• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Arle Nadja, Puyo Popper Extraordinaire pops into Smash Bros.! (New Management!)

Which Puyo protagonist would you prefer for Smash?

• Total voters

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
So... for funsies... I decided to try and predict the roster of PPT2! I believe we're getting 36 characters, 24 available in all modes and 12 only available in Skill Battle. There probably won't be that many, but

Confirmed so far (I believe all characters here will be in all modes):
  1. Arle
  2. Carbuncle
  3. Amitie
  4. Ringo
  5. Tee
  6. Ess
  7. O
  8. Risukuma
  9. Maguro
  10. Jay & Elle
  11. Zed
  12. Ai
  13. Ex
  14. Marle
  15. Klug
  16. Lemres
  17. Feli
Remaining all modes:
  1. Rulue (soft confirmed)
  2. Schezo (arguably soft confirmed)
  3. Draco (soft confirmed)
  4. Satan
  5. Suketoudara
  6. Witch
  7. Either Ally or Ecolo
Skill Battle exclusives:
  1. Whichever of Ally or Ecolo isn't in all modes
  2. Harpy
  3. Ocean Prince
  4. Ms. Accord
  5. Lidelle
  6. Onion Pixie
  7. Ragnus
  8. Serilly
  9. Donguri Gaeru
  10. A Compile Character (for example: Skeleton T, Minotauros, Doppel Arle, Zoh Daimaoh, Chico)
  11. A SEGA Character (for example: Tartar, Dapper Bones, Akuma, Rafisol, a character from Quest)
  12. A new character we haven't seen yet.

Most of the characters I'm pretty confident in are the ones that will be playable in all modes, can't see them deviating from this much. I think there will be SB exclusives because the last game to have the mode also had characters exclusive to it. 5, only counting notable characters, but that number was actually way higher at 46 if you also counted the recruitable enemies. I don't think there will be enemies to recruit, and the number of models and animations made for the characters was somewhere around 15 (most of that 46 are recolors), so I don't think 12 exclusives would be too crazy.

I feel sad about it, but I excluded Yu and Rei from my predictions for a pretty obvious reason. Unlike Carby, who if he's not even recast can be voiced easily with archived clips, it'd be next to impossible to pull this off with the ghost twins.

Oh yeah, by the way. Klug is in! But we don't know the extent of his inclusion. I'm guessing all modes myself.

Now as far as speculation for THIS game's roster is concerned... I think Arle, if she's happening, is not #77. #78 and #79 are my best bets for her.

Last edited:

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
So... for funsies... I decided to try and predict the roster of PPT2! I believe we're getting 36 characters, 24 available in all modes and 12 only available in Skill Battle. There probably won't be that many, but

1. Arle
  2. Carbuncle
  3. Amitie
  4. Ringo
  5. Tee
  6. Ess
  7. O
  8. Risukuma
  9. Maguro
  10. Jay & Elle
  11. Zed
  12. Ai
  13. Ex
  14. Marle
  15. Klug
  16. Lemres
  17. Feli
Remaining all modes:
  4. Satan
  5. Suketoudara
  6. Witch
  7. Either Ally or Ecolo
Skill Battle exclusives:
  2. Harpy
  3. Ocean Prince
  4. Ms. Accord
  5. Lidelle
  6. Onion Pixie
  7. Ragnus
  8. Serilly
  9. Donguri Gaeru
  10. A Compile Character (for example: Skeleton T, Minotauros, Doppel Arle, Zoh Daimaoh, Chico)
  11. A SEGA Character (for example: Tartar, Dapper Bones, Akuma, Rafisol, a character from Quest)

Most of the characters I'm pretty confident in are the ones that will be playable in all modes, can't see them deviating from this much. I think there will be SB exclusives because the last game to have the mode also had characters exclusive to it. 5, only counting notable characters, but that number was actually way higher at 46 if you also counted the recruitable enemies. I don't think there will be enemies to recruit, and the number of models and animations made for the characters was somewhere around 15 (most of that 46 are recolors), so I don't think 12 exclusives would be too crazy.

I feel sad about it, but I excluded Yu and Rei from my predictions for a pretty obvious reason. Unlike Carby, who if he's not even recast can be voiced easily with archived clips, it'd be next to impossible to pull this off with the ghost twins.

Oh yeah, by the way. Klug is in! But we don't know the extent of his inclusion. I'm guessing all modes myself.

Now as far as speculation for THIS game's roster is concerned... I think Arle, if she's happening, is not #77. #78 and #79 are my best bets for her.
What about Sig and Raffina?

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Somehow Sig and Raffina got left out. Not that either of them are confirmed yet, but in this case Suketoudara and Witch would have to be punted out (or demoted to Skill Battle exclusives, assuming no more new characters and no other SEGA character it'd fit).

