• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Arle Nadja, Puyo Popper Extraordinaire pops into Smash Bros.! (New Management!)

Which Puyo protagonist would you prefer for Smash?

• Total voters

amageish

Smash Master

You know, I have been wanting a Monokuma deluxe Mii outfit. It would be cool if one gets paired with Arle if she is playable. :p
Me, lying in bed, still sleepy and coming from browsing Danganronpa art to this thread: Wow! I’m so tired that I must be seeing Danganronpa everywhere now. As it’s not like a Puyo/Danganronpa collab would be possible....
(The images load in)
Me: Oh... Maybe I’m still asleep and dreaming!

Anyway, that’s neat! Now put characters in Quest, SEGA. I want some DR characters in the Puyo art style. Give us Chiaki, but with a little Puyo pin instead of her usual spaceship.

Munchi

Smash Journeyman
I haven't written here for a long time, has there been any interesting news?

amageish

Smash Master

Oh, hey, more DLC formally confirmed. Nice to see the new characters in action; it's a good spooky pack, I suppose.

We're also getting the Colourblind mode added back, which is wonderful, but also a very weird thing to wait 2 months to add?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Happy Puyo Day everyone! ...On this side of the world at least!

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
The fact that Puyo Puyo is getting a collab event with Danganronpa should hopefully shut down the argument that Sega wouldn't want Arle in Smash because it'd be too violent/inappropriate for her (which I sometimes still see people say because of that one old article about a Puyo Puyo fighting game).
To be fair, I'd say that Mizuki Hosoyamada (the Puyo series' current producer) already shut down the argument himself when, during an interview, he was asked about Smash Ultimate and what Puyo character he'd want to rep Puyo Puyo. Guy immediately said Arle should be the rep.

Last edited:

metalhydra273

Smash Apprentice
The fact that Puyo Puyo is getting a collab event with Danganronpa should hopefully shut down the argument that Sega wouldn't want Arle in Smash because it'd be too violent/inappropriate for her (which I sometimes still see people say because of that one old article about a Puyo Puyo fighting game).
I mean let's also not ignore the collabs with EVA and Bleach of all things, so this kind of stuff isn't exactly new.

D

Deleted member

Even if it seems impossible, What if Arle's inclusion only features Compile Era representations? This means ONLY Arle in her classic design, Spirits are Compile artworks, Mii Costumes are only Compile Era characters and Music tracks are only Compile era related.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Even if it seems impossible, What if Arle's inclusion only features Compile Era representations? This means ONLY Arle in her classic design, Spirits are Compile artworks, Mii Costumes are only Compile Era characters and Music tracks are only Compile era related.
I think it's unlikely that we'd see exclusively Compile content, but as that's the era that I tend to gravitate toward I wouldn't be too upset about that.

That being said, there's no doubt that Arle's design would pull dominantly from the Sonic Team era. Outside of this though, I've always thought that Puyo in Smash would lean mostly heavily toward Puyo 2 content, so the rest isn't very far off from what I've thought about (just not only Compile stuff). Just as SF2 was the game that revolutionized its genre and created the biggest splash within its series, Puyo 2 is the big hit that cemented Puyo's legacy and is still often celebrated as the gold standard for Puyo gameplay. I definitely see Sakurai being a Compile era Puyo fan, at least - given his very apparent deep love for competitive 90s arcade games.

The stage I had in mind is the tower from Puyo 2, and my ideal costumes are a Draco Brawler and Schezo Swordie to round out the Puyo Puyo Sun crew. And Puyo 2 and Puyo Sun IMO has some of the most obvious potential for music / new arranges. That said, I'd be shocked if Spirits didn't include characters like Amitie, Ringo and Sig. So yeah, while I'm not thinking exclusively Compile content (or hoping for, really - plenty of opportunities from both eras and the whole series should get some love) I can really see us pulling dominantly from it anyway, outside of the general modern aesthetics now synonymous with the brand.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
As long as Arle herself has a fun kit, I suppose I wouldn't mind, though I would certainly be very confused! Her compile design is great.

my ideal costumes are a Draco Brawler and Schezo Swordie to round out the Puyo Puyo Sun crew.
Those are good Mii Costumes, as we all know that Schezo definitely would want to Smash with Arle.

Why are you looking at me like that?

Anyway, 2 and Sun would be fun focuses. My guesses is they either lean towards those or lean towards Puyo Puyo Chronicle...

D

Deleted member

Say, if there was to be more DLC Passes WHILE we already got Arle (Assuming she is the next reveal), i was thinking of a second Independent Puyo fighter ever since Sephiroth did it with Final Fantasy.

