• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Arle Nadja, Puyo Popper Extraordinaire pops into Smash Bros.! (New Management!)

Which Puyo protagonist would you prefer for Smash?

• Total voters

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
So I want to ask the thread three questions.
  1. What do you guys think of Puyo Puyo Tetris 2? Is it goated? Great? Decent? Bad? Trash? Does it depend on what angle you're coming at?
  2. What do you guys hope comes of PPT2 in the future, regardless of whether or not you thought the experience was good? Do you want to see anyone/anything in particular?
  3. How likely do you think Arle is? I'm not asking for an RTC style thing, just do you feel like her time to shine is coming up, or are we in it for the long haul?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Merry Christmas folks!

1608849817971.png

How likely do you think Arle is? I'm not asking for an RTC style thing, just do you feel like her time to shine is coming up, or are we in it for the long haul?
At this point, I dunno. We're closing in on the end of the pass, and I do think Sega would be one of the more likely third parties to get another character. And I still stand by Arle being the clear next step, even with characters like Tails or Eggman in the equation now. Puyo Puyo is still huge in Japan, it's getting bigger and bigger over here and Puyo 2 is keeping it fresh in people's minds.

Arle is notably a bit smaller than some of the big names circulating around, at least here in the west, but I still believe she has a decent shot at being the Terry of this pass. But I recognize that space is limited and Arle may not be the most obvious or profitable choice for Nintendo at the moment. Hoping for the best, prepared for the worst. At the very least it'd be nice to have some Puyo content in the game - I'd honestly be happy to see a few Puyo Tetris spirits if nothing else. I still have some hope.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
This is suspicious... this never happened until the Steve reveal, so why are they doing it now for each reveal since then?
I wouldn't read into it too much, I don't think the social media guy knows much about Smash.

The Puyo twitter has been memeing a bit more over the last few months or so, so I imagine its just a change in direction for social media presence and commenting on relevant events. And what more relevant than Smash? Just seems like them playing around.

amageish

Smash Master

This is suspicious... this never happened until the Steve reveal, so why are they doing it now for each reveal since then?
There are also nothing Puyo related added in this game, even during certain times.
Oh, and didn't the Puyo developer retweeted the January presentation tweet?
There's no way in hell that Nintendo would let them tease a Smash announcement, to be blunt...

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
  1. What do you guys think of Puyo Puyo Tetris 2? Is it goated? Great? Decent? Bad? Trash? Does it depend on what angle you're coming at?
  2. What do you guys hope comes of PPT2 in the future, regardless of whether or not you thought the experience was good? Do you want to see anyone/anything in particular?
  3. How likely do you think Arle is? I'm not asking for an RTC style thing, just do you feel like her time to shine is coming up, or are we in it for the long haul?
How people see PPT2 is pretty straightforward; since the only major gameplay addition is the Skill Battle mode, it can be a hard sell if you already own the first one and don't enjoy the new mode much or care for story, but on the flipside if you haven't played the first then the second is almost objectively superior. Myself, I am eager to see what kind of parties I can construct and use in multiplayer; every character has their own skills, passive attributes and stats that can lead to high offense teams focused on winning quickly, defensive teams that mitigate and recover from damage, or just generally maintain control of your field.

Having cleared two chapters of the story so far, it's certainly written in a way to accomodate first-time players, with characters getting re-introduced to each other (I guess separating the worlds has the side effect of memory wipes), though allusions to the first exist. There also appears to be a concerted effort to give depth to characters that were previously only really defined by their vices; Ess is generally less abrasive than before (she needs to be provoked more to trigger her brattiness), whereas for twin pranksters Jay and Elle, it turns out they have a special ability where holding each other's hands gives them super senses to help the team evade danger. And there's an actual villain this time called Marle, who is giving me some Rafisol vibes.

Last edited:

metalhydra273

Smash Apprentice
How people see PPT2 is pretty straightforward; since the only major gameplay addition is the Skill Battle mode, it can be a hard sell if you already own the first one and don't enjoy the new mode much or care for story, but on the flipside if you haven't played the first then the second is almost objectively superior. Myself, I am eager to see what kind of parties I can construct and use in multiplayer; every character has their own skills, passive attributes and stats that can lead to high offense teams focused on winning quickly, defensive teams that mitigate and recover from damage, or just generally maintain control of your field.
From what I've heard the game was a massive disappointment. Aesthetics and story are great, but gameplay took a severe hit apparently and the game is already dead because of it, only 2 weeks after launch. More seasoned players are livid and hoping that this wasn't the 30th anniversary game because it seems the ship sunk as soon as it hit the water and there's no saving it. This is mainly just from what I've gathered, I'm a first time player so this game kinda caters to me and is fine for casual players who only care for story mode, but both tetris and puyo players alike have already abandoned it and returned to previous games. Damn shame, especially if Arle gets in now and this is the game they end up promoting.

