• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Arthur: Ghosts 'n Goblins Support Thread

Jumpman1985

Smash Rookie

Ghosts 'n Goblins[a] is a run and gun platformer video game series created by Tokuro Fujiwara and developed by Capcom. The first entry in the series was Ghosts 'n Goblins, released as an arcade title on September 19, 1985. The series has subsequently been released on and ported to a variety of game consoles and mobile platforms and spawned several sequels and spin-offs.

In Ghosts 'n Goblins, the player assumes the role of Arthur, a knight who must venture into the Demon Realm village in order to rescue his princesssweetheart. Arthur uses a variety of projectile weapons such as lances, axes, and daggers to eliminate anything that stands in his way.

The princess of a certain poaceful (sic) country is abducted by a messenger from Hades and a knight who loves the princess leaves for Hades to rescue her.However, to rescue the princess, the knight must pass through six gates guarded by Satan's generals to reach Hades.Of course there are also demons that attack the knight between the six gates. The knight has five kinds of weapons which he uses skillfully to destroy the attacking demons and advance into Hades.The knight needs your help to rescue the princess and escape from Hades so test your skill!

Oddball

Smash Lord
Arthur is a classic. I'd be all for him.

Question though, would getting him in his underwear be tied to damage or a special move? I mean you can't just have Arthur and NOT have him running around in his boxers at some point.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I support this. We got classic third-party NES All-Stars in Smash. :ultmegaman::ultpacman::ultsimon: Why not Arthur too?

Arthur is a classic. I'd be all for him.

Question though, would getting him in his underwear be tied to damage or a special move? I mean you can't just have Arthur and NOT have him running around in his boxers at some point.
They could always make the underwear an alternate costume like Shulk.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I say make his Armor break at 100% at which point he becomes faster but even more at risk of KO.

I'd like to add my support as I want to get the whole NES gang in on this game.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'd like to add my support as I want to get the whole NES gang in on this game.
Yes!

The third-party characters from the NES Classic Edition are probably the best choices. The ones I listed below are from the NES games that are available in both NES Classic Edition and Famicom Classic Edition.

Mega Man 2
  • :ultmegaman:

Pac-Man
  • :ultpacman:

Castlevania
  • :ultsimon:

Ghosts 'n Goblins
  • Arthur

Ninja Gaiden
  • Ryu Hayabusa

Double Dragon II
  • Billy Lee + Jimmy Lee (Echo or Alt)

Super C
  • Bill Rizer + Lance Bean (Echo or Alt)

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Yes!

The third-party characters from the NES Classic Edition are probably the best choices. The ones I listed below are from the NES games that are available in both NES Classic Edition and Famicom Classic Edition.

Mega Man 2
  • :ultmegaman:

Pac-Man
  • :ultpacman:

Castlevania
  • :ultsimon:

Ghosts 'n Goblins
  • Arthur

Ninja Gaiden
  • Ryu Hayabusa

Double Dragon II
  • Billy Lee + Jimmy Lee (Echo or Alt)

Super C
  • Bill Rizer + Lance Bean (Echo or Alt)
Never understood why the Japanese version didn't have Bubble Bobble. I guess they really liked NES Golf. Add them to the list and I feel that'd be all the best parts of the NES represented. Maybe ask Mattel if they're willing to licence out the Power Glove again...

As for Arthur's gameplay, I imagine him as a zoner with a lot of projectile options like Mega Man but with two main differences.

A. Better up close attacks for when the gap is closed, which he will need because...
B. He'd be much lighter, making more vulnerable to KO. (stupid tin foil armor...)

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
He's such a classic character, it would be amazing to see him in the game. Especially after how they handled Castlevania, which is in some ways Konami's equivalent to Ghosts n' Goblins. I support him!

Bee Card

Smash Ace
Simon was my first most wanted character and Arthur my second, now with Simon confirmed, Arthur is my most wanted ! I think that Princess Prin Prin could be a cool echo of Arthur and Red Arremer/Firebrand a good assist trophy. Also the first level of Super Ghoul's n Ghosts with the moving ground could be very fun and unique.
So I support this !

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Simon was my #1 as well, and while my new #1 is Ryu Hayabusa, Arthur is still in my top 3.

Anyone with games on both the NES and SNES Classic Editions deserves to be in Smash.