Munchi

Smash Journeyman

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I don't know how you guys feel, but I've got a bit of a haunting feeling that tomorrow is now or never for Arle (in regards to Ultimate, at least lol).

I'm not seeing her as a big E3 reveal nor am I seeing her as the final character (although that's more of an arbitrary gut feeling)... I think we've reached the perfect spot for her to appear, right in the middle of the pass and presumably smack between Sephiroth and another major hype character.

Because if we're being honest, Arle is kind of on that same playing field as someone like Terry. She's a character who can get a bunch of people excited on one side of the world, but will be met with a lot of confusion on the other. I think that's the sort of character we're going to see tomorrow, someone a bit more lowkey and experimental after two extremely huge reveals in Steve and Sephiroth that already sold people on the pass as is.

So here's hoping for the best! And I dunno, this train of thought is totally arbitrary, but it's just how I'm feelin' right now.
I just think the time is right, if Arle is in fact coming. And god I hope that she is, this is really one of the only things I sincerely want at this point.

Last edited:

Munchi

Smash Journeyman
I don't know how you guys feel, but I've got a bit of a haunting feeling that tomorrow is now or never for Arle (in regards to Ultimate, at least lol).

I'm not seeing her as a big E3 reveal nor am I seeing her as the final character (although that's more of an arbitrary gut feeling)... I think we've reached the perfect spot for her to appear, right in the middle of the pass and presumably smack between Sephiroth and another major hype character.

Because if we're being honest, Arle is kind of on that same playing field as someone like Terry. She's a character who can get a bunch of people excited on one side of the world, but will be met with a lot of confusion on the other. I think that's the sort of character we're going to see tomorrow, someone a bit more lowkey and experimental after two extremely huge reveals in Steve and Sephiroth that already sold people on the pass as is.

So here's hoping for the best! And I dunno, this train of thought is totally arbitrary, but it's just how I'm feelin' right now.
I just think the time is right, if Arle is in fact coming. And god I hope that she is, this is really one of the only things I sincerely want at this point.
I understand what you mean, well at least we'll just have to wait until tomorrow

Franauts

Smash Cadet

I don't think so, usually the final characters from every smash game aren't that crazy
Ultimate 1st pass: Byleth and Terry (DQ being huge in japan and Banjo Kazooie being a long requested character)
Ultimate: Ken and Incineroar (K.Rool and the Belmonst were more hype)
Smash 4 DLC: Corrin and Bayonetta (Bayonetta was an exceptional reveal, but compare it to Cloud or Ryu from freakin SF)
Smash 4: idk, Shulk, Duck Hunt and Bowser Jr. i think
Brawl: Olimar

So who knows? Minecraft is the best-selling game and Sephiroth is one of the most iconic videogame villains. Maybe the last 3 are retro/niche characters

D

Deleted member

I'm actually happy for Pyra and Mythra just because i like Nintendo characters in Smash MORE than Third parties. I initially support Lip (Panel de Pon) and just her for Smash, and Arle is just Icing on the cake. Well, since Rex is part of Final Smash for Pyra and mythra and still Mii Swordfighter Costume, it's only a matter of time until Sakurai decides to break the Mii Costume rule. Don't lose hope, 2 more to go in this Pass!

amageish

Smash Master

Third update! This is the end of the datamined stuff, so if we're getting more then it'll be an actual surprise~!

Edit:

English twitter confirmed this is it... So... Uh... We're done!

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master

Third update! This is the end of the datamined stuff, so if we're getting more then it'll be an actual surprise~!

Edit:

English twitter confirmed this is it... So... Uh... We're done!
Wonder if the games low sales made them give up making more content.

Game still feels incomplete.

amageish

Smash Master
Wonder if the games low sales made them give up making more content.

Game still feels incomplete.
Given how it was all datamined ahead of time, I imagine this was always the plan.

This is the largest roster of a Puyo game still! Things are generally fairly nice, though the community remaining split between it and Champions was kind of inevitable...

D

Deleted member

I personally won't accept a Spirit Event. Because, have we all forgotten that Arle has to fight? Sakurai wouldn't waste an opportunity for Arle to be a unique fighter. In my opinion, not having Arle fight may cause Smash Bros to be cursed. (And once we get forbidden picks instead of Arle, i would completely ditch Smash Bros from my life and move on to another game franchise i like better than Smash Bros.)