That, or I expand the roster by 2 spots to include them as primary characters.

amageish

Smash Master

1. Arle
  2. Carbuncle
  3. Amitie
  4. Ringo
  5. Tee
  6. Ess
  7. O
  8. Risukuma
  9. Maguro
  10. Jay & Elle
  11. Zed
  12. Ai
  13. Ex
  14. Marle
  15. Klug
  16. Lemres
  17. Feli
Remaining all modes:
  4. Satan
  5. Suketoudara
  6. Witch
  7. Either Ally or Ecolo
Skill Battle exclusives:
  2. Harpy
  3. Ocean Prince
  4. Ms. Accord
  5. Lidelle
  6. Onion Pixie
  7. Ragnus
  8. Serilly
  9. Donguri Gaeru

Great roster set-up! Skill-Battle-exclusive characters does make sense to me, even if it is a little bit underwhelming. I believe Ragnus has already been seen in Skill-Battle mode, so he can join your confirmed there...

Given how much attention Ally has gotten in things like Quest, I imagine she'll join the main roster this time around... Sorry Ecolo, if your roster is right.... I also think Rafisol has decent odds of being in the game in some form too, as foil characters are kind of useful for story modes.

Bringing back an old Compile-era enemy for the skill battle mode would be a nice touch. Here's hoping it's everyone's fave skeleton...

I'm unsure how many Quest-original characters they would use, if any, as on the one hand they lack the nostalgia or brand recognition, but on the other hand they have a lot of assets laying around for some of them between Quest and Champions.... Paprisu strikes me as the most likely choice there, if only because of the huge amount of costumes they've gotten in Quest and their recent addition in Champions. Like, seriously, how many ways can this squirrel dress up?

I'm still kind of expecting further crossover content past the Sonic pre-order bonus, but idk if that'd be base-game or if it'd be characters themselves. I could see them charging for visuals/music packs based on other Sega IPs...

As for Smash itself, I'm unsure if they'd need to wait until after Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 for Arle to be in Smash as I'm unsure if they'd want/be-able-to take content directly from that games, but I agree that she seems more likely for mid-pass anyway.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
So, did everyone hear the news? PPT2 will have 28 characters! Apparently, the confirmed roster is as follows:

1. Arle
2. Amitie
3. Ringo
4. Carbuncle
5. Rulue
6. Schezo
7. Draco
8. Sig
9. Klug
10. Lemres
11. Feli
12. Risukuma
13. Maguro
14. Tee
15. O
16. Ess
17. Jay & Elle
18. Zed
19. Ai
20. Ex
21. Marle

Personally, I do hope the roster doesn't just top out at 28. I mean, didn't Chronicle have 29 (counting Skill Battle-exclusives)? This is why I hope PPT2 contains 28 as the roster that can be used in every mode, and any additional characters can be found in Skill Battle mode. I have to be honest, I was sort of hoping this wouldn't be the case, but I guess I'll take what I can get.

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
So, did everyone hear the news? PPT2 will have 28 characters! Apparently, the confirmed roster is as follows:

1. Arle
2. Amitie
3. Ringo
4. Carbuncle
5. Rulue
6. Schezo
7. Draco
8. Sig
9. Klug
10. Lemres
11. Feli
12. Risukuma
13. Maguro
14. Tee
15. O
16. Ess
17. Jay & Elle
18. Zed
19. Ai
20. Ex
21. Marle

Personally, I do hope the roster doesn't just top out at 28. I mean, didn't Chronicle have 29 (counting Skill Battle-exclusives)? This is why I hope PPT2 contains 28 as the roster that can be used in every mode, and any additional characters can be found in Skill Battle mode. I have to be honest, I was sort of hoping this wouldn't be the case, but I guess I'll take what I can get.
Wait, no Witch? Well that's a shame, she's always my go-to. I suppose I'll do with Arle herself though. Seems well-rounded overall.

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
Wait, no Witch? Well that's a shame, she's always my go-to. I suppose I'll do with Arle herself though. Seems well-rounded overall.
Well Witch could (and probably will be) be one of the remaining 7, I’m expecting the last ones to be Raffina, Witch, Suketoudara, Satan, Ecolo, Ally and either Rafisol, Lidelle, or a new character

amageish

Smash Master
Hopefully there are some Skill-Battle-Exclusive characters in that case, as, yeah 28 isn't a huge expansive roster that strikes me as needing to justify it being a sequel... I mean, obviously the new modes are exciting in of themselves, but wider character variety would have been fun too.

Also hidden Arle costume in Puyo Puyo Champions. The precedent for hiding alternate costumes behind cheat codes is an interesting one to set...

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
Hopefully there are some Skill-Battle-Exclusive characters in that case, as, yeah 28 isn't a huge expansive roster that strikes me as needing to justify it being a sequel... I mean, obviously the new modes are exciting in of themselves, but wider character variety would have been fun too.
I think I read somewhere that characters from PPQ will show up in Skill Battle mode, so it seems like this will be the case.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Yeah, this is kind of why I'm hoping for/expecting... sort of an 'excess' of Skill Battle-exclusive characters. I know it's not ideal or anything, but I'll take what I can get here.

