• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Arthur Morgan Follows the Plan! Rockstar’s Wild West Cowboy for Smash!

Silo777

Smash Journeyman
Arthur Morgan For Smash!

A09E07F5-DC5F-4723-9B08-1F12617CA018.png

“Lenny? LENNNNY! Found ya, Lenny!”

Who is he?

Arthur Morgan is the protagonist of Rockstar Games’ recent game Red Dead Redemption 2. RDR2 takes place years before the original, so it’s actually the origin story. In the game Arthur serves as the right hand man to the leader of the Van Der Linde gang, Dutch Van Der Linde. The game is all about trying to keep the gang safe and sound while on the run and being an outlaw in the wild west. It’s extremely expansive, probably one of the biggest and vast games you’ll ever play. The immersion is like no other and it truly feels groundbreaking.

Why Arthur?

Rockstar Games hasn’t had a fighter rep in Smash yet despite being a huge gaming company, constantly putting out quality title after quality title. They’re a big part of gaming’s history; open world games wouldn’t quite be the same without them. To add to that, Rockstar Games has a stable relationship with Nintendo. They’ve had multiple games on Nintendo consoles, such as LA Noire on Switch recently.

As for Arthur himself, Red Dead Redemption is one of Rockstar’s most successful and critically acclaimed franchises. Red Dead Redemption 2 earned countless awards and is Rockstar’s most recent game. It released at the perfect time to be considered for this second DLC pass. Arthur having a place in Smash may even lead to RDR2 on the Switch, considering Rockstar seems keener on porting their games as of late.

What can he do?

Arthur has a whole arsenal of weapons at his disposal in order to dispatch his foes. The following is a list of some of them:

• Revolvers (Dual Wield)
  • Rifles
  • Shotguns
  • Dynamite, Molotovs, Throwing Knives
  • Combat Knife
  • Lasso

To add to that, Arthur is also adept at hand to hand combat, more than capable of using his own fists and feet. Not to mention that he also had an ability called Dead Eye, making it so that he’s able to land his shots not only quickly but accurately as well. Here is an example of what Arthur’s move set might look like:

Potential Moveset:

Tilts

Jab: Two punches and a kick (11%)

Dash Attack: Arther runs forward and shoulder checks, like he does when he opens doors while running. (12%)

Side Tilt: A quick slash with his combat knife (9%)

Down Tilt: A simple leg sweep (10%)

Up Tilt: (Warning Shot) Arthur points his revolver in the air and shoots directly upward without looking. This is the move Arthur uses to intimidate people in RDR2. The shot goes fairly high upward, but doesn’t do a whole lot of damage. (6%)

Aerials
Neutral Air: Arthur fires a revolver forward, similar to Villager’s neutral air. Fast but no knock back. (4%)

Forward Air: Arthur swings a rifle forward and downwards, striking with the long barrel. (7%)

Back Air: Arthur slashes backwards with his combat knife. (6%)

Down Air: Arthur kicks downward with both feet. Slow but has a strong meteor smash property. (10%)

Up Air: Arthur stabs upwards twice with revolvers, shooting on the second stab. (8%)

Smash Attacks
Side Smash: Arthur fires a double barrelled shotgun in front of him. Has a lot of spread and power, but not a lot of range. Kills easily. (15%)

Down Smash: Arthur dual wields sawed off shotguns (like the one on the box art), shooting one in front of him and one behind him. (12%)

Up Smash: Arthur twirls his lasso above his head, very similarly to Byleth’s up air. (13%)

Specials
Neutral Special: (Draw) If the button is pressed consecutively, Arthur will shoot continuous shots forward with dual revolvers (1.5% each shot). If the button is held down, Arthur will slowly reach for his revolver in his holster. If you release the button quickly after Arthur touches his revolver (indicated by a sparkle) he will draw it and hammer the trigger, firing a bunch of shots forward at once. (19%)

F2E673F0-3876-4D57-B8C8-A58D01842172.jpeg

Up Special: (Lasso) If on the ground, Arthur twirls his lasso and throws it forward. If it comes into contact with another player, they will be caught in the lasso and dragged back to Arthur, where he will hogtie them. This state is similar to being stuck in the ground, they are helpless and have to mash to get out of it. While they are stuck, Arthur can proceed any way he likes. If Arthur misses, he has to reel the lasso back in anyway, so this move has quite a bit of end lag. If this move is used off stage, it will act as a tether.

