• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Arle Nadja, Puyo Popper Extraordinaire pops into Smash Bros.! (New Management!)

Which Puyo protagonist would you prefer for Smash?

• Total voters

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 sounds great! I like the idea of character selection having more of a gameplay impact with unique skills...

Anyone have bold predictions/hopes for new characters/modes/concepts?
Well, don't get too excited. The new gameplay machanics are the subject of their own mode among all the others (Swap, Party, Big Bang and Fusion), and Sega has been trying to introduce new standards of Puyo play for years, but nothing has dislodged the fan vicegrips on standard Puyo Puyo 2 play.

That being said, this "Skill Battle" as they seem to call it is interesting in not relying solely on the mechanics of Puyo and Tetris. You've got an HP meter to go along with a regenerating MP bar needed to activate your three selected skills/support members, that also have a cooldown when used. It'll be nice to see some strategy beyond raw puzzle talent.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 sounds great! I like the idea of character selection having more of a gameplay impact with unique skills...

Anyone have bold predictions/hopes for new characters/modes/concepts?
You know, I'm starting to wonder if that Puyo survey from earlier this March might be coming into play for this game. I mean, between the increased Western promotion and the fact that we're getting a Puyo game (in its original form) BEFORE Japan, you have to admit that something seems suspect here.

That said, I'm really hoping this game drops the 24-character limit. I know Chronicle kind of broke it with Ragnus, Serilly, Harpy, Dongurigaeru, and Onion Pixie being playable in Skill Battle mode and Champions straight-up got rid of it via Rafisol and Paprisu, but this game is a worldwide release, packed all kinds of content.

Do you wonder why they're calling this Adventure mode new when it just sounds like the last game's story mode?
They said it's a "brand-new story," so I assume it's a pseudo-sequel... or something. I imagine the levels will be new to match the new mechanics/modes, at least.
I know it's a snowball's chance in Puyo Hell that this is actually going to come to pass, but what if this game goes the route of Fever 2's story mode?

amageish

Smash Master
Well, don't get too excited. The new gameplay machanics are the subject of their own mode among all the others (Swap, Party, Big Bang and Fusion), and Sega has been trying to introduce new standards of Puyo play for years, but nothing has dislodged the fan vicegrips on standard Puyo Puyo 2 play.

That being said, this "Skill Battle" as they seem to call it is interesting in not relying solely on the mechanics of Puyo and Tetris. You've got an HP meter to go along with a regenerating MP bar needed to activate your three selected skills/support members, that also have a cooldown when used. It'll be nice to see some strategy beyond raw puzzle talent.
Yeah, I'm sure it won't become the main method of play, but it seems like a super cool way to spice up the gameplay. I imagine it'll be both fun with friends and will spice up the story mode quite a bit...

I do hope the online is good, given the current state of the world... This definitely is a game that I'd like to be able to talk all my friends into buying, as I have played local multiplayer Puyo Puyo Tetris with them a lot...

You know, I'm starting to wonder if that Puyo survey from earlier this March might be coming into play for this game. I mean, between the increased Western promotion and the fact that we're getting a Puyo game (in its original form) BEFORE Japan, you have to admit that something seems suspect here.

That said, I'm really hoping this game drops the 24-character limit. I know Chronicle kind of broke it with Ragnus, Serilly, Harpy, Dongurigaeru, and Onion Pixie being playable in Skill Battle mode and Champions straight-up got rid of it via Rafisol and Paprisu, but this game is a worldwide release, packed all kinds of content.
I imagine it will... The fact it's a worldwide launch is amazing, especially given how long the original took to come out in English. Definitely feels like there is more going on in the background that we may not know yet...

I think they have to. Obviously not everyone plays Puyo for the characters, but having a roster the same size as the original would be... um... mildly underwhelming at this point, especially when they have a whole new mode dedicated to unique character skills/attacks? I'd be kind of surprised if they didn't break that mold...

I know it's a snowball's chance in Puyo Hell that this is actually going to come to pass, but what if this game goes the route of Fever 2's story mode?
I don't know what the story mode was like in that game... How did it work?

