• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Arle Nadja, Puyo Popper Extraordinaire pops into Smash Bros.! (New Management!)

Which Puyo protagonist would you prefer for Smash?

• Total voters

amageish

Smash Master
Wishing you guys the best that your favorite tomboy doesn't get deconfirmed tonight through a Spirit Event.
It's a Tournament Week, so we (and everyone) should be safe from deconfirmations.... but also they've randomly broken the alternating spirit/tournament pattern before, so I suppose we should take whatever luck we can get.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Wishing you guys the best that your favorite tomboy doesn't get deconfirmed tonight through a Spirit Event.
Spirits don't deconfirm. Min-Min is both a spirit and a playable character. If Arle doesn't make it in as DLC, let's wish for her to never be an assist trophy ever.

Last edited:

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
Did any of y'all get the chance to pick up PPT2 yet? I 100%ed the adventure mode and I really like this game so far. Very excited for all the DLC to arrive and for my finals to end so I have time to play online.

amageish

Smash Master
I'm not too confidant in any particular character for a Smash reveal tonight, but I definitely could see them announcing the first Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 free update. A lot of western eyes on the event could make it a good chance for a "HEY, REMEMBER MEAN BEAN MACHINE? THIS IS WHAT THAT ACTUALLY IS EVERYONE" moment...

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Ooof, but with Microsoft and Square getting another character, I think our chances of getting another SEGA character looks good.

amageish

Smash Master
https://twitter.com/PuyoOfficial/status/1337188740813344768?s=20
At this point they're either trolling us because they know something or trolling us because they're fans too and it kinda irks me lol
I highly highly highly doubt the English Twitter account manager would know and, moreover, I am like 99.9% certain Nintendo wouldn't let them hint if they knew she was in - especially twice.

That said, I also still think it's very cringey whenever a brand account is being salty about their brand not getting into Smash Bros... Like, I'm sure it's a fan running the account and these tweets get good interaction, but still. Not a fan of the practice out of principle...

metalhydra273

Smash Apprentice
That said, I also still think it's very cringey whenever a brand account is being salty about their brand not getting into Smash Bros... Like, I'm sure it's a fan running the account and these tweets get good interaction, but still. Not a fan of the practice out of principle...
Eh I think it's all in good fun. From what I've seen from them they seem to be very ****posty/cocky but in a well-mannered fun way and they also like to highlight community stuff. Trying to replicate Sonic twitter maybe? Though they act like this when Puyo is still very niche, even with all the momentum and needing to get carried by Tetris for it's western success, I think that's part of the humor of it.

amageish

Smash Master
Eh I think it's all in good fun. From what I've seen from them they seem to be very ****posty/cocky but in a well-mannered fun way and they also like to highlight community stuff. Trying to replicate Sonic twitter maybe? Though they act like this when Puyo is still very niche, even with all the momentum and needing to get carried by Tetris for it's western success, I think that's part of the humor of it.
I do get that and I like the casual feeling of it. It's funny to see the Sonic Twitter approach being taken by a nicher SEGA IP for sure.

I just find it generally weird when brand accounts are directly interacting with Smash demand - even if it's in-character for the account, so to speak...

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Sephiroth doesn't directly challenge Arle's chances, but he does open the scary possibility that the next Sega rep could be another Sonic character. Now we have to fight off the possibility that they ask for Tails or Eggman instead of Arle, and that's a heck of a lot more difficult to argue for.

With luck, Arle gets requested based on the merits and popularity of her franchise, similar to Terry. But Terry's still got a lot more solid history in comparison, so it's not as certain when Arle's only really got Puyo Puyo on her side. Man.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Sephiroth doesn't directly challenge Arle's chances, but he does open the scary possibility that the next Sega rep could be another Sonic character. Now we have to fight off the possibility that they ask for Tails or Eggman instead of Arle, and that's a heck of a lot more difficult to argue for.
Can't we just have Tails and Arle be in the same roster.

metalhydra273

Smash Apprentice
I don't think it's indicative of someone like Eggman being more likely, he'll get more speculation though for sure. If anything Sephiroth hurt for the same reason Byleth did, timing. Maybe we shouldn't give that as much merit as we do when considering who gets revealed next. I still feel like Arle has a good shot with all these surprise picks because at the time of choosing she definitely wasn't as high on everyone's radar. Just seems like the kind of pick Nintendo would make, seeing how we've been thrown curveballs throughout the DLC like Joker and Terry. That is just a hunch though.

Takasmash

Smash Ace
I was having fun with Puyo Tetris 2 until Sephiroth Reveal. I'm and training myself with Cloud in Smash until Thursday and replaying FF7 OG at the same day.
Nintendo sure know how to break the internet. I also hope that Arle is one the last three characters.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
2 new translations

The Pokemon like spin off game

and the PCECD version of Madou 1

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I feel like all that matters is when the next SEGA newcomer, if we do get one, is coming.

As long as it isn't at E3 by themselves, I feel like it would be Arle. However if it is a solo E3 2021 reveal, and it's a SEGA character there's no way it's not Eggman IMO.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
While I don't deny the possibility of Eggman being the potential SEGA character, I still think Arle's chances are potentially good. The fact that there's been no Puyo Puyo Spirit event after all this time is quite telling, as there's been tons of opportunities for a timed event.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
There's one more really good opportunity, though. February 2021 has Puyo Day on February 4th, and the week after or week of would be the perfect time.

After that, though, I'd say we're in the clear on Spirit Events.

amageish

Smash Master
I wouldn't read to much into not having a spirit event, honestly. Like, it's a "good sign" but it is also a good sign that most franchises and new releases have.

We also haven't had any new spirits since August and it's been pretty random when we do get them - Daemon X Machina got one and that's a third-party game since ported to PC, Astral Chain got them months after the game had been released, Warframe randomly got a singular spirit as part of a larger event, etc...

Top Bottom