• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Arle Nadja, Puyo Popper Extraordinaire pops into Smash Bros.! (New Management!)

Which Puyo protagonist would you prefer for Smash?

• Total voters

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
Anyone else really wanna see a doppel echo? The situation reminds me of Ryu where thre's 2 potential echo choices if they have Arle and echo. Would be cool if they went the evil route this time. But that assumes we're getting echoes lol.
If we were to get an echo it would almost certainly be Amitie I think. Amitie is a far more popular, distinct and relevant character than Doppel after all. Although I understand wanting Doppel she’s cool.

Last edited:

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I do think Doppel could happen, but she'd very likely be an alternate character costume for Arle, think Alex to Steve. I can't see an Echo since not only is Doppel not common enough, but also looks very similar, so she'd be easy to mix up with her original.

metalhydra273

Smash Apprentice
I do think Doppel could happen, but she'd very likely be an alternate character costume for Arle, think Alex to Steve. I can't see an Echo since not only is Doppel not common enough, but also looks very similar, so she'd be easy to mix up with her original.
Sorry for super late reply since I guess I skimmed over this. Dark Pit exists and they can definitely make use of those tendril like cloths her new design uses to make her stand out, aside from using more dark oriented spells rather than elemental, like melee ganondorf. Would it happen? Probably not, but if it did they could definitely make her stand out.

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
Question:
despite the crowd chants of Min Min and Steve being unlocalized, could they still get Arle's English voice actress if she gets in?
If not, why not donate to Sakurai and co. just in case? Donation could help improve things during the COVID.

metalhydra273

Smash Apprentice
Question:
despite the crowd chants of Min Min and Steve being unlocalized, could they still get Arle's English voice actress if she gets in?
If not, why not donate to Sakurai and co. just in case? Donation could help improve things during the COVID.
I don't see why they wouldn't be able to, am I missing some kind of context here?

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
Arle might be next for many reasons:
1. 2 out of the last 3 DLC fighters wield swords. Sakurai and co. might be wanting to take a break from that.
2. Same thing goes to brawlers; 2 out of the last 4 DLC fighters are punchers.
3. There hasn't been a major magic user since Hero.
4. There have yet to be a puzzle rep since Dr. Mario.
5. Min Min and Steve I think have been more supported in the West than in the East (despite Arms being made in Japan) so now it should be the East's turn. Puyo Puyo is supposed to be more apparently requested in Japan than in America and Europe.
6. Even after Min Min, there aren't enough female-exclusive fighters.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
https://www.globalsmashroster.com/ (is a popular new voting site that allows you to pick your favorites), or if you want Arle in particular https://www.globalsmashroster.com/fighter/Arle Nadja

Dunno how many of you guys are aware of this, but hey. Let's give Arle a bit of a boost.
I've seen this linked in a few threads and this is my first time actually going there... and, wow, that is a heavy Valve bias in the top results haha.

Go team Arle though! Glad she has some presence at least, even if she's almost tied with the Google Chrome T-Rex. 😅

Louie G.

Smash Hero
To be honest, I'd be pretty happy to see Puyo get some well-deserved content in pretty much any capacity - be it spirits, costumes or of course a playable Arle. I think Puyo is quite likely for a spirit event and I'd be happy just to see the likes of Arle and whoever else they would choose (lots of options) in the game. Of course I'd be a little bummed at first though.

With such limited space left, I recognize the chances for Arle are slim but I'm hoping that things pan out. Holding onto some faith! She's pretty much my MW within the realm of possibility right now and as much as I've been loving the characters so far, it's been a while since I had a new character who I had a real strong personal attachment to (pretty much since Little Mac in Smash 4, not counting the return of Lucas)... so I really want to experience something like that again.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Does anyone have the article where Arle's creator said they didnt want Arle in fighting games?
Here's the quote itself, I don't have a link to the article.

---

For my own personal take on this that nobody asked for, since I think about this often - I feel like people have misconstrued this to mean Arle isn't possible for Smash Bros, when it reality it's referring explicitly to Puyo's own games.