Additionally, the preorder bonus is confirmed... and it includes Sonic content?

So, combined with the fact it's getting DLC, I think we may be seeing a few different SEGA-SEGA collabs in addition to the larger Puyo-Tetris collabs. So, place your bets! Is it only Sonic? Sakura Wars? Space Channel 5? Persona? Other franchises not already featured in Puyo Puyo Quest?

My oddball pick is Catherine. It wouldn't tonally fit in the slightest, but it'd be funny to see ATLUS' puzzle game cross over with SEGA's puzzle game.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I've always loved Tetris and liked the older Puyo Puyo games I've played (though I admit I'm a bit rusty, probably been 8 years since I played one...), and I just picked up Puyo Puyo Tetris 1 after seeing yesterday's announcement. I'm having a lot of fun with it! Looking forward to the second one already and I'm really holding onto hope for Arle in Smash. Either in this Fighter's Pass or possibly in a future game since they're really still promoting the series.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I can't believe Puyo Puyo Tetris 1 is even a thing now.

I'll take a wild shot and predict the roster for this game. I'm going to guess there will be a few Skill Battle exclusives like Chronicle.

Confirmed: Arle, Amitie, Ringo, Risukuma, Maguro, Tee, Ess, O
Probably in: Draco, Witch, Suketoudara, Dark Prince, Rulue, Schezo, Sig, Raffina, Jay & Elle, Zed, Ai
Dunno if playable, gonna assume so: Maru, at least one unrevealed newcomer
Possibly?: Ex, the rest of the PPT/Champions returning cast
Starting to doubt it: Anybody not in PPT/Champions

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
I can't believe Puyo Puyo Tetris 1 is even a thing now.

I'll take a wild shot and predict the roster for this game. I'm going to guess there will be a few Skill Battle exclusives like Chronicle.

Confirmed: Arle, Amitie, Ringo, Risukuma, Maguro, Tee, Ess, O
Probably in: Draco, Witch, Suketoudara, Dark Prince, Rulue, Schezo, Sig, Raffina, Jay & Elle, Zed, Ai
Dunno if playable, gonna assume so: Maru, at least one unrevealed newcomer
Possibly?: Ex, the rest of the PPT/Champions returning cast
Starting to doubt it: Anybody not in PPT/Champions
The screenshot that shows the map screen (the one that confirms Maguro and Risukuma) shows that Grimp (Chronicles' World) appears in PPT2, so Ally feels like a safe bet. By extension Rafisol is likely playable as well.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

For some reason this fanart makes Arle and Alis Landale look like sisters.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
After playing Puyo Puyo Champions and Puyo Puyo Tetris a lot I can say that I am absolutely pumped for Puyo Puyo Tetris 2. The new character abilities sounds like it's going to be a lot of fun, even if it does end up being only in one mode or so. I just cannot put down these games, they are so good. I can't wait to see what other new modes they are adding.

The fact that we are actually getting a Puyo Puyo games a few days before Japan says a lot about how popular this series is getting in the West. Arle really is in a great spot right now. The Switch is getting a lot of Puyo Puyo love and Sega has been pushing the series more and more. It's a great time to be a Arle supporter.

While I'm expecting Arle to likely be a character in this pass, I would be surprised if Puyo Puyo isn't acknowledged at all when it's all said and done. At the very least, a spirit event would be appreciated. Though I do need that Puyo Puyo music in Smash.

While I'm here, I want to ask all of you Puyo Puyo fans some questions since I don't visit these support threads a lot.

1. What is your favorite way to play Puyo Puyo? What I mean is that are you more of a casual player who likes to play around in the single player and local multiplayer modes? What are your favorite modes? Or are you more of a competitive player who plays online a lot?

2. How did you get into this series?

For me, my favorite thing is playing Puyo Puyo Tetris with 4 players in Swap mode. It's absolute chaos, it keeps you on your toes more so than usual, and it allows you to play the best puzzle games at once. Honestly I have been spending most of my time in this mode and Versus mode. I have been playing for hours and I haven't even touched the Adventure mode or even online yet. The A.I gives you a good challenge and I'm constantly learning.

