• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

As a lower-intermediate player, I have some observations about 3.6 and the state of Bowser

Crett

Smash Rookie
BOWSER MY BABY HE'S DEAD THEY KILLED MY BABY
SIZE REDUCTIon!?
HE'S BOWSER THE BIG GUY

And that wasn't even the biggest nerf, my brain-dead super armor tanking is completely gutted now, so I can't even cheese with dash attack or side bWHAT did they do to forward smash--

Ok ok, I'm done overreacting
I feel like a lot of the more toxic elements of his gameplay were cut out without anything to fill the void. Now if I want to play a hard punish character, I'll just have to play Ganon, because now Bowser's biggest niche is his edgeguarding, which is hardly why I play him (and considering how much I'm getting spanked on stage now, I don't get nearly as many opportunities to exploit that strength anyhow).

In my opinion, they should be looking at playing up his strengths AND his weaknesses, instead of taking away his strength and leaving something that is utterly depressing to look at. I know he was oppressive before but that brought a tear to my eye. The big old king of evil being downright bullied by captain falcon and ZERO SUIT SAmus. BULLIED.

A size reduction is technically a buff/nerf, less reach, but smaller hitbox. I feel like it's a step in the wrong direction; part of a character is the gameplay fantasy. If I wanted a smaller TURTLE I'd play Squirtle, dagnabbit
It can be good for his gameplay, but if we're looking to minimize some of the toxic gameplay, we need to look at extremes, because that's always been Bowser's thing. He's slow (but like most heavyweights, he can be deceptively quick at times), he's extremely heavy, he hits extremely hard, and he's one of the largest playable characters. A lot of the drawbacks of these aspects can be minimized in high level play (what with the wavedashing and all the cancelling of the end lags and whatnot), making his archetype of extremes hard to pin down between being unviable and overpowered.

I'm a little bit out of my depth when it comes to high level smash play, but looking at the changes, he's being normalized, without giving him any outstanding strength, while retaining all of his weaknesses.

Filosafer

Smash Apprentice
God I wish people would stop saying "toxic".

As a dev, when people who play the character call aspects "toxic", it raises huge flags about the tech in question. When you call something toxic, you're not saying that it should be changed, you're saying that it should be REMOVED. I can totally understand why so much of Bowser's niche was destroyed, when people call his armour toxic. You don't change or balance the poison, you remove it. I don't like the changes, I wish they were back to 3.5 (maybe have his stats a little flattened) but calling it toxic and then saying you wish it was wrong to remove it is the WRONG way to do it.

Crett

Smash Rookie
God I wish people would stop saying "toxic".

As a dev, when people who play the character call aspects "toxic", it raises huge flags about the tech in question. When you call something toxic, you're not saying that it should be changed, you're saying that it should be REMOVED. I can totally understand why so much of Bowser's niche was destroyed, when people call his armour toxic. You don't change or balance the poison, you remove it. I don't like the changes, I wish they were back to 3.5 (maybe have his stats a little flattened) but calling it toxic and then saying you wish it was wrong to remove it is the WRONG way to do it.
I AM saying it should have been removed. My issue is that he relied on it, and now his character probably needs a step in a new direction.

Top Bottom