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I personally won't accept a Spirit Event. Because, have we all forgotten that Arle has to fight? Sakurai wouldn't waste an opportunity for Arle to be a unique fighter. In my opinion, not having Arle fight may cause Smash Bros to be cursed. (And once we get forbidden picks instead of Arle, i would completely ditch Smash Bros from my life and move on to another game franchise i like better than Smash Bros.)
I want Arle a lot, but I recognize that not every character can make it in. We aren't owed anything, regardless of how much potential Arle has, how important her series is, etc etc. The fact of the matter is there are only so many characters that can be added and it's possible she isn't one of them. It sounds a bit selfish to say you "won't accept" a spirit event since... do you really have a choice? Lmao

So if that's the case, I'd much rather Puyo at least get other forms of representation than see it entirely absent from Ultimate. If Arle won't be playable give me a Mii Costume, why not? I'd buy it and show my support toward the character. Give me a spirit event with Arle / Amitie / Carbuncle / Puyos or something like that (trying to think what a realistic, minimalist lineup could look like). At this rate, I'd appreciate the acknowledgement in any fashion considering my expectations are not high as is and I've reached the acceptance phase.

Can Arle still make it? Of course, but it's not the end of the world if she doesn't. We got plenty of fun characters and I think it would be silly to swear off the game entirely just because one of them didn't make the cut. And there will probably be plenty of opportunities in the eventual future for Arle to join the series too, assuming Puyo is still as popular and relevant as it is today.

Just don't be like that, I've always appreciated how Arle's fans have been very reasonable and understanding so I really don't like seeing that sort of attitude in this thread. Arle isn't owed a spot in Smash any more or less than any other character, but if we're lucky she might get one. We'll see.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I want Arle a lot, but I recognize that not every character can make it in. We aren't owed anything, regardless of how much potential Arle has, how important her series is, etc etc. The fact of the matter is there are only so many characters that can be added and it's possible she isn't one of them. It sounds a bit selfish to say you "won't accept" a spirit event since... do you really have a choice? Lmao

So if that's the case, I'd much rather Puyo at least get other forms of representation than see it entirely absent from Ultimate. If Arle won't be playable give me a Mii Costume, why not? I'd buy it and show my support toward the character. Give me a spirit event with Arle / Amitie / Carbuncle / Puyos or something like that (trying to think what a realistic, minimalist lineup could look like). At this rate, I'd appreciate the acknowledgement in any fashion considering my expectations are not high as is and I've reached the acceptance phase.

Can Arle still make it? Of course, but it's not the end of the world if she doesn't. We got plenty of fun characters and I think it would be silly to swear off the game entirely just because one of them didn't make the cut. And there will probably be plenty of opportunities in the eventual future for Arle to join the series too, assuming Puyo is still as popular and relevant as it is today.

Just don't be like that, I've always appreciated how Arle's fans have been very reasonable and understanding so I really don't like seeing that sort of attitude in this thread. Arle isn't owed a spot in Smash any more or less than any other character, but if we're lucky she might get one. We'll see.
Maybe, but still... In my opinion, a Spirit event or Mii Costume won't do big. For me, Arle should either FIGHT, or not be included at all. You can't make me change my mind. I'm outta here.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Maybe, but still... In my opinion, a Spirit event or Mii Costume won't do big. For me, Arle should either FIGHT, or not be included at all. You can't make me change my mind. I'm outta here.
You’re welcome to feel however you like, in my opinion though this kind of thinking is why the community is plagued with entitlement and conflict. If you love Puyo I can’t fathom why you’d rather it not get any love at all if Arle can’t be playable. Playable characters are not the be all end all of Smash representation.

I’d rather this attitude stay far away from an otherwise very open minded and friendly community of supporters. Plenty of characters with volatile angry fans and Arle doesn’t need to be one of them. So I do hope you’ll think on it a little more.

Last edited:

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I mean I can understand, but at the same time a win's a win, even if the victory is bittersweet. So I think if it turns out Arle as a fighter couldn't be realized, then I'll take what I can get. Like, I mean hoping for a Mii Costume would be strange unless you thought the character was a true no-hoper, and after CP11 every single character ever is going to be a no-hoper. So at that point, that or a Spirit Event is the best we've got.

Besides, I don't think Arle will be the Mii Costume in the first place. It'll probably be a Carbuncle Hat or Amitie's Cap instead, Arle getting in or not.

amageish

Smash Master
As someone who has made an entire thread for someone who I think is Mii Costume or bust, I don't think it's a fate worse then death by any means. It's getting into the game in a way that acknowledges that the IP, even if it isn't perfect. There just isn't infinite development time...

I could see Arle being a costume, even if none of the Mii archetypes exactly fit her... If there was a spirit event, I would guess Arle/Carby, Amitie, Ringo, and Ally would be the four spirits, maybe with each of them having a different colour of puyo in their art?

Also, on a completely unrelated note, TIL Umapuyo existed. Neat.

Top Bottom