As for how I got into this series, well my first experience with the gameplay was with Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine. I saw one of my favorite Youtubers play it a long time ago and eventually I played it through the Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection. It is easily my most played game in that collection alongside Vectorman. As for how I got into Puyo Puyo itself, admittedly it was in large part due to PapaGenos talking about her a lot leading up to FP5. I got curious about the series and decided to try out the Puyo Puyo Tetris demo. I was instantly sold. I got Puyo Puyo Champions then later on I got Puyo Puyo Tetris. I love both games and I have to say that this series is my favorite puzzle series (Alongside Catherine).

amageish

Smash Master
Welcome to the thread! Glad to hear you're enjoying the games and are excited for the sequel.

1. What is your favorite way to play Puyo Puyo? What I mean is that are you more of a casual player who likes to play around in the single player and local multiplayer modes? What are your favorite modes? Or are you more of a competitive player who plays online a lot?

2. How did you get into this series?
When with friends, I tend to do Puyo Puyo Tetris in Swap mode as well. I know it's not the technically most balanced mode, but it's fun to do as co-op and has the right amount to chaos in my opinion, while I find some of the item-gimmick-party-modes are a bit too much chaos for me. Otherwise, I just do standard Puyo Puyo 2 by myself mostly. I do not have the confidance to go online lol.

I got into it via the Sega 3D Classics Collection! I probably played the games earlier as a kid and have vague memories of Puyo Pop on the DS, but Classics Collection is when I recall playing it and enjoying it as Puyo Puyo itself. I then bought Puyo Puyo Tetris, partly because of it just feeling like a miracle it had been localized at all and partly because I have had addictions to both puzzle games independently of each other already...

Here's a bonus question: What characters do you all usually play as when Puyoing? I often am boring and stick with Arle/Ringo, but have been playing a lot of Ciel in Champions. Idk why, but the angel student council member is a funny concept/personality to me...

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Mean Bean Machine as part of Sonic Mega Collection, forgot the game existed for a while and then randomly found it again as part of Sega 3D Classics Collection in an EB Games I don't normally visit. I didn't even know Puyo Puyo was part of it. Restore points are a pretty great incentive to practice and improve.

I think I picked up Puyo Puyo Tetris largely out of a lack of other options (easy to forget there wasn't terribly many must-have games at Switch launch, especially if you're like me and had to get the Wii U Breath of the Wild). Then I played the Adventure mode and the quirky cast cast hit me like a ton of bricks and blobs.

Welcome to the thread! Glad to hear you're enjoying the games and are excited for the sequel.

When with friends, I tend to do Puyo Puyo Tetris in Swap mode as well. I know it's not the technically most balanced mode, but it's fun to do as co-op and has the right amount to chaos in my opinion, while I find some of the item-gimmick-party-modes are a bit too much chaos for me. Otherwise, I just do standard Puyo Puyo 2 by myself mostly. I do not have the confidance to go online lol.

I got into it via the Sega 3D Classics Collection! I probably played the games earlier as a kid and have vague memories of Puyo Pop on the DS, but Classics Collection is when I recall playing it and enjoying it as Puyo Puyo itself. I then bought Puyo Puyo Tetris, partly because of it just feeling like a miracle it had been localized at all and partly because I have had addictions to both puzzle games independently of each other already...

Here's a bonus question: What characters do you all usually play as when Puyoing? I often am boring and stick with Arle/Ringo, but have been playing a lot of Ciel in Champions. Idk why, but the angel student council member is a funny concept/personality to me...
Schezo, Arle and Dark Prince in Puyo Puyo Tetris, Sultana and Serilly in Champions. It's mostly a question of if their voice is good to listen to, but my champion mains also have compelling personalities, and Schezo had a great bonus campaign.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I don't know what the story mode was like in that game... How did it work?
Just so you know, I haven't played Fever 2 either. I'm just doing my best to summarize things.

The story boasts nine different 'courses' (chapters, in other words). Three times of that from the original Puyo Puyo Fever. Each of the three main characters (Amitie, Raffina, and Sig) have three adventures to go through, each with a different story.