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Simon was my first most wanted character and Arthur my second, now with Simon confirmed, Arthur is my most wanted ! I think that Princess Prin Prin could be a cool echo of Arthur and Red Arremer/Firebrand a good assist trophy. Also the first level of Super Ghoul's n Ghosts with the moving ground could be very fun and unique.
So I support this !

Actually, Lancelot from Ghosts 'n Goblins: Gold Knights should work as a better Echo Fighter for Arthur.

Differences are obvious: he's faster (like throwing his swords "which are his lances" at same speed in his home game), has lower defense and different magic powers/weapons.

He's also like Richter: both are playable in their first game (Rondo of Blood/Gold Knights) and later forced to fight the hero in a sequel (Symphony of the Night/Gold Knights II).

And I support this board for a case of other Capcom reps beside Dante and Frank West.

D

Deleted member

I'll admit to being quite curious about what a 3rd Capcom series in Smash would be. We've already got Mega Man and Street Fighter which were the clear first two. But there doesn't really seem to be anything as notable for a 3rd option aside from perhaps Monster Hunter.

Ghosts N Goblins is another classic Capcom series though. So sure, why not? Would prefer Firebrand from Gargoyle's quest just a tad bit more but Arthur is a solid option.

Consider me a supporter.

merchantofsalt

Smash Apprentice
I'm hugely for Arthur, he would work great as a keepaway character with lots of projectiles. My idea for the armor mechanic was the following: he starts off with his regular armor, and all his special moves are projectiles. Over time, a bar on his stock icon fills up, and when it's full he can use down-special to acquire the golden armor, which makes him stronger overall and gives his projectiles special properties. However, the golden armor has a time limit, and when it ends the armor breaks, leaving him in boxers and in a weakened state. At this point the bar starts to fill up again and when it's full, he immediately re-acquires his regular armor. Then the cycle starts again. (He also regains his regular armor when KO'd.)

Looma

Smash Journeyman
Even with so much fierce competition within Capcom, my heart longs for Arthur most of all. Recent developments reminded me of how much I like this series. Hopefully he would come with a good bit of Gargoyle's Quest content as well (pls give me Smash arrangements of some Demon's Crest music).

The dream for me is both Arthur AND Firebrand as playable characters, but I'd happily take just Arthur.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
The dream for me is both Arthur AND Firebrand as playable characters, but I'd happily take just Arthur.
Pipe dream would be Arthur and Firebrand as playable. Asteroth as a boss.

Expectation would be Arthur as playable with Firebrand as an AT.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
Pipe dream would be Arthur and Firebrand as playable. Asteroth as a boss.

Expectation would be Arthur as playable with Firebrand as an AT.
In terms of DLC, most I can expect is playable Arthur and his stage + some sweet GQ music tracks mixed into the GnG music pool to rep my boy Firebrand in his absence. Sm4sh unfortunately doesn't give me much hope for ATs being attached to DLC fighters, but I'd quickly change my tune if Joker came with Jack Frost or something.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Sm4sh unfortunately doesn't give me much hope for ATs being attached to DLC fighters
Sure, but I'm willing to be surprised at free ATs/echo fighters/bosses being thrown in between the paid DLC packs.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
Sure, but I'm willing to be surprised at free ATs/echo fighters/bosses being thrown in between the paid DLC packs.
That definitely seems more viable. It could be like a Star Allies thing.

Also I had a thought about Arthur's classic mode. It should loop and need to be completed twice to get to the credits. :4pacman:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Heck yeah, I’d be all for Arthur! Ghouls ‘n Ghosts was one of my most cherished childhood games and I love playing as Arthur and Firebrand in MvC3, they’re just the best.

I don’t know if they’d go all in on another Capcom character, but I’d flip out if they picked Arthur for DLC considering his retro icon status.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
Heck yeah, I’d be all for Arthur! Ghouls ‘n Ghosts was one of my most cherished childhood games and I love playing as Arthur and Firebrand in MvC3, they’re just the best.