P.S. for those who have the switch version for the life of me I can't find the way to redeem my battle booster pack code, does anyone happen to know how?

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
The biggest problems are mostly Switch version issues (as far as I know), and you are underselling just how big of a deal the story/characters is to the lore half of the fandom (which is quite big), but yeah this game really wasn't made with the hardcore fandom in mind and, to an extent, it shows.

The competitive scene for the game doesn't seem to be as dead as you make it out to be, there's still plenty of people playing, but it is not in a healthy state and the game seems to be relying on those big five updates promised in the roadmap. As seen with No Man's Sky, even DOA games can come back, but I have a feeling that's an uphill battle.

Twitter/Discord opinions of the game are more positive, though, have yet to see anybody consider the game near trash or wish that 30th isn't Tetris 2's FreeLC. Reddit opinions might lean negative, and where you go and what circles you're in may color your perspective.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
It's not alone in that regard, Puyo Puyo~n (Or Yo~n/PP4) has literally the exact same contrast between people who love the graphics, story and characters and people who dislike to despise the gameplay. Coincidentially, both games have a mode with special moves as the main draw, and the worst version of both is on a Nintendo console... now if only both games shared a certain somebody in common.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
To me the biggest disappointment about PPT2 was the music. For a game that reused a lot of assets from its predecessor, they sure managed to cut some of the best tracks and make less memorable remixes of others. Is Fun Puyo Puyo Hell even in the game? I haven't found it yet.

metalhydra273

Smash Apprentice
It's not alone in that regard, Puyo Puyo~n (Or Yo~n/PP4) has literally the exact same contrast between people who love the graphics, story and characters and people who dislike to despise the gameplay. Coincidentially, both games have a mode with special moves as the main draw, and the worst version of both is on a Nintendo console... now if only both games shared a certain somebody in common.
idk bringing doppel back is kinda hard. She reminds me of akuma in that she'd be great for crossovers, but unlike him it's hard to work her into the type of stories modern puyo has. Not really a villain they can bring back too often. Non disk dlc maybe? Shame puyo doesn't have many crossover opportunities outside of quest. I'd love to at least see another sega all stars type game (considering it's been over 8 years now)

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
The biggest problems are mostly Switch version issues (as far as I know), and you are underselling just how big of a deal the story/characters is to the lore half of the fandom (which is quite big), but yeah this game really wasn't made with the hardcore fandom in mind and, to an extent, it shows.

The competitive scene for the game doesn't seem to be as dead as you make it out to be, there's still plenty of people playing, but it is not in a healthy state and the game seems to be relying on those big five updates promised in the roadmap. As seen with No Man's Sky, even DOA games can come back, but I have a feeling that's an uphill battle.

Twitter/Discord opinions of the game are more positive, though, have yet to see anybody consider the game near trash or wish that 30th isn't Tetris 2's FreeLC. Reddit opinions might lean negative, and where you go and what circles you're in may color your perspective.
The game has also averaged 80 on Metacritic. Whatever problems there are, they don't seem to bother anyone but the hardcore. And, well, there are other options for that market, like Champions or Tetris 99.

Edit: Incidentally, would a Puyo Battle Royale mode like Tetris 99 be feasible?

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
There's been some datamining of PPT2 which suggests a major character from another IP will be showing up in the game at some point:

Given the history it makes sense.
Yikes at this being leaked, but it's no surprise to me given the pre-order bonus already going in that direction.

Regarding the rest...

I'm fine with them, though a bit surprised they aren't including the Quest characters who made their mainline debut in eSports/Champions characters in droves. Like, I'd rather a lot of these characters over the Champions ones, but also it feels like it'd be easy to have more overlap with Champions and a bunch of new people...

Lidelle finally obtaining playable status after being a NPC in PPT is great to see... Harpy is an cool enough choice for a bit of a throwback character, even if she was also in Chronicle (a motif with a lot of these characters). Rafisol is a bit "QUICK, EVERYONE ACT SURPRISED" to me, but also is a welcome addition. Legamunt is a cool Quest choice?

I'd have liked to have Kirby if we have Sonic, but I'm not surprised that one isn't happening. Maybe if they continue the DLC...

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I got the first Puyo Puyo Tetris on Steam a few years back but never got around to finishing it (I think I did 1/3 of the story). I don't use Steam much anymore and mostly play Switch now.