That being said, the main plot of the WakuWaku courses involves the Primp kids meeting Lemres for the first time, who is visiting Primp Magic School, and the plot of the HaraHara course involves stopping Klug, who has become possessed by his book.

So there's actually going to be some co-op raid battles against bosses. I suppose that could be one way to spice up the campaign.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/08/puyo_puyo_tetris_2_will_feature_all-new_co-op_boss_raids
Wait, is PPT2 really going to feature ACTUAL bosses, or is this going to be what Chronicle did, where the playable cast themselves were the 'bosses'?

By the way, does anyone get the feeling that this game's story is going to be a tad... darker than PPT1? Like, maybe not Yo~n levels of dark (Oh no, that'd be asking far too much of SEGA to pull off in a good way), but a tad more serious?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Just so you know, I haven't played Fever 2 either. I'm just doing my best to summarize things.

The story boasts nine different 'courses' (chapters, in other words). Three times of that from the original Puyo Puyo Fever. Each of the three main characters (Amitie, Raffina, and Sig) have three adventures to go through, each with a different story.

That being said, the main plot of the WakuWaku courses involves the Primp kids meeting Lemres for the first time, who is visiting Primp Magic School, and the plot of the HaraHara course involves stopping Klug, who has become possessed by his book.

Wait, is PPT2 really going to feature ACTUAL bosses, or is this going to be what Chronicle did, where the playable cast themselves were the 'bosses'?

By the way, does anyone get the feeling that this game's story is going to be a tad... darker than PPT1? Like, maybe not Yo~n levels of dark (Oh no, that'd be asking far too much of SEGA to pull off in a good way), but a tad more serious?
What does it matter if the bosses are jacked up player characters or not? Isn't Chronicles a single player game anyway?

This sounds more along the lines of a Max Raid Battle from Pokemon, or Vs. Hedlok in ARMS party mode. Maybe the weird behaviour seen with Rulue, Raffina and Feli will be explored more, with an actual power boost to go with it.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Check out this fantastic fan-made Arle render (please disregard other characters)!
It's Ultimate's details, but still faithful to her artstyle!

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Hey there! Is this thread still active since all of a sudden I really wanted support Arle and the whole entirety of the Puyo Puyo franchise in Smash?

Weirdly enough I feel kinda neutral about Arle inclusion but suddenly when I'm on a group chat with several other people others mocked me for defending an argument in the comment that Arle isn't more than just a cute anime girl with a personality of a paper and only Weeb would support her and that there isn't much to do with her (keep in mind these guys are all supporter of Dante and says that he has more potential since he can do anything that Arle can't). Then, I prove my point by making Duck Hunt as an example but they still won't believe me saying at least he has the NES Zapper to go along with him which in fact really wrong considering at least she came from an RPG before Puyo Puyo were a real thing. Finally when I don't have anything to argue or defend they finally called me a hypocrite.

metalhydra273

Smash Apprentice
Weirdly enough I feel kinda neutral about Arle inclusion but suddenly when I'm on a group chat with several other people others mocked me for defending an argument in the comment that Arle isn't more than just a cute anime girl with a personality of a paper and only Weeb would support her and that there isn't much to do with her (keep in mind these guys are all supporter of Dante and says that he has more potential since he can do anything that Arle can't). Then, I prove my point by making Duck Hunt as an example but they still won't believe me saying at least he has the NES Zapper to go along with him which in fact really wrong considering at least she came from an RPG before Puyo Puyo were a real thing. Finally when I don't have anything to argue or defend they finally called me a hypocrite.
Talking about puyo is inherently cringe if it isn't with another fan, a lot like talking about anime with people who aren't fans of it. It ends up just being pretty uncomfortable to talk about to non fans for whatever reason at least in my experience. It's probably a reason people just tend to write her off quickly, with her being some cute anime girl from a puzzle game of all things. I'd say not many people (especially in the west) know that much about puyo lore and history lol. I still think she has plenty of moveset potential. Hoping it's some kind of combo with her spells and some puyo and not just the puzzle aspect, I feel like it'd be too gimicky and make her kind of olimar esc.