I don’t know if they’d go all in on another Capcom character, but I’d flip out if they picked Arthur for DLC considering his retro icon status.
Capcom seems to be incredibly enthusiastic about licensing their properties to Smash if the staggering amount of their content that's in already is anything to go by. I think they're the most likely of the 3rd parties to see more from due to how easy they are to work with (and the most optimal content wise IMO). Plus they just outright have a lot of characters that are "worthy" of Smash given their history, and they're certainly more generous with them than Square Enix is. :4pacman:

Hopefully they'd even be the first to get 2 unique characters from the same franchise. Firebrand pls

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
We need Arthur, Ryu Hayabusa, guys from Contra, somebody from Double Dragon, and the Battletoads to complete the major NES all star lineup in the roster. So I support sir Arthur getting into Smash.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
We need Arthur, Ryu Hayabusa, guys from Contra, somebody from Double Dragon, and the Battletoads to complete the major NES all star lineup in the roster. So I support sir Arthur getting into Smash.
As iconic as Double Dragon is here in NA, I really hope that if they're going to do one of those Technos franchises now owned by ArcSys, that River City Ransom gets in first.

Kunio and co. just have a lot more personality, a lot more diverse movesets, and frankly, just much better games than Double Dragon.

Besides, the best part of Double Dragon, it's theme song, also appears in RCR. So you could still add Kunio and still get that song in Smash.

D

Deleted member

I have seen a lot of people talk about a new Capcom character for DLC. Admittedly, all the other choices people mentioned (Phoenix Wright, Morrigan, Viewtiful Joe, RE character) bore me.

But this one......oh boy, it's right up my alley. Of course i prefer Firebrand, the demonic Crimson Gargoyle, but i do respect the Old School Arcade Knight in Shining Armor himself (plus there's no way they are gonna put him over Arthur)

Supported!

That's Trevor Belmont, not Simon.

But, seeing Rad in there gave me a great idea.........

Last edited by a moderator:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Of course i prefer Firebrand, the demonic Crimson Gargoyle, but i do respect the Old School Arcade Knight in Shining Armor himself (plus there's no way they are gonna put him over Arthur)
Me too, but I figure you have to have Arthur first before you can get to Firebrand later.
That's Trevor Belmont, not Simon.
Hmm, I had thought they used the same sprite. But I can see now that Trevor has a headband that Simon does not.

Last edited:

Bee Card

Smash Ace
Hey ! With the arrival of an iconic retro and more niche character like my boy Terry Bogard (as well as Simon) I'm getting more hopes for Arthur ! What about you all ?

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Hey ! With the arrival of an iconic retro and more niche character like my boy Terry Bogard (as well as Simon) I'm getting more hopes for Arthur ! What about you all ?
I'm glad that Terry is playable, Terry is an obvious step towards Kyo (king of fighters), Reimu, Bomberman, Arthur, Bill Rizer, Ryu Hayabusa, Phoenix Wright, Crash Bandicoot etc.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
The fact that we're getting more DLC beyond the pass is the thing that gave me more hope.

Bee Card

Smash Ace
The fact that we're getting more DLC beyond the pass is the thing that gave me more hope.
Yes that too.
In fact the only real "wall" for me is that Capcom prefer to put a "useful" character for them, like RE character or Viewtiful Joe. I mean Ghosts'n Goblins is pretty much dead (I know there's a strange online game in japan about the franchise but that's nothing really important) and the only way representing this series in smash can be "useful" for Capcom is not for pushing the series itself but for the image of capcom (cuz Arthur is iconic).

But perhaps if it's Sakurai that choose which third-parties he wants to discuss with it can be a "give me arthur or nothing" choice for capcom if he just wants Arthur (and I'm pretty sure that in the logic of Sakurai, Arthur is the next after Megaman and Street Fighter).

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Huh ? In which timeline do you live so I can join it ^^
I meant Terry not Arthur. Also since there will be more DLC fighters, Arthur still has a strong chance along with Reimu (touhou), and Kyo (king of fighters) who I also want.

Last edited:

Bee Card

Smash Ace
Guys now that Resident Evil is deconfirmed I'm more confident for our boy Arthur to join Smash. :shades:

Especially cause Sakurai said in the Banjo presentation that new fighters after the first fighter pass will allow for new series to join the game (so this give less chance for Monster Hunter to get a character too). Another thing that give me hopes is the inclusion of Terry Bogard who is an iconic character but not so popular nowadays... like Arthur. :bee:

Now the only two among Capcom who can replace Arthur's inclusion are Dante and Viewtiful Joe. :demon:

Last edited:
Top Bottom