• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Arle Nadja, Puyo Popper Extraordinaire pops into Smash Bros.! (New Management!)

Which Puyo protagonist would you prefer for Smash?

• Total voters

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Yes! is good. It has the funniest villain in the series.
I think its also the last Precure to have 2 seasons and the last to have a green precure cause green doesnt sell well with girls.
On the contrary, this was FAR from the last season to have a green PreCure. Smile PreCure had one, as well as Star Twinkle PreCure.

Clumsyzephyr

Smash Journeyman
With SMT Nocturne's remaster releasing soon, it could potentially show up as a spirit event. While it could mean nothing, I think it'd be interesting for that to get one while PPT2 didn't, especially with both being heavily marketed by Nintendo for the switch.

Just something that popped into my mind earlier, it's entirely possible Puyo gets one later but recently they've been pretty good about third party spirit events for new entries being close to their launch.

Last edited:

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
This thread has been dormant for too long. We're less than a day of the Nintendo E3 Presentation (June 15, 9AM PST / 12PM EST) so we need to get some discussion going.

But this is it, everyone. We're only two characters away from the end so it's tomorrow or nothing. Even if they only reveal one character at E3 I really doubt Arle is being saved for last, so i feel this is truly it. Regardless of the result, I feel everything comes to a close tomorrow.

Fingers crossed!

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Best of luck everyone! Doodled this the other day to clear my head... here's hoping for the best. I believe in her.

If we only get one reveal tomorrow and it's not Arle, it's certainly not the end of the road anyway. But I'd love to know as soon as possible, haha.

1623724809342.png

Last edited:

Prince777

REIMU AND KOS-MOS FOR SMASH!
NNID
songokuthegreat
Switch FC
SW-3912-2310-8722
https://twitter.com/Harada_TEKKEN/status/1185053442563162113?s=19 I don’t think Kazuya getting in helps our prospects.
That's a shame, but the support groups he listed doesn't necessarily guarantee said character will not be accompanying the roster. Vergeben and other leakers hint at Master Chief being playable in the near future (whether as the last fighter of FP2 or a potential FP3). The same applies to Arle, whose chance is arguably greater than any of the other groups except for Chief.

DynoStretch

Smash Cadet
Well, at this point I'm pretty much convinced Phoenix is out of the ranking, which leaves Shantae as my MW at this point.

Though with that said, I still think Arle would be a good, more realistic choice than her.

I just think the roster is lacking in colorful, whimsical magic at the moment, I'm still pushing for Shantae, but I think Arle would nicely fit that niche too.

Last edited:

metalhydra273

Smash Apprentice
That's a shame, but the support groups he listed doesn't necessarily guarantee said character will not be accompanying the roster. Vergeben and other leakers hint at Master Chief being playable in the near future (whether as the last fighter of FP2 or a potential FP3). The same applies to Arle, whose chance is arguably greater than any of the other groups except for Chief.
Oh it's not a serious concern, but looking at it now that Kazuya is in and none of those characters are it's kind of funny. tbh I'm gonna go on a limb and just low key believe none of those characters are making it, but that's more because Nintendo is going for complete surprises and have chosen characters I never seriously considered every single time in the 2nd pass, so I'm just gonna expect someone I'm not thinking of to be next. Since I'm typing here though you should know that I hope I'm wrong.

DynoStretch

Smash Cadet
So after the reveal of Kazuya, I've been giving things some thought, and I'm going to just go all-in and support Arle as FP11. As for my reasons...

1) After Sephiroth and Kazuya, I'm kinda burnt out on dark, serious and edgy characters, this pass needs a little more light-heartedness.

2) After Sephiroth and Pyra/Mythra, I really don't want to see another swordie in this pass.

3) I think a good quirky magic-based fighter would nicely round out the pass, and Arle fits the bill nicely.

4) Puyo Puyo is really popular in Japan, and Nintendo/Sega are putting in some effort to push the series in the west. Since Nintendo's picking the roster it's a possibility.

5) I admit this choice is mostly for the pure sake of variety, which I doubt Nintendo cares that much about, but what else can I say about it? It's impossible to predict anything at this point.

DynoStretch

Smash Cadet
Ugh, I accidentally double posted cause the site is going so slow right now. I don't know how to delete a topic.

So instead here's one of the funniest lines in Puyo Puyo Tetris. Schezo should totally get a Mii Swordfighter costume.

b.jpg

Last edited:

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
Imagine if the Puyo Puyo fighter is not Arle, but Amitie or Ringo.
We thought Rex would be in but we got Pyra/Mythra instead.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Oh, man... Ngl, that possibility's been on my mind after getting Min Min (over Spring Man and/or Ribbon Girl) and Pyra and Mythra (over Rex)...