Calane

Smash Ace
Hey there! Is this thread still active since all of a sudden I really wanted support Arle and the whole entirety of the Puyo Puyo franchise in Smash?

If you ever find yourself in a situation like that again, I'd recommend linking them this page and telling them to read her list of spells since they're all there. Even the more obscure ones. If they still don't get it, then I'd tell them that Arle could essentially work like a Final Fantasy Black Mage with some sort of Puyo gimmick. She's an RPG mage who'd most likely fight entirely with magic, so imagine stuff like having a back air that freezes opponents with snowflakes, or an up tilt that launches fire balls into the air. There's plenty of room for improvising with her abilities. Even if you stuck to only the spells that appear in the Puyo Puyo games, she'd still have plenty to work with in terms of moveset. That's all without getting into whatever puyo-based gimmick she'd probably have.

I thought they could maybe have her stick puyos to her opponents by performing a pummel (grab attack? whatever you're supposed to call it). If you managed to stick at least four puyos onto an opponent before throwing them, they'd pop for massive damage. Maybe they'd also stay stuck onto opponents for a while if you failed to connect four initially, which gives Arle a limited amount of time to re-grab them and finish the job. That's just how I'd incorporate puyos into her moveset, but I'm sure there's a bunch of other ideas out there that are more elaborate than mine.

If they leaned into Arle's mage side for most of her moveset, while also giving her some kind of puyo-based gimmick on top of that, I think she'd have the potential to be one of the most unique newcomers in the game.

Though not everybody thinks like me, lol.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero

So, I take it you'd like to be added to the support list?

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I finally added Arle somewhere in my sig. There was an open spot for her anyway :p

If it's worth showing off, I hope it's really like an adventure :) Well I'm curious in any case to see what it is.
I have to admit, I'm also REALLY curious as to what this game's story will entail. Granted, I'm CAUTIOUSLY optimistic (due to SEGA kind of dropping the ball almost consistently with its writing). I mean, I don't expect the story to be this dark, brooding epic or anything. But it would be nice to see things feel more coherent.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I have to admit, I'm also REALLY curious as to what this game's story will entail. Granted, I'm CAUTIOUSLY optimistic (due to SEGA kind of dropping the ball almost consistently with its writing). I mean, I don't expect the story to be this dark, brooding epic or anything. But it would be nice to see things feel more coherent.
Oh I don't need a super deep story, though that would be cool, I just think it'd be nice if it felt like an adventure, maybe even being able to have different maps to go around. I'm not trying to set myself up for disappointment, just saying that'd be fun :)

Naoyatodo

Smash Apprentice
Hey, guys! Hope y'all are doin' alright.

I've been workshopping this Arle moveset concept for a while now. I was never super confident in it, since it needs to be both faithful to the character and balanced for gameplay. I was hoping I could ask you guys for advance, since I assume you know a lot more about Madou Monogatari than I do.

Here's a concept I made for her neutral special, which is kind of what I'm trying to base her whole moveset around:
My intent here was to represent basic Puyo Puyo gameplay both visually (with falling blocks being used as projectiles) and mechanically (setting up Puyos to pull off long strings of attacks). There's a few things here I wish I elaborated on, and a few more things I would've changed (mostly little stuff, like the Puyo color being based on Arle's alt rather than player number), but I'm still mostly satisfied with it.

I've included my ideas for the rest of her moveset here:
Arle's meant to be kind of a unique combo-oriented character who specializes in stage control. Her movement speed reflects this, giving her fast ground speed, air speed, and fall speed necessarily to maneuver around the stage as quickly as possible. However, she's not a rushdown character, so a lot of her moves have some start up lag that make them unsuitable as combo starters, with a few exceptions. Instead, a lot of her attacks, particularly her aerials, are designed to be combo extenders, or suitable follow-ups to landing a Puyo.

Most direct references to Madou Monogatari would be purely aesthetic/acoustic. One idea I had is that Arle's idle animation and facial expressions would change depending on her current percentage, becoming more visibly in pain as she takes damage. Another is that her voice clip for Smash attacks would change depending on how long the player charges them, with her stuttering the name of each spell in reference to Diacute.

