• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Artificially extending range of grounded moves with slides.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
I made a thread about long slides elsewhere, but I'm gonna post here about the notable moves Jr. can do with them and a simple "how to do it" since Jr. is my main and I think it's especially beneficial for them despite the not-so-huge distance Jr slides at.

The short and sweet of it is that you can artificially extend the range of:
  • Standing/Walking grab.
  • F-tilt
  • D-tilt
  • D-smash
  • Basically any movement (even non-attacks like spot-dodges) that doesn't cancel momentum. But those 4 are the most notable attacks IMO.
There are actually multiple ways to do it, but it boils down to cancelling the start of a walk from some form of grounded forward momentum with an action that doesn't cancel momentum... Which sounds a lot more complicated than it is. (I'm unsure of a specific timing, but I theorise the closer you are to the exact frame after the walk starts, the better it is. Honestly, I'm really bad at labbing and the timing changes specifically between start-ups and character. This might be good for someone else to look into.)

The jist of it is:
  1. Forward Momentum -- Walk > Crouch is an easy way to get a slide, which works as sufficient forward momentum. Seems to work better if you hold the crouch a little.
  2. Walk -- I don't think this should last longer than a frame, but it should start up.
  3. Interrupt -- easiest being F-tilt or Grab.
The interrupting action will be performed while sliding a longer distance than just walking.

You can also perform it from a forward moving (forward facing too, or you'll go into a turnaround animation, not a walk) N-air's endlag (since that offers forward momentum in the form of a slide too - as long as the landing is moving forward, it's fine - the faster you're moving, the better), but I think you generally get a shorter slide, and the timing is harder since you're acting from endlag and not a player controlled input.

There are more start-ups (U-air can work too.), but these are the two most common/useful in my experience. A walking/running grab and the lag from stopping a run can both be used as an initial slide, but they're both obviously impractical, and/or get weaker results.

An applied example: A quick true combo that, as far as I know, can be performed easier and/or at later %s with this tech is: Early Hit Falling N-air (6%) > F-tilt (8%). -which should keep working on Jigglypuff until about 27% in practice mode if performed (Generally timed and angled.) correctly. It's tough, but works.

There are probably more technical examples, but this is the plainest to see. Artificially extending range can be a big deal, especially with multi-hit moves like D-tilt that get a couple of chances to whiff as you close in before being a complete failure.

As for grab, I'm unsure about range since it varies from how optimised the tech is performed, but it's no secret that it'll have less lag than a dash-grab at least, while still offering some range. (I've - at best - got it to notably compete with dash-grab distance. I measured distance with the tiles from the Omega Mushroomy Kingdom stage since I'm on 3DS*. I also measured from point of grab input rather than start distance, since the grab's distance is what we're interested in, not the whole tech's distance.)

Again, I have no idea how much I've optimised this for Jr., and it still comes in handy now and then, so I'd suggest if you're interested to look into the tech and its applications yourself (Since I'm super bad at labbing and you might do more for the tech than me. lol).

Feel free to post your own applications of this too and I may compile them in this post for sake of making it easier to see all the uses.

I'm sorry for the wall of text, but thanks for your interest if you read this! I hope someone playing Smash gets something from this knowledge.

(*This is also the reason I have no video examples. Any videos of the tech would be appreciated!)

Last edited:

Mr Puddles

Smash Rookie
NNID
Empulsion777
That is really cool. I haven't noticed that at all. Thank you for the find. I'll definitely incorporate that.

Top Bottom