Should I get the first PPT on Switch and finish it or just go straight to PPT2?

amageish

Smash Master
I got the first Puyo Puyo Tetris on Steam a few years back but never got around to finishing it (I think I did 1/3 of the story). I don't use Steam much anymore and mostly play Switch now.

Should I get the first PPT on Switch and finish it or just go straight to PPT2?
PPT2 is basically just PPT with more content and it reintroduces all the characters in its story, so I'd probably just go with that over buying the original twice?

D

Deleted member

Although i haven't played PPT2, I can still find some flaws... First off, the Chain animations are too flashy, they could distract me, Puyo Pop Fever, the First truly Localized Puyo game back in 2004 had much simpler Animations and still plays smoothly. Story, Meh-Okay at best, just too Clichéd.... If i had to choose a Puyo game on my computer, I'm not going to get PPT1 or PPT2, I'll still stick with good old Puyo Pop Fever (Woke: PPF Amitie's awesome quotes like "Watch me Now!", or "Wicked!" or "You Betcha!")

Speaking of PPT2 DLC.... I just want Lidelle, TarTar, and Ms. Accord playable.....

♕Pretty Roger♕

God Roger
NNID
RogelioWii
3DS FC
0602-6365-8680
Switch FC
SW-2762-7992-4597
I finally got PPT2 today (So happy Ally is in)! i never thought we would get a sequel but i am glad to see the Tetra crew back, also i am super happy about the Arle Nendoroid coming in the future!!! It will be my first Nendoroid and i can’t wait to preorder it
90AB5E54-0022-4553-87F2-33E87654C918.jpeg

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
New to the thread.
I'm more of a silent Arle supporter. I really like her design, and PP is among my favorite puzzle games.

Question for a casual, though.

How do I not suck at PP?
I can't seem to be able to plan ahead too much to make chains. It's kind of embarrassing but if I can pull off a 3-chain, that would be the best I've ever done.

(I only play Puyo Puyo 2 for now since I'm getting into the series).

Last edited:

metalhydra273

Smash Apprentice
How do I not suck at PP?
I can't seem to be able to plan ahead too much to make chains. It's kind of embarrassing but if I can pull off a 3-chain, that would be the best I've ever done.

(I only play Puyo Puyo 2 for now since I'm getting into the series).
You could try looking up some guides for technique ideas, but i think practice makes perfect. I'm new to it too and usually i can only get 3 chains and the rare 4 maybe. Puyo is a hard game

Last edited:

Giga Man

Smash Journeyman
To me the biggest disappointment about PPT2 was the music. For a game that reused a lot of assets from its predecessor, they sure managed to cut some of the best tracks and make less memorable remixes of others. Is Fun Puyo Puyo Hell even in the game? I haven't found it yet.
I can't even hear the music. The audio balance is awful with the bgm sounding way quieter than the voices and sfx, and you can't adjust the volume in-game either. Why are games still being shipped without volume sliders?

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Does Tetris 2's story make anyone think of World of Light for some reason? They both involve two opposing deities bringing worlds together in a conflict.
It's funny, I've been getting something of a Rival Schools/Project Justice vibe from PPT2, what with all the brainwashing and other aspects.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
It's funny, I've been getting something of a Rival Schools/Project Justice vibe from PPT2, what with all the brainwashing and other aspects.
There's one moment that calls back to Rulue and Raffina's encounter in 20th, a battle that basically ends in a way described by the following snapshot, shocking everyone present (mainly Arle and Amitie) who know the two the most:

amageish

Smash Master
I know it has been a few weeks, but I think I've now played enough of PPT2 to respond to this.

1. It's fine! It is definitely made to be a launch game for the next-gen consoles and definitely would have more appeal were I a Xbox/PS5 user looking for a way to experience two great puzzle games on my new system... but it's still fine on my Switch. I like the auto-adjusting difficulty; that keeps things fun. Story mode is pretty great and reminds me how comedy-driven games should be, like, more of a thing in the industry in general. There's a lot of cute character moments and they definitely made the Tetris OCs more interesting... even if the approach to making them more interesting really just amounts to making them far gimmickier then they were last game. The game also kind of overuses the gag of "Character makes a noise which the textbox describes in a comedically specific way," but that gag can also be quite funny. I really do like the villains in general too - very cute designs and very funny. I hope they get wrapped into the larger canon and don't vanish after this game... The writing generally reminds me of a lecture/panel about game writing by a Dream Daddy writer about the goal of making games that can be screenshotted, shared, and memed - which the Puyo Puyo English twitter account has already been doing with screenshots, so I think it is safe to say that was an intention here.