For her standard attacks, she mostly uses fire, lightning, and ice magic, with a few kicks filling in the gaps. Her down tilt could be a sweep kick used for spacing. Her neutral air could be an ice-infused spin attack, hitting opponents multiple times before sending them in a combo-friendly angle. Her back air could have her turn around and create a fiery explosion that deals heavy knockback, etc.

Her Side Special would be Garbage Puyo, summoning a small row of gray Puyos in front of Arle. They'd have less utility than regular Puyos, but they give Arle more stage control, cause opponents to flinch upon contact, and are cleared when coming into contact with regular Puyos.

Her Up Special would be Heaven's Ray(?), causing a beam of light magic to shoot up from below and launch Arle directly upwards, with a limited amount of horizontal movement. Arle would spin like a missile when using this move, causing it to function like a multihitting uppercut, like Super Jump Punch. It makes for a very good finisher to a Puyo combo.

Her Down Special would be Mind Blast(?). Think Mewtwo's Confusion but slower, with more range, and without the eye-contact condition. Opponents caught in its range will enter a Dizzy state, allowing Arle to set up a Puyo combo without interruption. Like every move that immobilizes the opponent, it's more effective if the enemy has higher percent.

Final Smashes are usually the moves I elaborate the least on in these movesets, since they're usually cinematic and would be hard or uninteresting to convey visually or verbally. That said, most Arle movesets I've seen include Bayoen as her Final Smash, which is apparently her signature move. I have no idea how to convey that visually, besides the fact that it involves flowers.

And that's about it. I'm a little confused as to the names of various spells, since I'm not sure which localized name to use. Any feedback, or visual examples of any of the moves listed above, would be greatly appreciated.

amageish

Smash Master

"Branching Overworld"

Was... this already known? I didn't know that. That is good info to have.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Hey, guys! Hope y'all are doin' alright.

I've been workshopping this Arle moveset concept for a while now. I was never super confident in it, since it needs to be both faithful to the character and balanced for gameplay. I was hoping I could ask you guys for advance, since I assume you know a lot more about Madou Monogatari than I do.

Here's a concept I made for her neutral special, which is kind of what I'm trying to base her whole moveset around:
My intent here was to represent basic Puyo Puyo gameplay both visually (with falling blocks being used as projectiles) and mechanically (setting up Puyos to pull off long strings of attacks). There's a few things here I wish I elaborated on, and a few more things I would've changed (mostly little stuff, like the Puyo color being based on Arle's alt rather than player number), but I'm still mostly satisfied with it.

I've included my ideas for the rest of her moveset here:
Arle's meant to be kind of a unique combo-oriented character who specializes in stage control. Her movement speed reflects this, giving her fast ground speed, air speed, and fall speed necessarily to maneuver around the stage as quickly as possible. However, she's not a rushdown character, so a lot of her moves have some start up lag that make them unsuitable as combo starters, with a few exceptions. Instead, a lot of her attacks, particularly her aerials, are designed to be combo extenders, or suitable follow-ups to landing a Puyo.

Most direct references to Madou Monogatari would be purely aesthetic/acoustic. One idea I had is that Arle's idle animation and facial expressions would change depending on her current percentage, becoming more visibly in pain as she takes damage. Another is that her voice clip for Smash attacks would change depending on how long the player charges them, with her stuttering the name of each spell in reference to Diacute.

For her standard attacks, she mostly uses fire, lightning, and ice magic, with a few kicks filling in the gaps. Her down tilt could be a sweep kick used for spacing. Her neutral air could be an ice-infused spin attack, hitting opponents multiple times before sending them in a combo-friendly angle. Her back air could have her turn around and create a fiery explosion that deals heavy knockback, etc.

Her Side Special would be Garbage Puyo, summoning a small row of gray Puyos in front of Arle. They'd have less utility than regular Puyos, but they give Arle more stage control, cause opponents to flinch upon contact, and are cleared when coming into contact with regular Puyos.

Her Up Special would be Heaven's Ray(?), causing a beam of light magic to shoot up from below and launch Arle directly upwards, with a limited amount of horizontal movement. Arle would spin like a missile when using this move, causing it to function like a multihitting uppercut, like Super Jump Punch. It makes for a very good finisher to a Puyo combo.