That said, we might be in a better spot as Mizuki Hosoyamada himself has gone on record to state that if any Puyo character were to rep Puyo in Smash, it'd apparently be Arle, hands-down.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
That was because of development difficulties involving Rex, who otherwise most likely would have had a much clearer shot.

If any difficulties in development arise with Arle, Amitie or Ringo are unlikely to be in a much better position.

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
That was because of development difficulties involving Rex, who otherwise most likely would have had a much clearer shot.

If any difficulties in development arise with Arle, Amitie or Ringo are unlikely to be in a much better position.
Oh, man... Ngl, that possibility's been on my mind after getting Min Min (over Spring Man and/or Ribbon Girl) and Pyra and Mythra (over Rex)...

That said, we might be in a better spot as Mizuki Hosoyamada himself has gone on record to state that if any Puyo character were to rep Puyo in Smash, it'd apparently be Arle, hands-down.
Mizuki Hosoyamada could be convinced that Arle was originally an MM character, not a Puyo one like Amitie and Ringo and a smart bookworm like Ringo could fit the puzzle vibe more than the other two in Sakurai's mind.
I doubt that this is a good theory, though.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Also, both of the characters you mentioned are first parties.

Why would they add a third party character who plays second fiddle to somebody else? Not who people are asking for?

I really cannot see them adding a Puyo character who isn't Arle unless developer bias was in play but that's an X factor we can't account for because we can't prove or disprove it.

Personally if they did add Amitie or Ringo first, I'd be bummed out. Arle's the one with the most potential and the one who represents the series best, only Carbuncle really competes.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
And here's weird mobile game crossover #4701

amageish

Smash Master

So, here's something that could be worth keeping an eye on. Super Monkey Ball is adding SEGA guest characters and, if they include Arle, then that'd be a very good sign of them trying to push the Puyo Puyo branding outside of Japan...

Mushufasa

Smash Cadet
Hi! I didn't know much about Arle before researching potential Smash characters. I think I saw her once in a M.U.G.E.N match on Salty Bet.

But after the research, Arle would be an amazing fit! I imagine her moveset could be created in a few directions.

It would probably involve something magical of course. Whether to include some form of combo system to help represent her gameplay or not would be interesting. Like, perhaps her A moves in a certain 'Stance' involve certain colored Puyos (Thinking similar to Olimar?). And if you chain certain colors or combinations together, you could buff up your attack! Or Move speed! Or make your attacks longer! I'm almost thinking like a mix between Hero and Olimar if that makes any sense. And perhaps Down B changes this stance so that different attacks use different colored Puyos, so you could go for different combos...

Haha, that might be a tad complex to implement in Smash, but I imagine -something- like that would be a fun and satisfying fighter to play as. Plus there's plenty of music to choose from / remix!

Count me as an Arle supporter 🙂

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hi! I didn't know much about Arle before researching potential Smash characters. I think I saw her once in a M.U.G.E.N match on Salty Bet.

But after the research, Arle would be an amazing fit! I imagine her moveset could be created in a few directions.

It would probably involve something magical of course. Whether to include some form of combo system to help represent her gameplay or not would be interesting. Like, perhaps her A moves in a certain 'Stance' involve certain colored Puyos (Thinking similar to Olimar?). And if you chain certain colors or combinations together, you could buff up your attack! Or Move speed! Or make your attacks longer! I'm almost thinking like a mix between Hero and Olimar if that makes any sense. And perhaps Down B changes this stance so that different attacks use different colored Puyos, so you could go for different combos...

Haha, that might be a tad complex to implement in Smash, but I imagine -something- like that would be a fun and satisfying fighter to play as. Plus there's plenty of music to choose from / remix!

Count me as an Arle supporter 🙂
Sorry for the late reply. Had some stuff to take care of. Anyways... M Mushufasa ! You're now officially a member of the Puyo-popping experience! Congrats! Nice moveset idea, by the way!

Remind me again, Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 came out last December? And there's still no Spirit Event?

Interesting.
Yeah... I mean, we shouldn't get our hopes up, but still... cautiously optimistic, personally.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
True, considering SEGA is still prominently involved with the Switch.

Exact sales figures for PPT2 have been hard to conclusively determine, but by the standards of the Puyo Puyo series? It seems to be doing really well. Around the 500,000 to 600,000 ballpark considering that we know both games have broken 2 million and PPT1 had 1.4 million from its last individual point. Considering the 3 year international and 6 year domestic head start PPT1 had, that's really good. Not Sonic figures of course, but it seems to be doing much better than before. (On that note, I dunno where the rumors that PPT2 was doing poorly came from. Probably the early sales, but that can be chalked up to SEGA not being confident in the series.)