As I imagine their goal is to have us share screenshots, here's a good Ringo quote

EqyfeY7U0AI1BUz.jpeg

2. Lidelle deserves to be playable. The poor girl gets a cameo in both PPT and PPT2; I honestly do not understand why she isn't playable in the second one. The datamine finding lines for her implying when she is going to be playable just makes me more confused, as I feel like they should have just made her base-game at this point, given how awkwardly the dialogue in the story works to sideline her. The stage she is in very "HEY GUYS, LIDELLE IS HERE, AND NOW SHE ISN'T COMING WITH US WHEN LITERALLY EVERYONE ELSE DOES." I'd also like Skeleton T because he's cute and funny. Otherwise... I'd like some more cosmetic options beyond characters - some more skins, backgrounds, and music would all be nice to have. I particularly like the retro-y throwback-y ones. I wouldn't mind some crossover ones, but I'd want them to be less... obvious then the Sonic ones are? As the Sonic skins using Sonic characters heads as Puyo/Tetris pieces feels a bit weird/HEY-IT'S-SONIC-y for my taste, even if them dropping rings when popping is a nice touch. I'd rather any future crossover stuff, if it happens, be more like Tetris 99: give us themed music/background options and the actual blocks just being designed to suit the background nicely? Like, if we got Persona ones, then I'd want them to be Puyo blobs in the Persona aesthetic, not Jack Frost heads...

3. I mean, she may happen. Arle's kind of an evergreen character; I don't think there's a bad time to be like "Oh, yeah, Puyo Puyo exists." I wouldn't be surprised if Sega really would like her in Smash, given how they have been working to make the brand known in the west, but unless Sega has an army of hypnotists prepared to ensure Nintendo's character selection fits their promotional desires... it's really just a matter of corporate synergy and Sakurai's love of gaming history.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I know it has been a few weeks, but I think I've now played enough of PPT2 to respond to this.

1. It's fine! It is definitely made to be a launch game for the next-gen consoles and definitely would have more appeal were I a Xbox/PS5 user looking for a way to experience two great puzzle games on my new system... but it's still fine on my Switch. I like the auto-adjusting difficulty; that keeps things fun. Story mode is pretty great and reminds me how comedy-driven games should be, like, more of a thing in the industry in general. There's a lot of cute character moments and they definitely made the Tetris OCs more interesting... even if the approach to making them more interesting really just amounts to making them far gimmickier then they were last game. The game also kind of overuses the gag of "Character makes a noise which the textbox describes in a comedically specific way," but that gag can also be quite funny. I really do like the villains in general too - very cute designs and very funny. I hope they get wrapped into the larger canon and don't vanish after this game... The writing generally reminds me of a lecture/panel about game writing by a Dream Daddy writer about the goal of making games that can be screenshotted, shared, and memed - which the Puyo Puyo English twitter account has already been doing with screenshots, so I think it is safe to say that was an intention here.

As I imagine their goal is to have us share screenshots, here's a good Ringo quote

2. Lidelle deserves to be playable. The poor girl gets a cameo in both PPT and PPT2; I honestly do not understand why she isn't playable in the second one. The datamine finding lines for her implying when she is going to be playable just makes me more confused, as I feel like they should have just made her base-game at this point, given how awkwardly the dialogue in the story works to sideline her. The stage she is in very "HEY GUYS, LIDELLE IS HERE, AND NOW SHE ISN'T COMING WITH US WHEN LITERALLY EVERYONE ELSE DOES." I'd also like Skeleton T because he's cute and funny. Otherwise... I'd like some more cosmetic options beyond characters - some more skins, backgrounds, and music would all be nice to have. I particularly like the retro-y throwback-y ones. I wouldn't mind some crossover ones, but I'd want them to be less... obvious then the Sonic ones are? As the Sonic skins using Sonic characters heads as Puyo/Tetris pieces feels a bit weird/HEY-IT'S-SONIC-y for my taste, even if them dropping rings when popping is a nice touch. I'd rather any future crossover stuff, if it happens, be more like Tetris 99: give us themed music/background options and the actual blocks just being designed to suit the background nicely? Like, if we got Persona ones, then I'd want them to be Puyo blobs in the Persona aesthetic, not Jack Frost heads...