497DC04C-E2BC-4E88-9AD7-A46E9B04F9DD.jpeg

Down Special: (Throwing Weapon) Arthur will throw a random throwing weapon forward. The throwing knives are fast but weak (5%), the molotovs act similarly to Simon and Richter’s holy water (8%), and the dynamite takes a second to ignite and explode but is powerful (14%).

5800FC06-CB88-4778-811E-14858DED0CAD.jpeg

Side Special: (Horse) A horse will appear and Arthur will mount it (very similar to Wario’s motorcycle) and he will ride it forwards, damaging whoever he runs into. It’s more powerful than Wario’s motorcycle, but slower. If the horse is attacked too much by other players, it will buck Arthur off and disappear.

EE5C6CA6-9D88-4C5D-B983-086C7D8FB3BB.jpeg

Final Smash
Van Der Linde Gang: Arthur shoots a straight shot ahead of him. If it hits someone, a cutscene plays. They are placed in the middle of the gang’s camp. Members of the gang gather around with Arthur (Dutch, John, Bill, Sadie, Lenny, etc.) and open fire on them on Dutch’s command. (40%)

1978F63E-819E-4674-BD00-D391A5DF0C62.jpeg

Taunts
Side Taunt: Arthur applies gun oil to his rifle.

Up Taunt: Arthur’s hat falls off, and he bends down to pick it up again.

Down Taunt: Arthur points a sawed off shotgun at the screen, mimicking the pose on the box art of the original Red Dead Redemption.

Gimmick
Dead Eye: Above Arthur’s percentage meter is his Dead Eye core. When it’s filled, all of Arthur’s attacks where he shoots a gun will be faster and have a slight homing effect. It will deplete as the attacks are used and will have to refill again.

Potential Alts
Alt 1: Default Arthur from RDR2.

Alt 2: Alt 1 Recolour

Alt 3: Arthur (Winter Attire)

Alt 4: Alt 3 Recolour

Alt 5: John Marston (RDR2 Attire)

405B2642-BACD-4D83-92BC-E47E0577494F.jpeg

Alt 6: Alt 5 Recolour

Alt 7: John Marston (RDR1 Attire)

F0C6A2AF-85A4-4D9D-B4F6-BA2E31EDDF3B.jpeg

Alt 8: Alt 7 Recolour

Series Symbol

8B25973E-9C19-469F-8B98-DED6BD829BA7.png

Stage

Valentine

56046771-2D57-413D-ABFC-745999A38344.jpeg

7205455A-DD51-49E9-91FF-55304BDB69E5.jpeg

Valentine is a small, muddy town that plays a big role in the beginning of RDR2. The stage will have the fighters walk along the muddy road with the numerous saloons and shops in the background. It will sometimes get rainy, which will make the fighters slip in the mud. You can occasionally see members of the gang in the background watching the fight.

Music

• American Venom
  • Train Heist Theme
  • Stand Unshaken
  • That’s the Way it Is
  • The Disaster

6AB1AE6D-3A32-4CDE-B4F6-EF0F0B145FAA.png

That’s all, folks!

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Really cool ideas. I support. Although it’d probably be gta if rockstar were to somehow get a rep, Arthur would probably fit in better.

Silo777

Smash Journeyman
Been thinking of a reveal trailer.

Dutch: Have some goddamn faith, Arthur. I have a plan, we need to get enough muneh and then we’ll all go to tahiti!

Arthur: I’ve heard it all before, Dutch. What’s the plan this time? Another train?

Dutch: Join Smash.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I'm down for this, the RDR games are masterpieces and Arthur is the best protag.

Matadormon

Smash Apprentice
I played RDR2, and I haven’t finished it yet, and I am starting to like Arthur Morgan so much, that it would be cool to see him in Smash.

Matadormon

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, if Arthur Morgan made it in Smash, I’m pretty sure Rathalos is going to be his Classic Mode boss. A reference of Arthur hunting animals.

D

Deleted member

Please add me to the support list I saw a walk through of Red Dead Redemption 2 and I adore the game I’d love to see the badass cowboy Arthur Morgan added!

latsmash

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5085-9089-2026
Arthur is definitely a dark horse pick for Ultimate, I don't think we've seen any content from Take-Two or any of its subsidiaries in Ultimate either.

Top Bottom