Her Down Special would be Mind Blast(?). Think Mewtwo's Confusion but slower, with more range, and without the eye-contact condition. Opponents caught in its range will enter a Dizzy state, allowing Arle to set up a Puyo combo without interruption. Like every move that immobilizes the opponent, it's more effective if the enemy has higher percent.

Final Smashes are usually the moves I elaborate the least on in these movesets, since they're usually cinematic and would be hard or uninteresting to convey visually or verbally. That said, most Arle movesets I've seen include Bayoen as her Final Smash, which is apparently her signature move. I have no idea how to convey that visually, besides the fact that it involves flowers.

And that's about it. I'm a little confused as to the names of various spells, since I'm not sure which localized name to use. Any feedback, or visual examples of any of the moves listed above, would be greatly appreciated.
This... doesn't really reflect how Puyos work much, if at all.

Single matches hardly do anything to your opponent, let alone pieces. The chains you make with them are what fuels the spells used in battle and give you garbage. You can't create garbage from nothing, and having them cleared by pieces ignores their very purpose of being hard to clear.

It would be far simpler to just have a special bring up a preset board of Puyos lined up for a chain like in Fever, where you just have to correctly drop the last piece. Getting optimal chains builds a stock of garbage used for powering up certain moves and used as fuel for a garbage-dropping special, while also granting more complex boards for faster gain. Sub-optimal chains or being interrupted still grant garbage but drop down the level, and being attacked causes you to lose some of your built up garbage.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
So here's a question. Im doing a SEGA Fan roster, and i decided to add Puyo Puyo in the roster. I have an idea as to how Arle would play, but i have a question.

Do you guys think it would be possible for Amity to be an Echo Fighter/moveset clone in theory? I know the Puyo Puyo mechanics but i wanted to make a question to you guys. I don't want to make a Captain Falcon/Ganondorf situation here.

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
So here's a question. Im doing a SEGA Fan roster, and i decided to add Puyo Puyo in the roster. I have an idea as to how Arle would play, but i have a question.

Do you guys think it would be possible for Amity to be an Echo Fighter/moveset clone in theory? I know the Puyo Puyo mechanics but i wanted to make a question to you guys. I don't want to make a Captain Falcon/Ganondorf situation here.
I mean her spells is partially similar to Arle with the exception of Whirlwind

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
I mean her spells is partially similar to Arle with the exception of Whirlwind
I'm also thinking about making a Moveset for her with half of her moves were borrowed from Choppun animation in Puyo Puyo Sun, it's not really that far-fetched considering he's just a guy who wear the same clothes as Arle but with a paper bag on his head

KillerCage

Smash Master
I'm also thinking about making a Moveset for her with half of her moves were borrowed from Choppun animation in Puyo Puyo Sun, it's not really that far-fetched considering he's just a guy who wear the same clothes as Arle but with a paper bag on his head
Can you please not double post?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Sorry if that bother you, I'm new to Smashboards so I don't know what I even do
It's actually a rule here, to not post right after your own post. you should use the edit button to add something to it instead.

But also it's better if people report double posts instead of derailing the topic :p

In any case, I don't think anyone can hope for clone/echo characters for dlc, although that would be cool.

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman

She could to a degree, I think it'd fit her best to be a clone/echo since then she could get differences from Arle that'd make her stand out. Normally though, Arle and Amitie share spells, for example, Arle has Fireball, Ice Storm, and Thunder, to contrast, Amitie has Flame, Blizzard and Lightning Bolt. They're close enough. Of course, that's not all of their spells, and that's where the clone/echo differences would go. Or at least that's how I imagine it in a way.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Here's a cool fun fact. The fighting game Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax was published by SEGA and had the SEGA Sound Team do the entire soundtrack for the game, there was even SEGA stages in it.

(This was NiGHTS stage music)

But here's an even cooler thing, the games main theme was sung by Arle's Voice Actor, Mie Sonozaki and composed by Kenichi Tokoi, Guitar was by Jun Senoue.

Last edited:
Top Bottom