Off the bat, anyone who plays Puyo already knows how weird this statement is. Characters like Draco and Rulue are explicitly shown punching, and the other characters are effectively attacking one another with a variety of spells and whatnot. But regardless, let's say that this statement was consistent and Puyo was this nonviolent world. Envisioning a world where Arle did not decapitate Schezo.

The "Puyo World" is a lighthearted place. There's a certain brand that they want to maintain for the core series games, and considering a fighting game was shot down it seems that they don't want to pursue any projects that pit these characters against one another in such a fashion... under the Puyo Puyo name. Like, recontextualize this and consider how Animal Crossing devs would feel about their characters beating one another up, or about an Animal Crossing fighting game being developed and marketed alongside the peaceful and friendly vibes that the series is known for. As awesome as this would be, it's quite obvious why that wouldn't work out.

But in Smash, this doesn't matter. Villager and Isabelle fighting Solid Snake and Bayonetta is perfectly okay - so would it be okay for Arle? Well first off, something to keep in mind about Villager / Isabelle is how the spirit of Animal Crossing is still maintained in their movesets. A lot of their attacks aren't really attacks so much as they are accidents or simply going about their happy lives - catching bugs, collecting items, chopping down trees, going fishing... Bottom line, there's no harm in Arle being in Smash if the spirit of Puyo is maintained through Arle and the rest of the series representation. It wouldn't be very difficult to create a moveset revolving around the use of Puyo and Arle clumsily attacking her opponents, without being explicitly violent.

Also, to put it bluntly: it's f**king Smash Bros. You'd have to be a real stick in the mud to turn down the opportunity to be in the biggest gaming crossover of all time, especially a series like Puyo that has been shooting for a bigger western audience for a long time now. I think with Sakurai at the helm, someone who has proven time and time again to represent characters in as faithful and loving a way as possible, the positives would simply outweigh the concern of Arle getting smacked around. After all, it's not like Smash and Puyo don't share a similar cartoony, slapstick spirit to them in the first place. Sakurai has made crazier things happen.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
To be honest, I'd be pretty happy to see Puyo get some well-deserved content in pretty much any capacity - be it spirits, costumes or of course a playable Arle. I think Puyo is quite likely for a spirit event and I'd be happy just to see the likes of Arle and whoever else they would choose (lots of options) in the game. Of course I'd be a little bummed at first though.

With such limited space left, I recognize the chances for Arle are slim but I'm hoping that things pan out. Holding onto some faith! She's pretty much my MW within the realm of possibility right now and as much as I've been loving the characters so far, it's been a while since I had a new character who I had a real strong personal attachment to (pretty much since Little Mac in Smash 4, not counting the return of Lucas)... so I really want to experience something like that again.
I agree, honestly. At this point, my hopes are my most-wanted franchises to get in the game in some form, even if they don't get playable spots... Arle's odds seem half-decent, but with four slots left half-decent may not help all that much....

Does anyone have the article where Arle's creator said they didnt want Arle in fighting games?
It should probably be clarified that they didn't say they didn't want Arle in fighting games, but a Puyo Puyo fighting game, which is different IMO...

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
It should be noted that this guy IS NOT THE CREATOR. (Assuming you're talking about Hosoyamada-san.)

He is the current director. The creator of the series, and franchise is somebody else who doesn't own it anymore. That'd be Kazunari Yonemitsu, to the best of my knowledge.

That being said, I am not sure if it was the man himself, his higher-ups, or somebody else who did not want the cast of Puyo to get violent. All that we know is that a fighting game did not happen.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
It should be noted that this guy IS NOT THE CREATOR. (Assuming you're talking about Hosoyamada-san.)

He is the current director. The creator of the series, and franchise is somebody else who doesn't own it anymore. That'd be Kazunari Yonemitsu, to the best of my knowledge.

That being said, I am not sure if it was the man himself, his higher-ups, or somebody else who did not want the cast of Puyo to get violent. All that we know is that a fighting game did not happen.
I thought Moo Niitani was the creator

shammah121

Smash Cadet
Hey, y'all it's been a while! My support for Arle is still strong! PapaGenos recently released a video focusing on "Voice Theory". For context, I think you should totally watch it!
Here's the link to the video!
I still have hope for my girl Arle! I think she fits "VOICE THEORY" because there are two routes they can take-----
ROUTE 1) the likely route is to have Arle as the main skin but with an Amitie alt (or vice versa)!

