting! That's stereotypical of an old lady! You're an old lady Kekekeke!!!11!1"

When your Wii light comes on, you're a gamer, and the people who you associate with will just have to deal with it. knowhutImean?

Dark Deku

Smash Apprentice
Remember SSB64?
How about Melee?
And of course don't forget about Brawl.

This game series Super Smash Bros. Is unique, it is different, like Guilty Gear, and possibly Soul Cal..
I have been a avid Smasher since SSB64 and I like what has been going around. I'm going to make this clear, I like Melee the best out of the Trio, but still, Smash is Smash.
I also do martial arts, 21 in-fact.

The thing is when I go to practice my Tae Kwon Do, and I go into compititons, People look at me and say,"Wow! That's cool", or "He must be really skilled".
And I can say yes! This is because I have a passion for Tae-Kwon-Do, or Savate, and heck even Judo.
I take pride in being able to do the atheletic things That I can preform.

And yet, when I go and pick up the gamecube controller, and turn Brawl on.
What happens?
<Nerd>
That's what happens, and guess what?
That is bull.

I am writing various of these in different fourms whether it be Smashboards, or Uncommonfourm, or even B3ta.

I'm spreading my thoughts, because it is true.

When I play smash, or do martial arts, climb trees, swim, and even sailing, I take pride in what I do and no matter if it is different from other skills do I count one thing more than another, because it is all who I am.

So now hopefully you all read the beginning I will start on my rant.

As a Smasher

I take pride in being a great smasher, and I cannot say that I have not changed by this game.
The game was very interesting because unlike most games, Smash was very technical and the definition of newb and pro could be vastly listed, a newb could never beat a veteran smasher because of all of the techniques that must be induced to the game play that makes a good smasher. DI, Shffl'ing, Wavedashing. was all techniques that made the game unique, fast paced and very complicated, to the point that a lot of people could not play Smash.

But for those who could untap the true potential of these techniques, they would strive to the top.

This changed me, it made me think deeper into life, making me want to find the hidden 'techniques' in life itself, I became much more tolerant, I found myself indulged in information such as books and articals that had intresting point and theories.
Smash had made me want to go and dwelve deeper into life.

Now for the first question.

Is it pathetic?

Post your response.

More to come.

Yeah Smash has changed my life.

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
Making a thread about how vidja games are not "nerdy" and that gamers are just as cool as other people is very much like "preaching to the choir" lulz. I'm not flaming, I'm just saying you're not going to get any arguments against that point here :p

You have to be comfortable with who you are. My friends/wife know that gaming is simply one of my passions, but they don't point and laugh at me for it. Anyone that does that is rather juvenile and isn't the kind of person one should be looking to for approval. That'd be like laughing at my wife for crocheting and saying, "bwuahaha you're crocheting! That's stereotypical of an old lady! You're an old lady Kekekeke!!!11!1"

When your Wii light comes on, you're a gamer, and the people who you associate with will just have to deal with it. knowhutImean?
Exactly, this is what I am trying to point out (with some insight).
I didn't say that we aren't nerds... We probably are, but it isn't something that should be looked down upon. I don't mean to preach but the matter-of-the-fact is that the gaming community gets bashed on constantly, and for all illogical reasons. Most people just don't consider facts or stray away from stereotypes.
I would be more then happy for someone to flame me, or try to disprove my posts. Because if I can effectivly defend my statements then I must be saying something logical. Also as a last note, I don't want biased opinions.

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
Hey bro, for future reference, if you're making a one-line reply to something, it's not necessary to quote the source if it's like three or four paragraphs long. It's not a rule, it's just etiquette, like not double-posting.

peace :)
Totally sensible.
Though one would say that a person shouldn't post on a thread if the post isn't relative to the thread.

Insetick

Smash Apprentice
In my school, at least, Smash is well-known enough to not draw much criticizm. Nearly everyone has played at least once. Those who do call me a nerd for playing it (and those are just Wii haters) I ignore.
Brawl isn't a physical sport, but it's a great game, and it makes no sense to insult someone for playing a great game.

SothE700k

Smash Lord
Well playing a game and being determined to get better can help shape you a little more in real life. If you're determined to get that AT down or that character down, then it can help translate into, "If I can master this character, I can do [this in real life]!"

Different game I played, but it showed me that I have to work really hard to get what I want without begging for free stuff XD

Hope that helped.

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
In my school, at least, Smash is well-known enough to not draw much criticizm. Nearly everyone has played at least once. Those who do call me a nerd for playing it (and those are just Wii haters) I ignore.
Brawl isn't a physical sport, but it's a great game, and it makes no sense to insult someone for playing a great game.
Very tolerant of you. I guess it does have to do with the publicity of the game.

Well playing a game and being determined to get better can help shape you a little more in real life. If you're determined to get that AT down or that character down, then it can help translate into, "If I can master this character, I can do [this in real life]!"

Different game I played, but it showed me that I have to work really hard to get what I want without begging for free stuff XD

Hope that helped.
Insightful, and very nice to hear, thanks for posting.

-_-

10-_-
Just, please stop posting if you aren't going to criticize or make a reply that is related to the thread.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
On the side note, does anyone care to refute this thread? I kinda want criticism. It is kinda boring without someone trying to refute it.
Just wanted to to let people know its fine.

Top Bottom