However the 30th anniversary has been kinda dry. Tetris 2's content updates were awesome and there's been some long overdue stuff happening in Quest, but so far the actual 30th has been nothing but Quest. The Super Puyo Quest Project seems really interesting, though.

Assuming plan A (Arle gets into Smash as Challenger Pack 11) isn't the big 30th thing [regardless of whether that statement ages well or, more likely, poorly], I... have been celebrating the 30th since the middle of August with plans for a fangame! However, I want to keep it mostly a secret. It's public knowledge on Discord, but it's intended to be a secret elsewhere. I'll reveal it once I actually get past the planning stages, which is where it's at.

Last edited:

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
Tomorrow is the next direct.
CP11 is the last chance to prove Harada's tweet wouldn't necessarily have disconfirmed her (or the rest of the characters mentioned in that tweet).

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
I feel like I've written a lot of "Look on the bright side!" posts recently, but for Puyo Puyo? Yeah, uh, the Switch has been amazing for the future of this IP! We've gone from a game series that gets entirely scrubbed of its characters, lore, and music outside of Japan to a game series that has its own official English-language Twitter account tweeting ****posts. Even without Arle in Smash, things are looking up for Puyo Puyo fans in general... ignoring the arguments around the lack of non-Tetris-crossover anniversary game this year.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Well that's that, no Arle in Ultimate. And since Sora happened, it wasn't due to Harada or me or Alberto, and with official backing it wasn't because of no violence rules or stuff like that. It just wasn't meant to be.

Since this thread is shutting down in the near future, let me discuss my plans.

en logo concept v4b.png

This is the work-in-progress logo for Puyo Puyo 7R, which is the fangame I intend to create in the future. It is a remake of Puyo Puyo 7 to match the level of detail, quality and content offered in both successors and predecessors with minimal reliance on content from post-2009 (or 20th onwards), including but not limited to...

• Every mode from 15th alongside a rebalanced transformation.
  • 24 main characters plus 8 hidden unlockable characters, and variants of those characters (Dark Arle, Popoi, Strange Klug, Capless Amitie, Trio, and more).
  • A refurbished, recreated story with more thought and utility put into it.
  • An enhanced artstyle reminiscent of 20th onward
  • Old-school character names for that authentic 2009 feel.
  • Possibly rollback netcode?
  • The last big thing I can think of would be modding support on par with previous fangame Puyo Puyo Vs.

Now of course this won't come easy, I need to scrounge up funds to pay my team. And also, a team, because while I do have some skills I don't have enough to make something of this scale on my own. But, I am sharing this to let you guys know what my goal is in the future.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
I'm genuinely surprised that there's just, no Puyo Puyo content at all in the game. No Mii costume, no Spirit Event, and obviously no character. For a series that's had some prevalence on the Switch for quite some time and even just recently celebrated its anniversary, it's really bizarre.

Definitely unfortunate that Arle didn't make it in at the end, but hopefully things will look better whenever the next game rolls around. At the very least Puyo Puyo isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Oh man, I feel bad that poor Arle couldn't get in after all. And it really does feel like this was Puyo Puyo's best shot of getting in.

What it means is, like so many other games, that Puyo Puyo's gonna have to walk on its own feet after all. It's done so much good these past few years just trying as hard as it can to break into English territories, and that in itself is commendable.

Maybe it never gets into Smash, or never really becomes as big as it could've been, but that's okay. Because I'm still glad I got to learn about this girl and her games, and that so many people were introduced to it regardless of the outcome. Hopefully, the future becomes better for this franchise regardless.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
You guys are kidding yourself if you don't think there's a next time. But this time, yes. The sun has set on every newcomer that didn't make it. I have hope, the Japanese Twitter mentioned "dreaming of joining the battle". It doesn't feel unrealistic anymore.

But today we can rest and worry about that when the next cycle begins. For now, let's just commemorate how far we got, even if we weren't the winners.

metalhydra273

Smash Apprentice
As much as it sucks, when it came to light that it seemed that these were more "Nintendo's choices" rather than requested by another company (like Snake), it was a bit of a blow to Arle's chances. Sure, she has a solid Japanese scene, but it's just not there in the West quite yet even if it's gained some steam recently. The problem in hindsight is that Nintendo wanted massive hits for its 3rd party characters this pass, and Arle is more of a safe pick than something Nintendo can flex. I'm more surprised that we didn't at least get spirits, so that's a shame. It really sucks because I can see a smash inclusion really helping Puyo, but Nintendo probably didn't have the reasoning to pick her over the huge gets we ended up getting. Here's hoping for another Sega All-Stars someday I guess. That should do for the hindsight write-up.

Top Bottom