ROUTE 2) The less likely route is to give Arle another alt of herself to reference the "Compile era". I know Sakurai has been playing games for a while and likes to reference video game history when he adds characters so I can see this happening! That way, he can represent SEGA and lowkey Compile too! This would also be something he can talk about with his Sakurai presents video (but I can see him doing this even if we get Amitie instead)

Plus it should be noted in some Puyo Puyo games character have unlockable alternate voices, so it's not like such a concept hasn't be associated with the series.

Just some food for thought!

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Hey Arle people! Hey Arle people! Hey Arle people! Won't you listen to meee~!

New trailer!

POST LAUNCH CONTENT!! I mean sure every game since PPT has had it but this is the first case of western DLC!

ALLY CONFIRMED!!!!!

Man 2020 has really been the year Puyo hits it big, huh?

Nesysli

Smash Apprentice
I've been playing an English patched version of Mado Monogatari for the Mega Drive recently and it's really fun! I also think Arle would make such a fun character for Smash. Puyo Puyo was always pretty fun to me so seeing her with a move-set based around Puyos & magic would be pretty sick. Plus she is pretty unique, no one else in Smash roster really looks like her, she'll probably play completely different than anyone else & she has a long legacy. So hopefully she'll get in & not get spirit evented or Mii-costumed.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
It'd be too freaking perfect if literally the last month of the year it happened.

I've been playing an English patched version of Mado Monogatari for the Mega Drive recently and it's really fun! I also think Arle would make such a fun character for Smash. Puyo Puyo was always pretty fun to me so seeing her with a move-set based around Puyos & magic would be pretty sick. Plus she is pretty unique, no one else in Smash roster really looks like her, she'll probably play completely different than anyone else & she has a long legacy. So hopefully she'll get in & not get spirit evented or Mii-costumed.
On that latter note, I wouldn't worry about Arle specifically, since she doesn't fit into any of the Mii types. That being said, a Puyo hat like Amitie's would be perfect standalone headgear, but that'd probably happen even if we got Arle or not.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
If we get Arle, in addition to the Puyo Hat, the most obvious Mii Costume picks would be Rulue and Schezo.
You're right, but personally I think I'd prefer Draco to Rulue. I feel like it would be a more interesting costume too.
Both would be great, I'd just personally really like to see the Puyo Sun trio represented - also I just like Draco a lot.

As for the Puyo hat, would be pretty cool if it could swap between all the Puyo colors depending on the color of your Mii. They can do that, right?

Last edited:

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
If we get Arle, in addition to the Puyo Hat, the most obvious Mii Costume picks would be Rulue and Schezo.
I'd love to see Witch as a costume, personally. Schezo would be fun too.

As for the Puyo hat, would be pretty cool if it could swap between all the Puyo colors depending on the color of your Mii. They can do that, right?
Yeah, Bomberman does it, doesn't matter if you have only the hat or the suit, or both on. They get color swaps.

Nesysli

Smash Apprentice
If Arle was in would ya'll prefer the older design from the 90's or the more recent one? I think I like the older design a bit better & since Simon uses his Super Castlevania 4 SNES Boxart look, I could see it happening.

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
If Arle was in would ya'll prefer the older design from the 90's or the more recent one? I think I like the older design a bit better & since Simon uses his Super Castlevania 4 SNES Boxart look, I could see it happening.
Both designs with the recent one being the default.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Other than the art stye there no difference with OG Arle and current one other than a few small things

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I don't think that'd make sense, and the reason is because we've never had a character totally change their art style as part of their costumes.

Changing how the character looks requires much more than even gender alts, as different art styles depict the characters far more differently. Arle's legs are shorter and more stocky in Compile/traditional anime compared to the SEGA artstyle, for instance. I dunno if it'd be worth it.

Besides, all she really needs is a classic color and, if anybody should be an alt, Doppel. But that's just me.

Top Bottom