• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ARMS Character Reveal for Smash Ultimate Announced for June 22nd

ARMS.jpg

Today it was announced that the long-awaited ARMS character for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate would be revealed on June 22nd at 7:00 a.m. Pacific Time. Fans can expect an exciting new reveal along with other content such as music, stages, and other surprises.

Furthermore, Nintendo has also stated that there would not be any additional character reveals during this stream. People who are eager to get info on Challenger Pack 7 will have to wait a bit longer.

The ARMS character reveal comes months after the series was confirmed to get a character in the Nintendo Direct Mini back in March. There has been much debate as to who the ARMS rep will be, but at last this will all come to an end on Monday.

The livestream can be viewed here and will start at 7 a.m. Pacific Time/10 a.m. Eastern Time.

Author’s Note: Who are you hoping the ARMS rep is? I’m personally hoping for Ribbon Girl or Lola Pop! Let us know in the comments below!

Last edited:
Sari

Comments

Ultimate has not received any software updates since Byleth's reveal, so it will be interesting to see who the ARMS fighter is going to be. I would think that it's someone who's not an Assist Trophy, and/or a Spirit.

I won't be able to catch the presentation when it airs, is there a way i could launch the video without being spoiled ?

I wonder if Biff will comment over the fighter in the trailer
like Sothis and the Phantom Thieves did to Byleth & Joker respectively?

Last edited:
Calling that at the end we learn when they will actually announce FP7 as they would have likely been an E3 reveal and have a finished trailer.

Here's hoping that we never have a three-month-long (or longer) guessing game for a Smash character again. I really don't want the next Smash announcement to be something like "the next character in the Fighters Pass is... from Capcom!" and then no updates for four months.

If I had to pick one ARMS character that seems likely, I'd go with Min Min, though I'm not familiar with ARMS so I think I'd be fine with most of them. Either way, it seems like at least one fan rule is going to be demolished on Monday, which should make speculation more interesting. (and give people more to talk about, or give them more hope in general - though that last part could be a good thing or a bad thing)

Last edited:
Unfortunately, Nintendo already announced they wouldn't.
Except that’s not what they said.

They said no new fighter would be shown in this presentation.
If they announced a separate presentation then that doesn’t break that statement as the reveal would be in a separate presentation or video

Here's hoping that we never have a three-month-long (or longer) guessing game for a Smash character again. I really don't want the next Smash announcement to be something like "the next character in the Fighters Pass is... from Capcom!" and then no updates for four months.
It also didn't help that we've had to deal with the coronavirus pandemic in-between the wait; that had to delay the development process to some extent.

Except that’s not what they said.

They said no new fighter would be shown in this presentation.
If they announced a separate presentation then that doesn’t break that statement as the reveal would be in a separate presentation or video
I think it’s appropriate to surmise that Nintendo’s statement means that a new character won’t be announced, shown, or revealed after the ARMS character presentation. Yeah, there’s always a chance but why yank everyone’s chain? If they intend to show a charqcter, then they will announce it or just leave the matter be. The Terry announcement and Banjo presentation was within a Direct but we have never seen a second character announced in a presentation trailer. I I Nagaike that Nintendo is holding out for the hypothesized July Direct.

I will say that 35 minutes is awfully long to dedicate it to ARMS. The character must be pretty complicated since Sakurai can devote 15-20 minutes talking about ARmS history like he did with SNK. There must be something there or the character has tons of gimmicks to discuss.

I can't believe they totally missed the opportunity to release Spring Man in Spring.
The word joke is lost in Japan. Spring is 春 or Haru. Unless the person is well-aquatinted with English and English word jokes; most of the meaning behind it would had been lost on most of the Japanese players. Seeing how it’s made by Japanese and the game is still #1 in Japan; they tend to focus on that demographic.

Im more surprised they decided not to air it on the ARMS aniiversary but went with a Pokemon presentation. Which reminds me, we have both this and the Pokémon presentation next week. It’s gonna get busy!