I think I read somewhere that characters from PPQ will show up in Skill Battle mode, so it seems like this will be the case.
Yeah, I heard the same thing. It makes me think/hope that if Skill Battle-exclusive characters do end up happening in this game, we might get a sort of 'surplus' mix of Madou-era characters (i.e. Minotauros, Chico, Panotty, Archan, Nohoho, etc.), Fever-era characters (i.e. Tartar, Onion Pixie, Dongurigaeru, Gogotte, Akuma, Dapper Bones, etc.), and Quest-exclusives (i.e. Alex, Hed, Sultana, etc.) all being exclusive to that mode.

I mean, if they were willing to do that with Chronicle...

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I heard the same thing. It makes me think/hope that if Skill Battle-exclusive characters do end up happening in this game, we might get a sort of 'surplus' mix of Madou-era characters (i.e. Minotauros, Chico, Panotty, Archan, Nohoho, etc.), Fever-era characters (i.e. Tartar, Onion Pixie, Dongurigaeru, Gogotte, Akuma, Dapper Bones, etc.), and Quest-exclusives (i.e. Alex, Hed, Sultana, etc.) all being exclusive to that mode.

I mean, if they were willing to do that with Chronicle...
I'm not really expecting much beyond the Quest characters that show up in Champions but I wouldn't be surprised or upset if I'm wrong. The more the merrier of course.

amageish

Smash Master
That'd make sense. I was wondering they they wouldn't just use PPQ art to justify having a tonne of characters... Or at least the ones already used in Champions...

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

This just got tweeted on Puyo Puyo's official Twitter account.

I'm hoping this is merely just playing around the fact Arle wasn't being in the spotlight of the current reveal... :urg:

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman

I'm hoping this is merely just playing around the fact Arle wasn't being in the spotlight of the current reveal... :urg:
I'd say it's fairly unlikely the ones who run these accounts know the fighters, so yeah, it's most likely just playing around. Either way I get the sentiment.

amageish

Smash Master

Definitely a bit of an oof. I generally don't like gaming brand accounts making jokes about disappoint over not-them getting into Smash...

I doubt the English-language social media person running that account would know if Arle is in or not anyways though.

amageish

Smash Master
If Arle isn't present in the next Mii costume round then she'll definitely have another shot.
I'm unsure what type of Mii Costume she'd be, even if she was one... Give her a staff and make her a swordfighter?

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
Sorry to Travis fans, but nice to see our girl is still on the run.

Also, after seeing Tower of friggin' Druaga get Smash representation, I find it hard to believe Puyo Puyo will get nothing by the time it's all over.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Sorry to Travis fans, but nice to see our girl is still on the run.

Also, after seeing Tower of friggin' Druaga get Smash representation, I find it hard to believe Puyo Puyo will get nothing by the time it's all over.
It had had it since Smash 4 though. The Mii Costume is a returning one.

D

Deleted member

Hope she comes next. We deserve our cute Arle. Bonus points if Amitie, Ringo, and Ally become Alternate characters for Arle a-la Bowser Jr., Hero, and Steve+Alex+Zombie+Enderman.

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, but still. Outside of Kingdom Hearts, Puyo Puyo is probably the biggest non-Western series not represented in any way in Smash.
As someone whose two most wanteds are Arle and Sora... I hope we get at least something for both by the time DLC is done >_<

Hope she comes next. We deserve our cute Arle. Bonus points if Amitie, Ringo, and Ally become Alternate characters for Arle a-la Bowser Jr., Hero, and Steve+Alex+Zombie+Enderman.
To be honest I’m not a fan of this idea for the same reason I’m not a fan of Daisy, Dark Samus, Alph and others characters being alts. Amitie, Ringo and Ally have distinct personalities that are different from Arle’s, and forcing them to use the same moves, animations and stuff won’t showcase that (which is why I’m happy with echoes since that isn’t the case with them). Putting them on top of each other won’t make them feel like Amitie, Ringo and Ally, it’d make them feel like Arle cosplaying Amitie, Ringo and Ally. I don’t think that would do those characters justice. To be fair that would probably be the only way at least Ringo and Ally would make it in but I’d rather have them not appear at all than have them appear but not be themselves.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

As someone whose two most wanteds are Arle and Sora... I hope we get at least something for both by the time DLC is done >_<

To be honest I’m not a fan of this idea for the same reason I’m not a fan of Daisy, Dark Samus, Alph and others characters being alts. Amitie, Ringo and Ally have distinct personalities that are different from Arle’s, and forcing them to use the same moves, animations and stuff won’t showcase that (which is why I’m happy with echoes since that isn’t the case with them). Putting them on top of each other won’t make them feel like Amitie, Ringo and Ally, it’d make them feel like Arle cosplaying Amitie, Ringo and Ally. I don’t think that would do those characters justice. To be fair that would probably be the only way at least Ringo and Ally would make it in but I’d rather have them not appear at all than have them appear but not be themselves.
Fair point... maybe Amitie should become the first ever DLC Echo Fighter.... besides, Amitie has been sidelined in recent games in terms of her own storyline, so to compensate, why not have her join Smash as well?

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
Fair point... maybe Amitie should become the first ever DLC Echo Fighter.... besides, Amitie has been sidelined in recent games in terms of her own storyline, so to compensate, why not have her join Smash as well?
I would love to see that happen. I don’t honestly think that is a possibility but a girl can dream :)

Top Bottom