3. I mean, she may happen. Arle's kind of an evergreen character; I don't think there's a bad time to be like "Oh, yeah, Puyo Puyo exists." I wouldn't be surprised if Sega really would like her in Smash, given how they have been working to make the brand known in the west, but unless Sega has an army of hypnotists prepared to ensure Nintendo's character selection fits their promotional desires... it's really just a matter of corporate synergy and Sakurai's love of gaming history.
Squares could be a little awkward to implement in pure Puyo Puyo titles given that he is somewhat more associated with Tetris here, though it's not as rigid as the first game with Ex. Some earlier discussion here makes me wonder if the two of them were written to be allegories of the "Casual vs. Competitive" conflict, Marle and her fun being the casual with Squares and his order being the competitive, their dark turns showing the dangers of excess on both sides (Dark Marle trying to force her ideas of fun on people who don't enjoy it or tire of it, Squares trying to eliminate everything that threatens what he sees as the true, pure way things should run).

I had to turn auto-difficulty off because there's a rather big blind spot in it's calculation; it doesn't factor in resets while pausing in a match, which almost anyone will do to save time when star-hunting or otherwise. But the game sees this as you never actually losing even once, so the AI can easily become godlike around halfway through the game.

KillerCage

Smash Master
Squares could be a little awkward to implement in pure Puyo Puyo titles given that he is somewhat more associated with Tetris here, though it's not as rigid as the first game with Ex. Some earlier discussion here makes me wonder if the two of them were written to be allegories of the "Casual vs. Competitive" conflict, Marle and her fun being the casual with Squares and his order being the competitive, their dark turns showing the dangers of excess on both sides (Dark Marle trying to force her ideas of fun on people who don't enjoy it or tire of it, Squares trying to eliminate everything that threatens what he sees as the true, pure way things should run).

I had to turn auto-difficulty off because there's a rather big blind spot in it's calculation; it doesn't factor in resets while pausing in a match, which almost anyone will do to save time when star-hunting or otherwise. But the game sees this as you never actually losing even once, so the AI can easily become godlike around halfway through the game.
Yeah I had to turn off the auto-difficulty off as well.

amageish

Smash Master

That is true, though I think they could easily enough become semi-regular trans-dimensional frenemies... I mean, Puyo Puyo really likes their frenemies and uneasy alliances anyway... Also, I definitely do think that that is the thematic intention with them!

That... uh... wow. I somehow haven't had that happen yet, but I haven't been doing star-hunting at all either and have just been going through main story levels (generally ignoring the side-story stuff)... so... um... well... Good to know. I will be turning that off at some point....

Also, I had a dream last night where Lilina from Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade was DLC for PPT2. It was weird.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
That is true, though I think they could easily enough become semi-regular trans-dimensional frenemies... I mean, Puyo Puyo really likes their frenemies and uneasy alliances anyway... Also, I definitely do think that that is the thematic intention with them!

That... uh... wow. I somehow haven't had that happen yet, but I haven't been doing star-hunting at all either and have just been going through main story levels (generally ignoring the side-story stuff)... so... um... well... Good to know. I will be turning that off at some point....

Also, I had a dream last night where Lilina from Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade was DLC for PPT2. It was weird.
For sure, heck the Ally (whom I've learned is pronounced Al-Lee, for some reason) sub-plot in Grimp shows that Marle looks over more dimensions than just the main Puyo Puyo and Tetris ones, though I wouldn't really call the two watchers "frenemies" when they end with pretty much zero lingering resentment. But I guess it could happen if these embodiments of "The Will of the Worlds" choose to follow a "works in mysterious ways" approach.

It's always fun to imagine. Did your dream involve attack names for chains?

amageish

Smash Master
For sure, heck the Ally (whom I've learned is pronounced Al-Lee, for some reason) sub-plot in Grimp shows that Marle looks over more dimensions than just the main Puyo Puyo and Tetris ones, though I wouldn't really call the two watchers "frenemies" when they end with pretty much zero lingering resentment. But I guess it could happen if these embodiments of "The Will of the Worlds" choose to follow a "works in mysterious ways" approach.

It's always fun to imagine. Did your dream involve attack names for chains?
Yes, they certainly do cover their bases in terms of dimension-watching. "Frenemies" is probably not a great term, true, but I more just meant them joining the conga line of "We fought each other in our game, now we work together all the time" characters... Puyo Puyo does that a lot.

If it did, I certainly didn't remember them when waking up... I just remember seeing the announcement and a very cute image of her. I assume she'd use fire magic, but it's not like there is a shortage of that in Puyo Puyo already.

metalhydra273

Smash Apprentice
well if we're gonna talk about cool 3rd parties for puyo puyo i'd love to see it come full circle and get street fighter's ryu in one of the games. Both "parent" games, tetris and street fighter, have been affected by puyo somehow so seeing them both crossover (whether in ppt2 or the possible 30th ani game) would be really cool imo, not that it'd likely happen.

Top Bottom