Last edited:
I think it’s appropriate to surmise that Nintendo’s statement means that a new character won’t be announced, shown, or revealed after the ARMS character presentation. Yeah, there’s always a chance but why yank everyone’s chain? If they intend to show a charqcter, then they will announce it or just leave the matter be. The Terry announcement and Banjo presentation was within a Direct but we have never seen a second character announced in a presentation trailer. I I Nagaike that Nintendo is holding out for the hypothesized July Direct.

I will say that 35 minutes is awfully long to dedicate it to ARMS. The character must be pretty complicated since Sakurai can devote 15-20 minutes talking about ARmS history like he did with SNK. There must be something there or the character has tons of gimmicks to discuss.
Like I said the character would not be announced in this presentation, but like how we’ve had them announce smash directs after announcements in directs, it wouldn’t be totally crazy for Sakurai to say I plan to share some more news with you soon.

E3 is huge for game devs and I fully believe that the ARMS rep was mostly done by E3.I think the next Character has a trailer ready because we have always had the double E3 reveal and we’ve seen evidence from pasts years that suggests the material is made a few months before E3. Yes there is a pandemic but the team has been ahead of schedule if we look at DLC Pass 1. So they probably got an early start on their new work.

Regardless the pandemic cancelled and shook up plans so then saying we have more news to share like Pokémon did isn’t too out there as their plans would have also been affected. For example I doubt we would Have had two Pokémon Presents if their press conference wasn’t cancelled.

The smash schedule likely got mixed up as well and reveals will probably be shifted and adapted accordingly.

Announcing when FP7 will be shown off at the end isn’t a stretch when the fighter is likely ready for at least that. That way like how Pokémon is dedicating a separate showcase to some game, Smash would be doing a separate presentation or mini smash direct or even live video like Robin’s Smash 4 trailer is a possibility imo.

Like I said the character would not be announced in this presentation, but like how we’ve had them announce smash directs after announcements in directs, it wouldn’t be totally crazy for Sakurai to say I plan to share some more news with you soon.

E3 is huge for game devs and I fully believe that the ARMS rep was mostly done by E3.I think the next Character has a trailer ready because we have always had the double E3 reveal and we’ve seen evidence from pasts years that suggests the material is made a few months before E3. Yes there is a pandemic but the team has been ahead of schedule if we look at DLC Pass 1. So they probably got an early start on their new work.

Regardless the pandemic cancelled and shook up plans so then saying we have more news to share like Pokémon did isn’t too out there as their plans would have also been affected. For example I doubt we would Have had two Pokémon Presents if their press conference wasn’t cancelled.

The smash schedule likely got mixed up as well and reveals will probably be shifted and adapted accordingly.

Announcing when FP7 will be shown off at the end isn’t a stretch when the fighter is likely ready for at least that. That way like how Pokémon is dedicating a separate showcase to some game, Smash would be doing a separate presentation or mini smash direct or even live video like Robin’s Smash 4 trailer is a possibility imo.
It wouldn’t surprised me to see something like this get added at the end “Stay tuned for the next Nintendo Direct to air on [insert date] where we will reveal new information for Smash!”

But having a character reveal or even a “the next fighter will be from [insert series]” seems highly doubtful based on Nintendo’s statement. This was the general idea I got from your post. Perhaps I misunderstood your original intent.

Man. This COVID-19 **** is horse****. I've been waiting almost a year for a proper Nintendo Direct. I wanna see what the Super Mario remakes look like!

It wouldn’t surprised me to see something like this get added at the end “Stay tuned for the next Nintendo Direct to air on [insert date] where we will reveal new information for Smash!”

But having a character reveal or even a “the next fighter will be from [insert series]” seems highly doubtful based on Nintendo’s statement. This was the general idea I got from your post. Perhaps I misunderstood your original intent.
Sorry for the confusion but yeah I don’t think we are the fighter or series as you said. Also like you said I do predict we get something like your first paragraph, where they tell us what to look for in the future when it comes to FP7’s reveal.

Speculation is all over the place with who the character is, and while Springaling may be the one they go with, I can't help but root for my number 1!

Still really disappointed that the new fighter to start off the fighters pass is a fighter from ARMS. The game was mediocre in my opinion and while I don't doubt that the gameplay of the fighter could be cool, I still think there were way better options to choose from whether Nintendo wanted to go with a first-party or third-party character

Top Bottom